theme not applied to gnome-panel

Bug #773472 reported by sperlyjinx on 2011-04-29
44
This bug affects 7 people
Affects Status Importance Assigned to Milestone
gnome-panel (Ubuntu)
Low
Unassigned

Bug Description

Binary package hint: gnome-panel

I'm running Ubuntu as a VM under VMware Server and recently upgraded to 11.04 from 10.10. I use the Gnome classic mode since Unity isn't supported by the vmware drivers. For some reason, I cannot apply the theme to the gnome-panel. It seems to be stuck with the default theme, while the windows are using Ambiance. I've found several scattered reports of the same issue:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M1HWwHhZeTE
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1743065&highlight=panel+theme

Please let me know if you need any more info.

Here's the output of lsb_release -rd and apt-cache policy gnome-panel:

Description: Ubuntu 11.04
Release: 11.04

gnome-panel:
  Installed: 1:2.32.1-0ubuntu6.3
  Candidate: 1:2.32.1-0ubuntu6.3
  Version table:
 *** 1:2.32.1-0ubuntu6.3 0
        500 http://mirror.anl.gov/pub/ubuntu/ natty/main amd64 Packages
        100 /var/lib/dpkg/status

ProblemType: Bug
DistroRelease: Ubuntu 11.04
Package: gnome-panel 1:2.32.1-0ubuntu6.3
ProcVersionSignature: Ubuntu 2.6.38-8.42-virtual 2.6.38.2
Uname: Linux 2.6.38-8-virtual x86_64
Architecture: amd64
Date: Fri Apr 29 10:29:48 2011
ExecutablePath: /usr/bin/gnome-panel
GConfNonDefault:
 /apps/panel/general/applet_id_list=[trashapplet_screen0,workspace_switcher_screen0,window_list_screen0,show_desktop_button_screen0,notification_area_screen0,clock_screen0,mixer_screen0,applet_0,fast_user_switch_screen2,trashapplet_screen2,workspace_switcher_screen2,window_list_screen2,show_desktop_button_screen2,indicator_applet_screen2,notification_area_screen2,clock_screen2,fast_user_switch_screen1,trashapplet_screen1,workspace_switcher_screen1,window_list_screen1,show_desktop_button_screen1,indicator_applet_screen1,notification_area_screen1,clock_screen1,applet_4,applet_5,applet_6,applet_1]
 /apps/panel/general/object_id_list=[browser_launcher_screen0,menu_bar_screen0,object_0,object_2,object_4,object_5,object_6,object_7,object_8,object_10,object_12,object_13,object_19,object_1,yelp_launcher_screen2,browser_launcher_screen2,menu_bar_screen2,yelp_launcher_screen1,browser_launcher_screen1,menu_bar_screen1,object_11,object_14,object_15,object_9]
 /apps/panel/general/toplevel_id_list=[bottom_panel_screen0,top_panel_screen0,bottom_panel_screen2,top_panel_screen2,bottom_panel_screen1,top_panel_screen1]
InstallationMedia: Ubuntu 10.10 "Maverick Meerkat" - Release amd64 (20101007)
ProcEnviron:
 LANGUAGE=en_US:en
 PATH=(custom, no user)
 LANG=en_US.UTF-8
 SHELL=/bin/bash
SourcePackage: gnome-panel
UpgradeStatus: Upgraded to natty on 2011-04-28 (0 days ago)
XsessionErrors:
 (gnome-panel:1933): GConf-WARNING **: Directory `/apps/panel/toplevels/bottom_panel_screen2/screen' was not being monitored by GConfClient 0x118df00
 (gnome-panel:1933): GConf-WARNING **: Directory `/apps/panel/toplevels/top_panel_screen2/screen' was not being monitored by GConfClient 0x118df00
 (gnome-panel:1933): GConf-WARNING **: Directory `/apps/panel/toplevels/bottom_panel_screen1/screen' was not being monitored by GConfClient 0x118df00
 (gnome-panel:1933): GConf-WARNING **: Directory `/apps/panel/toplevels/top_panel_screen1/screen' was not being monitored by GConfClient 0x118df00
 (gnome-appearance-properties:2219): Gtk-CRITICAL **: gtk_tree_model_sort_real_unref_node: assertion `elt->ref_count > 0' failed

sperlyjinx (jgbaum) wrote :
sperlyjinx (jgbaum) wrote :

The theme also does not seem to be applied to the icons in nautilus either. It seems the theme only gets applied to the window borders. Perhaps this is not a gnome-panel problem?

Sam (nikon120) wrote :

Reference: http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php?p=10739786&postcount=14

Terminal command to temporarily fix theme issue, for that session:

"sudo gnome-settings-daeom"

Hope this gets fixed very soon!

Sam (nikon120) wrote :

Grr no edit capability for comments!

Fixing type for the command.

"sudo gnome-settings-daemon"

Pedro Villavicencio (pedro) wrote :

can you recreate the same with a new user created on the system? it looks more like a broken profile rather than a bug in gnome-panel.

Changed in gnome-panel (Ubuntu):
importance: Undecided → Low
status: New → Incomplete
Download full text (4.4 KiB)

I just created a brand new user and experience the exact same bug every
time, with either user.
The bug is corrected if, after logging in, I type 'sudo
gnome-settings-daemon' into a terminal. Then, to fix nautilus, I type
'killall nautilus' -- at that point everything runs great.

On Tue, May 17, 2011 at 3:05 PM, Pedro Villavicencio <email address hidden>wrote:

> can you recreate the same with a new user created on the system? it
> looks more like a broken profile rather than a bug in gnome-panel.
>
> ** Changed in: gnome-panel (Ubuntu)
> Importance: Undecided => Low
>
> ** Changed in: gnome-panel (Ubuntu)
> Status: New => Incomplete
>
> --
> You received this bug notification because you are a direct subscriber
> of the bug.
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/773472
>
> Title:
> theme not applied to gnome-panel
>
> Status in “gnome-panel” package in Ubuntu:
> Incomplete
>
> Bug description:
> Binary package hint: gnome-panel
>
> I'm running Ubuntu as a VM under VMware Server and recently upgraded
> to 11.04 from 10.10. I use the Gnome classic mode since Unity isn't
> supported by the vmware drivers. For some reason, I cannot apply the
> theme to the gnome-panel. It seems to be stuck with the default
> theme, while the windows are using Ambiance. I've found several
> scattered reports of the same issue:
>
> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M1HWwHhZeTE
> http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1743065&highlight=panel+theme
>
> Please let me know if you need any more info.
>
> Here's the output of lsb_release -rd and apt-cache policy gnome-panel:
>
> Description: Ubuntu 11.04
> Release: 11.04
>
>
> gnome-panel:
> Installed: 1:2.32.1-0ubuntu6.3
> Candidate: 1:2.32.1-0ubuntu6.3
> Version table:
> *** 1:2.32.1-0ubuntu6.3 0
> 500 http://mirror.anl.gov/pub/ubuntu/ natty/main amd64 Packages
> 100 /var/lib/dpkg/status
>
> ProblemType: Bug
> DistroRelease: Ubuntu 11.04
> Package: gnome-panel 1:2.32.1-0ubuntu6.3
> ProcVersionSignature: Ubuntu 2.6.38-8.42-virtual 2.6.38.2
> Uname: Linux 2.6.38-8-virtual x86_64
> Architecture: amd64
> Date: Fri Apr 29 10:29:48 2011
> ExecutablePath: /usr/bin/gnome-panel
> GConfNonDefault:
>
> /apps/panel/general/applet_id_list=[trashapplet_screen0,workspace_switcher_screen0,window_list_screen0,show_desktop_button_screen0,notification_area_screen0,clock_screen0,mixer_screen0,applet_0,fast_user_switch_screen2,trashapplet_screen2,workspace_switcher_screen2,window_list_screen2,show_desktop_button_screen2,indicator_applet_screen2,notification_area_screen2,clock_screen2,fast_user_switch_screen1,trashapplet_screen1,workspace_switcher_screen1,window_list_screen1,show_desktop_button_screen1,indicator_applet_screen1,notification_area_screen1,clock_screen1,applet_4,applet_5,applet_6,applet_1]
>
> /apps/panel/general/object_id_list=[browser_launcher_screen0,menu_bar_screen0,object_0,object_2,object_4,object_5,object_6,object_7,object_8,object_10,object_12,object_13,object_19,object_1,yelp_launcher_screen2,browser_launcher_screen2,menu_bar_screen2,yelp_launcher_screen1,browser_launcher_screen1,menu_bar_screen1,object_11,object_14,object_15,object_9]
>
> /apps/panel/g...

Read more...

Dan Quade (danquade) wrote :

Same problem on a fresh Natty install.

It most certainly is not a gnome-panel bug, because it happens to other programs too (gnome-terminal for example).
So it is probably a profiler bug, but a confirmed one nonetheless.

Pedro Villavicencio (pedro) wrote :

is the gnome-settings-daemon running? if not could you please enable apport and try to reproduce the issue? it could be a crash. also please attach your ~/.xsession-errors file to the report and please do not use sudo when executing a program for a normal user, that only causes corruption in your profile, thanks.

Mike Pasche (mike-d-pasche) wrote :
Download full text (4.2 KiB)

gnome-settings-daemon is running.

On Mon, May 30, 2011 at 10:15 AM, Pedro Villavicencio <email address hidden>wrote:

> is the gnome-settings-daemon running? if not could you please enable
> apport and try to reproduce the issue? it could be a crash. also please
> attach your ~/.xsession-errors file to the report and please do not use
> sudo when executing a program for a normal user, that only causes
> corruption in your profile, thanks.
>
> --
> You received this bug notification because you are a direct subscriber
> of the bug.
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/773472
>
> Title:
> theme not applied to gnome-panel
>
> Status in “gnome-panel” package in Ubuntu:
> Incomplete
>
> Bug description:
> Binary package hint: gnome-panel
>
> I'm running Ubuntu as a VM under VMware Server and recently upgraded
> to 11.04 from 10.10. I use the Gnome classic mode since Unity isn't
> supported by the vmware drivers. For some reason, I cannot apply the
> theme to the gnome-panel. It seems to be stuck with the default
> theme, while the windows are using Ambiance. I've found several
> scattered reports of the same issue:
>
> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M1HWwHhZeTE
> http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1743065&highlight=panel+theme
>
> Please let me know if you need any more info.
>
> Here's the output of lsb_release -rd and apt-cache policy gnome-panel:
>
> Description: Ubuntu 11.04
> Release: 11.04
>
>
> gnome-panel:
> Installed: 1:2.32.1-0ubuntu6.3
> Candidate: 1:2.32.1-0ubuntu6.3
> Version table:
> *** 1:2.32.1-0ubuntu6.3 0
> 500 http://mirror.anl.gov/pub/ubuntu/ natty/main amd64 Packages
> 100 /var/lib/dpkg/status
>
> ProblemType: Bug
> DistroRelease: Ubuntu 11.04
> Package: gnome-panel 1:2.32.1-0ubuntu6.3
> ProcVersionSignature: Ubuntu 2.6.38-8.42-virtual 2.6.38.2
> Uname: Linux 2.6.38-8-virtual x86_64
> Architecture: amd64
> Date: Fri Apr 29 10:29:48 2011
> ExecutablePath: /usr/bin/gnome-panel
> GConfNonDefault:
>
> /apps/panel/general/applet_id_list=[trashapplet_screen0,workspace_switcher_screen0,window_list_screen0,show_desktop_button_screen0,notification_area_screen0,clock_screen0,mixer_screen0,applet_0,fast_user_switch_screen2,trashapplet_screen2,workspace_switcher_screen2,window_list_screen2,show_desktop_button_screen2,indicator_applet_screen2,notification_area_screen2,clock_screen2,fast_user_switch_screen1,trashapplet_screen1,workspace_switcher_screen1,window_list_screen1,show_desktop_button_screen1,indicator_applet_screen1,notification_area_screen1,clock_screen1,applet_4,applet_5,applet_6,applet_1]
>
> /apps/panel/general/object_id_list=[browser_launcher_screen0,menu_bar_screen0,object_0,object_2,object_4,object_5,object_6,object_7,object_8,object_10,object_12,object_13,object_19,object_1,yelp_launcher_screen2,browser_launcher_screen2,menu_bar_screen2,yelp_launcher_screen1,browser_launcher_screen1,menu_bar_screen1,object_11,object_14,object_15,object_9]
>
> /apps/panel/general/toplevel_id_list=[bottom_panel_screen0,top_panel_screen0,bottom_panel_screen2,top_panel_screen2,bottom_panel_screen1,top_panel_screen1]
> InstallationMedia: Ubuntu 10.10 "Maverick Meerkat" - Release ...

Read more...

NoOp (glgxg) wrote :

I think this bug is more of a duplicate of
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/gnome-settings-daemon/+bug/649809/+index?comments=all
rather than 725584. I have same issues on VirtualBox 4.012 with Natty guest. After reading through all of 649809 I've found that if I set gdm to autologin everything works. With default manual login (Ubuntu Classic / Gnome) I experience the gnome-settings-daemon issue.

NoOp (glgxg) wrote :

I should add that the autologin trick only works for the first login. If you log out of the session and back in the original issue occurs and then you need to apply #6 again.

To post a comment you must log in.
This report contains Public information  Edit
Everyone can see this information.

Other bug subscribers