grub-pc fails to remove, rendering lubuntu uninstallable on EFI machines

Bug #1639374 reported by Jeff Barkley on 2016-11-04
This bug affects 151 people
Affects Status Importance Assigned to Milestone
grub2 (Ubuntu)
High
Unassigned
lubuntu-meta (Ubuntu)
High
Unassigned

Bug Description

Crashed during install

ProblemType: Bug
DistroRelease: Ubuntu 16.10
Package: ubiquity 16.10.14
ProcVersionSignature: Ubuntu 4.8.0-22.24-generic 4.8.0
Uname: Linux 4.8.0-22-generic x86_64
ApportVersion: 2.20.3-0ubuntu8
Architecture: amd64
CasperVersion: 1.379
Date: Fri Nov 4 18:31:30 2016
InstallCmdLine: BOOT_IMAGE=/casper/vmlinuz.efi file=/cdrom/preseed/lubuntu.seed cdrom-detect/try-usb=true persistent noprompt floppy.allowed_drive_mask=0 ignore_uuid boot=casper only-ubiquity quiet splash ---
LiveMediaBuild: Lubuntu 16.10 "Yakkety Yak" - Release amd64 (20161012.1)
ProcEnviron:
 PATH=(custom, no user)
 XDG_RUNTIME_DIR=<set>
 LANG=en_US.UTF-8
 LC_NUMERIC=C.UTF-8
SourcePackage: grub-installer
UpgradeStatus: No upgrade log present (probably fresh install)

Jeff Barkley (jbarkley) wrote :
Phillip Susi (psusi) wrote :

The relevant error appears to be:

dpkg: error processing package grub-pc (--purge):
subprocess installed pre-removal script returned error exit status 10

affects: grub-installer (Ubuntu) → grub2 (Ubuntu)
Launchpad Janitor (janitor) wrote :

Status changed to 'Confirmed' because the bug affects multiple users.

Changed in grub2 (Ubuntu):
status: New → Confirmed
Phillip Susi (psusi) on 2016-11-30
Changed in grub2 (Ubuntu):
status: Confirmed → Triaged
importance: Undecided → Critical
Phillip Susi (psusi) on 2016-11-30
summary: - lubuntu crashing during Installation
+ grub-pc fails to remove, causing lubuntu installs to crash

Even if a grub2 developer read this bug, I guess it is not feasible for grub2 to read BIOS configuration (like FastBoot and SecureBoot of Lenovo B50).

In that case, having a list of BIOS configurations that are or are not compatible with grub2 can help a newcomer troubleshoot such cases.

kcdtv (kcdtv78) wrote :

Hi there!
In my case the issue is just with Lubuntu 16,10... I have kali linux installed (kernel 4.8) and no issue.
Both installations were done in EFI mode
My BIOS is "toshiba v 5.10"

travis thorne (travatine) wrote :

Hi,

I had this problem with lubuntu 16.10 using efi & secure boot.
Install worked ok with "ubuntu" 16.10, with efi mode with secure boot turned off

By bios version is Aspire es1-411

Maris Nikos (nicos.maris) wrote :

If people can comment on this ticket whether the following is true in their case, then the following page can be updated.

"In your firmware, disable QuickBoot/FastBoot and Intel Smart Response Technology (SRT). If you have Windows 8, also disable Fast Startup... Support for UEFI SecureBoot appeared in 12.10 and 12.04.2."

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/UEFI#General_principles

In my case I disabled both FastBoot and SecureBoot so maybe FastBoot was the root cause.

Phillip Susi (psusi) wrote :

So without fastboot and secureboot, you are able to install lubuntu? Or did you also switch to ubuntu?

Maris Nikos (nicos.maris) wrote :

Yes after disabling fastboot and secureboot, I didn't see this error and Lubuntu was installed successfully. I didn't try Ubuntu at all.

Grub seams to depend on BIOS settings specific to each vendor (Lenovo, etc) like fastboot and that this irrelevent to which ubuntu distribution we talk about.

Considering that new laptops usually have such settings, that newbies do not really read long pages of documentation like that of UEFI and that ubuntu is "Linux for Human Beings", we need either to fix it or to have a clear documentation for newbies who want to install ubuntu.

lastopier (pavolpolonec) wrote :

I managed to solve my problem. Somehow, my Lubuntu installation started in efi mode, but it only had grub package for mbr. When I downloaded grub for efi, Lubuntu installed correctly.

Phillip Susi (psusi) wrote :

Strange... I thought it was an error in the way lubuntu was packaged since it only seems to happen with Lubuntu and not with any other flavors. Fastboot and secureboot should have nothing to do with grub-pc's removal.

Maris Nikos (nicos.maris) wrote :

I am adding the lubuntu-packaging team as this affects Lubuntu and not other ubuntu distributions.

grub is packaged in a way that breaks the installation when BIOS has fastboot enabled.

This most likely has nothing at all to do with Fastboot or Secure Boot. The system appears to be correctly detected as booted in UEFI mode; which will trigger grub-installer removing grub-pc (since it's not needed).

For instance, from the logs:
Nov 4 22:31:02 lubuntu grub-installer: info: architecture: amd64/efi

Can you successfully install using the alternate ISO? It seems to me like that one should work, and we're likely seeing the effect of bug 1649462 (so Phillip would be right that this is an issue with how Lubuntu is "packaged").

I'll run the test here to make sure. This shows we don't have enough people testing ISOs in UEFI mode.

I was able to use a boot repair tool while booted from the installer USB:

http://askubuntu.com/questions/226061/how-to-install-the-boot-repair-tool-in-an-ubuntu-live-disc

That seemed to fix things. Sorry for the delayed response.

On Mon, Jan 9, 2017, 8:05 PM Mathieu Trudel-Lapierre <email address hidden>
wrote:

> This most likely has nothing at all to do with Fastboot or Secure Boot.
> The system appears to be correctly detected as booted in UEFI mode;
> which will trigger grub-installer removing grub-pc (since it's not
> needed).
>
> For instance, from the logs:
> Nov 4 22:31:02 lubuntu grub-installer: info: architecture: amd64/efi
>
> Can you successfully install using the alternate ISO? It seems to me
> like that one should work, and we're likely seeing the effect of bug
> 1649462 (so Phillip would be right that this is an issue with how
> Lubuntu is "packaged").
>
> I'll run the test here to make sure. This shows we don't have enough
> people testing ISOs in UEFI mode.
>
> --
> You received this bug notification because you are subscribed to a
> duplicate bug report (1643354).
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/1639374
>
> Title:
> grub-pc fails to remove, causing lubuntu installs to crash
>
> Status in grub2 package in Ubuntu:
> Triaged
>
> Bug description:
> Crashed during install
>
> ProblemType: Bug
> DistroRelease: Ubuntu 16.10
> Package: ubiquity 16.10.14
> ProcVersionSignature: Ubuntu 4.8.0-22.24-generic 4.8.0
> Uname: Linux 4.8.0-22-generic x86_64
> ApportVersion: 2.20.3-0ubuntu8
> Architecture: amd64
> CasperVersion: 1.379
> Date: Fri Nov 4 18:31:30 2016
> InstallCmdLine: BOOT_IMAGE=/casper/vmlinuz.efi
> file=/cdrom/preseed/lubuntu.seed cdrom-detect/try-usb=true persistent
> noprompt floppy.allowed_drive_mask=0 ignore_uuid boot=casper only-ubiquity
> quiet splash ---
> LiveMediaBuild: Lubuntu 16.10 "Yakkety Yak" - Release amd64 (20161012.1)
> ProcEnviron:
> PATH=(custom, no user)
> XDG_RUNTIME_DIR=<set>
> LANG=en_US.UTF-8
> LC_NUMERIC=C.UTF-8
> SourcePackage: grub-installer
> UpgradeStatus: No upgrade log present (probably fresh install)
>
> To manage notifications about this bug go to:
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/grub2/+bug/1639374/+subscriptions
>

Thomas W. Fort (twiffoid) wrote :
Download full text (4.0 KiB)

The problem was the Windows flash drive. I zeroed it out, and then
installation finished fine. I wanted the flash drive to be the boot drive,
but the installer skipped it, and used the larger drive for all partitions.
The system has been fine ever since.

On Mon, Jan 9, 2017, 9:15 PM Christopher Michael Rogers <
<email address hidden>> wrote:

> I was able to use a boot repair tool while booted from the installer
> USB:
>
> http://askubuntu.com/questions/226061/how-to-install-the-boot-repair-
> tool-in-an-ubuntu-live-disc
> <http://askubuntu.com/questions/226061/how-to-install-the-boot-repair-tool-in-an-ubuntu-live-disc>
>
> That seemed to fix things. Sorry for the delayed response.
>
> On Mon, Jan 9, 2017, 8:05 PM Mathieu Trudel-Lapierre <<email address hidden>
> >
> wrote:
>
> > This most likely has nothing at all to do with Fastboot or Secure Boot.
> > The system appears to be correctly detected as booted in UEFI mode;
> > which will trigger grub-installer removing grub-pc (since it's not
> > needed).
> >
> > For instance, from the logs:
> > Nov 4 22:31:02 lubuntu grub-installer: info: architecture: amd64/efi
> >
> > Can you successfully install using the alternate ISO? It seems to me
> > like that one should work, and we're likely seeing the effect of bug
> > 1649462 (so Phillip would be right that this is an issue with how
> > Lubuntu is "packaged").
> >
> > I'll run the test here to make sure. This shows we don't have enough
> > people testing ISOs in UEFI mode.
> >
> > --
> > You received this bug notification because you are subscribed to a
> > duplicate bug report (1643354).
> > https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/1639374
> >
> > Title:
> > grub-pc fails to remove, causing lubuntu installs to crash
> >
> > Status in grub2 package in Ubuntu:
> > Triaged
> >
> > Bug description:
> > Crashed during install
> >
> > ProblemType: Bug
> > DistroRelease: Ubuntu 16.10
> > Package: ubiquity 16.10.14
> > ProcVersionSignature: Ubuntu 4.8.0-22.24-generic 4.8.0
> > Uname: Linux 4.8.0-22-generic x86_64
> > ApportVersion: 2.20.3-0ubuntu8
> > Architecture: amd64
> > CasperVersion: 1.379
> > Date: Fri Nov 4 18:31:30 2016
> > InstallCmdLine: BOOT_IMAGE=/casper/vmlinuz.efi
> > file=/cdrom/preseed/lubuntu.seed cdrom-detect/try-usb=true persistent
> > noprompt floppy.allowed_drive_mask=0 ignore_uuid boot=casper
> only-ubiquity
> > quiet splash ---
> > LiveMediaBuild: Lubuntu 16.10 "Yakkety Yak" - Release amd64
> (20161012.1)
> > ProcEnviron:
> > PATH=(custom, no user)
> > XDG_RUNTIME_DIR=<set>
> > LANG=en_US.UTF-8
> > LC_NUMERIC=C.UTF-8
> > SourcePackage: grub-installer
> > UpgradeStatus: No upgrade log present (probably fresh install)
> >
> > To manage notifications about this bug go to:
> >
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/grub2/+bug/1639374/+subscriptions
> >
>
> --
> You received this bug notification because you are subscribed to a
> duplicate bug report (1649975).
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/1639374
>
> Title:
> grub-pc fails to remove, causing lubuntu installs to crash
>
> Status in grub2 package in Ubuntu:
> Triaged
>
> Bug description:
> Crashed during install
>
> ProblemType:...

Read more...

I'm glad some people managed to fix their issues. I'll mark this bug Incomplete since the original reporter hasn't answered.

To be frank though, it's probably best to avoid using boot-repair if possible unless you really can't do a new install (which shouldn't be an issue if you've just ran into issues with the installer...)

Changed in grub2 (Ubuntu):
status: Triaged → Incomplete
importance: Critical → Medium
Phillip Susi (psusi) wrote :

There are dozens of duplicates. EFI installs of lubuntu are completely broken.

Changed in grub2 (Ubuntu):
importance: Medium → Critical
status: Incomplete → Triaged
Brian Murray (brian-murray) wrote :

 $ lp-bug-dupe-properties -b 1639374 --rtags
LP: #1639374 has 44 duplicates
  xenial: 1644353
  yakkety: 1632560 1639341 1639384 1639612 1640619 1641323 1642779 1643266 1643354 1643366 1644969 1644980 1646471 1646600 1647051 1647108 1647314 1647413 1647854 1647857 1647919 1648505 1648687 1648859 1649022 1649087 1649676 1649769 1649975 1650743 1650773 1650876 1650885 1651008 1651209 1651582 1651921 1652090 1652362 1653465 1653814 1654074 1654138

It'd be helpful if somebody would test this with the development release of Ubuntu, zesty, which will become 17.04.

I am the original poster. I can't really help a lot. boot repair was not
the best fix but it got the system running. basically, the system never
worked properly and I eventually had to give up and I have been using an
older ubuntu system.

On Fri, Jan 13, 2017 at 11:54 PM, Brian Murray <email address hidden> wrote:

> $ lp-bug-dupe-properties -b 1639374 --rtags
> LP: #1639374 has 44 duplicates
> xenial: 1644353
> yakkety: 1632560 1639341 1639384 1639612 1640619 1641323 1642779 1643266
> 1643354 1643366 1644969 1644980 1646471 1646600 1647051 1647108 1647314
> 1647413 1647854 1647857 1647919 1648505 1648687 1648859 1649022 1649087
> 1649676 1649769 1649975 1650743 1650773 1650876 1650885 1651008 1651209
> 1651582 1651921 1652090 1652362 1653465 1653814 1654074 1654138
>
> It'd be helpful if somebody would test this with the development release
> of Ubuntu, zesty, which will become 17.04.
>
> --
> You received this bug notification because you are subscribed to a
> duplicate bug report (1648859).
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/1639374
>
> Title:
> grub-pc fails to remove, causing lubuntu installs to crash
>
> Status in grub2 package in Ubuntu:
> Triaged
>
> Bug description:
> Crashed during install
>
> ProblemType: Bug
> DistroRelease: Ubuntu 16.10
> Package: ubiquity 16.10.14
> ProcVersionSignature: Ubuntu 4.8.0-22.24-generic 4.8.0
> Uname: Linux 4.8.0-22-generic x86_64
> ApportVersion: 2.20.3-0ubuntu8
> Architecture: amd64
> CasperVersion: 1.379
> Date: Fri Nov 4 18:31:30 2016
> InstallCmdLine: BOOT_IMAGE=/casper/vmlinuz.efi
> file=/cdrom/preseed/lubuntu.seed cdrom-detect/try-usb=true persistent
> noprompt floppy.allowed_drive_mask=0 ignore_uuid boot=casper only-ubiquity
> quiet splash ---
> LiveMediaBuild: Lubuntu 16.10 "Yakkety Yak" - Release amd64 (20161012.1)
> ProcEnviron:
> PATH=(custom, no user)
> XDG_RUNTIME_DIR=<set>
> LANG=en_US.UTF-8
> LC_NUMERIC=C.UTF-8
> SourcePackage: grub-installer
> UpgradeStatus: No upgrade log present (probably fresh install)
>
> To manage notifications about this bug go to:
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/grub2/+bug/
> 1639374/+subscriptions
>

Thomas W. Fort (twiffoid) wrote :
Download full text (4.1 KiB)

Laptop doing fine, ignoring it's flash drive altogether. Not sure if
security on it was frozen (have read some about that...)

On my homebuild similar issue--wanting Lubuntu on both machines, laptop for
mobility, homebuild for media.

On homebuild, install crashed after shred of purchased single flash drive.
Went back and zeroed it, and then install finished fine.

I like zeroing---kind of like replaning brakes in a car-- slightly
destructive, but man, does it get you up and running!

On Tue, Jan 17, 2017, 3:31 AM Daniel Billing <email address hidden>
wrote:

> I am the original poster. I can't really help a lot. boot repair was not
> the best fix but it got the system running. basically, the system never
> worked properly and I eventually had to give up and I have been using an
> older ubuntu system.
>
> On Fri, Jan 13, 2017 at 11:54 PM, Brian Murray <email address hidden> wrote:
>
> > $ lp-bug-dupe-properties -b 1639374 --rtags
> > LP: #1639374 has 44 duplicates
> > xenial: 1644353
> > yakkety: 1632560 1639341 1639384 1639612 1640619 1641323 1642779
> 1643266
> > 1643354 1643366 1644969 1644980 1646471 1646600 1647051 1647108 1647314
> > 1647413 1647854 1647857 1647919 1648505 1648687 1648859 1649022 1649087
> > 1649676 1649769 1649975 1650743 1650773 1650876 1650885 1651008 1651209
> > 1651582 1651921 1652090 1652362 1653465 1653814 1654074 1654138
> >
> > It'd be helpful if somebody would test this with the development release
> > of Ubuntu, zesty, which will become 17.04.
> >
> > --
> > You received this bug notification because you are subscribed to a
> > duplicate bug report (1648859).
> > https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/1639374
> >
> > Title:
> > grub-pc fails to remove, causing lubuntu installs to crash
> >
> > Status in grub2 package in Ubuntu:
> > Triaged
> >
> > Bug description:
> > Crashed during install
> >
> > ProblemType: Bug
> > DistroRelease: Ubuntu 16.10
> > Package: ubiquity 16.10.14
> > ProcVersionSignature: Ubuntu 4.8.0-22.24-generic 4.8.0
> > Uname: Linux 4.8.0-22-generic x86_64
> > ApportVersion: 2.20.3-0ubuntu8
> > Architecture: amd64
> > CasperVersion: 1.379
> > Date: Fri Nov 4 18:31:30 2016
> > InstallCmdLine: BOOT_IMAGE=/casper/vmlinuz.efi
> > file=/cdrom/preseed/lubuntu.seed cdrom-detect/try-usb=true persistent
> > noprompt floppy.allowed_drive_mask=0 ignore_uuid boot=casper
> only-ubiquity
> > quiet splash ---
> > LiveMediaBuild: Lubuntu 16.10 "Yakkety Yak" - Release amd64
> (20161012.1)
> > ProcEnviron:
> > PATH=(custom, no user)
> > XDG_RUNTIME_DIR=<set>
> > LANG=en_US.UTF-8
> > LC_NUMERIC=C.UTF-8
> > SourcePackage: grub-installer
> > UpgradeStatus: No upgrade log present (probably fresh install)
> >
> > To manage notifications about this bug go to:
> > https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/grub2/+bug/
> > 1639374/+subscriptions
> >
>
> --
> You received this bug notification because you are subscribed to a
> duplicate bug report (1649975).
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/1639374
>
> Title:
> grub-pc fails to remove, causing lubuntu installs to crash
>
> Status in grub2 package in Ubuntu:
> Triaged
>
> Bug description:
> Crashed during install
>
...

Read more...

Matthieu, it does appear to be something special about the lubuntu packaging since it only affects lubuntu, but I have no idea what that something could be. I can't see anything that would cause grub-pc to fail to remove. I have not taken the time yet to try to actually reproduce it with a set -x in the rm script though.

I can't reproduce this on the daily image (tried 20170208, to be precise). This was due to grub-common being in the seed rather than grub2-common; which lead to grub-pc not being on the livefs.

I'll mark this incomplete; if someone can reproduce this on a recent image, please mention it and include /var/log/syslog and /var/log/apt/* from the installer environment so we can see exactly what happens.

Changed in grub2 (Ubuntu):
status: Triaged → Incomplete
importance: Critical → High
assignee: nobody → Mathieu Trudel-Lapierre (cyphermox)
milestone: none → ubuntu-17.03
Phillip Susi (psusi) on 2017-02-17
summary: - grub-pc fails to remove, causing lubuntu installs to crash
+ grub-pc fails to remove, rendering lubuntu uninstallable on EFI machines
apt-ghetto (apt-ghetto) wrote :

I have tested the Lubuntu 16.10 (not daily) installation on a VM in the BIOS Legacy mode. Without internet connection, the installation fails because of missing Grub2-packages in the ISO (known issue). With internet connection (the option "Downloading updates while installing" was disabled to install faster), the installation succeeds successfully.

I suggest to test different installations in UEFI mode:
a) without internet connection
b) with internet connection, "Downloading updates while installing" disabled
c) with internet connection, "Downloading updates while installing" enabled

apt-ghetto (apt-ghetto) wrote :

I have tested the installation of Lubuntu 16.10 in UEFI mode, without internet connection in a virtual machine. At the end of the installation, the installer crashes.

apt-ghetto (apt-ghetto) wrote :

I have tested the installation of Lubuntu 16.10 in UEFI mode, with internet connection in a virtual machine. The option "Downloading updates while installing" was disabled. The installation fails, but the installer does not crash.

apt-ghetto (apt-ghetto) wrote :

I have tested the installation of Lubuntu 16.10 in UEFI mode, with internet connection in a virtual machine. The option "Downloading updates while installing" was enabled. The installation fails, but the installer does not crash.

Two days ago, on another PC I could install Lubuntu 16.10 with this configuration, but today I tried it several times and it failed.

apt-ghetto (apt-ghetto) wrote :

Possible Workaround: "Try Lubuntu without installing", open a terminal and type: sudo apt install grub2-common

After you can install Lubuntu (clicking on the desktop icon, do not reboot!)

When I had the issue, the problem was the flash card security. Zeroing out
the flash card helped some, as I recall. Since then, I switched to Linux
Mint, for multimedia support.

On Wed, Mar 8, 2017, 12:56 PM apt-ghetto <email address hidden> wrote:

> Possible Workaround: "Try Lubuntu without installing", open a terminal
> and type: sudo apt install grub2-common
>
> After you can install Lubuntu (clicking on the desktop icon, do not
> reboot!)
>
> ** Attachment added: "syslog from workaround"
>
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/grub2/+bug/1639374/+attachment/4833946/+files/syslogWA.txt
>
> --
> You received this bug notification because you are subscribed to a
> duplicate bug report (1649975).
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/1639374
>
> Title:
> grub-pc fails to remove, rendering lubuntu uninstallable on EFI
> machines
>
> Status in grub2 package in Ubuntu:
> Incomplete
>
> Bug description:
> Crashed during install
>
> ProblemType: Bug
> DistroRelease: Ubuntu 16.10
> Package: ubiquity 16.10.14
> ProcVersionSignature: Ubuntu 4.8.0-22.24-generic 4.8.0
> Uname: Linux 4.8.0-22-generic x86_64
> ApportVersion: 2.20.3-0ubuntu8
> Architecture: amd64
> CasperVersion: 1.379
> Date: Fri Nov 4 18:31:30 2016
> InstallCmdLine: BOOT_IMAGE=/casper/vmlinuz.efi
> file=/cdrom/preseed/lubuntu.seed cdrom-detect/try-usb=true persistent
> noprompt floppy.allowed_drive_mask=0 ignore_uuid boot=casper only-ubiquity
> quiet splash ---
> LiveMediaBuild: Lubuntu 16.10 "Yakkety Yak" - Release amd64 (20161012.1)
> ProcEnviron:
> PATH=(custom, no user)
> XDG_RUNTIME_DIR=<set>
> LANG=en_US.UTF-8
> LC_NUMERIC=C.UTF-8
> SourcePackage: grub-installer
> UpgradeStatus: No upgrade log present (probably fresh install)
>
> To manage notifications about this bug go to:
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/grub2/+bug/1639374/+subscriptions
>

Dan Kelly (dan-j) wrote :
Download full text (3.5 KiB)

It turns out there was some setting in my BIOS that was keeping the install
from finishing.

I "Reset BIOS to Defaults" and tried again, and it worked. :-/

On Mon, Mar 20, 2017 at 10:51 AM Thomas W. Fort <email address hidden> wrote:

> When I had the issue, the problem was the flash card security. Zeroing out
> the flash card helped some, as I recall. Since then, I switched to Linux
> Mint, for multimedia support.
>
> On Wed, Mar 8, 2017, 12:56 PM apt-ghetto <email address hidden>
> wrote:
>
> > Possible Workaround: "Try Lubuntu without installing", open a terminal
> > and type: sudo apt install grub2-common
> >
> > After you can install Lubuntu (clicking on the desktop icon, do not
> > reboot!)
> >
> > ** Attachment added: "syslog from workaround"
> >
> >
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/grub2/+bug/1639374/+attachment/4833946/+files/syslogWA.txt
> >
> > --
> > You received this bug notification because you are subscribed to a
> > duplicate bug report (1649975).
> > https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/1639374
> >
> > Title:
> > grub-pc fails to remove, rendering lubuntu uninstallable on EFI
> > machines
> >
> > Status in grub2 package in Ubuntu:
> > Incomplete
> >
> > Bug description:
> > Crashed during install
> >
> > ProblemType: Bug
> > DistroRelease: Ubuntu 16.10
> > Package: ubiquity 16.10.14
> > ProcVersionSignature: Ubuntu 4.8.0-22.24-generic 4.8.0
> > Uname: Linux 4.8.0-22-generic x86_64
> > ApportVersion: 2.20.3-0ubuntu8
> > Architecture: amd64
> > CasperVersion: 1.379
> > Date: Fri Nov 4 18:31:30 2016
> > InstallCmdLine: BOOT_IMAGE=/casper/vmlinuz.efi
> > file=/cdrom/preseed/lubuntu.seed cdrom-detect/try-usb=true persistent
> > noprompt floppy.allowed_drive_mask=0 ignore_uuid boot=casper
> only-ubiquity
> > quiet splash ---
> > LiveMediaBuild: Lubuntu 16.10 "Yakkety Yak" - Release amd64
> (20161012.1)
> > ProcEnviron:
> > PATH=(custom, no user)
> > XDG_RUNTIME_DIR=<set>
> > LANG=en_US.UTF-8
> > LC_NUMERIC=C.UTF-8
> > SourcePackage: grub-installer
> > UpgradeStatus: No upgrade log present (probably fresh install)
> >
> > To manage notifications about this bug go to:
> >
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/grub2/+bug/1639374/+subscriptions
> >
>
> --
> You received this bug notification because you are subscribed to a
> duplicate bug report (1672783).
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/1639374
>
> Title:
> grub-pc fails to remove, rendering lubuntu uninstallable on EFI
> machines
>
> Status in grub2 package in Ubuntu:
> Incomplete
>
> Bug description:
> Crashed during install
>
> ProblemType: Bug
> DistroRelease: Ubuntu 16.10
> Package: ubiquity 16.10.14
> ProcVersionSignature: Ubuntu 4.8.0-22.24-generic 4.8.0
> Uname: Linux 4.8.0-22-generic x86_64
> ApportVersion: 2.20.3-0ubuntu8
> Architecture: amd64
> CasperVersion: 1.379
> Date: Fri Nov 4 18:31:30 2016
> InstallCmdLine: BOOT_IMAGE=/casper/vmlinuz.efi
> file=/cdrom/preseed/lubuntu.seed cdrom-detect/try-usb=true persistent
> noprompt floppy.allowed_drive_mask=0 ignore_uuid boot=casper only-ubiquity
> quiet splash ---
> LiveMediaBuild: Lubuntu 16.10 "Yakkety Yak" - Release amd64 (201...

Read more...

Shaun Prince (shauw) wrote :

I was able recover from this issue, by booting a livecd, chrooting in and running 'apt-get -f install && apt-get install grub2-common.

I checked the grub config and it looked good. I also did a "grub install" but that was probably not required.

At this point what I can see is that this was an issue on daily Lubuntu images and has been solved there.

What is left is the 16.10 release image for Lubuntu was pointing to grub-common, but that is insufficient to properly pick up grub-pc and grub-pc-bin on the image as is needed, especially given that lubuntu does not follow recommends.

Brian Murray (brian-murray) wrote :

I wrote a bugpattern for this so duplicates should automatically get consolidated going forward.

tags: added: bugpattern-written
Walter Lapchynski (wxl) wrote :

Will the bugpattern pick up on dupes regardless of version? I'm also
unclear on whether or not this is a problem in 16.10 or not. I haven't
seen similar complaints there, but cyphermox seems to suggest there
should be. If it is, we should set this back to confirmed.

--
        @wxl | polka.bike
C563 CAC5 8BE1 2F22 A49D
68F6 8B57 A48B C4F2 051A

paul (pvf) wrote :

New install of lubutun on mac book 4.1 Same issue will not finish install. has run xbuntu and ubutu all 16.04 no issues

paul (pvf) wrote :

Sorry and its a single boot no mac os near this laptop

Brian Murray (brian-murray) wrote :

It certainly seems to be a problem with the final 16.10 image for Lubuntu.

 $ lp-bug-dupe-properties -D LiveMediaBuild -b 1639374
LP: #1639374 has 135 duplicates
  None: 1644353 1650773
  Lubuntu 16.10 "Yakkety Yak" - Alpha amd64 (20161008): 1632560
  Lubuntu 16.10 "Yakkety Yak" - Release amd64 (20161012.1): 1638785 1639341 1639384 1639612 1640619 1641323 1642779 1643266 1643354 1643366 1644969 1644980 1645972 1646471 1646600 1647051 1647108 1647314 1647413 1647854 1647857 1647919 1648505 1648687 1648859 1649022 1649087 1649676 1649769 1649975 1650743 1650876 1650885 1650993 1651008 1651209 1651582 1651921 1652090 1652362 1653385 1653465 1653557 1653814 1654074 1654138 1654694 1654793 1654810 1655121 1655465 1655679 1655807 1655924 1656000 1656103 1656314 1656336 1656486 1656511 1656523 1656988 1657522 1657896 1658032 1658496 1658872 1659211 1659513 1660022 1660190 1660199 1660465 1660520 1661034 1661042 1661142 1661990 1662437 1664043 1664316 1665356 1665932 1666127 1666130 1666136 1667094 1667916 1668011 1668688 1668702 1668740 1668841 1668900 1669668 1669972 1670289 1670505 1670984 1671097 1671638 1671762 1671820 1671985 1672096 1672704 1672783 1672861 1673488 1673895 1674004 1674248 1675212 1675262 1675406 1675412 1675952 1676198 1676212 1676481 1676843 1676887 1678290 1680203 1680236 1680463 1681010 1681112 1681148 1681270 1681275 1681963

Brian Murray (brian-murray) wrote :

The Lubuntu download page for 16.10, http://cdimage.ubuntu.com/lubuntu/releases/16.10/release/, has been updated with a warning regarding this bug.

There is no fix for this to do in grub2; and we don't spin new images for non-LTS releases.

Changed in grub2 (Ubuntu):
milestone: ubuntu-17.03 → none
status: Incomplete → Invalid
assignee: Mathieu Trudel-Lapierre (cyphermox) → nobody
Changed in lubuntu-meta (Ubuntu):
status: New → Won't Fix
importance: Undecided → High
Gus (gus-antoniassi) wrote :

I was affected by this bug (report #1684222) and I was able to install Lubuntu 16.04 using the 32bit image. Maybe this could be added in the warning?

didier (d-lebon) wrote :

One should check if BIOS is configured with legacy or UEFI mode.

- 64 bits package imposes UEFI installation even if the BIOS is in Legacy mode so incoherence in the end (next reboot).
- 32 bit package can be performed in Legacy mode (maybe why 168422 can be performed ?).

More explicit warning messages should be displayed in the installation process. Test of BIOS config not possible ?

Phillip Susi (psusi) wrote :

On 4/27/2017 8:54 PM, didier wrote:
> - 64 bits package imposes UEFI installation even if the BIOS is in Legacy mode so incoherence in the end (next reboot).

This is incorrect; the choice of UEFI or BIOS is entirely up to your
bios/firmware/motherboard -- the 64 bit installation image supports both.

alexe (alexeb) wrote :

Thank you all for the support. I have installed UBUNTU insted of LUBUNTU
and had not problems.
The PC was an HP with little hardware space 30GB and I thought LUBUNTU will
be a bit lighter.

Thanks again,
Alexe

On Wed, May 3, 2017 at 3:42 AM, Phillip Susi <email address hidden> wrote:

> On 4/27/2017 8:54 PM, didier wrote:
> > - 64 bits package imposes UEFI installation even if the BIOS is in
> Legacy mode so incoherence in the end (next reboot).
>
> This is incorrect; the choice of UEFI or BIOS is entirely up to your
> bios/firmware/motherboard -- the 64 bit installation image supports both.
>
> --
> You received this bug notification because you are subscribed to a
> duplicate bug report (1680463).
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/1639374
>
> Title:
> grub-pc fails to remove, rendering lubuntu uninstallable on EFI
> machines
>
> Status in grub2 package in Ubuntu:
> Invalid
> Status in lubuntu-meta package in Ubuntu:
> Won't Fix
>
> Bug description:
> Crashed during install
>
> ProblemType: Bug
> DistroRelease: Ubuntu 16.10
> Package: ubiquity 16.10.14
> ProcVersionSignature: Ubuntu 4.8.0-22.24-generic 4.8.0
> Uname: Linux 4.8.0-22-generic x86_64
> ApportVersion: 2.20.3-0ubuntu8
> Architecture: amd64
> CasperVersion: 1.379
> Date: Fri Nov 4 18:31:30 2016
> InstallCmdLine: BOOT_IMAGE=/casper/vmlinuz.efi
> file=/cdrom/preseed/lubuntu.seed cdrom-detect/try-usb=true persistent
> noprompt floppy.allowed_drive_mask=0 ignore_uuid boot=casper only-ubiquity
> quiet splash ---
> LiveMediaBuild: Lubuntu 16.10 "Yakkety Yak" - Release amd64 (20161012.1)
> ProcEnviron:
> PATH=(custom, no user)
> XDG_RUNTIME_DIR=<set>
> LANG=en_US.UTF-8
> LC_NUMERIC=C.UTF-8
> SourcePackage: grub-installer
> UpgradeStatus: No upgrade log present (probably fresh install)
>
> To manage notifications about this bug go to:
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/grub2/+bug/
> 1639374/+subscriptions
>

--
Best Regards,
Alexe

------------------------------------------------------------------------
Dr. Alexe Bojovschi
CEO at AIB
Innovation and IT Director at iiRNet
Real time analytics and RADAR Sensor Networks, Research Staff at RMIT
University
T: 0412245322
LinkedIn
<http://www.linkedin.com/in/alexe-bojovschi-86951345?trk=hp-identity-photo>

www.epts17.org

To post a comment you must log in.
This report contains Public information  Edit
Everyone can see this information.

Duplicates of this bug

Other bug subscribers