All IMAP Folders keep disappearing, reappear after opening "Subscriptions"

Bug #673591 reported by Stephen Ostrow
20
This bug affects 3 people
Affects Status Importance Assigned to Milestone
evolution (Ubuntu)
Medium
Unassigned

Bug Description

Binary package hint: evolution

Since upgrading from 10.04 to 10.10, my IMAP folders under accounts keeps disappearing. I can get them back by going to "Folder" -> "Subscriptions" and selecting the account; however, after a short period of time they disappear again. I have attempted to completely remove the account and all traces of it and then add it back with no difference in the behavior.

This happens on my two accounts using Postfix+Dovecot and not with my 3 accounts using gmail.

I have also attempted to go into "Subscriptions", uncheck (unsubscribe) from all folders, save, exit, reopen evolution, go back to "Subscriptions" and recheck (subscribe) to the folders. Once again they appear for a bit and then disappear.

ProblemType: Bug
DistroRelease: Ubuntu 10.10
Package: evolution 2.30.3-1ubuntu7
ProcVersionSignature: Ubuntu 2.6.35-22.35-generic 2.6.35.4
Uname: Linux 2.6.35-22-generic i686
Architecture: i386
Date: Wed Nov 10 11:07:30 2010
EcryptfsInUse: Yes
ExecutablePath: /usr/bin/evolution
InstallationMedia: Ubuntu 9.10 "Karmic Koala" - Release i386 (20091028.5)
ProcEnviron:
 LANG=en_US.utf8
 SHELL=/bin/bash
SourcePackage: evolution

Revision history for this message
Stephen Ostrow (isleshocky77) wrote :
Revision history for this message
Carl (carl-fischer) wrote :

Same here. One IMAP account works as expected, the other disappears (only the local junk and deleted folders remain visible). I can get my messages back by disabling and re-enabling the account in preferences.

Revision history for this message
Stuart Cianos (scianos-alphavida) wrote :

Confirmed as well... Affects IMAP connections both on Dovecot and Citadel.

Revision history for this message
Mitchell (curious-mitchell) wrote :

Confirmed this is still a problem in Natty 11.04 Alpha 3. In 10.04, Evolution worked flawlessly. My setup in 10.04 was imap folders with Postfix+Dovecot, then with Citadel. Both were fine.

Since installing 11.04 alpha, this problem has been persistent. I am using Citadel on it's own. I can also get my mail folders back via disabling then re-enabling the account (irritating, as then I see ALL my Citadel folders), or selecting subscriptions, unticking, then ticking again each folder I want. Tedious.

Has anyone found a work around? I haven't checked the version of Evolution included with Lucid, so I'm not sure if this is Evolution centric, or something to do with Ubuntu. Would appreciate any information, and am happy to help test bug fixes. This should be marked as a high priority, and is a potential show-stopper for the 11.04 final release. Cheers.

Revision history for this message
Mathieu Trudel-Lapierre (cyphermox) wrote :

Can you reproduce the same behaviour by using the new IMAP+ protocol enhancements in Natty (and it might be available in Maverick too) ?

Changed in evolution (Ubuntu):
status: New → Incomplete
Revision history for this message
Mitchell (curious-mitchell) wrote : Re: [Bug 673591] Re: All IMAP Folders keep disappearing, reappear after opening "Subscriptions"

You are my hero! After hours of stuffing around, this was fixed by
simply selecting "imap+" for the receiving protocol. No problems now,
this is solved for me. Thanks!

~dinky

On Sat, 2011-03-05 at 01:41 +1100, Mathieu Trudel-Lapierre wrote:

> Can you reproduce the same behaviour by using the new IMAP+ protocol
> enhancements in Natty (and it might be available in Maverick too) ?
>
> ** Changed in: evolution (Ubuntu)
> Status: New => Incomplete
>

Revision history for this message
Mathieu Trudel-Lapierre (cyphermox) wrote :

Great, but I'll still see if there are some fixes to backport for this in pure IMAP :)

Changed in evolution (Ubuntu):
status: Incomplete → Triaged
importance: Undecided → Medium
Revision history for this message
Stephen Ostrow (isleshocky77) wrote :

I'm not sure how long you've been trying it with IMAP+, but I as well tried that a while ago thinking it solved it. But like my original description says this happens in sporadic time periods. After using it with IMAP+ for a little while the same behavior happened with the folders disappearing.

Changed in evolution (Ubuntu):
status: Triaged → Incomplete
Revision history for this message
Mathieu Trudel-Lapierre (cyphermox) wrote :

Stephen, dinky,

I can't reproduce this issue here, and I've been using two different sources for IMAP accounts (one of them Google, the other probably Dovecot or so), with no such issues on IMAP+.

Stephen, perhaps you can further clarify which software is used as an IMAP server, in case it has relevance here? Thanks!

Revision history for this message
Stuart Cianos (scianos-alphavida) wrote :

I can confirm that IMAP+ fixes the folder issue for Citadel+Evolution... however, IMAP+ crashes on IMAP move/copy operations on both Citadel and Dovecot in 10.10

Revision history for this message
Mitchell (curious-mitchell) wrote :

I've found that crashing behaviour moving folders, and more accutately messages within folders, too. Creating and deleting folders however is no problem. Mathew, I'm happy to setup an accou t for you on my citadel server if you'd like to use it for testing. Let me know. M

Sent via Linux - Curious Legends Phone Mail

Stuart Cianos <email address hidden> wrote:

>I can confirm that IMAP+ fixes the folder issue for Citadel+Evolution...
>however, IMAP+ crashes on IMAP move/copy operations on both Citadel and
>Dovecot in 10.10
>
>--
>You received this bug notification because you are a direct subscriber
>of the bug.
>https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/673591
>
>Title:
> All IMAP Folders keep disappearing, reappear after opening
> "Subscriptions"
>
>Status in “evolution” package in Ubuntu:
> Incomplete
>
>Bug description:
> Binary package hint: evolution
>
> Since upgrading from 10.04 to 10.10, my IMAP folders under accounts
> keeps disappearing. I can get them back by going to "Folder" ->
> "Subscriptions" and selecting the account; however, after a short
> period of time they disappear again. I have attempted to completely
> remove the account and all traces of it and then add it back with no
> difference in the behavior.
>
> This happens on my two accounts using Postfix+Dovecot and not with my
> 3 accounts using gmail.
>
> I have also attempted to go into "Subscriptions", uncheck
> (unsubscribe) from all folders, save, exit, reopen evolution, go back
> to "Subscriptions" and recheck (subscribe) to the folders. Once again
> they appear for a bit and then disappear.
>
> ProblemType: Bug
> DistroRelease: Ubuntu 10.10
> Package: evolution 2.30.3-1ubuntu7
> ProcVersionSignature: Ubuntu 2.6.35-22.35-generic 2.6.35.4
> Uname: Linux 2.6.35-22-generic i686
> Architecture: i386
> Date: Wed Nov 10 11:07:30 2010
> EcryptfsInUse: Yes
> ExecutablePath: /usr/bin/evolution
> InstallationMedia: Ubuntu 9.10 "Karmic Koala" - Release i386 (20091028.5)
> ProcEnviron:
> LANG=en_US.utf8
> SHELL=/bin/bash
> SourcePackage: evolution
>
>To unsubscribe from this bug, go to:
>https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/evolution/+bug/673591/+subscribe

Revision history for this message
Stuart Cianos (scianos-alphavida) wrote :

Excuse the above post... just got a copy of an email from myself and it looks like my account was compromised by a brute force. Password changed.

And again, my utmost apologies for the content that originated from my address.

Revision history for this message
Mitchell (curious-mitchell) wrote : Re: [Bug 673591] Re: All IMAP Folders keep disappearing, reappear after opening "Subscriptions"

Lol... you had me going there for a minute. Out of curiousity, what was your server setup that was compromised?

Sent via Linux - Curious Legends Phone Mail

Stuart Cianos <email address hidden> wrote:

>Excuse the above post... just got a copy of an email from myself and it
>looks like my account was compromised by a brute force. Password
>changed.
>
>And again, my utmost apologies for the content that originated from my
>address.
>
>--
>You received this bug notification because you are a direct subscriber
>of the bug.
>https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/673591
>
>Title:
> All IMAP Folders keep disappearing, reappear after opening
> "Subscriptions"
>
>Status in “evolution” package in Ubuntu:
> Incomplete
>
>Bug description:
> Binary package hint: evolution
>
> Since upgrading from 10.04 to 10.10, my IMAP folders under accounts
> keeps disappearing. I can get them back by going to "Folder" ->
> "Subscriptions" and selecting the account; however, after a short
> period of time they disappear again. I have attempted to completely
> remove the account and all traces of it and then add it back with no
> difference in the behavior.
>
> This happens on my two accounts using Postfix+Dovecot and not with my
> 3 accounts using gmail.
>
> I have also attempted to go into "Subscriptions", uncheck
> (unsubscribe) from all folders, save, exit, reopen evolution, go back
> to "Subscriptions" and recheck (subscribe) to the folders. Once again
> they appear for a bit and then disappear.
>
> ProblemType: Bug
> DistroRelease: Ubuntu 10.10
> Package: evolution 2.30.3-1ubuntu7
> ProcVersionSignature: Ubuntu 2.6.35-22.35-generic 2.6.35.4
> Uname: Linux 2.6.35-22-generic i686
> Architecture: i386
> Date: Wed Nov 10 11:07:30 2010
> EcryptfsInUse: Yes
> ExecutablePath: /usr/bin/evolution
> InstallationMedia: Ubuntu 9.10 "Karmic Koala" - Release i386 (20091028.5)
> ProcEnviron:
> LANG=en_US.utf8
> SHELL=/bin/bash
> SourcePackage: evolution
>
>To unsubscribe from this bug, go to:
>https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/evolution/+bug/673591/+subscribe

Revision history for this message
Stuart Cianos (scianos-alphavida) wrote :

Looks like some script kiddies ran a brute force attack on the pop3 and got lucky, which also got them smtp from what I can see in my logs... Didn't use any vulns and SELinux is enabled on those servers, so looks like my morning tomorrow will involve denyhosts monitoring my auh logs... for mail instead of just ssh.

Revision history for this message
Launchpad Janitor (janitor) wrote :

[Expired for evolution (Ubuntu) because there has been no activity for 60 days.]

Changed in evolution (Ubuntu):
status: Incomplete → Expired
To post a comment you must log in.
This report contains Public information  Edit
Everyone can see this information.

Other bug subscribers