Gedit should allow manualy choose encoding

Bug #271705 reported by Ansus on 2008-09-18
30
This bug affects 5 people
Affects Status Importance Assigned to Milestone
gedit
Confirmed
Wishlist
gedit (Ubuntu)
Low
Ubuntu Desktop Bugs

Bug Description

It is frustrating to open a file in Gedit and find that you can not neither edit it nor even read because incorrect encoding (see the screenshot). You even cannot manually select one. To read the text file you have to use your browser instead of text editor.

Ansus (neptunia) wrote :
Sebastien Bacher (seb128) wrote :

thank you for your bug report. what ubuntu version do you use? did you try to changing the encoding in the open dialog, there is a combo listing options

Changed in gedit:
assignee: nobody → desktop-bugs
importance: Undecided → Low
status: New → Incomplete
Ansus (neptunia) wrote :

I use Ubuntu 8.04.

I open the file from an archive located in network, so when I open it with double-clicking or 'browse' there is no encoding selection dialogue. There is auto-detection, but it does not work. When I try to open the file clicking 'open...' menu item and selecting the proper encoding, it opens the file, but does not set the encoding I choose: with any option the result is the same. Only if I save the file on my desktop and open it from menu selecting proper encoding, it opens it properly.

So I have different results when file located in the net and in my desktop: in the first case the encoding chooser does not work and opens the file with default encoding dispite what I chooise.

Ansus (neptunia) wrote :

I also note that I cannot open the file directly from URL because it is in the archive, so I need archive manager to unpack it. So I cannot use 'open..' dialogue to open file fom the network. Only after I opened the file with doule-clicking (with incorrect encoding), then close it and then use 'open..' dialogue which opens the same file probably from cache, but in this case the encoding chooser though exists, does not work and the file is opened in default encoding in any case.

Sebastien Bacher (seb128) wrote :

could you attach an example?
the issue seems to be an upstream one, could you also open the bug on bugzilla.gnome.org?

Ansus (neptunia) on 2008-09-22
Changed in gedit:
status: Incomplete → New
Pedro Villavicencio (pedro) wrote :

did you open a bug upstream? may you tell us the bug number so we can link to it? thanks.

Changed in gedit:
status: New → Incomplete
Ansus (neptunia) wrote :
Changed in gedit:
status: Incomplete → New
Pedro Villavicencio (pedro) wrote :

thanks you, linking the report.

Changed in gedit:
status: New → Triaged
Changed in gedit:
status: Unknown → New
tomolas (tomolas) wrote :

Hi.
I can confirm this and have the same frustrating problem.
My suggestion would be to have there a dialogue box asking you to input the encoding manually when opening a file. This could be maybe done by some plugin or some setting allowing you to use the dialogue when you need to change the encoding manually.
Or use View->Character encoding as other programs have it.

Hope this helps.

Changed in gedit:
importance: Unknown → Medium
Changed in gedit:
status: New → Invalid
papukaija (papukaija) on 2013-05-30
Changed in gedit:
importance: Medium → Unknown
status: Invalid → Unknown
Changed in gedit:
importance: Unknown → Wishlist
status: Unknown → Confirmed
To post a comment you must log in.
This report contains Public information  Edit
Everyone can see this information.

Other bug subscribers

Remote bug watches

Bug watches keep track of this bug in other bug trackers.