Can´ t drag from browser to the desktop.

Bug #858913 reported by Joaquin on 2011-09-25
30
This bug affects 6 people
Affects Status Importance Assigned to Milestone
gnome-shell-extension-desktop-icons
New
Unknown
gnome-shell-extension-desktop-icons (Ubuntu)
Low
Unassigned

Bug Description

On Natty, I can drag (for example) images from the browser to the desktop to save them.
On Oneiric, this isn´ t working, I can drag, drop on the Unity launcher, but not on the desktop.

For reproduce it:
-Open Google Chrome
-Search an image
-Try to drag and drop the image to the desktop, it doesn´ t work.

ProblemType: Bug
DistroRelease: Ubuntu 11.10
Package: nautilus 1:3.1.92-0ubuntu3
ProcVersionSignature: Ubuntu 3.0.0-11.18-generic 3.0.4
Uname: Linux 3.0.0-11-generic i686
NonfreeKernelModules: nvidia
ApportVersion: 1.23-0ubuntu1
Architecture: i386
Date: Sun Sep 25 15:52:22 2011
InstallationMedia: Ubuntu 11.04 "Natty Narwhal" - Release i386 (20110427.1)
ProcEnviron:
 PATH=(custom, user)
 LANG=es_ES.UTF-8
 SHELL=/bin/bash
SourcePackage: nautilus
UpgradeStatus: Upgraded to oneiric on 2011-08-06 (49 days ago)

Joaquin (jknvv13) wrote :
Paul Stewart (paulbrianstewart) wrote :

This may be a Chrome specific problem. I tried it with FireFox and it worked.

... I'll try tomorrow with Firefox Opera, Epiphany and others...
El 26/09/2011 00:40, "Paul Stewart" <email address hidden> escribió:
> This may be a Chrome specific problem. I tried it with FireFox and it
> worked.
>
> --
> You received this bug notification because you are subscribed to the bug
> report.
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/858913
>
> Title:
> Can´ t drag from browser to the desktop.
>
> Status in “nautilus” package in Ubuntu:
> New
>
> Bug description:
> On Natty, I can drag (for example) images from the browser to the desktop
to save them.
> On Oneiric, this isn´ t working, I can drag, drop on the Unity launcher,
but not on the desktop.
>
> For reproduce it:
> -Open Google Chrome
> -Search an image
> -Try to drag and drop the image to the desktop, it doesn´ t work.
>
> ProblemType: Bug
> DistroRelease: Ubuntu 11.10
> Package: nautilus 1:3.1.92-0ubuntu3
> ProcVersionSignature: Ubuntu 3.0.0-11.18-generic 3.0.4
> Uname: Linux 3.0.0-11-generic i686
> NonfreeKernelModules: nvidia
> ApportVersion: 1.23-0ubuntu1
> Architecture: i386
> Date: Sun Sep 25 15:52:22 2011
> InstallationMedia: Ubuntu 11.04 "Natty Narwhal" - Release i386
(20110427.1)
> ProcEnviron:
> PATH=(custom, user)
> LANG=es_ES.UTF-8
> SHELL=/bin/bash
> SourcePackage: nautilus
> UpgradeStatus: Upgraded to oneiric on 2011-08-06 (49 days ago)
>
> To manage notifications about this bug go to:
>
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/nautilus/+bug/858913/+subscriptions

Joaquin (jknvv13) wrote :

On natty I always drag&drop from chrome to desktop and always was working
out of the box.
El 26/09/2011 00:40, "Paul Stewart" <email address hidden> escribió:
> This may be a Chrome specific problem. I tried it with FireFox and it
> worked.
>
> --
> You received this bug notification because you are subscribed to the bug
> report.
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/858913
>
> Title:
> Can´ t drag from browser to the desktop.
>
> Status in “nautilus” package in Ubuntu:
> New
>
> Bug description:
> On Natty, I can drag (for example) images from the browser to the desktop
to save them.
> On Oneiric, this isn´ t working, I can drag, drop on the Unity launcher,
but not on the desktop.
>
> For reproduce it:
> -Open Google Chrome
> -Search an image
> -Try to drag and drop the image to the desktop, it doesn´ t work.
>
> ProblemType: Bug
> DistroRelease: Ubuntu 11.10
> Package: nautilus 1:3.1.92-0ubuntu3
> ProcVersionSignature: Ubuntu 3.0.0-11.18-generic 3.0.4
> Uname: Linux 3.0.0-11-generic i686
> NonfreeKernelModules: nvidia
> ApportVersion: 1.23-0ubuntu1
> Architecture: i386
> Date: Sun Sep 25 15:52:22 2011
> InstallationMedia: Ubuntu 11.04 "Natty Narwhal" - Release i386
(20110427.1)
> ProcEnviron:
> PATH=(custom, user)
> LANG=es_ES.UTF-8
> SHELL=/bin/bash
> SourcePackage: nautilus
> UpgradeStatus: Upgraded to oneiric on 2011-08-06 (49 days ago)
>
> To manage notifications about this bug go to:
>
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/nautilus/+bug/858913/+subscriptions

Sebastien Bacher (seb128) wrote :

on Oneiric doing a dnd from a google page for example create a link to the image url

Changed in nautilus (Ubuntu):
importance: Undecided → Low
Jason Fletcher (botanist) wrote :

I can confirm this for firefox 7.0.1 on Oneiric 64bit.

Launchpad Janitor (janitor) wrote :

Status changed to 'Confirmed' because the bug affects multiple users.

Changed in nautilus (Ubuntu):
status: New → Confirmed
Sebastien Bacher (seb128) wrote :

Could you give an example of webpage and image you try to dnd?

Joaquin (jknvv13) wrote :

Just search for an image on google images, open it as full image (not
embbeded) and try to dnd.
El 10/11/2011 19:12, "Sebastien Bacher" <email address hidden> escribió:

> Could you give an example of webpage and image you try to dnd?
>
> --
> You received this bug notification because you are subscribed to the bug
> report.
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/858913
>
> Title:
> Can´ t drag from browser to the desktop.
>
> Status in “nautilus” package in Ubuntu:
> Confirmed
>
> Bug description:
> On Natty, I can drag (for example) images from the browser to the desktop
> to save them.
> On Oneiric, this isn´ t working, I can drag, drop on the Unity launcher,
> but not on the desktop.
>
> For reproduce it:
> -Open Google Chrome
> -Search an image
> -Try to drag and drop the image to the desktop, it doesn´ t work.
>
> ProblemType: Bug
> DistroRelease: Ubuntu 11.10
> Package: nautilus 1:3.1.92-0ubuntu3
> ProcVersionSignature: Ubuntu 3.0.0-11.18-generic 3.0.4
> Uname: Linux 3.0.0-11-generic i686
> NonfreeKernelModules: nvidia
> ApportVersion: 1.23-0ubuntu1
> Architecture: i386
> Date: Sun Sep 25 15:52:22 2011
> InstallationMedia: Ubuntu 11.04 "Natty Narwhal" - Release i386
> (20110427.1)
> ProcEnviron:
> PATH=(custom, user)
> LANG=es_ES.UTF-8
> SHELL=/bin/bash
> SourcePackage: nautilus
> UpgradeStatus: Upgraded to oneiric on 2011-08-06 (49 days ago)
>
> To manage notifications about this bug go to:
>
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/nautilus/+bug/858913/+subscriptions
>

Victor Choueiri (victor-oc) wrote :

dnd an image from chromium to nautilus will create a link to the image, however if you hold CTRL while dnd'ing it will save the actual image and not just the link. [discovered through some trial and error]. Perhaps having this behavior reversed would be better? And would be more in line with the behavior on other OSes?

Joaquin (jknvv13) wrote :

Yep, people wants to get the image, not a link from that image.

2011/12/2 Victor <email address hidden>

> dnd an image from chromium to nautilus will create a link to the image,
> however if you hold CTRL while dnd'ing it will save the actual image and
> not just the link. [discovered through some trial and error]. Perhaps
> having this behavior reversed would be better? And would be more in line
> with the behavior on other OSes?
>
> --
> You received this bug notification because you are subscribed to the bug
> report.
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/858913
>
> Title:
> Can´ t drag from browser to the desktop.
>
> Status in “nautilus” package in Ubuntu:
> Confirmed
>
> Bug description:
> On Natty, I can drag (for example) images from the browser to the desktop
> to save them.
> On Oneiric, this isn´ t working, I can drag, drop on the Unity launcher,
> but not on the desktop.
>
> For reproduce it:
> -Open Google Chrome
> -Search an image
> -Try to drag and drop the image to the desktop, it doesn´ t work.
>
> ProblemType: Bug
> DistroRelease: Ubuntu 11.10
> Package: nautilus 1:3.1.92-0ubuntu3
> ProcVersionSignature: Ubuntu 3.0.0-11.18-generic 3.0.4
> Uname: Linux 3.0.0-11-generic i686
> NonfreeKernelModules: nvidia
> ApportVersion: 1.23-0ubuntu1
> Architecture: i386
> Date: Sun Sep 25 15:52:22 2011
> InstallationMedia: Ubuntu 11.04 "Natty Narwhal" - Release i386
> (20110427.1)
> ProcEnviron:
> PATH=(custom, user)
> LANG=es_ES.UTF-8
> SHELL=/bin/bash
> SourcePackage: nautilus
> UpgradeStatus: Upgraded to oneiric on 2011-08-06 (49 days ago)
>
> To manage notifications about this bug go to:
>
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/nautilus/+bug/858913/+subscriptions
>

Samuel Dellicour (smd) wrote :

I would also have the default behavior being "downloading the image" (like it used to be), instead of having to press Control.
But I was wondering if this was a Firefox feature/bug or a Nautilus one...

Sebastien Bacher (seb128) wrote :

That's still an issue is disco (the new gnome-shell-extension-desktop-icons doesn't seem to deal with those dnd at all), it works to dnd to a normal nautilus folder though

affects: nautilus (Ubuntu) → gnome-shell-extension-desktop-icons (Ubuntu)
Tom Reynolds (tomreyn) wrote :

Possible duplicates: #1813441 #1822254

Changed in gnome-shell-extension-desktop-icons:
status: Unknown → New
To post a comment you must log in.
This report contains Public information  Edit
Everyone can see this information.

Other bug subscribers

Remote bug watches

Bug watches keep track of this bug in other bug trackers.