Not possible to hide the notification area icon when using multiple keyboard layouts.

Bug #549293 reported by Matthew Pirocchi on 2010-03-27
10
This bug affects 2 people
Affects Status Importance Assigned to Milestone
gnome-settings-daemon (Ubuntu)
Wishlist
Unassigned

Bug Description

Binary package hint: gnome-control-center

I use both the "USA" and "Greek - Polytonic" keyboard layouts, and switch between the two with a keyboard shortcut. As soon as I add the "Greek - Polytonic" layout to my list of layouts, an icon appears in the notifcation area indicating what layout I am using. This is very annoying--98% of the time, I am in the USA layout, and don't need an icon cluttering up my panel. During the other 2% of the time, I know what layout I am in (or it is immediately obvious as soon as I start to type). However, there doesn't seem to be any option to disable this icon.

It should be possible to always hide the notification area icon.

ProblemType: Bug
Architecture: i386
Date: Fri Mar 26 22:24:15 2010
DistroRelease: Ubuntu 10.04
ExecutablePath: /usr/bin/gnome-keyboard-properties
InstallationMedia: Ubuntu 10.04 "Lucid Lynx" - Beta i386 (20100318)
Package: gnome-control-center 1:2.29.92-0ubuntu3
ProcEnviron:
 LANG=en_US.utf8
 SHELL=/bin/bash
ProcVersionSignature: Ubuntu 2.6.32-17.26-generic 2.6.32.10+drm33.1
SourcePackage: gnome-control-center
Uname: Linux 2.6.32-17-generic i686

Sebastien Bacher (seb128) wrote :

Thanks for the bug report. This particular bug has already been reported, but feel free to report any other bugs you find.

affects: gnome-control-center (Ubuntu) → gnome-settings-daemon (Ubuntu)
Changed in gnome-settings-daemon (Ubuntu):
importance: Undecided → Wishlist
status: New → Invalid

Thanks Sebastien,

Did you forget to mark this as a duplicate of the bug that has already been reported?

Sebastien Bacher (seb128) wrote :

not really, I figured I could spend my day looking for duplicate number seeing the 680+ bug emails I had waiting in my bugsbox today or that I could let each submitter look for his,her bug costing them 1 minutes rather than costing me an hundred time that one minute and use that time to fix some issues, I just opted for the second option, let me know if you really can't find the bug which is already filed against gnome-settings-daemon though and I will go find it for you

Martin Stjernholm (msub) wrote :

I think the original would be #519372.

To post a comment you must log in.
This report contains Public information  Edit
Everyone can see this information.

Other bug subscribers