guest session doesn't use files in /etc/skel to create new user's home

Bug #296993 reported by Thomas Detoux on 2008-11-11
16
This bug affects 2 people
Affects Status Importance Assigned to Milestone
gdm-guest-session (Baltix)
Undecided
Unassigned
gdm-guest-session (Ubuntu)
Undecided
Unassigned

Bug Description

Binary package hint: gdm-guest-session

Hello,

Further persons in different forums have asked how to customise the guest session. It appears that theses scripts doesn't use the /etc/skel as a skeleton for the new user's home directory.

I have made a little hack to copy the content of the /home/skel directory into the new home folder.

This is my first hack, and I'm not sure I'm doing it right : I don't use any variable for the directory /etc/skel and furthermore we could want to get the guest skel from a different directory (e.g. /etc/skel.guest) to separate normal new users and guests.

And, I don't realy know how to make a good patch, so I'll just add my modified version for the script. My modifications are on lines 45 and 46.

Thanks

Thomas Detoux (detoux) on 2008-11-12
Changed in gdm-guest-session:
status: New → Fix Committed
Thomas Detoux (detoux) wrote :

Here is a *real* patch for my modifications.

Thomas Detoux (detoux) on 2008-11-16
Changed in gdm-guest-session:
status: Fix Committed → Confirmed
David D Lowe (flimm) wrote :

I've applied your patch in revision 23 in my branch.

Thomas Detoux (detoux) wrote :

Thanks David,

But I have bad news, the users of the forum that pointed me the problem told me that my patch didn't work as expected. It doesn't copy the hidden files. As these people wanted to use this hack to copy config files (ie hidden), this doesn't work at all.

To make it copy the right files, I'll had to change the cp line with :

cp -rT /etc/skel/ "$HOME"

Here is a patch against my previous version (ie the one now in your branch if I followed correctly).

David D Lowe (flimm) wrote :

Thanks Thomas, I hadn't noticed this problem. Actually that's not true, I had noticed it but I was too quick to assume it wasn't the script's fault, but the fault of the files I put in /etc/skel
Fix commited in revision 26.
Just out of curiousity, which forum are you referring to?

Hello,

I am refering to the French community ubuntu forum :
http://forum.ubuntu-fr.org/viewtopic.php?id=266881

And, I have found some similar posts on the English community forum.
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=959092

2009/1/2 David D Lowe <email address hidden>

> Thanks Thomas, I hadn't noticed this problem. Actually that's not true, I
> had noticed it but I was too quick to assume it wasn't the script's fault,
> but the fault of the files I put in /etc/skel
> Fix commited in revision 26.
> Just out of curiousity, which forum are you referring to?
>
> --
> guest session doesn't use files in /etc/skel to create new user's home
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/296993
> You received this bug notification because you are a direct subscriber
> of the bug.
>

Launchpad Janitor (janitor) wrote :

This bug was fixed in the package gdm-guest-session - 0.8

---------------
gdm-guest-session (0.8) jaunty; urgency=low

  [ David D Lowe ]
  * Added apparmor dependency. (LP: #310776)
  * /etc/skel is copied to guest's home directory. (LP: #296993)
  * Added guest-prepare.sh script, a script that end users can modify to
    set guest's default settings.
  * Disactivated user-dirs-gtk, jockey-gtk and update-manager services, they
    are redundant for the guest user. (LP: #255557)

  [ Martin Pitt ]
  * Merge guest-prepare.sh back into guest-session-setup.sh, no reason
    to split it in two.

 -- Martin Pitt <email address hidden> Tue, 27 Jan 2009 11:56:26 +0100

Changed in gdm-guest-session:
status: Confirmed → Fix Released
To post a comment you must log in.
This report contains Public information  Edit
Everyone can see this information.

Other bug subscribers