Binary package hint: inkscape
Since upgrade to Maverick, rulers sometimes forget to refresh. It happens only on plain pointer move over canvas area. Middle mouse button panning triggers proper ruler repainting, for example. Image is attached to illustrate the problem.
Probably not inkscape's fault directly, this bug, but so far, I've only experienced problems there. Please reassign at will.
== Ubuntu stable release update (SRU) notes ==
* IMPACT/JUSTIFICATION: This bug makes the on-screen rulers in Inkscape effectively unusable for every Maverick user. Please see the large number of "affects me"/duplicate bugs. This is a major issue for a graphics package, in which precise measurements may be required. Backporting the fix would make a log of people happy!
* DETAILS OF FIX: The bug is fixed in the latest upstream version of Inkscape (0.48.1), which is a bug-fix only release. This version has been released in Natty as inkscape_0.48.1-0ubuntu1. The upstream fix was applied in bzr in r9725 of lp:inkscape/0.48.x
* PATCH DETAILS: The upstream patch has been attached to this report (see 9725_9724.diff). This patch fixes the single issue described in this report, and introduces no additional changes.
* TEST CASE: Start Inkscape; move mouse across canvas. Black triangular cursor marks are splattered across both rulers. [Expected result: A single cursor moves smoothly across each ruler to match the position of the mouse pointer]
* REGRESSION POTENTIAL: As far as I know, no new bugs have been reported concerning the rulers in Inkscape 0.48.1 since this patch was applied.
-- Alex Valavanis