Ubuntu

2 firefox zombie processes after startup

Reported by sefs on 2008-05-08
4
Affects Status Importance Assigned to Milestone
firefox-3.0 (Ubuntu)
Undecided
Unassigned
firefox (Ubuntu)
Undecided
Unassigned

Bug Description

I am on hardy.

After starting my machine. And looking into my system monitor, i constantly see two zombie firefox process. I am unable to get rid of them. they are always there whether I use firefox or not. This behaviour occurs only after moving to hardy heron.

sefs (sefsinc) wrote :
Nick Ellery (nick.ellery) wrote :

Does this occur before you open up firefox?

sefs (sefsinc) wrote :

Nope. It occurs before I open firefox. I can just boot up. And the first thing i would do is go into System monitor, and there they are sitting there. And I have not even ran a program as yet. Any program.

sefs (sefsinc) wrote :

Correction...yes, I mean it occurs before I run firefox.

On Thu, May 08, 2008 at 02:04:13PM -0000, Launchpad Bug Tracker wrote:
> You have been subscribed to a public bug:
>
> I am on hardy.
>
> After starting my machine. And looking into my system monitor, i
> constantly see two zombie firefox process. I am unable to get rid of
> them. they are always there whether I use firefox or not. This
> behaviour occurs only after moving to hardy heron.
>

anyone else sees this?

 affects ubuntu/firefox-3.0
 status incomplete

 affects ubuntu/firefox
 status invalid

 - Alexander

Changed in firefox:
status: New → Invalid
Colby (cek1227) wrote :

I'm getting lots of zombie processes, not just firefox. I just booted a hour ago, and have over 200 zombie "man" processes. Every pidgin process I end/kill ends up zombie instead.

I have a handful of other programs that have several processes in the zombie state: tbl, col, firefox, anacron, zsoelim, udevd - for a few examples.

On Mon, May 19, 2008 at 02:20:30PM -0000, Colby wrote:
> I'm getting lots of zombie processes, not just firefox. I just booted a
> hour ago, and have over 200 zombie "man" processes. Every pidgin process
> I end/kill ends up zombie instead.
>
> I have a handful of other programs that have several processes in the
> zombie state: tbl, col, firefox, anacron, zsoelim, udevd - for a few
> examples.
>

 tag needs-reassignment

You appear to have a different issue. Are you sure your system is
up-to-date? maybe you are stuck in the middle of some upgrade?

Have you checked your system (memory, harddisk) for hardware issues?
do you see something wierd in /var/log/syslog?

 - Alexander

Colby (cek1227) wrote :

Good questions. I've been booting a downrev package, because I can't get the window decorations to run on the latest (but the downrev package can't load the sound drivers!). The problem was occurring on the downrev package (but still Heron - I'd have to restart to get the exact revision numbers), however now the problem is not occurring. So perhaps you're correct - it could be an upgrade funny.

I'll continue to check to see if it occurs again with a current revision as well as a downrev.

sefs (sefsinc) wrote :

This problem seems to have gone away with the recent official and full release of Firefox 3.

Not too sure if the solution was in Firefox 3 itself or the barrage of updates some of which were kernel updates etc.

sefs (sefsinc) wrote :

p.s. the beta versions of FF3 and the RC's also up to RC3 had the zombie issue.

Alexander Sack (asac) wrote :

On Fri, Jun 20, 2008 at 09:28:31PM -0000, sefs wrote:
> p.s. the beta versions of FF3 and the RC's also up to RC3 had the
> zombie issue.
>

not a firefox issue then. there were no changes after RC for final.

 affects ubuntu/firefox-3.0
 status invalid

 - Alexander

Changed in firefox-3.0:
status: Incomplete → Invalid
To post a comment you must log in.
This report contains Public information  Edit
Everyone can see this information.

Other bug subscribers

Bug attachments