Acer 532h Battery Problem

Bug #592908 reported by Eric Bellavance on 2010-06-12
70
This bug affects 11 people
Affects Status Importance Assigned to Milestone
gnome-power
Incomplete
Undecided
Unassigned
gnome-power-manager (Ubuntu)
Undecided
Unassigned

Bug Description

Binary package hint: gnome-power-manager

gnome-power-manager suddenly report battery is empty than hibernate. I restart the computer an gnome-power-manager report good battery level and I can continue to work.

Description: Ubuntu 10.04 LTS
Release: 10.04

gnome-power-manager 2.30.0-0ubuntu1

ProblemType: Bug
DistroRelease: Ubuntu 10.04
Package: gnome-power-manager 2.30.0-0ubuntu1
ProcVersionSignature: Ubuntu 2.6.32-22.36-generic 2.6.32.11+drm33.2
Uname: Linux 2.6.32-22-generic i686
Architecture: i386
Date: Fri Jun 11 21:50:41 2010
ExecutablePath: /usr/bin/gnome-power-manager
GnomeSessionIdleInhibited: Unknown
GnomeSessionInhibitors: Failed to acquire
GnomeSessionSuspendInhibited: Unknown
InstallationMedia: Ubuntu-Netbook 10.04 "Lucid Lynx" - Release i386 (20100429.4)
MachineType: Acer AO532h
ProcCmdLine: BOOT_IMAGE=/boot/vmlinuz-2.6.32-22-generic root=UUID=f1964b95-b787-4080-ba24-4233d20b818e ro quiet splash
ProcEnviron:
 LANG=fr_CA.UTF-8
 SHELL=/bin/bash
SourcePackage: gnome-power-manager
dmi.bios.date: 03/11/2010
dmi.bios.vendor: Acer
dmi.bios.version: V1.20
dmi.board.asset.tag: Base Board Asset Tag
dmi.board.name: AO532h
dmi.board.vendor: Acer
dmi.board.version: V1.20
dmi.chassis.type: 10
dmi.chassis.vendor: Acer
dmi.chassis.version: V1.20
dmi.modalias: dmi:bvnAcer:bvrV1.20:bd03/11/2010:svnAcer:pnAO532h:pvrV1.20:rvnAcer:rnAO532h:rvrV1.20:cvnAcer:ct10:cvrV1.20:
dmi.product.name: AO532h
dmi.product.version: V1.20
dmi.sys.vendor: Acer

durganandan jana (dnaj2000) wrote :

yes this affects me also

same here

This constantly happens to me as well.

Is the problem solved by a patch?

I not experienced the problem since monday july 5...

I believe it's solved for me as well . . hasn't recurred.

On Thu, Jul 8, 2010 at 9:14 AM, Eric Bellavance
<email address hidden>wrote:

> Is the problem solved by a patch?
>
> I not experienced the problem since monday july 5...
>
> --
> Acer 532h Battery Problem
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/592908
> You received this bug notification because you are a direct subscriber
> of the bug.
>

--
Zachary Alex Stern
Photographer
917.727.3456

Problem is back on my side :(

James King (jlking3) wrote :

Not only is this problem causing sudden shutdowns or suspensions of the netbook (sometimes with embarrassing results like in a classroom situation where I have spent time talking about the benefits of open source software), but it causes the power-management records to be wildly inaccurate, even when using "smooth lines." There seems to be several issues with the Aspire One and 10.04 with regards to power management. I hope these issues get moved higher up the triage list.

Zee Alexander (pizzaops) wrote :

I really haven't had the issue again, since the last few rounds of updates.

----------
Sent from the Verizon network using Mobile Email

------Original Message------
From: James King <email address hidden>
To: <email address hidden>
Date: Sun, Jul 11, 7:51 PM +0000
Subject: [Bug 592908] Re: Acer 532h Battery Problem

Not only is this problem causing sudden shutdowns or suspensions of the
netbook (sometimes with embarrassing results like in a classroom
situation where I have spent time talking about the benefits of open
source software), but it causes the power-management records to be
wildly inaccurate, even when using "smooth lines." There seems to be
several issues with the Aspire One and 10.04 with regards to power
management. I hope these issues get moved higher up the triage list.

--
Acer 532h Battery Problem
https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/592908
You received this bug notification because you are a direct subscriber
of the bug.

I still get this problem even after the updates

w7kmc (w7kmc) wrote :

I am seeing this same behavior on my ACER 532H, with Ubuntu 10.04 and the latest 10.04.1 updates. Thanks.

Mark (thorongil3) wrote :

I have this same problem, on my 532h. I like Ubuntu but it is useless on this machine.

Zee Alexander (pizzaops) wrote :

Guys, make sure you have the latest BIOS in addition to the latest Ubuntu
updates.

I haven't had the issue in at least a month, and I'm on my Acer practically
24/7.

On Wed, Aug 4, 2010 at 5:50 PM, Mark <email address hidden> wrote:

> I have this same problem, on my 532h. I like Ubuntu but it is useless on
> this machine.
>
> --
> Acer 532h Battery Problem
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/592908
> You received this bug notification because you are a direct subscriber
> of the bug.
>

--
Zachary Alex Stern
Photographer
917.727.3456

Zachary,

What is your version of BIOS? I use 1.20 here...

Regards,

Eric

Zee Alexander (pizzaops) wrote :

There have been 4 public revisions of the Bios since then. Upgrade to 1.25
and see what happens.

On Aug 6, 2010 12:06 PM, "Eric Bellavance" <email address hidden>
wrote:

Zachary,

What is your version of BIOS? I use 1.20 here...

Regards,

Eric

--

Acer 532h Battery Problem
https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/592908
You received this bug notification ...

Mark (thorongil3) wrote :

I just flashed my bios to 1.25 and it works fine now.

On Fri, Aug 6, 2010 at 8:55 AM, Eric Bellavance
<email address hidden>wrote:

> Zachary,
>
> What is your version of BIOS? I use 1.20 here...
>
> Regards,
>
> Eric
>
> --
> Acer 532h Battery Problem
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/592908
> You received this bug notification because you are a direct subscriber
> of the bug.
>

kmarcus (keith-marcus) wrote :

Seems to be working fine for me since I updated to bios 1.25. Thanks Zachary.

w7kmc (w7kmc) wrote :

I upgraded the BIOS from V1.21 to V1.25, and it is working fine now for me too! Thanks!

Zee Alexander (pizzaops) wrote :

Guys, whenever you're having power management or ACPI issues, always update
your bios before reporting a bug.

Unfortunately, Linux seems to be much more sensitive to these things than
Windows . . .

On Fri, Aug 6, 2010 at 4:41 PM, w7kmc <email address hidden> wrote:

> I upgraded the BIOS from V1.21 to V1.25, and it is working fine now for
> me too! Thanks!
>
> --
> Acer 532h Battery Problem
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/592908
> You received this bug notification because you are a direct subscriber
> of the bug.
>

--
Zachary Alex Stern
Photographer
917.727.3456

Ignacio (ignacio82) wrote :

How do you update the bios from linux?

On Fri, Aug 6, 2010 at 5:01 PM, Zachary Alex Stern
<email address hidden> wrote:
> Guys, whenever you're having power management or ACPI issues, always update
> your bios before reporting a bug.
>
> Unfortunately, Linux seems to be much more sensitive to these things than
> Windows . . .
>
> On Fri, Aug 6, 2010 at 4:41 PM, w7kmc <email address hidden> wrote:
>
>> I upgraded the BIOS from V1.21 to V1.25, and it is working fine now for
>> me too!   Thanks!
>>
>> --
>> Acer 532h Battery Problem
>> https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/592908
>> You received this bug notification because you are a direct subscriber
>> of the bug.
>>
>
>
> --
> Zachary Alex Stern
> Photographer
> 917.727.3456
>
> --
> Acer 532h Battery Problem
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/592908
> You received this bug notification because you are a direct subscriber
> of the bug.
>

Zee Alexander (pizzaops) wrote :

You can't. You have to install it from Windows, or boot DOS from USB and
install it from DOS. You could also use an external floppy drive and boot
DOS from that.

On Sat, Aug 7, 2010 at 6:13 PM, natacho <email address hidden> wrote:

> How do you update the bios from linux?
>
> On Fri, Aug 6, 2010 at 5:01 PM, Zachary Alex Stern
> <email address hidden> wrote:
> > Guys, whenever you're having power management or ACPI issues, always
> update
> > your bios before reporting a bug.
> >
> > Unfortunately, Linux seems to be much more sensitive to these things than
> > Windows . . .
> >
> > On Fri, Aug 6, 2010 at 4:41 PM, w7kmc <email address hidden> wrote:
> >
> >> I upgraded the BIOS from V1.21 to V1.25, and it is working fine now for
> >> me too! Thanks!
> >>
> >> --
> >> Acer 532h Battery Problem
> >> https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/592908
> >> You received this bug notification because you are a direct subscriber
> >> of the bug.
> >>
> >
> >
> > --
> > Zachary Alex Stern
> > Photographer
> > 917.727.3456
> >
> > --
> > Acer 532h Battery Problem
> > https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/592908
> > You received this bug notification because you are a direct subscriber
> > of the bug.
> >
>
> --
> Acer 532h Battery Problem
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/592908
> You received this bug notification because you are a direct subscriber
> of the bug.
>

--
Zachary Alex Stern
Photographer
917.727.3456

6 days without problem since I flashed my bios to 1.25

I think we can mark this bug as solved and close it...

Thank's

Ignacio (ignacio82) wrote :

Could you explain (step by step) how to flash to 1.25 if you only have
ubuntu installed (no windows) ?

Thanks!

On Thu, Aug 12, 2010 at 9:26 AM, Eric Bellavance
<email address hidden> wrote:
> 6 days without problem since I flashed my bios to 1.25
>
> I think we can mark this bug as solved and close it...
>
> Thank's
>
> --
> Acer 532h Battery Problem
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/592908
> You received this bug notification because you are a direct subscriber
> of the bug.
>

BE SURE you're not running on the battery during the BIOS Update Process
=======================================================

Download the BIOS zip file from Acer Website

To create a FreeDOS usb stick bootable I installed UNetbootin (Available in Ubuntu Synaptic). It will install in Application/System Tool

Insert your USb Stick

Start UNetBootin

Distribution: Select FreeDOS Version: 1.0

At the bottom of the screen , select your USB Drive

Click OK

FreeDos will be downloaded and copied on the USB stick...

When it finish, do not reboot...

Extract the BIOS ZIP file at the root of your USB Drive

Now you can retart your netbook to boot on the USB stick

at the A:\ prompt you will need to change for the C: drive to find the BIOS files

Launch the batch files...

Hope it's help!

Zee Alexander (pizzaops) wrote :

I don't. It's still a bug. The computer doesn't randomly shut down in
Windows, even with an older BIOS.

On Aug 12, 2010 9:36 AM, "Eric Bellavance" <email address hidden>
wrote:

6 days without problem since I flashed my bios to 1.25

I think we can mark this bug as solved and close it...

Thank's

--

Acer 532h Battery Problem
https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/592908
You received this bug notification ...

Pedro Villavicencio (pedro) wrote :

Thank you for taking the time to report this bug and helping to make Ubuntu better. A new version of Gnome Power Manager is available on Maverick and we are wondering if this bug is still an issue for you with that version? Could you please test and comment back? Thanks in advance.

Changed in gnome-power:
status: New → Incomplete
Zee Alexander (pizzaops) wrote :

The bug was already resolved with the latest BIOS update from Acer.

Additionally, I have installed Maverick Netbook edition, and have not
experienced this bug so far (with the new BIOS).

Plenty of Unity bugs though :-P

On Fri, Oct 15, 2010 at 2:19 PM, Pedro Villavicencio <email address hidden>wrote:

> Thank you for taking the time to report this bug and helping to make
> Ubuntu better. A new version of Gnome Power Manager is available on
> Maverick and we are wondering if this bug is still an issue for you with
> that version? Could you please test and comment back? Thanks in advance.
>
> ** Changed in: gnome-power
> Status: New => Incomplete
>
> --
> Acer 532h Battery Problem
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/592908
> You received this bug notification because you are a direct subscriber
> of the bug.
>

--
Zachary Alex Stern
Photographer
917.727.3456

w7kmc (w7kmc) wrote :

I have not seen this bug crop up again after the ACER BIOS update. The AO-532H netbook and the gnome-power-manager has been working fine, even after I upgraded to Maverick.Thanks,Kevin

--- On Fri, 10/15/10, Pedro Villavicencio <email address hidden> wrote:

From: Pedro Villavicencio <email address hidden>
Subject: [Bug 592908] Re: Acer 532h Battery Problem
To: <email address hidden>
Date: Friday, October 15, 2010, 2:19 PM

Thank you for taking the time to report this bug and helping to make
Ubuntu better. A new version of Gnome Power Manager is available on
Maverick and we are wondering if this bug is still an issue for you with
that version? Could you please test and comment back? Thanks in advance.

** Changed in: gnome-power
       Status: New => Incomplete

--
Acer 532h Battery Problem
https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/592908
You received this bug notification because you are a direct subscriber
of the bug.

Status in Gnome Powermanager: Incomplete
Status in “gnome-power-manager” package in Ubuntu: New

Bug description:
Binary package hint: gnome-power-manager

gnome-power-manager suddenly report battery is empty than hibernate. I restart the computer an gnome-power-manager report good battery level and I can continue to work.

Description:    Ubuntu 10.04 LTS
Release:    10.04

gnome-power-manager 2.30.0-0ubuntu1

ProblemType: Bug
DistroRelease: Ubuntu 10.04
Package: gnome-power-manager 2.30.0-0ubuntu1
ProcVersionSignature: Ubuntu 2.6.32-22.36-generic 2.6.32.11+drm33.2
Uname: Linux 2.6.32-22-generic i686
Architecture: i386
Date: Fri Jun 11 21:50:41 2010
ExecutablePath: /usr/bin/gnome-power-manager
GnomeSessionIdleInhibited: Unknown
GnomeSessionInhibitors: Failed to acquire
GnomeSessionSuspendInhibited: Unknown
InstallationMedia: Ubuntu-Netbook 10.04 "Lucid Lynx" - Release i386 (20100429.4)
MachineType: Acer AO532h
ProcCmdLine: BOOT_IMAGE=/boot/vmlinuz-2.6.32-22-generic root=UUID=f1964b95-b787-4080-ba24-4233d20b818e ro quiet splash
ProcEnviron:
 LANG=fr_CA.UTF-8
 SHELL=/bin/bash
SourcePackage: gnome-power-manager
dmi.bios.date: 03/11/2010
dmi.bios.vendor: Acer
dmi.bios.version: V1.20
dmi.board.asset.tag: Base Board Asset Tag
dmi.board.name: AO532h
dmi.board.vendor: Acer
dmi.board.version: V1.20
dmi.chassis.type: 10
dmi.chassis.vendor: Acer
dmi.chassis.version: V1.20
dmi.modalias: dmi:bvnAcer:bvrV1.20:bd03/11/2010:svnAcer:pnAO532h:pvrV1.20:rvnAcer:rnAO532h:rvrV1.20:cvnAcer:ct10:cvrV1.20:
dmi.product.name: AO532h
dmi.product.version: V1.20
dmi.sys.vendor: Acer

To unsubscribe from this bug, go to:
https://bugs.launchpad.net/gnome-power/+bug/592908/+subscribe

To post a comment you must log in.
This report contains Public information  Edit
Everyone can see this information.

Other bug subscribers