Ubuntu Single Sign-On not translated

Bug #1759251 reported by AsciiWolf on 2018-03-27
12
This bug affects 1 person
Affects Status Importance Assigned to Milestone
Ubuntu Translations
High
Unassigned
gnome-online-accounts (Ubuntu)
High
Gunnar Hjalmarsson

Bug Description

The Ubuntu Single Sign-On account settings was added into Online Accounts in the recent update of Ubuntu 18.04. Unfortunately, it is untranslated on my non-English (Czech) system and unavailable for translation via Launchpad. See the attached screenshot.

AsciiWolf (asciiwolf) wrote :
Jeremy Bicha (jbicha) on 2018-03-27
no longer affects: gnome-control-center (Ubuntu)
Changed in gnome-online-accounts (Ubuntu):
importance: Undecided → High
Changed in ubuntu-translations:
importance: Undecided → High
Gunnar Hjalmarsson (gunnarhj) wrote :

We need to ask dh_translations for an update of gnome-online-accounts.pot.

Changed in gnome-online-accounts (Ubuntu):
assignee: nobody → Gunnar Hjalmarsson (gunnarhj)
status: New → In Progress
tags: added: patch
Jeremy Bicha (jbicha) wrote :

Hmm

Gunnar Hjalmarsson (gunnarhj) wrote :

Jeremy just let me know that "Hmm" means this:

An alternative to the proposal in the debdiff might be to change line 112 in dh_translations from

@cmd=('make', $domain . '.pot');

to

@cmd=('make', $domain . '.pot-update');

in order to force an update without the rename trick. This might benefit other packages as well.

Gunnar Hjalmarsson (gunnarhj) wrote :

Question: Does po/Makefile always understand "make $(DOMAIN).pot-update"?

Sebastien Bacher (seb128) wrote :

> Question: Does po/Makefile always understand "make $(DOMAIN).pot-update"?

No, that's specific to meson project I think, "classic autotools based" GNOME components (or pre-conversion) just understand the "make $domain.pot" target

The change is hackish but I don't see a better way at the moment. We should probably improve dh_translations to take extra arguments like --meson which would pot-update, and also --domain to let us specify the domain since we don't seem to be able to guess it easily from meson build files, so those projects could at least use e.g "dh_translation --meson --domain=DOMAIN" instead of hacks

Gunnar Hjalmarsson (gunnarhj) wrote :

Actually I think that "make $(DOMAIN).pot-update" would have worked for gnome-online-accounts. From po/Makefile:

# This rule has no dependencies: we don't need to update $(DOMAIN).pot
# at every "make" invocation, only create it when it is missing.
# Only "make $(DOMAIN).pot-update" or "make dist" will force an update.
$(srcdir)/$(DOMAIN).pot:
 $(MAKE) $(DOMAIN).pot-update

I can't tell, though, if that's the case for all packages where dh_translations runs make() to create the .pot file.

Gunnar Hjalmarsson (gunnarhj) wrote :

For test purposes I made this change:

$ diff /usr/bin/dh_translations.orig /usr/bin/dh_translations
112c112
< @cmd=('make', $domain . '.pot');
---
> @cmd=('make', $domain . '.pot-update');

Then I built gnome-online-accounts locally, and the .pot file was nicely updated.

So making that change to dh_translations seems to be an alternative way to handle this bug. Possibly it's the right way.

One doubt is whether there is a risk that other packages, whose .pot files are created via this command, have versions of po/Makefile that don't understand the -update suffix. Or maybe it's a standard thing which ought to work in all cases.

Another thing is whether there are packages with externally maintained .pot files which we don't want to overwrite this way.

For now, if we are not sure about those things, and since it's urgent to make the strings available to the translators, I'd vote for building gnome-online-accounts with the patch I wrote.

Sebastien Bacher (seb128) wrote :

Let's upload your fix for now so we unblock the translators

Changed in gnome-online-accounts (Ubuntu):
status: In Progress → Fix Committed
Launchpad Janitor (janitor) wrote :

This bug was fixed in the package gnome-online-accounts - 3.27.92-1ubuntu3

---------------
gnome-online-accounts (3.27.92-1ubuntu3) bionic; urgency=medium

  * debian/rules:
    Make sure that gnome-online-accounts.pot is refreshed so the
    strings from 0001-ubuntu-sso-provider.patch are included
    (LP: #1759251).

 -- Gunnar Hjalmarsson <email address hidden> Tue, 27 Mar 2018 23:17:00 +0200

Changed in gnome-online-accounts (Ubuntu):
status: Fix Committed → Fix Released
Gunnar Hjalmarsson (gunnarhj) wrote :

Those strings are available in LP now.

Changed in ubuntu-translations:
status: New → Fix Released
To post a comment you must log in.
This report contains Public information  Edit
Everyone can see this information.

Other bug subscribers