When using unity, the diplomacy and cities menus are not shown.

Bug #743265 reported by John Lenton on 2011-03-26
60
This bug affects 9 people
Affects Status Importance Assigned to Milestone
AppMenu GTK+
Invalid
High
Canonical Desktop Experience Team
Freeciv
Unknown
Unknown
appmenu-gtk (Ubuntu)
High
Canonical Desktop Experience Team
Natty
Undecided
Unassigned
freeciv (Ubuntu)
Undecided
Unassigned
Natty
Undecided
Unassigned
gtk+2.0 (Ubuntu)
Undecided
Unassigned
Natty
Undecided
Unassigned
gtk+3.0 (Ubuntu)
Undecided
Unassigned
Natty
Undecided
Unassigned

Bug Description

In freeciv there is a menu below the cities display (F4, Civilization -> Cities). The menu disappears if you're using unity.

== Ubuntu SRU Justification ==

The game is nigh unplayable if you cannot have access to Diplomacy and Cities menu. Everyone using GTK+ Freeciv in Unity is affected by this.

Reproduction steps:
 1) Open Freeciv
 2) Start a random scenario
 3) Go to Civilization->Cities in the main menu
 4) You'll see near the bottom of the Cities pane is an empty spot where a menu should be.

I've uploaded a patch to oneiric and natty-proposed that disables global menus entirely. Please test!

cmat (cmat555) wrote :

This problem is also evident in the diplomacy display. Only occurs when using Unity.

Xavier Bassery (xaba) on 2011-04-24
Changed in freeciv (Ubuntu):
status: New → Confirmed
Xavier Bassery (xaba) wrote :

Here are some screenshots.

Xavier Bassery (xaba) wrote :
Xavier Bassery (xaba) wrote :
Xavier Bassery (xaba) wrote :

The source file that creates the widget for the city screen is :
client/gui-gtk-2.0/cityrep.c (function create_city_report_menubar(void) )
The source file for the diplomacy screen is :
client/gui-gtk-2.0/diplodlg.c (function create_diplomacy_dialog(struct player *plr0, struct player *plr1) )

In both cases, the widgets are menuitems of a menubar.
But in Unity, application menus are moved to the indicator application menu.
I guess this is the reason why those unusually located menus disappear.

Ballenato (ballenato) wrote :

As a workaround, run Freeciv with AppMenu (global menu) disabled. Type in the terminal: "UBUNTU_MENUPROXY= freeciv" (no quotes and a whitespace after '='). So the bug is some kind of incompatibility with AppMenu.

Jacob Nevins (0jacobnk-ulp) wrote :

This is rather bad! Is there anything Freeciv can do to allow Unity to steal the "top" menu bar but not the embedded one? (Apart from not using a menu bar at all, obviously.)

Jacob Nevins (0jacobnk-ulp) wrote :

I tried this out with a local build of freeciv-gtk2 (2.3.x code) on Ubuntu 10.10 (netbook edition) running Unity. It's worse than I thought: the normal in-game menu bar[*] doesn't seem to be accessible in any circumstances. This makes the game unplayable, IMO.

[*] by which I mean Game/Edit/View/Select/Unit/Work/Combat/Civilization/Help

(If I bring up the Cities report, then the menubar at the top of the screen becomes the one that should be embedded in the report -- Production/Governor/etc. Not sure if the original reporter sees this too?)

I haven't tried newer, all-Unity versions of Ubuntu. Does the menubar-stealing affect desktop use as well as netbook use? i.e., does this make Freeciv unplayable on the default install of Ubuntu Natty?

Is there any kind of programmer's reference or other documentation that will tell us how to make Freeciv's use of menubars compatible with this environment? Or is it a bug that needs fixing in the Unity stuff?

tags: added: app-menu
Jacob Nevins (0jacobnk-ulp) wrote :
Download full text (4.7 KiB)

I ran Natty (11.04) off a LiveCD with Unity and experimented with the packaged Freeciv (2.2.4).

It's not as bad as my experience with Maverick in comment #9. The main game menu bar was always accessible in the appmenu area, regardless of whether I had one of the other tabs with menubars open or not. (Note that the menu bar doesn't show until you mouse over it's area or press F10 -- it doesn't seem very discoverable -- but that seems to be by design and other apps behave the same.) Otherwise the experience was the same as reported by Xavier Bassery. Unlike Maverick, the non-main menubars never appeared in the

I've been advised that the appmenu implementation changed significantly between Maverick and Natty, so I'm going to ignore the Maverick behaviour for now and focus on Natty.

Still, it's sufficient to make the game unplayable. The following are items I've noticed that are not accessible in Unity:
* Main window, Nations tab: Diplomacy/Intelligence/Display/AI menubar.
** This is particularly serious, as this Diplomacy menu is the only way to initiate and break treaties with other nations.
** Various new users have complained to us (upstream) and in forums that they can't work out how to do diplomacy with other nations. I saw such a complaint in the Ubuntu Software Center reviews when I was doing this test. I wonder if this Ubuntu-specific issue is the root cause of these reports?
* Diplomacy dialog, "Add Clause..." buttons.
** You can see this despite the previous issue, when other nations (such as AI) initiate diplomacy with you.
* Main window, Cities tab: Production/Governor/Sell/Select/Display.
* City dialog, Production tab: "Add Global Worklist".

Trying to diagnose the issue:

My understanding of this app-menu-hiding-thing is that there are three important components (correct me if wrong):
* appmenu-gtk, which hooks into individual Gtk applications (via the environment variable UBUNTU_MENUPROXY=libappmenu.so), finds out what menubars exist, and suppresses their display in the local application;
* indicator-appmenu, which is the global widget that lives on the top of the desktop and displays the menu instead;
* dbusmenu, which is the conduit for information about the menus; appmenu-gtk (and other proxies) write to it, indicator-appmenu reads from it.

I'm not finding a lot of documentation of all this infrastructure, however (grumble). I've been pointed to a few morsels of information about debugging this stuff at https://wiki.ubuntu.com/DesktopExperienceTeam/ApplicationMenu .

I tried the "dbusmenu-dumper" diagnostic step described there. But the JSON output only ever contained items from Freeciv's main game menu, regardless of whether secondary menubars were trying to be displayed. (I've got a copy if it's of interest.) I'm not sure what this is telling me, but what I see in the file seems to correspond to what indicator-appmenu is displaying, and doesn't give me any clues as to the whereabouts of my missing menubars, so it doesn't seem very interesting.

Other diagnostics:
* "UBUNTU_MENUPROXY= freeciv" behaves as per comment #7, but is a bit of a sledgehammer.
* "APPMENU_DISPLAY_BOTH=1 freeciv" behaves as expected for the main menu...

Read more...

Jacob Nevins (0jacobnk-ulp) wrote :

A little more progress, but still not there yet.

A piece of the jigsaw I was missing was Ubuntu's modifications to the Gtk library itself, "043_ubuntu_menu_proxy.patch". Diff: http://bazaar.launchpad.net/~ubuntu-branches/ubuntu/oneiric/gtk+2.0/oneiric/view/head:/debian/patches/043_ubuntu_menu_proxy.patch

Reading that reveals that GtkMenuBar now has an "ubuntu-local" property. If I set that:

  menubar = gtk_menu_bar_new();
  g_object_set(GTK_WIDGET(menubar), "ubuntu-local", 1, NULL);

-- then the menu bar is visible. Success, I thought. However, when I click on certain menus, the menu appears but the menubar disappears, never to return. Other menus on the same menubar are fine.

I tried this with the Nations and Cities report menubars (plrdlg.c and cityrep.c respectively).
On the Nations report, the Diplomacy/Intelligence/Display menus were fine, but the AI menu was bad.
On the Cities report, only the Display menu was fine; all of the Production/Governor/Sell/Select menus were bad.

I'm guessing the badness is something to do with menus that are dynamically constructed somehow (the "ok" menus have relatively static content).

In the above diff, there seems to be something going on with an "ubuntu-local" property of GtkMenuShell as well as GtkMenuBar, but I haven't worked out whether that's something I can/should be putting to use. It looks kind of like internal plumbing, since it's set internally.

In other news, I posted to ayatana-dev[*] about this issue a few days ago, but got no useful feedback yet.

[*] https://lists.launchpad.net/ayatana/msg06176.html

affects: indicator-appmenu (Ubuntu) → libdbusmenu (Ubuntu)
Changed in libdbusmenu (Ubuntu):
assignee: nobody → Canonical Desktop Experience Team (canonical-dx-team)
importance: Undecided → High
affects: indicator-appmenu → dbusmenu
Changed in dbusmenu:
assignee: nobody → Canonical Desktop Experience Team (canonical-dx-team)
importance: Undecided → High
Michael Terry (mterry) wrote :

Jacob, you're analysis in comment #10 is accurate. Your comments about "ubuntu-local" in comment #11 is what I was going to suggest as a workaround, but it's interesting that it didn't quite work as you expected.

I'm going to be looking into this too. I have a bit of experience with the guts of libdbusmenu and friends. Maybe I can see why ubuntu-local isn't doing what you expect.

Jacob Nevins (0jacobnk-ulp) wrote :

@Michael: thanks. If you need to know anything about Freeciv's peculiarities, let me know.

In the meantime, can the package maintainer get the "UBUNTU_MENUPROXY= freeciv" workaround or similar into the package? We're still getting reports from frustrated Ubuntu users who can't do diplomacy.

Ted Gould (ted) on 2011-07-15
affects: libdbusmenu (Ubuntu) → appmenu-gtk (Ubuntu)
affects: dbusmenu → appmenu-gtk
Changed in appmenu-gtk:
status: New → Triaged
Changed in appmenu-gtk (Ubuntu):
status: New → Triaged
KarlGoetz (kgoetz) wrote :

Hi jacob,
Are you after a fix for the released ubuntus?

I can't see a way through launchpad to link this, so i'll do it here:

Freeciv versions affected:

http://packages.ubuntu.com/maverick/freeciv-client-gtk -> 2.2.1
http://packages.ubuntu.com/natty/freeciv-client-gtk -> 2.2.4
http://packages.ubuntu.com/oneiric/freeciv-client-gtk -> 2.2.4 (presumably affected, i've not tested)
We have 2.2.5 packaged in git, but I was holding off on 2.3 for a new upload (don't know if this is a sane idea or not tbh).

we can do up a patch and get it added to the ubuntu packages, but i dont think it'll be a trivial fix. we would have to replace the freeciv binary with a wrapper script, or force people to use a .desktop file (i assume these can export environment pre launch).

Additionally, does anyone know if SDL and XAW3D clients are affected, or if its just GTK?

thanks,
kk

Jacob Nevins (0jacobnk-ulp) wrote :

@Karl:
> Are you after a fix for the released ubuntus?

If it's possible to get it in as an SRU, that would be ideal. It is a "severe regression from the previous release of Ubuntu" (severe for Freeciv, not for the whole system). It affects "an application rather than critical infrastructure packages", although it's less clear that the patch will be "obviously safe".

As upstream, I'd love to not have to keep pointing people at this bug and the workaround (and get bad reviews in Software Centre because of it).

It's most critical for Natty, where Unity is the default on the desktop. On Maverick I think it only affects the netbook edition by default (but we know people play Freeciv on netbooks). Fortunately, the workaround should be version-agnostic.

However, if an SRU isn't possible, at a minimum, I think we should plan to get the workaround in Oneiric, in case we haven't worked out a proper fix by then. (Assuming it's not already too late to get a new version in Oneiric!)

> We have 2.2.5 packaged in git, but I was holding off on 2.3 for a new upload (don't know if this is a sane idea or not tbh).

Not sure. We're hoping 2.3.0 will go gold RSN (RC1 this weekend), but we've thought that before ;) It mainly depends when the window closes for Oneiric, I think.

If 2.3.0 slips, I recommend you go to 2.2.7 (not yet released, also due RSN, but with higher confidence). I wouldn't bother with 2.2.6; while it has valuable fixes, it also has an embarrassing regression. (As does 2.2.5, actually.)

> we would have to replace the freeciv binary with a wrapper script, or force people to use a .desktop file

I think the .desktop fix would catch >90% of users, but a wrapper script would be better, obviously.

> (i assume these can export environment pre launch).

Should be able to change "Exec=freeciv-gtk2" to "Exec=env UBUNTU_MENUPROXY= freeciv-gtk", or something like that, I'd expect. (Warning: completely unchecked.)

> Additionally, does anyone know if SDL and XAW3D clients are affected, or if its just GTK?

I wouldn't expect SDL to be affected, since it draws its own widgets with custom code, and appmenu won't be able to hook into it. Don't know about Xaw, and can't conveniently check right now (but I wouldn't hold up a Gtk patch for lack of an Xaw patch, personally).

Jacob Nevins (0jacobnk-ulp) wrote :

(BTW, can someone with privileges rename this bug to "when using unity, the diplomacy and cities menus are not shown", so that it's easier to find? The lack of diplomacy is by far the most severe consequence of this bug, I think.)

KarlGoetz (kgoetz) wrote :

On Sat, 16 Jul 2011 13:55:39 -0000
Jacob Nevins <email address hidden> wrote:

> (BTW, can someone with privileges rename this bug to "when using
> unity, the diplomacy and cities menus are not shown", so that it's
> easier to find? The lack of diplomacy is by far the most severe
> consequence of this bug, I think.)
>

*waves magic wand*
all done :)
kk

--
Karl Goetz, (Kamping_Kaiser / VK5FOSS)
Debian contributor / gNewSense Maintainer
http://www.kgoetz.id.au
No, I won't join your social networking group

summary: - when using unity, the cities menu is not shown
+ When using unity, the diplomacy and cities menus are not shown.
Download full text (3.6 KiB)

On Sat, 16 Jul 2011 13:55:33 -0000
Jacob Nevins <email address hidden> wrote:

> @Karl:
> > Are you after a fix for the released ubuntus?
>
> If it's possible to get it in as an SRU, that would be ideal. It is a
> "severe regression from the previous release of Ubuntu" (severe for
> Freeciv, not for the whole system). It affects "an application rather
> than critical infrastructure packages", although it's less clear that
> the patch will be "obviously safe".

I expect we could make it safe enough, but i'll have to find out from
someone in ubuntu who can be authoritive :)

> As upstream, I'd love to not have to keep pointing people at this bug
> and the workaround (and get bad reviews in Software Centre because of
> it).

I can understand that.

> It's most critical for Natty, where Unity is the default on the
> desktop. On Maverick I think it only affects the netbook edition by
> default (but we know people play Freeciv on netbooks). Fortunately,
> the workaround should be version-agnostic.

ok. so we might need up to 3 versions patched specially for ubuntu in
that case.

> However, if an SRU isn't possible, at a minimum, I think we should
> plan to get the workaround in Oneiric, in case we haven't worked out
> a proper fix by then. (Assuming it's not already too late to get a
> new version in Oneiric!)

I expect we could get in a patch/wrapper still.

> > We have 2.2.5 packaged in git, but I was holding off on 2.3 for a
> > new
> upload (don't know if this is a sane idea or not tbh).
>
> Not sure. We're hoping 2.3.0 will go gold RSN (RC1 this weekend), but
> we've thought that before ;) It mainly depends when the window closes
> for Oneiric, I think.

Debian import freeze has passed, so i suspect it would be harder to go
up a full new version at this stage.

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/OneiricReleaseSchedule

> If 2.3.0 slips, I recommend you go to 2.2.7 (not yet released, also
> due RSN, but with higher confidence). I wouldn't bother with 2.2.6;
> while it has valuable fixes, it also has an embarrassing regression.
> (As does 2.2.5, actually.)

guess we dodged a bullet by not releasing 2.2.5 then (I didn't know
2.2.6 was out yet, i rely on the /topic and people of #freeciv on
freenode for that sort of news).

> > we would have to replace the freeciv binary with a wrapper script,
> > or force people to use a .desktop file
>
> I think the .desktop fix would catch >90% of users, but a wrapper
> script would be better, obviously.

We could include a wrapper going forward, but how long would it be used
for? I hope these UI regressions are nailed down pretty quick. Either
way, i'll write one up later (it should be trivial) and attach it here.

> > (i assume these can export environment pre launch).
>
> Should be able to change "Exec=freeciv-gtk2" to "Exec=env
> UBUNTU_MENUPROXY= freeciv-gtk", or something like that, I'd expect.
> (Warning: completely unchecked.)

Validates ok, don't have ubuntu installed anyware to test yet.
$ desktop-file-validate z.freeciv.desktop
$ grep Exec $_ Exec=env
UBUNTU_MENUPROXY=freeciv-gtk2

> > Additionally, does anyone know if SDL and XAW3D clients are
> > affected,
> or if its just GTK?
>
> I wouldn't expect...

Read more...

Jacob Nevins (0jacobnk-ulp) wrote :

Thanks. (It looks like I could have done that myself, actually, I just failed to understand Launchpad. Live and learn.)

> If 2.3.0 slips, I recommend you go to 2.2.7 (not yet released, also due RSN, but with higher confidence)

2.2.7 tarball is available now ;)

On Sat, 16 Jul 2011 23:46:00 -0000
Jacob Nevins <email address hidden> wrote:

> Thanks. (It looks like I could have done that myself, actually, I just
> failed to understand Launchpad. Live and learn.)
>
> > If 2.3.0 slips, I recommend you go to 2.2.7 (not yet released, also
> due RSN, but with higher confidence)
>
> 2.2.7 tarball is available now ;)

I'll update our packaging :)
kk

--
Karl Goetz, (Kamping_Kaiser / VK5FOSS)
Debian contributor / gNewSense Maintainer
http://www.kgoetz.id.au
No, I won't join your social networking group

KarlGoetz (kgoetz) wrote :

with luck, it will build for natty and appear here.

https://launchpad.net/~pkg-games/+archive/ppa/+packages

please try it and let me know if it works - i've not had a chance to test run it yet.

Michael Terry (mterry) wrote :

As an alternative to patching the Exec line, appmenu-gtk has an internal blacklist. If it's easier, we could solve 11.04's problem with an SRU to appmenu-gtk as well.

I looked into why ubuntu-local didn't work like you expected. I think I'll have a patch shortly. It was because appmenu-gtk has a bug that causes it to overwrite ubuntu-local sometimes.

With this fix in place (in time for 11.10), you should be able to use ubuntu-local upstream. If you do, you probably want to guard setting it with something like:

if (g_object_class_find_property (G_OBJECT_CLASS(GTK_MENU_BAR_GET_CLASS(menubar)), "ubuntu-local"))
  g_object_set(G_OBJECT(menubar), "ubuntu-local", TRUE, NULL);

Launchpad Janitor (janitor) wrote :

This bug was fixed in the package freeciv - 2.2.4-1ubuntu1

---------------
freeciv (2.2.4-1ubuntu1) oneiric; urgency=low

  * debian/patches/disable_global_menu.patch:
    - Disable global menu to workaround bug with non-main menu bars.
      LP: #743265
 -- Michael Terry <email address hidden> Tue, 19 Jul 2011 15:29:00 -0400

Changed in freeciv (Ubuntu):
status: Confirmed → Fix Released
Michael Terry (mterry) wrote :

So here's what I've done so far:
 * In 11.10, this is fixed by disabling the global menu altogether.
 * In 11.04, there is a fix in the pipeline that also disables the global menu altogether.
 * For 11.10, I'm going to upload fixed gtk packages that will let ubuntu-local work as expected again.
 * If and when upstream Freeciv uses ubuntu-local, we can drop the big-hammer approach of disabling global menus.

description: updated
Changed in appmenu-gtk (Ubuntu):
status: Triaged → Invalid
Changed in appmenu-gtk (Ubuntu Natty):
status: New → Invalid
Changed in appmenu-gtk:
status: Triaged → Invalid
Changed in gtk+2.0 (Ubuntu Natty):
status: New → Invalid
Changed in gtk+3.0 (Ubuntu Natty):
status: New → Invalid
Jacob Nevins (0jacobnk-ulp) wrote :

@Karl: I tried your 2.2.7 PPA freeciv-client-gtk package on my Natty live CD, and when launched from the start-menu-equivalent it correctly disabled the global menu, and the diplomacy UI was accessible. When launched as "freeciv" or "freeciv-gtk2" from the command-line, global menu was used; it looks like you used the .desktop fix, so that's expected. It otherwise seemed to work as far as I tested it (which wasn't very far).

However, it looks like the .desktop Unity workaround will be superseded by Michael's work.

@Michael: thanks for dealing with this and for pushing through an SRU. I can try out the Natty package on my Natty CD when it's available.

Can you review my patch using "ubuntu-local", when it's available (hopefully soon)? I want to be sure I'm using it as intended.

As regards an upstream release, I did wonder whether it should be an Ubuntu-specific patch, but on reflection, it's small and harmless enough, so we may as well bung it in upstream (with copious comments); that way people rolling their own Freeciv on Ubuntu will benefit.

However, it seems quite likely that we won't release another 2.2.x in the Oneiric timeframe, and any patch almost certainly won't go in 2.3.0 either (unless something else goes wrong with the RC). So it'll probably be necessary for you to apply the patch in your packaging. I'll make sure that clean patches against both 2.2.7 and 2.3.0 are available, so that you have the choice of which version to put in Oneiric. The patch can be removed for Predictable Penguin :)

Jacob Nevins (0jacobnk-ulp) wrote :

@Michael: harking back to my comment #10, can you explain the observation that gtk/appmenu suppress all the menubars but only one of them reappears in the "dbusmenu-dumper" output? It seems a bit bogus that menubars can be "lost" in this way. Is some part of the system somehow distinguishing "main" from "subsidiary" menu bars (in which case "ubuntu-local" feels unnecessary)? Or is it just latching onto the first menubar it sees and ignoring the rest?

Michael Terry (mterry) wrote :

Jacob, sounds good re: comment 25. I can review a patch for correctness and apply it to our packaging for Oneiric.

re: comment 26 and lost menubars... it's complicated. Because GTK+ doesn't have the notion of a 'main menubar' that apps can set, appmenu-gtk must act as if every one it finds is potentially valid. This is partly because some apps do crazy things (like shotwell keeps a separate menubar around for each of its views and reparents them as needed).

It's possible that we could do something smarter. Since the freeciv main menu bar is still visible and has a valid parent, we could ignore new menubars, except we'd probably hit an app that tries to swap out menu bars and happens to add a new one before getting rid of the old one. So we'd have to delay our determination of whether we should ignore it until the idle loop... So now this is sounding complicated again.

The current code is so ham-fisted in part to try and catch all the corner cases. And we have 'ubuntu-local' as an escape hatch for the other corner case of non-main menubars.

Jacob Nevins (0jacobnk-ulp) wrote :

Proposed patches now attached to upstream bug report. Here's the patch for the stable branches: http://gna.org/bugs/download.php?file_id=13612

(Upstream we're working on a Gtk3 version of the client. I assume the workaround will be essentially the same?)

Re comment 27: OK, so there is no magic way for you to tell which is the "main" menu bar, so you're relying on heuristics, which don't always work. Fair enough, just wanted to check I wasn't missing anything.

KarlGoetz (kgoetz) wrote :

On Tue, 19 Jul 2011 20:51:48 -0000
Jacob Nevins <email address hidden> wrote:

> @Karl: I tried your 2.2.7 PPA freeciv-client-gtk package on my Natty
> live CD, and when launched from the start-menu-equivalent it correctly
> disabled the global menu, and the diplomacy UI was accessible. When
> launched as "freeciv" or "freeciv-gtk2" from the command-line, global
> menu was used; it looks like you used the .desktop fix, so that's
> expected. It otherwise seemed to work as far as I tested it (which
> wasn't very far).

Thats good to hear.

> However, it looks like the .desktop Unity workaround will be
> superseded by Michael's work.

Seems so, would have been good to know someone else was working on it;
could have spent the afternoon doing something else.

[...]

> However, it seems quite likely that we won't release another 2.2.x in
> the Oneiric timeframe, and any patch almost certainly won't go in
> 2.3.0 either (unless something else goes wrong with the RC). So it'll
> probably be necessary for you to apply the patch in your packaging.

We haven't released 2.2.7 in debian yet, if the patch that Michael
wrote applies cleanly to that we could include it.

> I'll make sure that clean patches against both 2.2.7 and 2.3.0 are
> available, so that you have the choice of which version to put in
> Oneiric. The patch can be removed for Predictable Penguin :)

hopefully 2.2.7 can still make it into oneiric by sync request, so let
me know if you'd like us to get it uploaded.
thanks,
kk

--
Karl Goetz, (Kamping_Kaiser / VK5FOSS)
Debian contributor / gNewSense Maintainer
http://www.kgoetz.id.au
No, I won't join your social networking group

Jacob Nevins (0jacobnk-ulp) wrote :

> We haven't released 2.2.7 in debian yet, if the patch that Michael
> wrote applies cleanly to that we could include it.
Hopefully we shouldn't need Michael's Freeciv disable-global-menu patch for a new version, as my patch + his Gtk fix should make it all play nicely for Oneiric.

> hopefully 2.2.7 can still make it into oneiric by sync request, so let
> me know if you'd like us to get it uploaded.
I'd definitely recommend trying to get 2.2.7 into Oneiric (assuming you don't try for 2.3.0), regardless of what happens with this Unity business. Some nasty bugs fixed since 2.2.4 (and hopefully not too many new ones).

KarlGoetz (kgoetz) wrote :

On Wed, 20 Jul 2011 00:37:06 -0000
Jacob Nevins <email address hidden> wrote:

> > We haven't released 2.2.7 in debian yet, if the patch that Michael
> > wrote applies cleanly to that we could include it.
> Hopefully we shouldn't need Michael's Freeciv disable-global-menu
> patch for a new version, as my patch + his Gtk fix should make it all
> play nicely for Oneiric.

I'm not sure what you mean. If i release 2.2.7-1, will ubuntu be
tacking more changes onto it or not?
thanks,
kk

--
Karl Goetz, (Kamping_Kaiser / VK5FOSS)
Debian contributor / gNewSense Maintainer
http://www.kgoetz.id.au
No, I won't join your social networking group

Chris Halse Rogers (raof) wrote :

SRU team ack. Please accept into natty-proposed.

Hello John, or anyone else affected,

Accepted freeciv into natty-proposed, the package will build now and be available in a few hours. Please test and give feedback here. See https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Testing/EnableProposed for documentation how to enable and use -proposed. Thank you in advance!

Changed in freeciv (Ubuntu Natty):
status: New → Fix Committed
tags: added: verification-needed
Michael Terry (mterry) wrote :

Yeah, sorry Karl, I was going to just use yours, but then I realized the problem with people launching from the command line. So I did something different that would work regardless of how it was launched.

Regarding patching 2.2.7-1, I suspect we will patch it to include Jacob's patch for ubuntu-local (and drop my patch that disabled global menus completely).

Launchpad Janitor (janitor) wrote :

This bug was fixed in the package gtk+3.0 - 3.1.8-0ubuntu5

---------------
gtk+3.0 (3.1.8-0ubuntu5) oneiric; urgency=low

  * debian/patches/043_ubuntu_menu_proxy.patch:
    - Don't overwrite 'ubuntu-local' property when 'show-local' changes.
      LP: #743265
 -- Michael Terry <email address hidden> Wed, 20 Jul 2011 10:44:29 -0400

Changed in gtk+3.0 (Ubuntu):
status: New → Fix Released
Launchpad Janitor (janitor) wrote :

This bug was fixed in the package gtk+2.0 - 2.24.5-0ubuntu6

---------------
gtk+2.0 (2.24.5-0ubuntu6) oneiric; urgency=low

  * debian/patches/043_ubuntu_menu_proxy.patch:
    - Don't overwrite 'ubuntu-local' property when 'show-local' changes.
      LP: #743265
 -- Michael Terry <email address hidden> Wed, 20 Jul 2011 12:31:52 -0400

Changed in gtk+2.0 (Ubuntu):
status: New → Fix Released
Michael Terry (mterry) wrote :

Jacob, your patch looks fine to me!

Couple things:
 1) Could you test my package in natty-proposed and report back? We need verification before it can go out to users.

 2) In Oneiric (and in Natty with a backported GTK+ 2.0/GLib), freeciv does not work even a little bit. The buttons in the main menu (new game, load save, etc) don't do anything when you click on them. I don't think that's related to this bug, but seems to be related to the new GLib/GTK+. Just FYI

Jacob Nevins (0jacobnk-ulp) wrote :

> 1) Could you test my package in natty-proposed and report back? We need
> verification before it can go out to users.
I tried installing freeciv-client-gtk 2.2.4-1ubuntu0.1 on my Natty live CD and (a) the global menu was correctly suppressed (launched from menus or command line, (b) I didn't see any regressions as far as I tested it (only a few minutes). I also sanity checked freeciv-server, freeciv-client-sdl, and freeciv-client-xaw. (To answer Karl's earlier question: I didn't see any menubar trouble with freeciv-xaw; I know this is a patched version, but I checked and Michael's patch only affects the Gtk client. In any case, freeciv-xaw is unfortunately broken in other ways.)
I installed by enabling universe and -proposed and installing the new package from clean, on the grounds that others are more likely to test the upgrade.

> 2) In Oneiric (and in Natty with a backported GTK+ 2.0/GLib), freeciv
> does not work even a little bit. [...]
Oh dear! The symptom does not sound familiar. I'm not in a position to conveniently help track this down.

On Wed, 20 Jul 2011 12:13:47 -0000
Michael Terry <email address hidden> wrote:

> Yeah, sorry Karl, I was going to just use yours, but then I realized
> the problem with people launching from the command line. So I did
> something different that would work regardless of how it was launched.

I guess thats understandable.

> Regarding patching 2.2.7-1, I suspect we will patch it to include
> Jacob's patch for ubuntu-local (and drop my patch that disabled global
> menus completely).

who is we? if its ubuntu, why are you deliberately trying to carry a
delta on this package; will it break freeciv on other systems?
thanks,
kk

--
Karl Goetz, (Kamping_Kaiser / VK5FOSS)
Debian contributor / gNewSense Maintainer
http://www.kgoetz.id.au
No, I won't join your social networking group

On Wed, 20 Jul 2011 05:52:58 -0000, Martin Pitt <email address hidden> wrote:
> Hello John, or anyone else affected,

I'm in oneiric now, so I can't really test -- freeciv-gtk2
(freeciv-client-gtk 2.2.4-1ubuntu1) seems to be too broken right now. I
haven't really had time to figure out why.

Sorry!

Michael Terry (mterry) on 2011-07-21
tags: added: verification-done
removed: verification-needed
Michael Terry (mterry) wrote :

Thanks for the verification, Jacob. I've tagged the bug as verified.

> who is we? if its ubuntu, why are you deliberately trying to carry a
> delta on this package; will it break freeciv on other systems?

I did mean Ubuntu, but no, I hate deltas! I love nothing better than running 'requestsync'. :)

I just wasn't sure if you/Debian were interested in adding an Ubuntu-specific workaround. So I was saying that if the patch wasn't in Debian, we would add it.

It shouldn't break freeciv on other systems, because Jacob's patch (http://gna.org/bugs/download.php?file_id=13612) checks whether 'ubuntu-local' is a supported property before using it. If you're willing to add that to the freeciv packaging next time you update it in Debian, I can sync us back to your version. And hopefully it will land upstream too.

On Thu, 21 Jul 2011 01:11:16 -0000
Michael Terry <email address hidden> wrote:

> Thanks for the verification, Jacob. I've tagged the bug as verified.
>
> > who is we? if its ubuntu, why are you deliberately trying to carry a
> > delta on this package; will it break freeciv on other systems?
>
> I did mean Ubuntu, but no, I hate deltas! I love nothing better than
> running 'requestsync'. :)
>
> I just wasn't sure if you/Debian were interested in adding an Ubuntu-
> specific workaround. So I was saying that if the patch wasn't in
> Debian, we would add it.

If it won't break anything (which seems to be the case) we're happy to
include it.

> It shouldn't break freeciv on other systems, because Jacob's patch
> (http://gna.org/bugs/download.php?file_id=13612) checks whether
> 'ubuntu- local' is a supported property before using it. If you're
> willing to add that to the freeciv packaging next time you update it
> in Debian, I can sync us back to your version. And hopefully it will
> land upstream too.

I had a problem with this applying in our 2.2.7, but i'll have another
go at it later and see if i can work out what (i) broke.
thanks,
kk

--
Karl Goetz, (Kamping_Kaiser / VK5FOSS)
Debian contributor / gNewSense Maintainer
http://www.kgoetz.id.au
No, I won't join your social networking group

KarlGoetz (kgoetz) wrote :

On Thu, 21 Jul 2011 01:11:16 -0000
Michael Terry <email address hidden> wrote:

> Thanks for the verification, Jacob. I've tagged the bug as verified.
>
> > who is we? if its ubuntu, why are you deliberately trying to carry a
> > delta on this package; will it break freeciv on other systems?
>
> I did mean Ubuntu, but no, I hate deltas! I love nothing better than
> running 'requestsync'. :)
>
> I just wasn't sure if you/Debian were interested in adding an Ubuntu-
> specific workaround. So I was saying that if the patch wasn't in
> Debian, we would add it.

For the record, the packaging (should be) complete and at [1], but i
can't upload it. I've asked for a review of it, and I'll get back to
you if/when i find out more :)
thanks,
kk

[1] http://anonscm.debian.org/gitweb/?p=pkg-games/freeciv.git;a=summary

--
Karl Goetz, (Kamping_Kaiser / VK5FOSS)
Debian contributor / gNewSense Maintainer
http://www.kgoetz.id.au
No, I won't join your social networking group

KarlGoetz (kgoetz) wrote :

On Sun, 24 Jul 2011 10:36:04 +1000
Karl Goetz <email address hidden> wrote:

> On Thu, 21 Jul 2011 01:11:16 -0000
> Michael Terry <email address hidden> wrote:

> > I did mean Ubuntu, but no, I hate deltas! I love nothing better
> > than running 'requestsync'. :)

Update: 2.2.7 is available in unstable:
http://packages.qa.debian.org/f/freeciv.html
thanks,
kk

--
Karl Goetz, (Kamping_Kaiser / VK5FOSS)
Debian contributor / gNewSense Maintainer
http://www.kgoetz.id.au
No, I won't join your social networking group

KarlGoetz (kgoetz) wrote :

Bug reporter/ anyone else who was affected:

Please test 2.2.7 which has just been synced in (ref bug 816960) and let us know if the bug is resolved.

thanks,
kk

Launchpad Janitor (janitor) wrote :

This bug was fixed in the package freeciv - 2.2.4-1ubuntu0.1

---------------
freeciv (2.2.4-1ubuntu0.1) natty-proposed; urgency=low

  * debian/patches/disable_global_menu.patch:
    - Disable global menu to workaround bug with non-main menu bars.
      LP: #743265
 -- Michael Terry <email address hidden> Tue, 19 Jul 2011 15:32:46 -0400

Changed in freeciv (Ubuntu Natty):
status: Fix Committed → Fix Released
description: updated
To post a comment you must log in.
This report contains Public information  Edit
Everyone can see this information.

Duplicates of this bug

Other bug subscribers

Remote bug watches

Bug watches keep track of this bug in other bug trackers.