kernel won't install using LVM over RAID1 in expert mode

Bug #367486 reported by Bryan Burke on 2009-04-26
20
This bug affects 3 people
Affects Status Importance Assigned to Milestone
debian-installer (Ubuntu)
Undecided
Unassigned

Bug Description

Binary package hint: debian-installer

Ubuntu 9.04 Stable
AMD64

Original forum post (listed under "Second Issue"): http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1137615

This bug occurs when using the alternate and server installers in EXPERT MODE ONLY.

When trying to install Ubuntu using LVM partitioning on top of a hardware RAID1 array, the kernel fails to be configured. The RAID1 array is recognized and activated by the device mapper (only when unnamed, see my other bug report: https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/367505). It appears, however, that mkinitramfs cannot find the root logical volume, and so it fails to produce the initrd. As mentioned above, this bug occurs only when using the expert mode of the installer. When using normal mode, the kernel installs cleanly even though the same LVM partitioning scheme is used.

I have attached the end of the syslog, which shows the erros mentioned above.

Bryan Burke (burke-bryan) wrote :
description: updated
description: updated
description: updated
rachtw (mufenhsieh) wrote :

I experienced the problem too. Nevertheless, I also configured LVM on top of RAID 1 array. I was using the alternate installer in NORMAL MODE and TEXT MODE. The kernel didn't install.

eeguy (babar77) wrote :

I get the exact same error and I definitely narrowed it down to installing on top of a RAID 1 array using EXPERT mode (but I didn't test with or without LVM). It also seems that using unetbootin generates the error all the time when installing on top of RAID 1. I can successfully install if I'm not using RAID or if I'm installing from CD in NORMAL mode. Even unetbootin works if I'm not using RAID.

2009/8/13 eeguy <email address hidden>

> I get the exact same error and I definitely narrowed it down to
> installing on top of a RAID 1 array using EXPERT mode (but I didn't test
> with or without LVM). It also seems that using unetbootin generates the
> error all the time when installing on top of RAID 1. I can successfully
> install if I'm not using RAID or if I'm installing from CD in NORMAL
> mode. Even unetbootin works if I'm not using RAID.
>
> --
> kernel won't install using LVM over RAID1 in expert mode
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/367486
> You received this bug notification because you are subscribed to debian-
> installer in ubuntu.
>
> Status in “debian-installer” package in Ubuntu: New
>
> Bug description:
> Binary package hint: debian-installer
>
> Ubuntu 9.04 Stable
> AMD64
>
> Original forum post (listed under "Second Issue"):
> http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1137615
>
> This bug occurs when using the alternate and server installers in EXPERT
> MODE ONLY.
>
> When trying to install Ubuntu using LVM partitioning on top of a hardware
> RAID1 array, the kernel fails to be configured. The RAID1 array is
> recognized and activated by the device mapper (only when unnamed, see my
> other bug report: https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/367505). It appears,
> however, that mkinitramfs cannot find the root logical volume, and so it
> fails to produce the initrd. As mentioned above, this bug occurs only when
> using the expert mode of the installer. When using normal mode, the kernel
> installs cleanly even though the same LVM partitioning scheme is used.
>
> I have attached the end of the syslog, which shows the erros mentioned
> above.
>

--
Rui Maié
Rua cidade da horta, lote 4, 2º E
Pontinha
Telef: 967724823

Alejandro Mery (amery) wrote :

I'm experiencing this problem installing 10.04, my boot is softraid1 and root lvm upon softraid1

I am having the same problem with 10.04.1 server i386. I am using hardware raid 5 (MegaRAID LDO RAID5 69360R) and trying to install clean with LVM. linux-headers-generic-pae: Depends: linux-headers-2.6.32-24-generic-pae but it is not going to be installed. It works if I do not choose LVM.

To post a comment you must log in.
This report contains Public information  Edit
Everyone can see this information.

Other bug subscribers

Bug attachments