evolution crashes with SIGSEGV in folder_tree_maybe_expand_row() when creating new folder

Bug #1293144 reported by edibueno on 2014-03-16
174
This bug affects 25 people
Affects Status Importance Assigned to Milestone
Evolution
Fix Released
Medium
evolution (Ubuntu)
Medium
Unassigned
Trusty
Undecided
Iain Lane
evolution-data-server (Ubuntu)
Undecided
Unassigned
Trusty
Undecided
Iain Lane

Bug Description

[ Description ]

(from upstream bug report, might not happen for everyone)

- Open evolution
- Go to mail view
- Try to create a new folder

Check evo crashes before & not after.

I've also cherry-picked some related patches to make the created folder be displayed correctly. Check it doesn't have an expander.

[ Development fix ]

Same patches (disconnect the signals)

[ Regression potential ]

Check that folders are created and displayed properly, including cases that previously worked.

[ Original description ]

When I creates a new folder in Gmail the app closes.

ProblemType: Crash
DistroRelease: Ubuntu 14.04
Package: evolution 3.10.4-0ubuntu1
ProcVersionSignature: Ubuntu 3.13.0-17.37-generic 3.13.6
Uname: Linux 3.13.0-17-generic x86_64
NonfreeKernelModules: wl
ApportVersion: 2.13.3-0ubuntu1
Architecture: amd64
CrashCounter: 1
CurrentDesktop: GNOME
Date: Sun Mar 16 12:21:08 2014
ExecutablePath: /usr/bin/evolution
InstallationDate: Installed on 2014-03-13 (2 days ago)
InstallationMedia: Ubuntu 14.04 LTS "Trusty Tahr" - Alpha amd64 (20140313)
ProcCmdline: evolution
SegvAnalysis:
 Segfault happened at: 0x7f88ad21b520: mov 0x18(%r14),%rdi
 PC (0x7f88ad21b520) ok
 source "0x18(%r14)" (0x00000468) not located in a known VMA region (needed readable region)!
 destination "%rdi" ok
SegvReason: reading NULL VMA
Signal: 11
SourcePackage: evolution
StacktraceTop:
 ?? () from /usr/lib/evolution/3.10/libevolution-mail.so.0
 g_closure_invoke () from /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libgobject-2.0.so.0
 ?? () from /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libgobject-2.0.so.0
 g_signal_emit_valist () from /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libgobject-2.0.so.0
 g_signal_emit () from /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libgobject-2.0.so.0
Title: evolution crashed with SIGSEGV in g_closure_invoke()
UpgradeStatus: No upgrade log present (probably fresh install)
UserGroups: adm cdrom dip kismet lpadmin plugdev sambashare sudo

edibueno (edimbueno) wrote :

StacktraceTop:
 folder_tree_maybe_expand_row (model=0x7f8858020390, tree_path=0x7f88681549b0, iter=<optimized out>, folder_tree=0x7f88d37907c0) at em-folder-tree.c:564
 g_closure_invoke (closure=0x7f88d3790b60, return_value=0x0, n_param_values=3, param_values=0x7fffee4cfae0, invocation_hint=0x7fffee4cfa80) at /build/buildd/glib2.0-2.39.91/./gobject/gclosure.c:768
 signal_emit_unlocked_R (node=node@entry=0x7f88d0919fc0, detail=detail@entry=0, instance=instance@entry=0x7f8858020390, emission_return=emission_return@entry=0x0, instance_and_params=instance_and_params@entry=0x7fffee4cfae0) at /build/buildd/glib2.0-2.39.91/./gobject/gsignal.c:3551
 g_signal_emit_valist (instance=<optimized out>, signal_id=<optimized out>, detail=<optimized out>, var_args=var_args@entry=0x7fffee4cfc98) at /build/buildd/glib2.0-2.39.91/./gobject/gsignal.c:3307
 g_signal_emit (instance=instance@entry=0x7f8858020390, signal_id=<optimized out>, detail=<optimized out>) at /build/buildd/glib2.0-2.39.91/./gobject/gsignal.c:3363

Changed in evolution (Ubuntu):
importance: Undecided → Medium
summary: - evolution crashed with SIGSEGV in g_closure_invoke()
+ evolution crashed with SIGSEGV in folder_tree_maybe_expand_row()
tags: removed: need-amd64-retrace

Status changed to 'Confirmed' because the bug affects multiple users.

Changed in evolution (Ubuntu):
status: New → Confirmed
information type: Private → Private Security
information type: Private Security → Public
Changed in evolution (Ubuntu):
status: Confirmed → Triaged

@Sebastien: this looks like a good one to cherry pick, which is why I subscribed you.

Changed in evolution:
importance: Unknown → Medium
status: Unknown → Fix Released
summary: - evolution crashed with SIGSEGV in folder_tree_maybe_expand_row()
+ evolution crashes with SIGSEGV in folder_tree_maybe_expand_row() when
+ creating new folder

Any one know if this will be fixed in "evolution 3.10.4-0ubuntu1" in Trusty repo or will we be waiting for next Ubuntu release for 'official' fix?

Jörg Frings-Fürst (jff-de) wrote :

Hi

take a look at https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/evolution/+bugs?orderby=-id&start=0

 416 New bugs
607 Open bugs

And the Ubuntu maintainer (Ubuntu Developers) does not use Launchpad.

So I think you must wait for the next Ubuntu release or you must build your own evolution release from upstream.

CU
Jörg

@Jörg: the non-rolling nature of Ubuntu is one of the more frustrating things about it, seeing so many people struggling with issues that are already fixed upstream and/or in the latest version of Ubuntu.

At any rate, I cannot reproduce this using evolution 3.12.4-0ubuntu1 in Ubuntu 14.10, so I am marking it fixed released based on info from gnome bug report.

Changed in evolution (Ubuntu):
status: Triaged → Fix Released
Jörg Frings-Fürst (jff-de) wrote :

@Daniel: Very nice.

And many thanks that users from 14.04 LTS the next 5 Years must use a unusable evolution.

Jörg

@Jörg: if a bug is fixed in the latest Ubuntu version, then it is Fix Released. That does not imply that the problem is fixed in older releases. Even as a member of bug control, I don't have the "power" to open a task for a specific release, or I would. I cannot If you wish, you can request SRU for Trusty: https://wiki.ubuntu.com/StableReleaseUpdates

Also, note that I did what I could to get the bug fixed before Trusty release...

Jörg Frings-Fürst (jff-de) wrote :

[quote]
@Jörg: if a bug is fixed in the latest Ubuntu version, then it is Fix Released.
[/quote]

ROFLMAO

Sorry I'm not a Ubuntu maintainer and in my opinion is a SRU work for the maintainer.

But evolution has in Ubuntu no maintainer or a functional maintainer team.
So my comment #9 is really true.

CU
Jörg

You can look at the changelog and see who is involved in the packaging/maintaining.

If you don't want to do the bit of work to request SRU, then you obviously don't care enough about seeing the bug fixed in older versions. Good luck with that attitude...

Jörg Frings-Fürst (jff-de) wrote :

I offered more than once to support Ubuntu by zoneminder, evolution and other packages.

On a quick search I found my oldest task was from may 2013. And I get only one answer after I have send a adopted patch for zoneminder: a text module how to triage bugs.

Answers on all other tasks: Null, nada, nothing.

And therefore I spend no more time for Ubuntu.

In my opinion that this error required a bug fix and not a SRU.
But I forgot that evolution isn't an important task for the upcoming DELL 13G server.

On the other hand someone can ask the question why you mark a bug as "Fix Released", but you don't file a bug fix.

CU
Jörg

Note: I've done as much as I can here and I'm unsubscribing from this bug (because I'm tired of you wasting my time).

>> In my opinion that this error required a bug fix and not a SRU.

It's two different terms for the same thing when you're referring to a released version.

>> But I forgot that evolution isn't an important task for the upcoming DELL 13G server

If you think that Ubuntu focuses on servers at the expense of other users, then you're free to not use Ubuntu. In fact, it would probably make you happier to use another distro with a different release model, unless you just want to argue for the sake of arguing, in which case you should continue to be as venomous and sarcastic as possible, and see if that gets you anywhere.

>> On the other hand someone can ask the question why you mark a bug as "Fix Released", but you don't file a bug fix.
Because that's Launchpad's/Ubuntu's definition of "Fix Released " even if you don't agree with it. Again, I can't open a sub-task targeting Trusty specifically.

Dave Gilbert (ubuntu-treblig) wrote :

I've 'nominated for trusty' since it does seem worthy of fixing and their is an upstream fix; but someone familiar with the bug needs to follow the SRU procedure.
(The 'fix released' is just an artifact that it's fixed in some release - it doesn't in any way imply it can't be backported).

Michael MacEachern (maceach-b) wrote :

Old bug, still hasn't had the fix pushed to Ubuntu. A total shame.

Could someone please help me. I am just a dumb user who doesn't
understand much of the terminology that has been used on this list
regarding this bug.

I am using Ubuntu 14.04 LTS and Evolution 3.10.4.

Having an email product that crashes when you create a new folder is
just plain stupid.

Clearly the problem is known and understood.

Is the cause of the problem Evolution, Ubuntu, or both?

Who is actually responsible for fixing this?

When is it going to be fixed?

If it is fixed, but not for 14.04, why not?

If it is fixed, but not for 14.04, is there some way I can fix it for
14.04?

Michael Barraclough
Who appreciates the efforts of all those who create and maintain both
Evolution and Ubuntu but who will jettison Evolution if a solution is
not imminent.

Your problem appears to be fixed (for me at least) in Evolution 3.12.4.
That version was installed when I added the Gnome staging depository.
But the Gnome staging depository is of no use if you run just plain
Ubuntu 14.04. Some may be able to compile the newer version from source.

Kind regards
Clemens

On Sun, 2014-08-03 at 20:49 +0000, Michael Barraclough wrote:
> Could someone please help me. I am just a dumb user who doesn't
> understand much of the terminology that has been used on this list
> regarding this bug.
>
> I am using Ubuntu 14.04 LTS and Evolution 3.10.4.
>
> Having an email product that crashes when you create a new folder is
> just plain stupid.
>
> Clearly the problem is known and understood.
>
> Is the cause of the problem Evolution, Ubuntu, or both?
>
> Who is actually responsible for fixing this?
>
> When is it going to be fixed?
>
> If it is fixed, but not for 14.04, why not?
>
> If it is fixed, but not for 14.04, is there some way I can fix it for
> 14.04?
>
> Michael Barraclough
> Who appreciates the efforts of all those who create and maintain both
> Evolution and Ubuntu but who will jettison Evolution if a solution is
> not imminent.
>

I also installed the Staging repo but Evolution 3.12.4 introduced a couple of more serious bugs for me so I had to crawl back to 3.10.

Steve O (stratus-ss) wrote :

I had the same experience. I had to roll back the staging repo because of
bugs in evolution
On Aug 3, 2014 9:25 PM, "Christian Dysthe" <email address hidden> wrote:

> I also installed the Staging repo but Evolution 3.12.4 introduced a
> couple of more serious bugs for me so I had to crawl back to 3.10.
>
> --
> You received this bug notification because you are subscribed to a
> duplicate bug report (1303822).
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/1293144
>
> Title:
> evolution crashes with SIGSEGV in folder_tree_maybe_expand_row() when
> creating new folder
>
> Status in The Evolution Mail & Calendaring Tool:
> Fix Released
> Status in “evolution” package in Ubuntu:
> Fix Released
>
> Bug description:
> When I creates a new folder in Gmail the app closes.
>
> ProblemType: Crash
> DistroRelease: Ubuntu 14.04
> Package: evolution 3.10.4-0ubuntu1
> ProcVersionSignature: Ubuntu 3.13.0-17.37-generic 3.13.6
> Uname: Linux 3.13.0-17-generic x86_64
> NonfreeKernelModules: wl
> ApportVersion: 2.13.3-0ubuntu1
> Architecture: amd64
> CrashCounter: 1
> CurrentDesktop: GNOME
> Date: Sun Mar 16 12:21:08 2014
> ExecutablePath: /usr/bin/evolution
> InstallationDate: Installed on 2014-03-13 (2 days ago)
> InstallationMedia: Ubuntu 14.04 LTS "Trusty Tahr" - Alpha amd64
> (20140313)
> ProcCmdline: evolution
> SegvAnalysis:
> Segfault happened at: 0x7f88ad21b520: mov 0x18(%r14),%rdi
> PC (0x7f88ad21b520) ok
> source "0x18(%r14)" (0x00000468) not located in a known VMA region
> (needed readable region)!
> destination "%rdi" ok
> SegvReason: reading NULL VMA
> Signal: 11
> SourcePackage: evolution
> StacktraceTop:
> ?? () from /usr/lib/evolution/3.10/libevolution-mail.so.0
> g_closure_invoke () from /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libgobject-2.0.so.0
> ?? () from /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libgobject-2.0.so.0
> g_signal_emit_valist () from
> /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libgobject-2.0.so.0
> g_signal_emit () from /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libgobject-2.0.so.0
> Title: evolution crashed with SIGSEGV in g_closure_invoke()
> UpgradeStatus: No upgrade log present (probably fresh install)
> UserGroups: adm cdrom dip kismet lpadmin plugdev sambashare sudo
>
> To manage notifications about this bug go to:
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/evolution/+bug/1293144/+subscriptions
>

Thank you. It is good to know that the bug is fixed for some people.
It would be nice if this *fundamental* flaw was fixed for all people,
especially ordinary users.

If these products are to be the tools of ultra geeks then you are going
exactly the right way to achieve this. However, if the desire is to
make the tools available to ordinary people then that is not reality.
Since the upgrade is not available either in the Ubuntu Software Center,
or in the Synaptic Package Manager (already going way beyond where an
average user should have to go) it is effectively 'not available'. If
the definition of 'available' requires building/compiling etc then you
have lost me, lost many if not most users, and lost the dream of having
ordinary people use Linux instead of Windows.

Michael Barraclough

On Mon, 2014-08-04 at 01:03 +0000, Clemens Vermeulen wrote:

> Your problem appears to be fixed (for me at least) in Evolution 3.12.4.
> That version was installed when I added the Gnome staging depository.
> But the Gnome staging depository is of no use if you run just plain
> Ubuntu 14.04. Some may be able to compile the newer version from source.
>
> Kind regards
> Clemens
>
> On Sun, 2014-08-03 at 20:49 +0000, Michael Barraclough wrote:
> > Could someone please help me. I am just a dumb user who doesn't
> > understand much of the terminology that has been used on this list
> > regarding this bug.
> >
> > I am using Ubuntu 14.04 LTS and Evolution 3.10.4.
> >
> > Having an email product that crashes when you create a new folder is
> > just plain stupid.
> >
> > Clearly the problem is known and understood.
> >
> > Is the cause of the problem Evolution, Ubuntu, or both?
> >
> > Who is actually responsible for fixing this?
> >
> > When is it going to be fixed?
> >
> > If it is fixed, but not for 14.04, why not?
> >
> > If it is fixed, but not for 14.04, is there some way I can fix it for
> > 14.04?
> >
> > Michael Barraclough
> > Who appreciates the efforts of all those who create and maintain both
> > Evolution and Ubuntu but who will jettison Evolution if a solution is
> > not imminent.
> >
>

Iain Lane (laney) on 2014-08-04
Changed in evolution (Ubuntu Trusty):
status: New → In Progress
assignee: nobody → Iain Lane (laney)
Changed in evolution-data-server (Ubuntu):
status: New → Fix Released
Changed in evolution-data-server (Ubuntu Trusty):
status: New → In Progress
assignee: nobody → Iain Lane (laney)
Iain Lane (laney) on 2014-08-04
description: updated
Iain Lane (laney) wrote :

I uploaded evolution and evolution-data-server to trusty-proposed. They're waiting for review from the stable release update team. Watch this bug to know when you can test out the fix.

Thanks for your feedback.

Steve O (stratus-ss) wrote :
Download full text (3.2 KiB)

Thank you to all involved I appreciate the attention. Evolution is a big
part of my professional work flow

Cheers
On Aug 5, 2014 2:01 AM, "Iain Lane" <email address hidden> wrote:

> I uploaded evolution and evolution-data-server to trusty-proposed.
> They're waiting for review from the stable release update team. Watch
> this bug to know when you can test out the fix.
>
> Thanks for your feedback.
>
> --
> You received this bug notification because you are subscribed to a
> duplicate bug report (1297823).
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/1293144
>
> Title:
> evolution crashes with SIGSEGV in folder_tree_maybe_expand_row() when
> creating new folder
>
> Status in The Evolution Mail & Calendaring Tool:
> Fix Released
> Status in “evolution” package in Ubuntu:
> Fix Released
> Status in “evolution-data-server” package in Ubuntu:
> Fix Released
> Status in “evolution” source package in Trusty:
> In Progress
> Status in “evolution-data-server” source package in Trusty:
> In Progress
>
> Bug description:
> [ Description ]
>
> (from upstream bug report, might not happen for everyone)
>
> - Open evolution
> - Go to mail view
> - Try to create a new folder
>
> Check evo crashes before & not after.
>
> I've also cherry-picked some related patches to make the created
> folder be displayed correctly. Check it doesn't have an expander.
>
> [ Development fix ]
>
> Same patches (disconnect the signals)
>
> [ Regression potential ]
>
> Check that folders are created and displayed properly, including cases
> that previously worked.
>
> [ Original description ]
>
> When I creates a new folder in Gmail the app closes.
>
> ProblemType: Crash
> DistroRelease: Ubuntu 14.04
> Package: evolution 3.10.4-0ubuntu1
> ProcVersionSignature: Ubuntu 3.13.0-17.37-generic 3.13.6
> Uname: Linux 3.13.0-17-generic x86_64
> NonfreeKernelModules: wl
> ApportVersion: 2.13.3-0ubuntu1
> Architecture: amd64
> CrashCounter: 1
> CurrentDesktop: GNOME
> Date: Sun Mar 16 12:21:08 2014
> ExecutablePath: /usr/bin/evolution
> InstallationDate: Installed on 2014-03-13 (2 days ago)
> InstallationMedia: Ubuntu 14.04 LTS "Trusty Tahr" - Alpha amd64
> (20140313)
> ProcCmdline: evolution
> SegvAnalysis:
> Segfault happened at: 0x7f88ad21b520: mov 0x18(%r14),%rdi
> PC (0x7f88ad21b520) ok
> source "0x18(%r14)" (0x00000468) not located in a known VMA region
> (needed readable region)!
> destination "%rdi" ok
> SegvReason: reading NULL VMA
> Signal: 11
> SourcePackage: evolution
> StacktraceTop:
> ?? () from /usr/lib/evolution/3.10/libevolution-mail.so.0
> g_closure_invoke () from /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libgobject-2.0.so.0
> ?? () from /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libgobject-2.0.so.0
> g_signal_emit_valist () from
> /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libgobject-2.0.so.0
> g_signal_emit () from /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libgobject-2.0.so.0
> Title: evolution crashed with SIGSEGV in g_closure_invoke()
> UpgradeStatus: No upgrade log present (probably fresh install)
> UserGroups: adm cdrom dip kismet lpadmin plugdev sambashare sudo
>
> To manage notifications about this bug go to:
...

Read more...

Having read https://wiki.ubuntu.com/StableReleaseUpdates and https://wiki.ubuntu.com/StableReleaseUpdates#Reviewing_procedure_and_tools and having followed said guidelines I have reviewed this change and it appears to meet the requirements; hence:-

ubuntu-sru approved and reviewed

Having read https://wiki.ubuntu.com/StableReleaseUpdates and https://wiki.ubuntu.com/StableReleaseUpdates#Reviewing_procedure_and_tools and having followed said guidelines I have reviewed this change and it appears to meet the requirements; hence:-

ubuntu-sru approved and reviewed

Might be doing this wrong I think. I commented against each of the 'trusty' tasks Iain Lane had uploaded patches for, wanting to mark each "ubuntu-sru approved and reviewed". How my comments appear, it isn't clear that that is what I did. Any advice?

Hello edibueno, or anyone else affected,

Accepted evolution-data-server into trusty-proposed. The package will build now and be available at http://launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/evolution-data-server/3.10.4-0ubuntu1.2 in a few hours, and then in the -proposed repository.

Please help us by testing this new package. See https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Testing/EnableProposed for documentation how to enable and use -proposed. Your feedback will aid us getting this update out to other Ubuntu users.

If this package fixes the bug for you, please add a comment to this bug, mentioning the version of the package you tested, and change the tag from verification-needed to verification-done. If it does not fix the bug for you, please add a comment stating that, and change the tag to verification-failed. In either case, details of your testing will help us make a better decision.

Further information regarding the verification process can be found at https://wiki.ubuntu.com/QATeam/PerformingSRUVerification . Thank you in advance!

Changed in evolution-data-server (Ubuntu Trusty):
status: In Progress → Fix Committed
tags: added: verification-needed
Changed in evolution (Ubuntu Trusty):
status: In Progress → Fix Committed
Brian Murray (brian-murray) wrote :

Hello edibueno, or anyone else affected,

Accepted evolution into trusty-proposed. The package will build now and be available at http://launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/evolution/3.10.4-0ubuntu2 in a few hours, and then in the -proposed repository.

Please help us by testing this new package. See https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Testing/EnableProposed for documentation how to enable and use -proposed. Your feedback will aid us getting this update out to other Ubuntu users.

If this package fixes the bug for you, please add a comment to this bug, mentioning the version of the package you tested, and change the tag from verification-needed to verification-done. If it does not fix the bug for you, please add a comment stating that, and change the tag to verification-failed. In either case, details of your testing will help us make a better decision.

Further information regarding the verification process can be found at https://wiki.ubuntu.com/QATeam/PerformingSRUVerification . Thank you in advance!

Brian, Iain et. al. ,
I've just installed from trusty-proposed. Creating new folders no longer crashes evo :)
 I'll keep using this new version daily - It's my usual email/calendar/etc.. anyways and report any regressions if encountered.
Thank you all,
Daniel.

tags: added: verification-done
removed: verification-needed
Download full text (3.1 KiB)

I can also confirm that this fix worked for me as well. I appreciate the
work guys!

Thanks

On Sat, Aug 9, 2014 at 7:15 PM, Daniel Wainwright <
<email address hidden>> wrote:

> ** Tags removed: verification-needed
> ** Tags added: verification-done
>
> --
> You received this bug notification because you are subscribed to a
> duplicate bug report (1303822).
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/1293144
>
> Title:
> evolution crashes with SIGSEGV in folder_tree_maybe_expand_row() when
> creating new folder
>
> Status in The Evolution Mail & Calendaring Tool:
> Fix Released
> Status in “evolution” package in Ubuntu:
> Fix Released
> Status in “evolution-data-server” package in Ubuntu:
> Fix Released
> Status in “evolution” source package in Trusty:
> Fix Committed
> Status in “evolution-data-server” source package in Trusty:
> Fix Committed
>
> Bug description:
> [ Description ]
>
> (from upstream bug report, might not happen for everyone)
>
> - Open evolution
> - Go to mail view
> - Try to create a new folder
>
> Check evo crashes before & not after.
>
> I've also cherry-picked some related patches to make the created
> folder be displayed correctly. Check it doesn't have an expander.
>
> [ Development fix ]
>
> Same patches (disconnect the signals)
>
> [ Regression potential ]
>
> Check that folders are created and displayed properly, including cases
> that previously worked.
>
> [ Original description ]
>
> When I creates a new folder in Gmail the app closes.
>
> ProblemType: Crash
> DistroRelease: Ubuntu 14.04
> Package: evolution 3.10.4-0ubuntu1
> ProcVersionSignature: Ubuntu 3.13.0-17.37-generic 3.13.6
> Uname: Linux 3.13.0-17-generic x86_64
> NonfreeKernelModules: wl
> ApportVersion: 2.13.3-0ubuntu1
> Architecture: amd64
> CrashCounter: 1
> CurrentDesktop: GNOME
> Date: Sun Mar 16 12:21:08 2014
> ExecutablePath: /usr/bin/evolution
> InstallationDate: Installed on 2014-03-13 (2 days ago)
> InstallationMedia: Ubuntu 14.04 LTS "Trusty Tahr" - Alpha amd64
> (20140313)
> ProcCmdline: evolution
> SegvAnalysis:
> Segfault happened at: 0x7f88ad21b520: mov 0x18(%r14),%rdi
> PC (0x7f88ad21b520) ok
> source "0x18(%r14)" (0x00000468) not located in a known VMA region
> (needed readable region)!
> destination "%rdi" ok
> SegvReason: reading NULL VMA
> Signal: 11
> SourcePackage: evolution
> StacktraceTop:
> ?? () from /usr/lib/evolution/3.10/libevolution-mail.so.0
> g_closure_invoke () from /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libgobject-2.0.so.0
> ?? () from /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libgobject-2.0.so.0
> g_signal_emit_valist () from
> /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libgobject-2.0.so.0
> g_signal_emit () from /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libgobject-2.0.so.0
> Title: evolution crashed with SIGSEGV in g_closure_invoke()
> UpgradeStatus: No upgrade log present (probably fresh install)
> UserGroups: adm cdrom dip kismet lpadmin plugdev sambashare sudo
>
> To manage notifications about this bug go to:
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/evolution/+bug/1293144/+subscriptions
>

--
Red Hat 6 Certified Engineer
Ubuntu Certified Professional
Novell Certi...

Read more...

I now have 3.10.4 but I still crash whenever I create a new foilder

Michael,
Can you please confirm that you have installed "evolution 3.10.4-0ubuntu2" and "evolution-data-server 3.10.4-0ubuntu1.2" both from the trusty-proposed repo?
Best regards,
Daniel.

Hi Daniel

Thanks for noticing my comment.

I have now retested and everything seems to be working *ok*. I think
that I had not rebooted after I tested after upgrading.

Thanks for all the work you do.

I will try and find the bug report and update my comments.

Michael Barraclough

On Wed, 2014-08-13 at 07:34 +0000, Daniel Wainwright wrote:

> Michael,
> Can you please confirm that you have installed "evolution 3.10.4-0ubuntu2" and "evolution-data-server 3.10.4-0ubuntu1.2" both from the trusty-proposed repo?
> Best regards,
> Daniel.
>

Launchpad Janitor (janitor) wrote :

This bug was fixed in the package evolution - 3.10.4-0ubuntu2

---------------
evolution (3.10.4-0ubuntu2) trusty; urgency=medium

  * 0001-Newly-created-folders-always-marked-as-having-subfol.patch:
    Cherry-pick patch from upstream to fix regression when creating new folders
    - they are inappropriately showed as a tree (with an expander) (LP:
      #1293144)
  * 0001-Bug-722698-Crash-creating-a-new-folder.patch: Cherry-pick patch from
    upstream to fix crash when creating a new folder (LP: #1293144)
  * Update Vcs-* for trusty branch
 -- Iain Lane <email address hidden> Mon, 04 Aug 2014 09:00:11 +0100

Changed in evolution (Ubuntu Trusty):
status: Fix Committed → Fix Released

The verification of the Stable Release Update for evolution has completed successfully and the package has now been released to -updates. Subsequently, the Ubuntu Stable Release Updates Team is being unsubscribed and will not receive messages about this bug report. In the event that you encounter a regression using the package from -updates please report a new bug using ubuntu-bug and tag the bug report regression-update so we can easily find any regressions.

Launchpad Janitor (janitor) wrote :

This bug was fixed in the package evolution-data-server - 3.10.4-0ubuntu1.2

---------------
evolution-data-server (3.10.4-0ubuntu1.2) trusty; urgency=medium

  * Update Vcs-* for the trusty branch
  * 0001-Set-properly-children-availability-for-newly-created.patch:
    Cherry-pick patch from upstream to fix regression when creating new folders
    - they are inappropriately showed as a tree (with an expander) (LP:
      #1293144)
 -- Iain Lane <email address hidden> Mon, 04 Aug 2014 08:59:53 +0100

Changed in evolution-data-server (Ubuntu Trusty):
status: Fix Committed → Fix Released
Micouin Claude (mlnglst) wrote :

Hi.
I've just tried the new version of Evolution 3.10.4-0ubuntu1.2 and that's Ok.
There's no longer any crash when I create a new folder.
Thank youfor your work.

Claude Micouin

To post a comment you must log in.
This report contains Public information  Edit
Everyone can see this information.

Other bug subscribers

Remote bug watches

Bug watches keep track of this bug in other bug trackers.