DataSourceSmartOS should default to ext4

Bug #1763511 reported by Mike Gerdts
6
This bug affects 1 person
Affects Status Importance Assigned to Milestone
cloud-init
Fix Released
Medium
Unassigned
cloud-init (Ubuntu)
Fix Released
Medium
Mike Gerdts

Bug Description

As reported in Joyent bug IMAGE-1103, ext3 doesn't work with large ephemeral drives.

2018-03-30 23:36:26,529 - util.py[WARNING]: Failed during filesystem operation
Failed to exec of '['/sbin/mkfs.ext3', '/dev/vdb', '-L', 'ephemeral0', '-F']':
Unexpected error while running command.
Command: ['/sbin/mkfs.ext3', '/dev/vdb', '-L', 'ephemeral0', '-F']
Exit code: 1
Reason: -
Stdout:
Stderr: mke2fs 1.42.13 (17-May-2015)
        mkfs.ext3: Size of device (0x100000000 blocks) /dev/vdb too big to be expressed
                in 32 bits using a blocksize of 4096.

The default should switch to ext4. It so happens that this matches the default in DataSourceAzure.py.

Related branches

Mike Gerdts (mgerdts)
Changed in cloud-init (Ubuntu):
assignee: nobody → Mike Gerdts (mgerdts)
Revision history for this message
Scott Moser (smoser) wrote :

fwiw, I think you could send vendor-data to with cloud-config to set the fs_setup like you wanted (assuming 'you' here are the cloud platform).

The point of vendor data is so that the vendor could make changes like this without changing cloud-init.

But the 1 byte change is also acceptable.
 (ext3 -> ext4).

Revision history for this message
Scott Moser (smoser) wrote :

You probably need to change table_type mbr to gpt too if the point is big disks. In fact it might just be the mbr table that is limiting you.

Revision history for this message
Mike Gerdts (mgerdts) wrote : Re: [Bug 1763511] Re: DataSourceSmartOS should default to ext4

I think we've been avoiding this issue so far because the file system is
being created without partitioning the disk (layout: False). With "layout:
False", I'm guessing that whether gpt or mbr is specified makes no
difference.

Mike

On Thu, Apr 12, 2018 at 8:41 PM, Scott Moser <email address hidden>
wrote:

> You probably need to change table_type mbr to gpt too if the point is
> big disks. In fact it might just be the mbr table that is limiting you.
>
> --
> You received this bug notification because you are subscribed to the bug
> report.
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/1763511
>
> Title:
> DataSourceSmartOS should default to ext4
>
> Status in cloud-init package in Ubuntu:
> New
>
> Bug description:
> As reported in Joyent bug IMAGE-1103, ext3 doesn't work with large
> ephemeral drives.
>
> 2018-03-30 23:36:26,529 - util.py[WARNING]: Failed during filesystem
> operation
> Failed to exec of '['/sbin/mkfs.ext3', '/dev/vdb', '-L', 'ephemeral0',
> '-F']':
> Unexpected error while running command.
> Command: ['/sbin/mkfs.ext3', '/dev/vdb', '-L', 'ephemeral0', '-F']
> Exit code: 1
> Reason: -
> Stdout:
> Stderr: mke2fs 1.42.13 (17-May-2015)
> mkfs.ext3: Size of device (0x100000000 blocks) /dev/vdb too big
> to be expressed
> in 32 bits using a blocksize of 4096.
>
> The default should switch to ext4. It so happens that this matches
> the default in DataSourceAzure.py.
>
> To manage notifications about this bug go to:
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/cloud-init/+
> bug/1763511/+subscriptions
>

Revision history for this message
Scott Moser (smoser) wrote :

ah.yeah, you're probably right.

On Fri, Apr 13, 2018 at 2:02 AM, Mike Gerdts <email address hidden>
wrote:

> I think we've been avoiding this issue so far because the file system is
> being created without partitioning the disk (layout: False). With "layout:
> False", I'm guessing that whether gpt or mbr is specified makes no
> difference.
>
> Mike
>
> On Thu, Apr 12, 2018 at 8:41 PM, Scott Moser <email address hidden>
> wrote:
>
> > You probably need to change table_type mbr to gpt too if the point is
> > big disks. In fact it might just be the mbr table that is limiting you.
> >
> > --
> > You received this bug notification because you are subscribed to the bug
> > report.
> > https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/1763511
> >
> > Title:
> > DataSourceSmartOS should default to ext4
> >
> > Status in cloud-init package in Ubuntu:
> > New
> >
> > Bug description:
> > As reported in Joyent bug IMAGE-1103, ext3 doesn't work with large
> > ephemeral drives.
> >
> > 2018-03-30 23:36:26,529 - util.py[WARNING]: Failed during filesystem
> > operation
> > Failed to exec of '['/sbin/mkfs.ext3', '/dev/vdb', '-L', 'ephemeral0',
> > '-F']':
> > Unexpected error while running command.
> > Command: ['/sbin/mkfs.ext3', '/dev/vdb', '-L', 'ephemeral0', '-F']
> > Exit code: 1
> > Reason: -
> > Stdout:
> > Stderr: mke2fs 1.42.13 (17-May-2015)
> > mkfs.ext3: Size of device (0x100000000 blocks) /dev/vdb too big
> > to be expressed
> > in 32 bits using a blocksize of 4096.
> >
> > The default should switch to ext4. It so happens that this matches
> > the default in DataSourceAzure.py.
> >
> > To manage notifications about this bug go to:
> > https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/cloud-init/+
> > bug/1763511/+subscriptions
> >
>
> --
> You received this bug notification because you are subscribed to cloud-
> init in Ubuntu.
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/1763511
>
> Title:
> DataSourceSmartOS should default to ext4
>
> To manage notifications about this bug go to:
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/cloud-init/+
> bug/1763511/+subscriptions
>

Scott Moser (smoser)
Changed in cloud-init (Ubuntu):
status: New → In Progress
importance: Undecided → Medium
Revision history for this message
Scott Moser (smoser) wrote :

An upstream commit landed for this bug.

To view that commit see the following URL:
https://git.launchpad.net/cloud-init/commit/?id=025ddc03

Revision history for this message
Launchpad Janitor (janitor) wrote :

This bug was fixed in the package cloud-init - 18.2-14-g6d48d265-0ubuntu1

---------------
cloud-init (18.2-14-g6d48d265-0ubuntu1) bionic; urgency=medium

  * New upstream snapshot.
    - net: Depend on iproute2's ip instead of net-tools ifconfig or route
    - DataSourceSmartOS: fix hang when metadata service is down
      [Mike Gerdts] (LP: #1667735)
    - DataSourceSmartOS: change default fs on ephemeral disk from ext3 to
      ext4. [Mike Gerdts] (LP: #1763511)
    - pycodestyle: Fix invalid escape sequences in string literals.
    - Implement bash completion script for cloud-init command line

 -- Chad Smith <email address hidden> Wed, 18 Apr 2018 15:25:53 -0600

Changed in cloud-init (Ubuntu):
status: In Progress → Fix Released
Revision history for this message
Scott Moser (smoser) wrote : Fixed in cloud-init version 18.3.

This bug is believed to be fixed in cloud-init in version 18.3. If this is still a problem for you, please make a comment and set the state back to New

Thank you.

Changed in cloud-init:
status: New → Fix Committed
importance: Undecided → Medium
status: Fix Committed → Fix Released
To post a comment you must log in.
This report contains Public information  
Everyone can see this information.

Other bug subscribers