System Monitor hangs when network offline

Bug #1491666 reported by ALinuxUser on 2015-09-03
8
This bug affects 1 person
Affects Status Importance Assigned to Milestone
Linux Mint
New
Undecided
Unassigned
gnome-system-monitor (Ubuntu)
High
Unassigned

Bug Description

The System Monitor hangs, or appears to hang, when a FSTAB-mounted network filesystem is offline. For, in that scenario, nothing - no message, nothing - happens for over 60 seconds - and then, after the filesystem tab *is* displayed, the Monitor generates a hang prompt when I try to close the window. C'mon, guys.

Also: surely the System Monitor uses too much CPU for something that measures the CPU.

Linux Mint 17.2 x64, Cinnamon, on a dualcore 2.2Gh processor, on a good SSD. Laptop.

I add that the problems seem to be symptoms of a wider bug, reported, with an attempt at an (elaborate) work around, here (in 2012): http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=56&t=96910

Timo Palomaa (timppis) wrote :

This only reproduces on Mint? The system monitor = gnome-system-monitor >> https://bugzilla.gnome.org/

> Also: surely the System Monitor uses too much CPU for something that measures the CPU.

It does. Try ksysguard is a replacement.

Thanks for all that. About Ubuntu: there is a limit to how many bug
trackers I will create accounts for. I am user, not a developer. And even
if this networking problem (in its wider version, whereby one needs special
software and fiddly config to make auto mounted shares work properly) owes
to Ubuntu, I think Mint needs to fix it. Relatedly: if there is a better
system monitor, why not include it, as the default, in Mint?
On 3 Sep 2015 22:15, "Timo Palomaa" <email address hidden> wrote:

> This only reproduces on Mint? The system monitor = gnome-system-monitor
> >> https://bugzilla.gnome.org/
>
> > Also: surely the System Monitor uses too much CPU for something that
> measures the CPU.
>
> It does. Try ksysguard is a replacement.
>
> ** Also affects: gnome-system-monitor (Ubuntu)
> Importance: Undecided
> Status: New
>
> --
> You received this bug notification because you are subscribed to the bug
> report.
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/1491666
>
> Title:
> System Monitor hangs when network offline
>
> Status in Linux Mint:
> New
> Status in gnome-system-monitor package in Ubuntu:
> New
>
> Bug description:
> The System Monitor hangs, or appears to hang, when a FSTAB-mounted
> network filesystem is offline. For, in that scenario, nothing - no
> message, nothing - happens for over 60 seconds - and then, after the
> filesystem tab *is* displayed, the Monitor generates a hang prompt
> when I try to close the window. C'mon, guys.
>
> Also: surely the System Monitor uses too much CPU for something that
> measures the CPU.
>
> Linux Mint 17.2 x64, Cinnamon, on a dualcore 2.2Gh processor, on a
> good SSD. Laptop.
>
> To manage notifications about this bug go to:
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/linuxmint/+bug/1491666/+subscriptions
>

Timo Palomaa (timppis) wrote :

> Thanks for all that. About Ubuntu: there is a limit to how many bug trackers I will create accounts for. I am user, not a developer.

I get it, but this bug here is not going to get any attention.

> And even if this networking problem (in its wider version, whereby one needs special software and fiddly config to make auto mounted shares work properly) owes to Ubuntu, I think Mint needs to fix it.

Would be great if Mint fixed every possible bug everywhere, but I'd rather see them concentrate on their own projects.

> Relatedly: if there is a better system monitor, why not include it, as the default, in Mint?

It just has become a standard to use many of the default Gnome applications/tools. I use ksysguard but it wouldn't be a good default program because it is KDE application and thus has lots of dependencies.

Thanks Timo. Let me, though, and briefly, restate my reasoning about the
network problem: this problem makes it hard - impossible for some people
- to do something many of them will have a strong need to do; therefore,
whatever its origin, Mint should try to fix or work-around it. Compare:
if I run a hotel and the government should provide my electricity, and
yet fails so to do, then, while I wait for the government to fulfil its
obligations, I had better install a generator. For otherwise my guests
will leave.

NJ

On 04/09/2015 01:24, Timo Palomaa wrote:
>> Thanks for all that. About Ubuntu: there is a limit to how many bug
> trackers I will create accounts for. I am user, not a developer.
>
> I get it, but this bug here is not going to get any attention.
>
>> And even if this networking problem (in its wider version, whereby one
> needs special software and fiddly config to make auto mounted shares
> work properly) owes to Ubuntu, I think Mint needs to fix it.
>
> Would be great if Mint fixed every possible bug everywhere, but I'd
> rather see them concentrate on their own projects.
>
>> Relatedly: if there is a better system monitor, why not include it, as
> the default, in Mint?
>
> It just has become a standard to use many of the default Gnome
> applications/tools. I use ksysguard but it wouldn't be a good default
> program because it is KDE application and thus has lots of dependencies.
>

--
Dr Nicholas Joll

Nicholas Joll

Book: /Philosophy and *The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy*/
<http://najoll.wordpress.com/hitchhiker/>

Sebastien Bacher (seb128) wrote :

Thank you for taking the time to report this bug and helping to make Ubuntu better. The issue you are reporting is an upstream one and it would be nice if somebody having it could send the bug to the developers of the software by following the instructions at https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Bugs/Upstream/GNOME. If you have done so, please tell us the number of the upstream bug (or the link), so we can add a bugwatch that will inform us about its status. Thanks in advance.

Changed in gnome-system-monitor (Ubuntu):
importance: Undecided → High
Sebastien Bacher (seb128) wrote :

same as bug #1450247?

@Sebastian Bacher: yes (and a serious usability problem, if I may say so).

To post a comment you must log in.
This report contains Public information  Edit
Everyone can see this information.

Other bug subscribers