Cannot login using SIPE, working in pidgin though

Bug #884628 reported by Ralf Hildebrandt on 2011-11-01
This bug affects 8 people
Affects Status Importance Assigned to Milestone
empathy (Ubuntu)

Bug Description

I'm using pidgin, but want to switch to empathy. Every single chat account with the exception of my SIPE account at work is working flawlessly. I cannot (as well as two other colleagues) get it to work. With the same settings, empathy will hang during the "connecting..." stage.
There's no log, no error messages. How do I go about debugging this?

ProblemType: Bug
DistroRelease: Ubuntu 11.10
Package: empathy
ProcVersionSignature: Ubuntu 3.0.0-13.21-generic 3.0.6
Uname: Linux 3.0.0-13-generic x86_64
NonfreeKernelModules: nvidia
ApportVersion: 1.23-0ubuntu4
Architecture: amd64
Date: Tue Nov 1 08:45:16 2011
InstallationMedia: Ubuntu 10.10 "Maverick Meerkat" - Release amd64 (20101007)
 PATH=(custom, no user)
SourcePackage: empathy
UpgradeStatus: Upgraded to oneiric on 2011-09-07 (54 days ago)

Launchpad Janitor (janitor) wrote :

Status changed to 'Confirmed' because the bug affects multiple users.

Changed in empathy (Ubuntu):
status: New → Confirmed
Bilal Shahid (s9iper1) wrote :

Thank you for taking time in filing the bug to make ubuntu better.
what is SiPE and are you using the proxy servers?
try to give us the auth client log if possible?

Dirk Heinrichs (dirk-heinrichs) wrote :

I see the same problem in telepathy-kde from the Telepathy KDE PPA ( SIPE/Office Communicator protocol works fine in Pidgin, but Telepathy is unable to connect with the same connection data.

So it seems the problem is not in empathy, but somewhere in the underlying telepathy framework.

Vincent Fortier (th0ma7) wrote :

Confirmed having the exact same problem still today using 14.04 LTS. What ever I use for my login user name fails to work.

Vincent Fortier (th0ma7) wrote :

I think I have found all related info on this bug... it's actually being caused by empathy not asking to accept the CA certificate at connection time. Therefore you need to have a local copy of your(s) OC server(s) certificate(s).

Here is my starting point, more specifically comment #19

That eventually leads to:

Which interestingly relates as well to an existing launchpad but:


I ended-up finally being able to resolve the issue, hopefully for good! I did the following (found from a previous post on redhat bugzilla):
openssl s_client -showcerts -connect MY_OFFICE_OC_SERVER_FQDN:sip-tls

I've copied the certificate portion to a file named "MY_OFFICE_OC_SERVER_FQDN.pem" in "/usr/share/purple/ca-certs". The relevant info was such as below. Note that I was having two certificates being offerred therefore in the file I also have the related header such as::

 0 s:/DC=aa/DC=bb/DC=cc/DC=dd/CN=blabla
 1 s:/DC=aa/DC=bb/DC=cc/DC=dd/CN=blabla

And voilà! Now only need empathy to do that automagically.

To post a comment you must log in.
This report contains Public information  Edit
Everyone can see this information.

Other bug subscribers

Remote bug watches

Bug watches keep track of this bug in other bug trackers.