Ubuntu

[Hardy] Bluetooth-applet sees BT headset and pairs, does not show under "audio"

Reported by Matthew Tighe on 2008-03-06
20
Affects Status Importance Assigned to Milestone
gnome-bluetooth (Ubuntu)
Undecided
Unassigned

Bug Description

Just like the title says. I can see and pair with the headset, but under "Services" and audio it does not show the headset at all.

tscheckoff (greenstone) wrote :

Same problem here.

USB-BT adapter:

Device: ID 0a5c:2101 Broadcom Corp.
Device Descriptor:
  bLength 18
  bDescriptorType 1
  bcdUSB 2.00
  bDeviceClass 224 Wireless
  bDeviceSubClass 1 Radio Frequency
  bDeviceProtocol 1 Bluetooth
  bMaxPacketSize0 64
  idVendor 0x0a5c Broadcom Corp.
  idProduct 0x2101
  bcdDevice 1.00
  iManufacturer 1 Broadcom Corp
  iProduct 2 BCM92045NMD
  iSerial 0

BT-Headset: Logitech HS02-V05

This is happening to me also with a Samsung headset on two gutsy machines (laptop & desktop). It pairs fine but nothing appears under Audio Service.

On one machine when I first connected, the device was listed and I clicked the Remove button. I was never able to get the device to re-appear in the Audio devices list.

I've tried removing with dpkg -P and reinstalling with --force-all bluez-utils and gnome-bluez and the headset is still listed under "Bonded Devices" so I think some configs might not be totally removed with the uninstall.

The only thing that appears in syslog when the headset connects is this:

Apr 12 14:58:09 steve-laptop NetworkManager: <debug> [1208026689.356148] nm_hal_device_added(): New device added (hal udi is '/org/freedesktop/Hal/devices/usb_device_a12_1_noserial_if0_bluetooth_hci_bluetooth_hci').
Apr 12 14:58:09 steve-laptop hcid[5647]: link_key_request (sba=00:1B:DC:0F:E2:A3, dba=00:02:78:A6:E8:92)

I tried a different headset and both headsets now show up under Audio Devices. I still do not get any audio though. I tried editing the pcm

pcm.bluetooth {
   type bluetooth
   device 00:1A:0E:7B:83:54
}

Skype sees the option for "bluetooth" in audio devices after I do this but when I select it, the sound still comes out of the main device.

There is no option for a bluetooth device in the Mixer (Volume Applet).

Onkar Shinde (onkarshinde) wrote :

@Steve,

The output to the bluetooth headset is managed by gstreamer. Try launching the device selector with command gstreamer-properties. I am not sure if Skype uses gstreamer but most other applications like totem, rhythmbox, ekiga, gnomeradio should use the default devices set in gstreamer preferences.

Stefan (stefan-jentzsch) wrote :

I'm having the same problem. I can see and pair with the headset but don't get an additional audio device created. So I can't really use my headset. It worked fine for me under dapper and feisty.

Hope this is gonna be fixed soon. If I can help by giving additional information, please let me know!

Stefan (stefan-jentzsch) wrote :

BTW, it also worked fine under Gutsy. I'm know running on up-to-date Hardy

hackel (hackel) wrote :

I'm also having a problem with this. Using the bluetooth PCM described by Steve above, I am able to play to my headset with mplayer by manually specifying the alsa device, but am unable to configure either gstreamer or pulseaudio for this device. It DOES show up in bluetooth-applet preferences under "Audio service", but this doesn't seem to do me any good. I know BT+PulseAudio is a Google summer of code project, so that might not work yet, but it should at least work with ALSA. I've tried using gstreamer-preferences and manually setting the sink to:
alsasink device="bluetooth"
but whenever I go back, it resets it to the default alsasink, because the "bluetooth" device does not show up in the list of devices. It will not play with rhythmbox or anything else.

I'm not sure if this is a bug, since I can't tell if it's even -supposed- to work. Documentation on this is very sparse. I certainly hope it will work, but my guess is this should be a feature request.

Daniel T Chen (crimsun) wrote :

Is this symptom still reproducible in 8.10 or 9.04?

Changed in gnome-bluetooth:
status: New → Incomplete
Pedro Villavicencio (pedro) wrote :

We are closing this bug report because it lacks the information we need to investigate the problem, as described in the previous comments. Please reopen it if you can give us the missing information, and don't hesitate to submit bug reports in the future. To reopen the bug report you can click on the current status, under the Status column, and change the Status back to New. Thanks again!.

Changed in gnome-bluetooth:
status: Incomplete → Invalid
Fredrik Wendt (fredrik-wendt) wrote :

This is a workaround that I've been using for quite some time (since Ubuntu 8.04 at least):
Edit the .asoundrc file as described above. (Use hciconfig to get the MAC address if you don't know it.)
Then run
   gconftool -t string -s /system/gstreamer/0.10/default/musicaudiosink "alsasink device=bluetooth"
to get music sent to the bluetooth device. To switch back to whatever is the default, run
   gconftool -t string -s /system/gstreamer/0.10/default/musicaudiosink "autoaudiosink"

To post a comment you must log in.
This report contains Public information  Edit
Everyone can see this information.

Other bug subscribers