Ubuntu

Integration issues with expo plugin and unity shell

Reported by Sam Spilsbury on 2011-01-17
60
This bug affects 10 people
Affects Status Importance Assigned to Milestone
Ayatana Design
Medium
John Lea
Unity
Medium
Unassigned
compiz (Ubuntu)
Medium
Unassigned
unity (Ubuntu)
Medium
Unassigned

Bug Description

This is a known issue by the unity team themselves, just reporting this bug so I can track the issue.

We need to tweak the unity shell somewhat so that the expo view doesn't look so ugly. Also it might be necessary to include a few distro patches to expo:

1) We need to redecorate maximized windows (and hide the buttons in the shell view) when the expo plugin is triggered
2) We need to always make sure that the launcher is shown, and it should IGNORE moving windows for the intellihide case

------------------------
Desired solution:

Improve Expo view, moving towards 'The Spread' design detailed in the links below. Make sure any changes made are steps towards the full implementation of these specifications.

- Introduction to 'The Spread' http://design.canonical.com/2012/03/task-switching-in-ubuntu-and-a-introduction-to-the-spread/

- UX spec: https://docs.google.com/a/canonical.com/document/d/1EdrlUuZvA9P8-BZufUU2KlHGjg49p9UacF4MCL0U5uA/edit

- Visual designs: http://ubuntuone.com/2VLHZXebsg2xWPIVmdNgZN

Tags: udp Edit Tag help
Changed in unity:
assignee: nobody → Sam "SmSpillaz" Spilsbury (smspillaz)
milestone: none → 3.4
David Barth (dbarth) on 2011-01-17
Changed in unity:
importance: Undecided → Wishlist
Neil J. Patel (njpatel) wrote :

I think only the redecorating is not working, right? Though I don't honestly think it matters...

Changed in unity:
milestone: 3.4 → 3.2.16
status: New → In Progress
Neil J. Patel (njpatel) on 2011-01-27
Changed in unity:
milestone: 3.2.16 → 3.4
Ingo Gerth (igerth) wrote :

The integration of this functionality was a lot better in Mutter/10.10 UNE. The fact that windows can span over multiple workspaces in the overview, for example, is counterintuitive for users. There is a lot of work to be done on this.

For reference:
Compare this orderly fashion: http://static.arstechnica.com/1010review/uworkspaces.png
to chaos: http://blog.elektronik-projekt.de/wp-content/uploads/gimp-halbiert.png

Neil J. Patel (njpatel) on 2011-02-07
Changed in unity:
milestone: 3.4 → 3.4.6
Evgeniy Kirov (evg.kirov) wrote :

I agree.

Maverick's switcher is a lot more easy-to-use than what we have in Natty now.

Didier Roche (didrocks) on 2011-02-21
Changed in unity (Ubuntu):
status: New → In Progress
Didier Roche (didrocks) on 2011-02-24
Changed in unity:
milestone: 3.4.6 → 3.6
Didier Roche (didrocks) on 2011-03-01
Changed in unity:
milestone: 3.6 → 3.6.2
Didier Roche (didrocks) on 2011-03-07
Changed in unity:
milestone: 3.6.2 → 3.6.4
Didier Roche (didrocks) on 2011-03-10
Changed in unity:
milestone: 3.6.4 → 3.6.6
Didier Roche (didrocks) on 2011-03-17
Changed in unity:
milestone: 3.6.6 → 3.6.8
Didier Roche (didrocks) on 2011-03-24
Changed in unity:
milestone: 3.6.8 → 3.8
Didier Roche (didrocks) on 2011-03-28
Changed in unity:
milestone: 3.8 → 3.8.2
David Barth (dbarth) on 2011-03-31
Changed in unity:
milestone: 3.8.2 → 3.8.4
Didier Roche (didrocks) on 2011-04-07
Changed in unity:
milestone: 3.8.4 → 3.8.6
Didier Roche (didrocks) on 2011-04-11
Changed in unity:
milestone: 3.8.6 → 3.8.8
David Barth (dbarth) wrote :

There is an individual bug for tracking the right adjustment with the expo layout: https://bugs.launchpad.net/unity/+bug/754689

This one is de-scoped for Natty.

Changed in unity:
assignee: Sam "SmSpillaz" Spilsbury (smspillaz) → nobody
importance: Wishlist → Low
milestone: 3.8.8 → backlog
status: In Progress → Triaged
Didier Roche (didrocks) on 2011-04-11
Changed in unity:
status: Triaged → In Progress
Omer Akram (om26er) on 2011-04-24
Changed in unity:
status: In Progress → Confirmed
Changed in compiz (Ubuntu):
status: New → Confirmed
Changed in unity (Ubuntu):
status: In Progress → Confirmed
importance: Undecided → Low
Changed in compiz (Ubuntu):
importance: Undecided → Low
Omer Akram (om26er) wrote :

I would love to see point 4 of this bug report to be fixed for O. That would look much nice.

Omer Akram (om26er) wrote :

s/4/3

On Sun, Sep 25, 2011 at 6:13 PM, Omer Akram <email address hidden> wrote:
> I would love to see point 4 of this bug report to be fixed for O. That
> would look much nice.
>

Taking into account that you probably meant point 3 - it already is,
see the new workspaces layout that landed in oneiric.

> --
> You received this bug notification because you are subscribed to the bug
> report.
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/703804
>
> Title:
>  Integration issues with expo plugin and unity shell
>
> Status in Ayatana Design:
>  New
> Status in Unity:
>  Confirmed
> Status in “compiz” package in Ubuntu:
>  Confirmed
> Status in “unity” package in Ubuntu:
>  Confirmed
>
> Bug description:
>  This is a known issue by the unity team themselves, just reporting
>  this bug so I can track the issue.
>
>  We need to tweak the unity shell somewhat so that the expo view
>  doesn't look so ugly. Also it might be necessary to include a few
>  distro patches to expo:
>
>  1) We need to redecorate maximized windows (and hide the buttons in the shell view) when the expo plugin is triggered
>  2) We need to always make sure that the launcher is shown, and it should IGNORE moving windows for the intellihide case
>  3) We need a distro patch to the expo plugin to make it offset by the launcher size.
>
> To manage notifications about this bug go to:
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/ayatana-design/+bug/703804/+subscriptions
>

--
Sam Spilsbury

Omer Akram (om26er) wrote :

oops, I wrongly duplicated a few bugs. now I know Expo is not Scale. though scale would need an offset as well.

Omer Akram (om26er) wrote :

point2 also seems fixed to me. removed point3 from this bug and marked fixed as another.

description: updated
pablomme (pablomme) wrote :

Aren't all three (now two) points in the description fixed in oneiric?

1 - done not by redecorating, but by rescaling maximized windows to cover the top region in expo mode
2 - correctly handled (done during the natty cycle)
3 - manual expo offset introduced in natty with default values matching the default unity launcher and panel; automatic offset (I think?) now in oneiric

Sam Spilsbury (smspillaz) wrote :

On Sun, Sep 25, 2011 at 6:49 PM, Omer Akram <email address hidden> wrote:
> oops, I wrongly duplicated a few bugs. now I know Expo is not Scale.
> though scale would need an offset as well.
>

Indeed. I have some experimental work which would do this and uses the
same layout engine as the alt-tab, but it was too late after Beta 2 to
get this into the distro, but it will be in for P, as it's a fairly
trivial change.

> --
> You received this bug notification because you are subscribed to the bug
> report.
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/703804
>
> Title:
>  Integration issues with expo plugin and unity shell
>
> Status in Ayatana Design:
>  New
> Status in Unity:
>  Confirmed
> Status in “compiz” package in Ubuntu:
>  Confirmed
> Status in “unity” package in Ubuntu:
>  Confirmed
>
> Bug description:
>  This is a known issue by the unity team themselves, just reporting
>  this bug so I can track the issue.
>
>  We need to tweak the unity shell somewhat so that the expo view
>  doesn't look so ugly. Also it might be necessary to include a few
>  distro patches to expo:
>
>  1) We need to redecorate maximized windows (and hide the buttons in the shell view) when the expo plugin is triggered
>  2) We need to always make sure that the launcher is shown, and it should IGNORE moving windows for the intellihide case
>  3) We need a distro patch to the expo plugin to make it offset by the launcher size.
>
> To manage notifications about this bug go to:
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/ayatana-design/+bug/703804/+subscriptions
>

--
Sam Spilsbury

Omer Akram (om26er) wrote :

Lets first make sure what design wants out of this.

Changed in unity:
milestone: backlog → none
status: Confirmed → Incomplete
Changed in compiz (Ubuntu):
status: Confirmed → Incomplete
Changed in unity (Ubuntu):
status: Confirmed → Incomplete
John Lea (johnlea) on 2012-07-18
description: updated
Changed in ayatana-design:
status: New → Triaged
importance: Undecided → Medium
Changed in unity:
status: Incomplete → Triaged
Changed in compiz (Ubuntu):
status: Incomplete → Triaged
Changed in ayatana-design:
assignee: nobody → John Lea (johnlea)
Changed in unity (Ubuntu):
status: Incomplete → Triaged
tags: added: udp
description: updated
John Lea (johnlea) on 2012-08-13
Changed in ayatana-design:
status: Triaged → Fix Committed
John Lea (johnlea) on 2012-10-15
Changed in unity:
importance: Low → Medium
Changed in compiz (Ubuntu):
importance: Low → Medium
Changed in unity (Ubuntu):
importance: Low → Medium
To post a comment you must log in.
This report contains Public information  Edit
Everyone can see this information.

Duplicates of this bug

Other bug subscribers

Related questions