Connection failed to the dictionary server

Bug #367024 reported by manishmahabir on 2009-04-25
36
This bug affects 6 people
Affects Status Importance Assigned to Milestone
gnome-utils (Ubuntu)
Low
Ubuntu Desktop Bugs

Bug Description

Binary package hint: gnome-utils

i get the following error in gnome dictionary after installing dictd, dict-wn, dict-gcide and adding localhost as the dictionary server

Error while looking up definition

Connection failed to the dictionary server at localhost:2628

While on installing 'fantasdic', it can connect to the server and can show searches from all the dictionaries installed.

ProblemType: Bug
Architecture: i386
DistroRelease: Ubuntu 9.04
ExecutablePath: /usr/bin/gnome-dictionary
Package: gnome-utils 2.26.0-0ubuntu1
ProcEnviron:
 LANG=en_IN
 SHELL=/bin/bash
SourcePackage: gnome-utils
Uname: Linux 2.6.28-11-generic i686

manishmahabir (manishmahabir) wrote :
Sebastien Bacher (seb128) wrote :

the issue is rather a configuration one than a bug

Changed in gnome-utils (Ubuntu):
status: New → Invalid
status: Invalid → New
status: New → Invalid
Jonathon James (isamaranga) wrote :

My gnome-dictionary also no longer connects to dictd at localhost after upgrading to Jaunty, while fantastdic connects to it with no problems. If as you say this is a configuration problem and not a bug, could you please tell us what is configured incorrectly? I am using the same configuration as I was before upgrading to Jaunty. From my point of view, it is the upgrade which broke the connection between gnome-dictionary and the dictd server.
Thanks for your help.

Sebastien Bacher (seb128) wrote :

what is fantasdic and are you sure you are using the right configuration?

Jonathon James (isamaranga) wrote :

Fantasdic is another dictionary client package in the ubuntu repositories. My configuration as far as I can tell is correct; it is the same configuration which was working before I upgraded to jaunty. The dictd daemon is running fine. Other dictionary clients such as fantasdic and dict can access the dictd server at localhost on port 2628. But for some reason when I create a new dictionary source in gnome-dictionary with 'localhost' as hostname and '2628' as port, it gives me the following error when I search for a definition: "Error while looking up definition. Connection failed to the dictionary server at localhost:2628." If there is anything further you need to diagnose the problem please let me know.

Sebastien Bacher (seb128) wrote :

the issue would be an upstream one, ubuntu is only distributing the software, to send to bugzilla.gnome.org by somebody having a dict local server

Changed in gnome-utils (Ubuntu):
assignee: nobody → Ubuntu Desktop Bugs (desktop-bugs)
importance: Undecided → Low
status: Invalid → Incomplete
summary: - [jaunty] Connection failed to the dictionary server
+ Connection failed to the dictionary server
Sebastien Bacher (seb128) wrote :

don't specify the version in the title there is no reason than karmic should not have the same issue and having jaunty in the title suggests it's jaunty specific

Jonathon James (isamaranga) wrote :

Sebastien, how do I forward this bug report "upstream," or has it already been done?
Thanks, J

Sebastien Bacher (seb128) wrote :

you go on http://bugzilla.gnome.org and select the option to open a bug

Sebastien Bacher (seb128) wrote :

did you open a GNOME bug?

No sorry, I forgot.

Sebastien Bacher wrote:
> did you open a GNOME bug?
>
>

Sebastien Bacher (seb128) wrote :

could you do it know?

Milan Kupcevic (milan) wrote :

Connect to 127.0.0.1:2628 instead of connecting to localhost:2628, gnome-dictionary is not able to resolve 'localhost' for unknown reasons.

Jonathon James (isamaranga) wrote :

Thank you works perfectly!

Milan Kupcevic wrote:
> Connect to 127.0.0.1:2628 instead of connecting to localhost:2628,
> gnome-dictionary is not able to resolve 'localhost' for unknown reasons.
>
>

Sebastien Bacher (seb128) wrote :

We are closing this bug report as it lacks the information, described in the previous comments, we need to investigate the problem further. However, please reopen it if you can give us the missing information and don't hesitate to submit bug reports in the future.

Changed in gnome-utils (Ubuntu):
status: Incomplete → Invalid
Jonathon James (isamaranga) wrote :

I don't understand what information is missing. For some reason in the
upgrade the Jaunty and the new version of GNOME, the dictionary client stops
accepting "localhost" written out and will only recognize the numerical IP.

On Wed, Sep 16, 2009 at 12:39 PM, Sebastien Bacher <email address hidden>wrote:

> We are closing this bug report as it lacks the information, described in
> the previous comments, we need to investigate the problem further.
> However, please reopen it if you can give us the missing information and
> don't hesitate to submit bug reports in the future.
>
> ** Changed in: gnome-utils (Ubuntu)
> Status: Incomplete => Invalid
>
> --
> Connection failed to the dictionary server
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/367024
> You received this bug notification because you are a direct subscriber
> of the bug.
>

Adam Porter (alphapapa) wrote :

I think this bug is valid. Using dict now in Precise, if I run $(dict -v bat), I get

$ dict -v bat
Configuration file:
   server localhost
   server dict.org
   server dict0.us.dict.org
   server alt0.dict.org
No definitions found for "bat"

But if I run this, it works:

$ dict -h dict.org bat
12 definitions found
...

When dict fails to get a response from localhost, it stops, but according to the man page it is supposed to continue through the list of servers until it finds one that works. I have to comment out "localhost" in /etc/dictd/dict.conf, and then it works without specifying -h.

Changed in gnome-utils (Ubuntu):
status: Invalid → Confirmed
To post a comment you must log in.
This report contains Public information  Edit
Everyone can see this information.

Other bug subscribers