Ubuntu

The default apps should have standard menubars under Unity

Reported by John Lea on 2013-02-22
84
This bug affects 16 people
Affects Status Importance Assigned to Milestone
Ayatana Design
Critical
John Lea
File Roller
New
Undecided
bluedxca93
GNOME Mines
New
Undecided
Unassigned
Rhythmbox
New
Medium
gThumb
New
Undecided
Unassigned
evince (Ubuntu)
High
Lars Uebernickel
file-roller (Ubuntu)
High
Unassigned
gnome-calculator (Ubuntu)
Medium
Andrea Azzarone
gnome-control-center (Ubuntu)
Medium
Andrea Azzarone
gnote (Ubuntu)
Wishlist
Unassigned
nautilus (Ubuntu)
High
Lars Uebernickel
rhythmbox (Ubuntu)
High
Lars Uebernickel

Bug Description

When fixing this bug, also take a look at bug #1130722 at the same time if possible.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

In Raring, the 'Calculator' app should have the following menu items:

=== Edit ===

Copy
Paste
---------
Undo
Redo
---------
Preferences
---------
Quit

=== Mode ===

Basic
Advanced
Financial
Programming

=== Help ===

Contents
About

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

In Raring, the 'System Settings' app should have the following menu items:

=== Help ===

Contents
[Optional link to help doc for the currently selected settings panel]
---------
Quit

John Lea (johnlea) on 2013-02-22
description: updated
description: updated
description: updated
Changed in ayatana-design:
assignee: nobody → John Lea (johnlea)
Changed in gcalctool (Ubuntu):
assignee: nobody → Michael Terry (mterry)
Changed in gnome-control-center (Ubuntu):
assignee: nobody → Michael Terry (mterry)
Changed in ayatana-design:
status: New → Fix Committed
Changed in gnome-control-center (Ubuntu):
importance: Undecided → Medium
Changed in gcalctool (Ubuntu):
importance: Undecided → Medium
status: New → Triaged
Changed in ayatana-design:
importance: Undecided → Medium
Changed in gnome-control-center (Ubuntu):
status: New → Triaged
tags: added: udp
Jeremy Bicha (jbicha) wrote :

For System Settings, I'm not sure Help>Contents is what we want. For GNOME-provided panels, the Help button points to more specific help if available. For instance, clicking Help when you are looking at the User panel shows you a locally installed version of https://help.ubuntu.com/stable/ubuntu-help/user-accounts.html

John Lea (johnlea) on 2013-02-22
description: updated
Jeremy Bicha (jbicha) on 2013-03-02
affects: gcalctool (Ubuntu) → gnome-calculator (Ubuntu)
Changed in gnome-control-center (Ubuntu):
assignee: Michael Terry (mterry) → nobody
Changed in gnome-calculator (Ubuntu):
assignee: Michael Terry (mterry) → nobody
Changed in gnome-calculator (Ubuntu):
assignee: nobody → Andrea Azzarone (andyrock)
status: Triaged → In Progress
Andrea Azzarone (andyrock) wrote :

The attachment "unity_menu.diff" seems to be a patch. If it isn't, please remove the "patch" flag from the attachment, remove the "patch" tag, and if you are a member of the ~ubuntu-reviewers, unsubscribe the team.

[This is an automated message performed by a Launchpad user owned by ~brian-murray, for any issues please contact him.]

tags: added: patch
Sebastien Bacher (seb128) wrote :

Thanks andyrock, we try to change the behaviour of programs we patch only under unity, do you think you could make it use the standard menubar only if XDG_CURRENT_DESKTOP=Unity and use the upstream one otherwise?

Andrea Azzarone (andyrock) wrote :

Ok I updated the patch.

Changed in gnome-control-center (Ubuntu):
status: Triaged → In Progress
assignee: nobody → Andrea Azzarone (andyrock)
Sebastien Bacher (seb128) wrote :

Thanks, that seems good. Design question, shouldn't "Close" be "Quit" rather?

Launchpad Janitor (janitor) wrote :

This bug was fixed in the package gnome-calculator - 1:3.8.2-1ubuntu3

---------------
gnome-calculator (1:3.8.2-1ubuntu3) saucy; urgency=low

  * debian/patches/unity_classic_menubar.patch:
    - use a classic menu layout under Unity, the gnome-shell simplified menu
      doesn't work great for Unity (lp: #1131664)
 -- Sebastien Bacher <email address hidden> Fri, 07 Jun 2013 18:18:04 +0200

Changed in gnome-calculator (Ubuntu):
status: In Progress → Fix Released
Andrea Azzarone (andyrock) wrote :
Sebastien Bacher (seb128) wrote :

Thanks, I'm looking at that one, but it would be nice if design could reply to the question about "Quit vs Close" before we upload...

John Lea (johnlea) on 2013-07-09
description: updated
Sebastien Bacher (seb128) wrote :

@andyrock: thanks for the work, some comments:

- could you try opening an upstream bug for the "list help item for the current selected panel", who knows they might like the idea there

- the patch doesn't build: "shell/control-center.c:239: undefined reference to `cc_panel_get_display_name'"

this function doesn't seem to be defined in the upstream source?

- Close should be Quit (I said I would change it locally but if you update the patch you can as well do that with the update)

summary: - Patch the menus of the 'Calculator' and 'System Settings' apps to fit
- with Unity
+ Patch the menus of the 'Calculator', 'Document Viewer' and 'System
+ Settings' apps to fit with Unity
Changed in evince (Ubuntu):
status: New → Confirmed

Patch updated!

Changed in evince (Ubuntu):
status: Confirmed → Incomplete
Andrea Azzarone (andyrock) wrote :

We need design for evince.

John Lea (johnlea) wrote :

@andyrock; for evince could we revert the menu back to as close to the same menu structure as evince had in 13.10?

Launchpad Janitor (janitor) wrote :

This bug was fixed in the package gnome-control-center - 1:3.6.3-0ubuntu33

---------------
gnome-control-center (1:3.6.3-0ubuntu33) saucy; urgency=low

  [ Jeremy Bicha ]
  * Restore 57_use_nonsymbolic_keyboard_icon.patch, the ubuntu-themes
    merge proposal wasn't accepted yet

  [ Tim Lunn ]
  * debian/patches/git_shell_use_view_style_class.patch: git patch to
    fix mismatched backgrounds (LP: #1218102)
 -- Tim Lunn <email address hidden> Thu, 29 Aug 2013 19:23:56 +1000

Changed in gnome-control-center (Ubuntu):
status: In Progress → Fix Released
Changed in evince (Ubuntu):
status: Incomplete → Confirmed
bluedxca93 (bluedxca93) wrote :

fileroller = 3.7x in fr-window.c
  menubar = gtk_ui_manager_get_widget (ui, "/MenuBar");
 fr_window_attach (FR_WINDOW (window), menubar, FR_WINDOW_AREA_MENUBAR);
  gtk_widget_show (menubar);

and after 3.7.x to the new version (3.10)

g_object_set (other_actions_action, "menu", gtk_ui_manager_get_widget (ui, "/OtherActionsMenu"), NULL);
 g_object_unref (other_actions_action);

for evince see:
http://gnome-look.org/content/show.php/Evince+3.10+with+menubar?content=161336

Changed in file-roller:
assignee: nobody → bluedxca93 (bluedxca93)
bluedxca93 (bluedxca93) wrote :
Changed in evince (Ubuntu):
status: Confirmed → Fix Released
Changed in file-roller (Ubuntu):
status: New → Confirmed
no longer affects: evince (Ubuntu)
Changed in evince (Ubuntu):
status: New → Confirmed

Hello,
yeah i might take a look, but Nemo does that already pretty well, so it
isn`t my priority...

2013/10/22 Marco Trevisan (Treviño) <mail@3v1n0.net>

> ** Changed in: file-roller (Ubuntu)
> Status: New => Confirmed
>
> ** No longer affects: evince (Ubuntu)
>
> ** Also affects: evince (Ubuntu)
> Importance: Undecided
> Status: New
>
> ** Changed in: evince (Ubuntu)
> Status: New => Confirmed
>
> --
> You received this bug notification because you are subscribed to the bug
> report.
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/1131664
>
> Title:
> Patch the menus of the 'Calculator', 'Document Viewer' and 'System
> Settings' apps to fit with Unity
>
> Status in Ayatana Design:
> Fix Committed
> Status in File Roller:
> New
> Status in “evince” package in Ubuntu:
> Confirmed
> Status in “file-roller” package in Ubuntu:
> Confirmed
> Status in “gnome-calculator” package in Ubuntu:
> Fix Released
> Status in “gnome-control-center” package in Ubuntu:
> Fix Released
>
> Bug description:
> When fixing this bug, also take a look at bug #1130722 at the same
> time if possible.
>
>
> ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
>
> In Raring, the 'Calculator' app should have the following menu items:
>
> === Edit ===
>
> Copy
> Paste
> ---------
> Undo
> Redo
> ---------
> Preferences
> ---------
> Quit
>
> === Mode ===
>
> Basic
> Advanced
> Financial
> Programming
>
> === Help ===
>
> Contents
> About
>
>
> ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
>
> In Raring, the 'System Settings' app should have the following menu
> items:
>
> === Help ===
>
> Contents
> [Optional link to help doc for the currently selected settings panel]
> ---------
> Quit
>
> To manage notifications about this bug go to:
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/ayatana-design/+bug/1131664/+subscriptions
>

bluedxca93 (bluedxca93) wrote :

Can someone send me a message how to use diff??. Otherwise i will upload
the whole source folder with lzma and then upload it.

2013/10/22 Frieder Saugschmerle <email address hidden>

> Hello,
> yeah i might take a look, but Nemo does that already pretty well, so it
> isn`t my priority...
>
>
> 2013/10/22 Marco Trevisan (Treviño) <mail@3v1n0.net>
>
> ** Changed in: file-roller (Ubuntu)
>> Status: New => Confirmed
>>
>> ** No longer affects: evince (Ubuntu)
>>
>> ** Also affects: evince (Ubuntu)
>> Importance: Undecided
>> Status: New
>>
>> ** Changed in: evince (Ubuntu)
>> Status: New => Confirmed
>>
>> --
>> You received this bug notification because you are subscribed to the bug
>> report.
>> https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/1131664
>>
>> Title:
>> Patch the menus of the 'Calculator', 'Document Viewer' and 'System
>> Settings' apps to fit with Unity
>>
>> Status in Ayatana Design:
>> Fix Committed
>> Status in File Roller:
>> New
>> Status in “evince” package in Ubuntu:
>> Confirmed
>> Status in “file-roller” package in Ubuntu:
>> Confirmed
>> Status in “gnome-calculator” package in Ubuntu:
>> Fix Released
>> Status in “gnome-control-center” package in Ubuntu:
>> Fix Released
>>
>> Bug description:
>> When fixing this bug, also take a look at bug #1130722 at the same
>> time if possible.
>>
>>
>> ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
>>
>> In Raring, the 'Calculator' app should have the following menu items:
>>
>> === Edit ===
>>
>> Copy
>> Paste
>> ---------
>> Undo
>> Redo
>> ---------
>> Preferences
>> ---------
>> Quit
>>
>> === Mode ===
>>
>> Basic
>> Advanced
>> Financial
>> Programming
>>
>> === Help ===
>>
>> Contents
>> About
>>
>>
>> ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
>>
>> In Raring, the 'System Settings' app should have the following menu
>> items:
>>
>> === Help ===
>>
>> Contents
>> [Optional link to help doc for the currently selected settings panel]
>> ---------
>> Quit
>>
>> To manage notifications about this bug go to:
>> https://bugs.launchpad.net/ayatana-design/+bug/1131664/+subscriptions
>>
>
>

@bluedxca93: from a toplevel directory with the original tree and the fixed tree, use diff like so:

diff -Naurp oldtree newtree > changes.patch

There for evince. Hope it works.
Have also repatched file-roller and epiphany ( However the full menu mode
in eiphany doesn`t work jet.).
In epiphany and file-roller is something strange:
In file-roller i have to first download and configure it via apt-src.
Then i have then to patch an makefile.am and then apply the other patches
and then reconfigure it.
In epiphany won`t work the default configure vut the one from apt-src works
fine.

 evince.patch<https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B80SfhWhhiyZT29Md1BLbkFGV0U/edit?usp=drive_web>

2013/10/29 Marc Deslauriers <email address hidden>

> @bluedxca93: from a toplevel directory with the original tree and the
> fixed tree, use diff like so:
>
> diff -Naurp oldtree newtree > changes.patch
>
> --
> You received this bug notification because you are subscribed to the bug
> report.
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/1131664
>
> Title:
> Patch the menus of the 'Calculator', 'Document Viewer' and 'System
> Settings' apps to fit with Unity
>
> Status in Ayatana Design:
> Fix Committed
> Status in File Roller:
> New
> Status in “evince” package in Ubuntu:
> Confirmed
> Status in “file-roller” package in Ubuntu:
> Confirmed
> Status in “gnome-calculator” package in Ubuntu:
> Fix Released
> Status in “gnome-control-center” package in Ubuntu:
> Fix Released
>
> Bug description:
> When fixing this bug, also take a look at bug #1130722 at the same
> time if possible.
>
>
> ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
>
> In Raring, the 'Calculator' app should have the following menu items:
>
> === Edit ===
>
> Copy
> Paste
> ---------
> Undo
> Redo
> ---------
> Preferences
> ---------
> Quit
>
> === Mode ===
>
> Basic
> Advanced
> Financial
> Programming
>
> === Help ===
>
> Contents
> About
>
>
> ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
>
> In Raring, the 'System Settings' app should have the following menu
> items:
>
> === Help ===
>
> Contents
> [Optional link to help doc for the currently selected settings panel]
> ---------
> Quit
>
> To manage notifications about this bug go to:
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/ayatana-design/+bug/1131664/+subscriptions
>

bluedxca93 (bluedxca93) wrote :

here the file-roller lzma. I`m also working on an patch, but this folder at
least compiles fine.!!
You have to reconfigure it!!. I will send the epiphany version soon too (
perhaps with fullscreen support).

2013/10/30 Frieder Saugschmerle <email address hidden>

> There for evince. Hope it works.
> Have also repatched file-roller and epiphany ( However the full menu mode
> in eiphany doesn`t work jet.).
> In epiphany and file-roller is something strange:
> In file-roller i have to first download and configure it via apt-src.
> Then i have then to patch an makefile.am and then apply the other
> patches and then reconfigure it.
> In epiphany won`t work the default configure vut the one from apt-src
> works fine.
>
> evince.patch<https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B80SfhWhhiyZT29Md1BLbkFGV0U/edit?usp=drive_web>
>
>
>
> 2013/10/29 Marc Deslauriers <email address hidden>
>
>> @bluedxca93: from a toplevel directory with the original tree and the
>> fixed tree, use diff like so:
>>
>> diff -Naurp oldtree newtree > changes.patch
>>
>> --
>> You received this bug notification because you are subscribed to the bug
>> report.
>> https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/1131664
>>
>> Title:
>> Patch the menus of the 'Calculator', 'Document Viewer' and 'System
>> Settings' apps to fit with Unity
>>
>> Status in Ayatana Design:
>> Fix Committed
>> Status in File Roller:
>> New
>> Status in “evince” package in Ubuntu:
>> Confirmed
>> Status in “file-roller” package in Ubuntu:
>> Confirmed
>> Status in “gnome-calculator” package in Ubuntu:
>> Fix Released
>> Status in “gnome-control-center” package in Ubuntu:
>> Fix Released
>>
>> Bug description:
>> When fixing this bug, also take a look at bug #1130722 at the same
>> time if possible.
>>
>>
>> ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
>>
>> In Raring, the 'Calculator' app should have the following menu items:
>>
>> === Edit ===
>>
>> Copy
>> Paste
>> ---------
>> Undo
>> Redo
>> ---------
>> Preferences
>> ---------
>> Quit
>>
>> === Mode ===
>>
>> Basic
>> Advanced
>> Financial
>> Programming
>>
>> === Help ===
>>
>> Contents
>> About
>>
>>
>> ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
>>
>> In Raring, the 'System Settings' app should have the following menu
>> items:
>>
>> === Help ===
>>
>> Contents
>> [Optional link to help doc for the currently selected settings panel]
>> ---------
>> Quit
>>
>> To manage notifications about this bug go to:
>> https://bugs.launchpad.net/ayatana-design/+bug/1131664/+subscriptions
>>
>
>

Changed in evince (Ubuntu):
importance: Undecided → High
Changed in file-roller (Ubuntu):
importance: Undecided → High
status: Confirmed → Triaged
Changed in evince (Ubuntu):
status: Confirmed → Triaged

Here's a debdiff for evince for saucy I worked on.

What's left to do:
- port it to trusty
- make it use gtk-shell-shows-menubar instead of XDG_CURRENT_DESKTOP so it can be upstreamed
- Fix a bug where about 1 in 5 launches results in the menu items being greyed out. Not sure if this is an issue with the patch though as with UBUNTU_MENUPROXY it works every time.

Download full text (3.7 KiB)

Hi,
will try this patch soon.
It seems to be nearly my patche + adding unity support. I hope my
patch was a help.

I think in evince there is one big problem:
1) the menubar schould not be visible in fullscreen or presentation
mode and fix the possible fals re arranging of the menubar-/ toolbars
when leaving those.

I think the importance of your second bug is currently low. When
trusty will be stable there will be an other version than evince 3.10
so there will be a new patch.

I will test if your third bug also affects cinnamon. If it is so i
will find a way to patch it. Otherwise it's unity specific and i can`t
use unity in virtualbox with cinnamon installed.

The file-roller patch will took more time to create, i'm sure . But
perhaps you will make it. I've sucessfully patched the uploaded
source folder which compiles fine on my PC , but every time i want to
create a patch it fails for unknown reasons.

I could create some langugage file patches if you want that. 'can
understand english french and german, and i think i would be able to
re- insert some code for other european languages too.

For the moment apart from epiphany, only the main program binarys are
really different from the not patched ones. In file-roller ther is an
ugly attach menubar code which should be deleted soon )= . I'will
perhaps take a look at the gome main games section ( as gnome-mine)
soon. I'm not an programmer and i can't write anything in C or python
but the code changes for the menubar are nearly normally readable. I
now also how to wirte gtk3 css files and this is really similar.

regards bluedxca93

2013/11/14, Marc Deslauriers <email address hidden>:
> Here's a debdiff for evince for saucy I worked on.
>
> What's left to do:
> - port it to trusty
> - make it use gtk-shell-shows-menubar instead of XDG_CURRENT_DESKTOP so it
> can be upstreamed
> - Fix a bug where about 1 in 5 launches results in the menu items being
> greyed out. Not sure if this is an issue with the patch though as with
> UBUNTU_MENUPROXY it works every time.
>
> ** Patch added: "evince_3.10.0-0ubuntu2.1~md1.debdiff"
>
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/evince/+bug/1131664/+attachment/3908909/+files/evince_3.10.0-0ubuntu2.1%7Emd1.debdiff
>
> --
> You received this bug notification because you are subscribed to the bug
> report.
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/1131664
>
> Title:
> Patch the menus of the 'Calculator', 'Document Viewer' and 'System
> Settings' apps to fit with Unity
>
> Status in Ayatana Design:
> Fix Committed
> Status in File Roller:
> New
> Status in “evince” package in Ubuntu:
> Triaged
> Status in “file-roller” package in Ubuntu:
> Triaged
> Status in “gnome-calculator” package in Ubuntu:
> Fix Released
> Status in “gnome-control-center” package in Ubuntu:
> Fix Released
>
> Bug description:
> When fixing this bug, also take a look at bug #1130722 at the same
> time if possible.
>
>
> ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
>
> In Raring, the 'Calculator' app should have the following menu items:
>
> === Edit ===
>
> Copy
> Paste
> ---------
> Undo
> Redo
> ---------...

Read more...

Marc Deslauriers (mdeslaur) wrote :

> It seems to be nearly my patche + adding unity support. I hope my
patch was a help.

Yes, along with a few other fixes. I've credited you in the patch header.

> 1) the menubar schould not be visible in fullscreen or presentation
mode and fix the possible fals re arranging of the menubar-/ toolbars
when leaving those.

Yes, those are some of the issues which are fixed in my patch.

Thx. Yes the "show_menubar" function is also in epiphany and
file-roller a problem.
Perhaps an simple show_menubar function for an simple dummy "hello"
world like program would help.

2013/11/14, Marc Deslauriers <email address hidden>:
>> It seems to be nearly my patche + adding unity support. I hope my
> patch was a help.
>
> Yes, along with a few other fixes. I've credited you in the patch
> header.
>
>> 1) the menubar schould not be visible in fullscreen or presentation
> mode and fix the possible fals re arranging of the menubar-/ toolbars
> when leaving those.
>
> Yes, those are some of the issues which are fixed in my patch.
>
> --
> You received this bug notification because you are subscribed to the bug
> report.
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/1131664
>
> Title:
> Patch the menus of the 'Calculator', 'Document Viewer' and 'System
> Settings' apps to fit with Unity
>
> Status in Ayatana Design:
> Fix Committed
> Status in File Roller:
> New
> Status in “evince” package in Ubuntu:
> Triaged
> Status in “file-roller” package in Ubuntu:
> Triaged
> Status in “gnome-calculator” package in Ubuntu:
> Fix Released
> Status in “gnome-control-center” package in Ubuntu:
> Fix Released
>
> Bug description:
> When fixing this bug, also take a look at bug #1130722 at the same
> time if possible.
>
>
> ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
>
> In Raring, the 'Calculator' app should have the following menu items:
>
> === Edit ===
>
> Copy
> Paste
> ---------
> Undo
> Redo
> ---------
> Preferences
> ---------
> Quit
>
> === Mode ===
>
> Basic
> Advanced
> Financial
> Programming
>
> === Help ===
>
> Contents
> About
>
>
> ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
>
> In Raring, the 'System Settings' app should have the following menu
> items:
>
> === Help ===
>
> Contents
> [Optional link to help doc for the currently selected settings panel]
> ---------
> Quit
>
> To manage notifications about this bug go to:
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/ayatana-design/+bug/1131664/+subscriptions
>

summary: - Patch the menus of the 'Calculator', 'Document Viewer' and 'System
- Settings' apps to fit with Unity
+ The default apps should have standard menubars under Unity
Changed in rhythmbox (Ubuntu):
status: New → Triaged
importance: Undecided → High
Changed in rhythmbox:
importance: Unknown → Medium
status: Unknown → New

WARNING: New evince patch not working on Cinnamon or other DE's than unity..

2013/11/15, Sebastien Bacher <email address hidden>:
> ** Summary changed:
>
> - Patch the menus of the 'Calculator', 'Document Viewer' and 'System
> Settings' apps to fit with Unity
> + The default apps should have standard menubars under Unity
>
> ** Also affects: rhythmbox (Ubuntu)
> Importance: Undecided
> Status: New
>
> ** Changed in: rhythmbox (Ubuntu)
> Status: New => Triaged
>
> ** Changed in: rhythmbox (Ubuntu)
> Importance: Undecided => High
>
> ** Bug watch added: GNOME Bug Tracker #712357
> https://bugzilla.gnome.org/show_bug.cgi?id=712357
>
> ** Also affects: rhythmbox via
> https://bugzilla.gnome.org/show_bug.cgi?id=712357
> Importance: Unknown
> Status: Unknown
>
> --
> You received this bug notification because you are subscribed to the bug
> report.
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/1131664
>
> Title:
> The default apps should have standard menubars under Unity
>
> Status in Ayatana Design:
> Fix Committed
> Status in File Roller:
> New
> Status in The Rhythmbox Music Management Application:
> Unknown
> Status in “evince” package in Ubuntu:
> Triaged
> Status in “file-roller” package in Ubuntu:
> Triaged
> Status in “gnome-calculator” package in Ubuntu:
> Fix Released
> Status in “gnome-control-center” package in Ubuntu:
> Fix Released
> Status in “rhythmbox” package in Ubuntu:
> Triaged
>
> Bug description:
> When fixing this bug, also take a look at bug #1130722 at the same
> time if possible.
>
>
> ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
>
> In Raring, the 'Calculator' app should have the following menu items:
>
> === Edit ===
>
> Copy
> Paste
> ---------
> Undo
> Redo
> ---------
> Preferences
> ---------
> Quit
>
> === Mode ===
>
> Basic
> Advanced
> Financial
> Programming
>
> === Help ===
>
> Contents
> About
>
>
> ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
>
> In Raring, the 'System Settings' app should have the following menu
> items:
>
> === Help ===
>
> Contents
> [Optional link to help doc for the currently selected settings panel]
> ---------
> Quit
>
> To manage notifications about this bug go to:
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/ayatana-design/+bug/1131664/+subscriptions
>

bluedxca93 (bluedxca93) wrote :

Problem for evince under cinnamon is located in set_widget_visibility
(priv->toolbar, toolbar); . Normally the appmenu is loaded instead of
the menubar, removing this one line and to delete the appmenu.ui
builder command from code fix the problem temporarily with compiler
warnings.

Denis Washington (dwashington) wrote :

Patch against the current development release (3.10.1ubuntu1). This patch is different from the previous Evince patches in the following ways:

* It uses the "gtk-shell-show-app-menu" and "gtk-shell-show-menubar" settings, which should make it work correctly in any desktop environment.

* It slightly updates the Evince 3.6 menu structure to more closely resemble the new action menus (i.e. subtle differences in separator placement and item ordering).

To complete this work, some translations from 3.6 would need to be ported to 3.10 as they don't exist anymore (e.g. for the top-level menu labels "File", "Edit", "View" and "Go"), but I don't really have the expertise to do this so I left it alone for now.

Denis Washington (dwashington) wrote :

I don't want to be pushy, but I would be very happy if my patch for Evince could be reviewed. I am interested in producing similar patches for other default applications, but I want to be sure that I followed the right approach before doing so.

Gunnar Hjalmarsson (gunnarhj) wrote :

@Denis: I subscribed ubuntu-sponsors to this bug report. That way it will appear in the sponsorship queue (http://reqorts.qa.ubuntu.com/reports/sponsoring/) and the chance that somebody reviews it soon increases. :)

Sebastien Bacher (seb128) wrote :

@Denis: thanks for your work. We are interested in such patches/changes yes.

Lars has been working on evince as well so I'm assigning that to him so he can review your change/reconciliate that with the work he has been doing (he should probably have assigned the bug to himself/commented to avoid work duplication, sorry about that)

Changed in evince (Ubuntu):
assignee: nobody → Lars Uebernickel (larsu)
Dmitry Shachnev (mitya57) wrote :

Unsubscribing sponsors, as there is no ready-for-upload .debdiff yet (and this bug already has an assignee).

Launchpad Janitor (janitor) wrote :

This bug was fixed in the package evince - 3.10.3-0ubuntu3

---------------
evince (3.10.3-0ubuntu3) trusty; urgency=medium

  * Add GMenuModel port (lp: #1131664)
 -- Lars Uebernickel <email address hidden> Tue, 04 Feb 2014 15:22:45 +0000

Changed in evince (Ubuntu):
status: Triaged → Fix Released
Sergio Benjamim (sergio-br2) wrote :

So, if I don't use Unity, how can I access menus?

In Xfce, there is no menu in evince window, after this update...

Sergio Benjamim (sergio-br2) wrote :

Gthumb and gnome mines are default in xubuntu.

There is a icon like a settings gear on the RIGHT hand side of the menu
bar/toolbar. Click on that and a drop down menu appears.

On 6 February 2014 11:26, Sergio Benjamim <email address hidden> wrote:

> So, if I don't use Unity, how can I access menus?
>
> In Xfce, there is no menu in evince window, after this update...
>
> --
> You received this bug notification because you are a member of AIMS,
> which is subscribed to the bug report.
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/1131664
>
> Title:
> The default apps should have standard menubars under Unity
>
> Status in Ayatana Design:
> Fix Committed
> Status in File Roller:
> New
> Status in Mines:
> New
> Status in The Gnome Thumbnail Image Viewer:
> New
> Status in The Rhythmbox Music Management Application:
> New
> Status in "evince" package in Ubuntu:
> Fix Released
> Status in "file-roller" package in Ubuntu:
> Triaged
> Status in "gnome-calculator" package in Ubuntu:
> Fix Released
> Status in "gnome-control-center" package in Ubuntu:
> Fix Released
> Status in "rhythmbox" package in Ubuntu:
> Triaged
>
> Bug description:
> When fixing this bug, also take a look at bug #1130722 at the same
> time if possible.
>
>
> ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
>
> In Raring, the 'Calculator' app should have the following menu items:
>
> === Edit ===
>
> Copy
> Paste
> ---------
> Undo
> Redo
> ---------
> Preferences
> ---------
> Quit
>
> === Mode ===
>
> Basic
> Advanced
> Financial
> Programming
>
> === Help ===
>
> Contents
> About
>
>
> ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
>
> In Raring, the 'System Settings' app should have the following menu
> items:
>
> === Help ===
>
> Contents
> [Optional link to help doc for the currently selected settings panel]
> ---------
> Quit
>
> To manage notifications about this bug go to:
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/ayatana-design/+bug/1131664/+subscriptions
>
> --
> Mailing list: https://launchpad.net/~aims
> Post to : <email address hidden>
> Unsubscribe : https://launchpad.net/~aims
> More help : https://help.launchpad.net/ListHelp
>

--
  .~.
  /V\ Jan Groenewald
 /( )\ www.aims.ac.za
 ^^-^^

Sergio Benjamim (sergio-br2) wrote :

jan-aims, are you sure? Take a look at the picture.

Jan Groenewald (jan-aims) wrote :

OK, no, yours is different.
I don't have access to these versions right now to check.
Regards,
Jan

On 6 February 2014 11:47, Sergio Benjamim <email address hidden> wrote:

> jan-aims, are you sure? Take a look at the picture.
>
> ** Attachment added: "evince with no menu in xfce.png"
>
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/gnome-mines/+bug/1131664/+attachment/3971023/+files/evince%20with%20no%20menu%20in%20xfce.png
>
> --
> You received this bug notification because you are a member of AIMS,
> which is subscribed to the bug report.
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/1131664
>
> Title:
> The default apps should have standard menubars under Unity
>
> Status in Ayatana Design:
> Fix Committed
> Status in File Roller:
> New
> Status in Mines:
> New
> Status in The Gnome Thumbnail Image Viewer:
> New
> Status in The Rhythmbox Music Management Application:
> New
> Status in "evince" package in Ubuntu:
> Fix Released
> Status in "file-roller" package in Ubuntu:
> Triaged
> Status in "gnome-calculator" package in Ubuntu:
> Fix Released
> Status in "gnome-control-center" package in Ubuntu:
> Fix Released
> Status in "rhythmbox" package in Ubuntu:
> Triaged
>
> Bug description:
> When fixing this bug, also take a look at bug #1130722 at the same
> time if possible.
>
>
> ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
>
> In Raring, the 'Calculator' app should have the following menu items:
>
> === Edit ===
>
> Copy
> Paste
> ---------
> Undo
> Redo
> ---------
> Preferences
> ---------
> Quit
>
> === Mode ===
>
> Basic
> Advanced
> Financial
> Programming
>
> === Help ===
>
> Contents
> About
>
>
> ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
>
> In Raring, the 'System Settings' app should have the following menu
> items:
>
> === Help ===
>
> Contents
> [Optional link to help doc for the currently selected settings panel]
> ---------
> Quit
>
> To manage notifications about this bug go to:
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/ayatana-design/+bug/1131664/+subscriptions
>
> --
> Mailing list: https://launchpad.net/~aims
> Post to : <email address hidden>
> Unsubscribe : https://launchpad.net/~aims
> More help : https://help.launchpad.net/ListHelp
>

--
  .~.
  /V\ Jan Groenewald
 /( )\ www.aims.ac.za
 ^^-^^

Attila Hammer (hammera) wrote :

I experienced same results with GNOME Shell 3.10.3.
I have possibility only keyboard using Ubuntu with screen reader support. Now, how can enable for example the caret navigation support in Evince when I not using Unity?
Caret navigation support need when a blind user want reading a pdf support with Evince the Orca Screen Reader.
Usual, need provide keyboard navigation possibility. Visually impaired users only using keyboard and screen reader support, if entire not seeing the screen, not have possibility ofcourse to using a mouse.

Please don't block other environments the available menubar accessing methods.
Note: if I revert following patches, everithing works fine me with Orca screen reader:
0001-Port-to-GMenuModel-and-add-menu-bar.patch
0002-Remove-gtk_application_set_accels_for_actions.patch

Me suspicious the second patch with keyboard accelerators related. Why need remove keyboard accelerators with menu items and other actions related?

Testcase the actual version, only with keyboard and GNOME Shell:
1. Open a PDF document with Evince. This situation not presenting the screen any menu bar. Expected result: independent the desktop environment if the Evince application is the default application an Ubuntu release, need presenting a menu bar.
2. Press F10 key. Expected result: the GNOME style menu presenting (until the menu bar not awailable with GNOME Shell too).
Actual result: if I using the F10 key, nothing happen, because you removed keyboard accelerators.
3. Try enabling the caret navigation support with F7 key.
Expected result: a message window presenting to you would like enabling the caret navigation support.
If you click Enable button, caret navigation support is enabled.
Actual result: nothing happening.

Please fix this issues.

I now testing what happening when I reverted only the second patch, now Evince package is building my system.

Attila

Attila Hammer (hammera) wrote :

Unfortunately when I revert only the second patch, Evince is not compiled right.

Attila

Sebastien Bacher (seb128) wrote :

@Attila: thanks for the debugging, not need to spend more time on reverting changes though, a fix for the issue is being tested and should be uploaded today

Attila Hammer (hammera) wrote :

Thank you Sebastian your answer.
When the fixed version is awailable both two issues is resolved?
What type menubar will be awailable the fixed version if the current session is GNOME or gnome-classic? the GNOME3 style context menu (similar with Nautilus), or the Unity already presenting main menu bar?
The Evince actions accelerator key combinations will be restored the fixed version?

Attila

Sebastien Bacher (seb128) wrote :

@Attila: the issue with the menu not showing with xfce is going to be fixed, I don't know about the other ones, you should open new bug reports about those, mixing issues on a same tickets is making difficult to have a discussion on specific details

Attila Hammer (hammera) wrote :

Sebastian, I looked now the proposed repository awailable version.
With Orca screen reader I not see a menubar top of the window (I browsed the screen with flat review feature).
Realy not seeing the menubar with GNOME Shell, or the Evince implemented menu bar not a traditional GTK.menubar style menu?
With accelerators related I will be opening an another bug for evince package.

Attila

bluedxca93 (bluedxca93) wrote :

Hi,
I think all gtk3 programs schould use the old gtk3.4-6 like menubar functions . Gnome 3 could easily create an dconf variable wich schould force the program too use gear menus instead of the menubar. Why not an scalable space area in the toolbar which would be 1px transparent normally and show on Gnome 3 shell gear menu's . Where lies the problem?? . Do somebody need an APP-MENU ??? I don`t. It would be better to have an MENUBAR or GAER MENU SETTINGS with MENUBAR as default.

Have patched evince (already posted) file-roller and epiphany to MENUBAR ONLY . Instead of nautilus use nemo . If somebody likes to see the modified sources send me an PM.
regards bluedxca93

Sebastien Bacher (seb128) wrote :

@bluedca93: thanks, maybe you could add your patches to the bug? file-roller got some support for traditionnal menubars upstream, nautilus would be good to patch as well

Denis Washington (dwashington) wrote :

The evince 3.10.3-0ubuntu3 update does indeed cause keyboard shortcuts to not work in non-Unity desktops (more specifically, I tested in GNOME Shell, and even basic shortcuts such as Crtl+O do nothing now.)

Also, it is not possible to leave presentation mode now by simply pressing F5 or Esc. In fact, I found no other way than to close Evince completely without quitting it altogether with Alt+F4.

Attila Hammer (hammera) wrote :

Hi Denis,

I reported specificaly a11y related issues with following report this day morning and wrote for example the CTRL+O keystroke a testcase related:
https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/1277370
My report get inprogress status, so hopefuly developers short time fixing this type issues with keyboard usage related too.
If you would like please subscribe the linked report, and shorter time you notifying when a fix awailable for example the proposed repository for evince related.

Attila

Changed in file-roller (Ubuntu):
status: Triaged → Fix Committed
Launchpad Janitor (janitor) wrote :

This bug was fixed in the package file-roller - 3.10.2.1-0ubuntu3

---------------
file-roller (3.10.2.1-0ubuntu3) trusty; urgency=medium

  * debian/patches/revert_remove_menubar.patch:
    - use a standard menubar like our others softwares (lp: #1131664)
 -- Sebastien Bacher <email address hidden> Thu, 20 Feb 2014 21:39:47 +0100

Changed in file-roller (Ubuntu):
status: Fix Committed → Fix Released

Adding nautilus as well here, so it's easier to track, but the wanted design is defined at bug lp:1130722

Changed in nautilus (Ubuntu):
status: New → Confirmed
Sebastien Bacher (seb128) wrote :

Lars is working on nautilus, assigning to him

Changed in nautilus (Ubuntu):
assignee: nobody → Lars Uebernickel (larsu)
importance: Undecided → High
status: Confirmed → In Progress
Attila Hammer (hammera) wrote :

Have possibility to implementing standard menubar for nautilus, similar with file-roller application related previous doed fix?
The file-roller related menubar restore related fix is fine, wonderful possible handling the menubar with Orca screen reader in GNOME Shell session. Congratulation the new fix for file-roller application.
If I press F10 key in file-roller application, I wonderful seeing keyboard the Archive, Edit, View and help main menues.

Attila

John Lea (johnlea) on 2014-02-26
Changed in ayatana-design:
importance: Medium → Critical
Sebastien Bacher (seb128) wrote :
Changed in nautilus (Ubuntu):
status: In Progress → Fix Released
Changed in rhythmbox (Ubuntu):
assignee: nobody → Lars Uebernickel (larsu)
status: Triaged → In Progress
Changed in rhythmbox (Ubuntu):
status: In Progress → Fix Committed
Launchpad Janitor (janitor) wrote :

This bug was fixed in the package rhythmbox - 3.0.1-1ubuntu11

---------------
rhythmbox (3.0.1-1ubuntu11) trusty; urgency=medium

  [ Iain Lane ]
  * Use dh_autoreconf; drop explicit libtool.m4 patching.

  [ Lars Uebernickel ]
  * Add debian/patches/restore-traditional-menubar.patch
      - add a traditional menu bar on desktops that show it (lp: #1131664)
  * Add debian/patches/make-shuffle-repeat-proper-toggle-actions.patch
      - fixes toggle and repeat actions in the menu
 -- Lars Uebernickel <email address hidden> Fri, 28 Feb 2014 12:02:38 +0100

Changed in rhythmbox (Ubuntu):
status: Fix Committed → Fix Released

Can this happen for Empathy as well?

Have tried three times already to patch epiphany. Ver 3.6 works. 3.11 or
3.8 doesn`t apply the menubar patch, compiles fine. I've perhaps overread
an comment in ephy-window.c i will retry it soon. There must be an
solution. Have already managed to re-add menubar code without compiler
errors. On 3.8 and 3.11. Could someone help ?

2014-03-03 1:57 GMT+01:00 Marcos Vinícius <email address hidden>:

> Can this happen for Empathy as well?
>
> --
> You received this bug notification because you are subscribed to the bug
> report.
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/1131664
>
> Title:
> The default apps should have standard menubars under Unity
>
> Status in Ayatana Design:
> Fix Committed
> Status in File Roller:
> New
> Status in Mines:
> New
> Status in The Gnome Thumbnail Image Viewer:
> New
> Status in The Rhythmbox Music Management Application:
> New
> Status in "evince" package in Ubuntu:
> Fix Released
> Status in "file-roller" package in Ubuntu:
> Fix Released
> Status in "gnome-calculator" package in Ubuntu:
> Fix Released
> Status in "gnome-control-center" package in Ubuntu:
> Fix Released
> Status in "nautilus" package in Ubuntu:
> Fix Released
> Status in "rhythmbox" package in Ubuntu:
> Fix Released
>
> Bug description:
> When fixing this bug, also take a look at bug #1130722 at the same
> time if possible.
>
>
> ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
>
> In Raring, the 'Calculator' app should have the following menu items:
>
> === Edit ===
>
> Copy
> Paste
> ---------
> Undo
> Redo
> ---------
> Preferences
> ---------
> Quit
>
> === Mode ===
>
> Basic
> Advanced
> Financial
> Programming
>
> === Help ===
>
> Contents
> About
>
>
> ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
>
> In Raring, the 'System Settings' app should have the following menu
> items:
>
> === Help ===
>
> Contents
> [Optional link to help doc for the currently selected settings panel]
> ---------
> Quit
>
> To manage notifications about this bug go to:
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/ayatana-design/+bug/1131664/+subscriptions
>

Sebastien Bacher (seb128) wrote :

Setting the gnote one to wishlist, the desktop team doesn't intend to work on that one since it's not part of our default installation, contribution for that are welcome though

Changed in gnote (Ubuntu):
importance: Undecided → Wishlist
status: New → Triaged
To post a comment you must log in.
This report contains Public information  Edit
Everyone can see this information.

Duplicates of this bug

Other bug subscribers

Remote bug watches

Bug watches keep track of this bug in other bug trackers.