no cyrillic letters in framebuffer console

Bug #14534 reported by Markus Bertheau on 2005-03-25
12
Affects Status Importance Assigned to Milestone
debian-installer (Ubuntu)
High
Colin Watson

Bug Description

I installed Ubuntu from the Preview ISO of March 20th, selected Russian as
language and after the first restart when it switched to the framebuffer console
cyrillic letters displayed as blocks. I'm attaching a photo. I'm glad it didn't
ask me any questions; I would not have been able to answer them.

Markus Bertheau (twanger) wrote :

Created an attachment (id=1855)
Screenshot

Colin Watson (cjwatson) wrote :

Known, but can't easily fix (we need jfbterm, I think).

Markus Bertheau (twanger) wrote :

Can't ubuntu not switch to fb console?

Matt Zimmerman (mdz) wrote :

(In reply to comment #3)
> Can't ubuntu not switch to fb console?

Not a week before a release, no. :-) This is a planned feature for the next release.

Colin Watson (cjwatson) wrote :

(In reply to comment #4)
> (In reply to comment #3)
> > Can't ubuntu not switch to fb console?
>
> Not a week before a release, no. :-) This is a planned feature for the next
release.

Actually, for every locale other than Greek, we already try (this logic's
inherited from Debian):

UTF-8)
        # Enable UTF-8 in console
        case $TERMINAL in
        console)
                # In the case of Greek console support works,
                # so we can ignore loading jfbterm
                if [ $LANG != "el_GR.UTF-8" ]; then
                        try_load_fb
                        WRAPPER="/usr/bin/jfbterm"
                        WRAPPER_OPTION="-q -e"
                fi
                ;;
        esac
        ;;

I could try moving try_load_fb outside that if, I suppose.

Matt Zimmerman (mdz) wrote :

(In reply to comment #5)
> (In reply to comment #4)
> > (In reply to comment #3)
> > > Can't ubuntu not switch to fb console?
> >
> > Not a week before a release, no. :-) This is a planned feature for the next
> release.
>
> Actually, for every locale other than Greek, we already try (this logic's
> inherited from Debian):

But this doesn't actually do anything unless a kernel framebuffer is configured,
right? Do we try to enable that as well, in these cases (we don't for English,
on non-powerpc)?

>
> UTF-8)
> # Enable UTF-8 in console
> case $TERMINAL in
> console)
> # In the case of Greek console support works,
> # so we can ignore loading jfbterm
> if [ $LANG != "el_GR.UTF-8" ]; then
> try_load_fb
> WRAPPER="/usr/bin/jfbterm"
> WRAPPER_OPTION="-q -e"
> fi
> ;;
> esac
> ;;
>
> I could try moving try_load_fb outside that if, I suppose.

Colin Watson (cjwatson) wrote :

(In reply to comment #6)
> > Actually, for every locale other than Greek, we already try (this logic's
> > inherited from Debian):
>
> But this doesn't actually do anything unless a kernel framebuffer is configured,
> right?

It tries to load vesafb/vga16fb followed by fbcon, which is just the same as
what the first stage does ... The main downside of this approach is that it
doesn't affect second and subsequent reboots, unlike having localechooser
configure console-tools, which I thought was what was supposed to happen for Greek.

Michal Suchanek (hramrach) wrote :

In my experience it does switch to framebuffer. Displaying the characters should
be as simple as
consolechars --font=LatArCyrHeb-16
almost certainly for fb and possibly for text console.

Dragomir Dimov (drago) wrote :

(In reply to comment #8)
> In my experience it does switch to framebuffer. Displaying the characters should
> be as simple as
> consolechars --font=LatArCyrHeb-16
> almost certainly for fb and possibly for text console.

May be not that simple :)
~$consolechars --font=LatArCyrHeb-16
~$set_kernel_font: Invalid argument
My kernel is 2.6.12-8-686

Simon Law (sfllaw) wrote :

Markus,

Does this happen with the new Dapper installer?

Thanks.

Rocco Stanzione (trappist) wrote :

Closing after some months of awaiting reply. Please reply or reopen if this is still a problem.

Changed in debian-installer:
status: Needs Info → Rejected
To post a comment you must log in.
This report contains Public information  Edit
Everyone can see this information.

Other bug subscribers

Bug attachments

Remote bug watches

Bug watches keep track of this bug in other bug trackers.