this process loses comms with evolution and use 100% CPU until killed

Bug #15036 reported by Russell Cok on 2005-04-06
6
Affects Status Importance Assigned to Milestone
evolution-exchange (Ubuntu)
Medium
Ubuntu Desktop Bugs

Bug Description

Every now and then the evolution-exchange module seems to lose communications
with either the exchange server and/or the evolution program. Goes to 100% CPU
utilisation and does not recover (even when up to 5mins have passed). The ony
way to recvover is to run "evolution --force-shutdown" or kill the process.

I'm trying to use evolution everyday for exchange and pop mail and it is making
the program unusable. I'm getting this at least 7-8 times a day, sometimes more.
It is not network dependant as it occurs at work and at home.

Emilio Tonelli (e-tonelli) wrote :

(In reply to comment #0)

I found this bug also while surfing on ms exchange global contact list, but with
the "today" CVS release 20050405-0ubuntu1 seems to be fixed.

> Every now and then the evolution-exchange module seems to lose communications
> with either the exchange server and/or the evolution program. Goes to 100% CPU
> utilisation and does not recover (even when up to 5mins have passed). The ony
> way to recvover is to run "evolution --force-shutdown" or kill the process.
>
> I'm trying to use evolution everyday for exchange and pop mail and it is making
> the program unusable. I'm getting this at least 7-8 times a day, sometimes more.
> It is not network dependant as it occurs at work and at home.

Russell Cok (ruscook-oz) wrote :

(In reply to comment #1)
Hi I loaded the update last night of 20050405-0ubuntu1 and the problem still
occurs today.

> (In reply to comment #0)
>
> I found this bug also while surfing on ms exchange global contact list, but with
> the "today" CVS release 20050405-0ubuntu1 seems to be fixed.
>
>
>
> > Every now and then the evolution-exchange module seems to lose communications
> > with either the exchange server and/or the evolution program. Goes to 100% CPU
> > utilisation and does not recover (even when up to 5mins have passed). The ony
> > way to recvover is to run "evolution --force-shutdown" or kill the process.
> >
> > I'm trying to use evolution everyday for exchange and pop mail and it is making
> > the program unusable. I'm getting this at least 7-8 times a day, sometimes more.
> > It is not network dependant as it occurs at work and at home.
>

Soren Hansen (soren) wrote :

Is this problem still relevant?

Have you tried running the exchange-connector in a separate window with e.g.
E2K_DEBUG=4? Do you have any idea what I'm talking about? :-)

Russell Cok (ruscook-oz) wrote :

(In reply to comment #3)
> Is this problem still relevant?
Unfortunately, yes. In fact it seems worse on the 2
>
> Have you tried running the exchange-connector in a separate window with e.g.
> E2K_DEBUG=4? Do you have any idea what I'm talking about? :-)

Not sure, do you mean to open a terminal, use "export E2K_DEBUG=4" then run
evolution-exchange-storage from that window, then fire up evolution in it's own
window?

Anything else?

Russell Cok (ruscook-oz) wrote :

(In reply to comment #4)
> (In reply to comment #3)
> > Is this problem still relevant?
> Unfortunately, yes. In fact it seems worse on the 2.2.1.1 release
> >
> > Have you tried running the exchange-connector in a separate window with e.g.
> > E2K_DEBUG=4? Do you have any idea what I'm talking about? :-)
>
> Not sure, do you mean to open a terminal, use "export E2K_DEBUG=4" then run
> evolution-exchange-storage from that window, then fire up evolution in it's own
> window?
>
> Anything else?

Russell Cok (ruscook-oz) wrote :

(In reply to comment #5)
> (In reply to comment #4)
> > (In reply to comment #3)
> > > Is this problem still relevant?
> > Unfortunately, yes. In fact it seems worse on the 2.2.1.1 release
> > >
> > > Have you tried running the exchange-connector in a separate window with e.g.
> > > E2K_DEBUG=4? Do you have any idea what I'm talking about? :-)
> >
> > Not sure, do you mean to open a terminal, use "export E2K_DEBUG=4" then run
> > evolution-exchange-storage from that window, then fire up evolution in it's own
> > window?
> >
> > Anything else?
>
>

Unfortunately, with this setting everytime I hit reply to a message, or new
message evolution crashes with the "has quit unexpectedly" dialog.

The exchange connector window has the following (if this helps):
207 Multi-Status
E2k-Debug: 0x8681558 @ 1119006965
MS-WebStorage: 6.5.7226
Date: Fri, 17 Jun 2005 11:16:03 GMT
Accept-Ranges: rows
X-Powered-By: ASP.NET
Server: Microsoft-IIS/6.0
Transfer-Encoding: chunked
Content-Type: text/xml

<?xml version="1.0"?><a:multistatus
xmlns:b="urn:uuid:c2f41010-65b3-11d1-a29f-00aa00c14882/" xmlns:c="xml:"
xmlns:d="http://schemas.microsoft.com/mapi/proptag/"
xmlns:a="DAV:"><a:response><a:href>https://mail.mcs.usyd.edu.au/exchange/ruscook/Inbox/</a:href><a:propstat><a:status>HTTP/1.1
200 OK</a:status><a:prop><d:x670b0003
b:dt="int">31341</d:x670b0003><a:visiblecount
b:dt="int">67</a:visiblecount></a:prop></a:propstat></a:response></a:multistatus>

UNSUBSCRIBE /exchange/ruscook/Inbox/ HTTP/1.1
E2k-Debug: 0x82ce9b8 @ 1119006969
Host: mail.mcs.usyd.edu.au
User-Agent: Evolution/2.2.1.1
Subscription-id: 3663,3662,3661

207 Multi-Status
E2k-Debug: 0x82ce9b8 @ 1119006969
MS-WebStorage: 6.5.7226
Date: Fri, 17 Jun 2005 11:16:06 GMT
X-Powered-By: ASP.NET
Server: Microsoft-IIS/6.0
Content-Length: 321
Content-Type: text/xml

<?xml version="1.0"?><a:multistatus
xmlns:b="http://schemas.microsoft.com/Exchange/"
xmlns:a="DAV:"><a:response><a:href>https://mail.mcs.usyd.edu.au/exchange/ruscook/Inbox</a:href><a:status>HTTP/1.1
200
OK</a:status><b:subscriptionID><li>3663</li><li>3662</li><li>3661</li></b:subscriptionID></a:response></a:multistatus>

Russell Cok (ruscook-oz) wrote :

Just reran again and hit the calendar button and got another abend (no window
this time) and the connector has the following text in it's terminal window:

BEGIN:VEVENT
X-MICROSOFT-CDO-MODPROPS:BEGIN,class,dtend,dtstart,END,last-modified,recurr
 ence-id,x-microsoft-cdo-busystatus,x-microsoft-cdo-importance,x-microsoft-
 cdo-insttype
DTSTAMP:20050207T045303Z
DTSTART;TZID="GMT +1000 (Standard) / GMT +1100 (Daylight)":20041109T153000
SUMMARY:Craig Weekly Meeting
UID:040000008200E00074C5B7101A82E0080000000080444CCB9C11C401000000000000000
 0100000009896B5620670D74F8DF403945C234DC4
ORGANIZER;CN="Russell Cook":MAILTO:<email address hidden>
ATTENDEE;ROLE=REQ-PARTICIPANT;PARTSTAT=NEEDS-ACTION;RSVP=TRUE;CN="Harry Swa
 nenberg":MAILTO:<email address hidden>
ATTENDEE;ROLE=REQ-PARTICIPANT;PARTSTAT=ACCEPTED;X-REPLYTIME=20050207T045300
 Z;RSVP=TRUE;CN="Jude Hore":MAILTO:<email address hidden>
LOCATION:Russell's Office
DTEND;TZID="GMT +1000 (Standard) / GMT +1100 (Daylight)":20041109T160000
DESCRIPTION:
RECURRENCE-ID;TZID="GMT +1000 (Standard) / GMT +1100 (Daylight)":20041109T1
 00000
SEQUENCE:0
PRIORITY:5
CLASS:
CREATED:20030415T084233Z
LAST-MODIFIED:20041109T000746Z
STATUS:CONFIRMED
TRANSP:OPAQUE
X-MICROSOFT-CDO-BUSYSTATUS:BUSY
X-MICROSOFT-CDO-INSTTYPE:3
X-MICROSOFT-CDO-INTENDEDSTATUS:BUSY
X-MICROSOFT-CDO-ALLDAYEVENT:FALSE
X-MICROSOFT-CDO-IMPORTANCE:1
X-MICROSOFT-CDO-OWNERAPPTID:-1
END:VEVENT
BEGIN:VEVENT
X-MICROSOFT-CDO-MODPROPS:BEGIN,class,dtend,dtstart,END,last-modified,recurr
 ence-id,x-microsoft-cdo-busystatus,x-microsoft-cdo-importance,x-microsoft-
 cdo-insttype
DTSTAMP:20050207T045303Z
DTSTART;TZID="GMT +1000 (Standard) / GMT +1100 (Daylight)":20041214T100000
SUMMARY:Craig Weekly Meeting
UID:040000008200E00074C5B7101A82E0080000000080444CCB9C11C401000000000000000
 0100000009896B5620670D74F8DF403945C234DC4
ORGANIZER;CN="Russell Cook":MAILTO:<email address hidden>
ATTENDEE;ROLE=REQ-PARTICIPANT;PARTSTAT=NEEDS-ACTION;RSVP=TRUE;CN="Harry Swa
 nenberg":MAILTO:<email address hidden>
ATTENDEE;ROLE=REQ-PARTICIPANT;PARTSTAT=ACCEPTED;X-REPLYTIME=20050207T045300
 Z;RSVP=TRUE;CN="Jude Hore":MAILTO:<email address hidden>
LOCATION:Russell's Office
DTEND;TZID="GMT +1000 (Standard) / GMT +1100 (Daylight)":20041214T110000
DESCRIPTION:
RECURRENCE-ID;TZID="GMT +1000 (Standard) / GMT +1100 (Daylight)":20041214T1
 00000
SEQUENCE:0
PRIORITY:5
CLASS:
CREATED:20030415T084233Z
LAST-MODIFIED:20041213T050647Z
STATUS:CONFIRMED
TRANSP:OPAQUE
X-MICROSOFT-CDO-BUSYSTATUS:BUSY
X-MICROSOFT-CDO-INSTTYPE:3
X-MICROSOFT-CDO-INTENDEDSTATUS:BUSY
X-MICROSOFT-CDO-ALLDAYEVENT:FALSE
X-MICROSOFT-CDO-IMPORTANCE:1
X-MICROSOFT-CDO-OWNERAPPTID:-1
END:VEVENT
END:VCALENDAR
------_=_NextPart_001_01C3032A.F4C58140--

libedata-cal-Message: e-data-cal.c:838: could not notify the listener of open

Soren Hansen (soren) wrote :

(In reply to comment #7)
> Just reran again and hit the calendar button and got another abend (no window
> this time) and the connector has the following text in it's terminal window:

Have you tried doing this from another system? Does it still happen then?
Or have you perhaps removed your evolution configuration an $HOME/.evolution and
given it another go?

Of course that sort of thing should be unnecessary, but it gives us a pointer as
to whether it's something in your inbox and/or your calendar that the Connector
can't grok or if it's something that has gone terribly wrong in your
configuration or your cache.. I've seen both happen.

Russell Cok (ruscook-oz) wrote :

(In reply to comment #8)
> (In reply to comment #7)
> > Just reran again and hit the calendar button and got another abend (no window
> > this time) and the connector has the following text in it's terminal window:
>
> Have you tried doing this from another system? Does it still happen then?
> Or have you perhaps removed your evolution configuration an $HOME/.evolution and
> given it another go?
>
> Of course that sort of thing should be unnecessary, but it gives us a pointer as
> to whether it's something in your inbox and/or your calendar that the Connector
> can't grok or if it's something that has gone terribly wrong in your
> configuration or your cache.. I've seen both happen.
Have re-run on a different machine this morning and when changing from mail to
calendar evolution has hung after the following message in the connector window.

GET /exchange/ruscook/Calendar/Updated: Financial System Performance.EML HTTP/1.1
E2k-Debug: 0x86fe620 @ 1119219189
Host: mail.mcs.usyd.edu.au
Translate: F
User-Agent: Evolution/2.2.1.1

Xlib: unexpected async reply (sequence 0x9e)!

Soren Hansen (soren) wrote :

(In reply to comment #9)
> Have re-run on a different machine this morning and when changing from mail to
> calendar evolution has hung after the following message in the connector window.

I assume this was a newly setup Evolution instance?

> GET /exchange/ruscook/Calendar/Updated: Financial System Performance.EML HTTP/1.1
> E2k-Debug: 0x86fe620 @ 1119219189
> Host: mail.mcs.usyd.edu.au
> Translate: F
> User-Agent: Evolution/2.2.1.1
>
> Xlib: unexpected async reply (sequence 0x9e)!

This is a new error, right? I might have a fix for that particular error,
actually. It's on my work computer, I'll attach it to this bug tomorrow.

Russell Cok (ruscook-oz) wrote :

(In reply to comment #10)
> (In reply to comment #9)
> > Have re-run on a different machine this morning and when changing from mail to
> > calendar evolution has hung after the following message in the connector window.
>
> I assume this was a newly setup Evolution instance?
No this is my laptop (which exhibits the problem much worse than my home
desktop) - mainly I think because the laptop is on the LAN at work and the
desktop is only on ADSL at home.
>
> > GET /exchange/ruscook/Calendar/Updated: Financial System Performance.EML
HTTP/1.1
> > E2k-Debug: 0x86fe620 @ 1119219189
> > Host: mail.mcs.usyd.edu.au
> > Translate: F
> > User-Agent: Evolution/2.2.1.1
> >
> > Xlib: unexpected async reply (sequence 0x9e)!
>
> This is a new error, right? I might have a fix for that particular error,
> actually. It's on my work computer, I'll attach it to this bug tomorrow.
Possibly, I have had the data-server also lock/use all of available CPU up
before. I have some additional info on this bug from the debug screen:

attr = ou, info = 0xb7c0976c
value = people
attr = objectClass, info = (nil)
looked up msgid 4, got op 0x866be78

I hope this info helps as I'd really like Evolution to be stable with Exchange.
And thanks for working on this.
Russ

Jeff Bailey (jbailey) wrote :

Are you able to update to current Breezy and test to see if you still see this
problem? There's a few upstream bugs that might be this one:

        #74218 - Connector hangs while creating meeting in 'Calendar' in 'List
view' (Vivek)
        #72044 - Exchange storage hangs while importing contacts to 'Contact'
(Sivaiah)
        #73030 - Connector hangs while edit and save contact from mail (Sivaiah)
        #73025 - Connector hanged while searching 'Email begins' with (Sivaiah)
        #72943 - Connector hangs while deleting mail in offline (Jeffrey)
        #73505 - Connector hangs, right click on occurence 'make this occurence
movable' (Sivaiah)

Also, there was some major rework done with how the connector integrates with
evolution and there's no mention ofhangs in upstream bugzilla.

Tks,
Jeff Bailey

Russell Cok (ruscook-oz) wrote :

(In reply to comment #12)
> Are you able to update to current Breezy and test to see if you still see this
> problem? There's a few upstream bugs that might be this one:
>
> #74218 - Connector hangs while creating meeting in 'Calendar' in 'List
> view' (Vivek)
> #72044 - Exchange storage hangs while importing contacts to 'Contact'
> (Sivaiah)
> #73030 - Connector hangs while edit and save contact from mail (Sivaiah)
> #73025 - Connector hanged while searching 'Email begins' with (Sivaiah)
> #72943 - Connector hangs while deleting mail in offline (Jeffrey)
> #73505 - Connector hangs, right click on occurence 'make this occurence
> movable' (Sivaiah)
>
> Also, there was some major rework done with how the connector integrates with
> evolution and there's no mention ofhangs in upstream bugzilla.
>
> Tks,
> Jeff Bailey
>
>

I'm on leave at the moment and will only be able to check evolution from the
ADSL connection (which was never as bad as the LAN based link). I'll do so over
the next week and post back any hangs etc. I have found breezy Evo (2.4x) to be
much more reliable than the 2.2 release so hopefully we're passed this. Anyway
will report back in a week.
Russ

Jeff Bailey (jbailey) wrote :

Since I haven't heard back, I'm going to mark this bug as 'fixed'. I'm not handling evo-exchange anymore, so I'm going through and cleaning up any backlog.

If it's not actually fixed in current dapper, please say something right away and I'll get this assigned to someone.

Changed in evolution-exchange:
status: Needs Info → Fix Released
To post a comment you must log in.
This report contains Public information  Edit
Everyone can see this information.

Other bug subscribers

Remote bug watches

Bug watches keep track of this bug in other bug trackers.