run crashed with DBusException in call_blocking()

Bug #344916 reported by Eric Hickman on 2009-03-18
This bug affects 35 people
Affects Status Importance Assigned to Milestone
Checkbox
High
Marc Tardif
checkbox (Ubuntu)
High
Marc Tardif

Bug Description

Binary package hint: checkbox

just tried to run system testing after latest juanty upgrade, and it crashed

ProblemType: Crash
Architecture: i386
DistroRelease: Ubuntu 9.04
ExecutablePath: /usr/share/checkbox/run
InterpreterPath: /usr/bin/python2.6
Package: checkbox 0.7
PackageArchitecture: all
ProcCmdline: python /usr/share/checkbox/run /usr/share/checkbox/configs/checkbox-gtk.ini
ProcEnviron:
 SHELL=/bin/bash
 LANG=en_US.UTF-8
PythonArgs: ['/usr/share/checkbox/run', '/usr/share/checkbox/configs/checkbox-gtk.ini']
SourcePackage: checkbox
Title: run crashed with DBusException in call_blocking()
Uname: Linux 2.6.28-10-generic i686
UserGroups: adm admin cdrom dialout lpadmin plugdev sambashare

Eric Hickman (enhickman) wrote :
David Murphy (schwuk) on 2009-03-19
Changed in checkbox (Ubuntu):
assignee: nobody → cr3
importance: Undecided → High
milestone: none → ubuntu-9.04-beta
status: New → Triaged
Changed in checkbox:
assignee: nobody → cr3
importance: Undecided → High
milestone: none → 0.7.1
status: New → Triaged
linuxuser600 (linuxuser600) wrote :

Same Problem here.

Z Hespelt (zhespelt) wrote :

Tried to run system testing after latest Jaunty upgrade, and it crashed.

Alethea Mack (halow8888) wrote :

Yep. Me too.

Wickus Martin (wickus-martin) wrote :

Same here.

sombertattoo (glp) wrote :

Very same problem. Update from 8.10 to 9.04. Tried the system testing. Crashed without GUI.

PirBoazo (pierre-boizot-name) wrote :

szaaaame problem with UNR version 9.04

Wivern (wivern) wrote :

8.10 to 9.04 alpha 6 update.

running "System testing" (checkbox-gtk) as regular user gives the same error.
but running as "root" works fine.

so for now I just changed the menu from "/usr/bin/checkbox-gtk" to "gksu /usr/bin/checkbox-gtk" and it works fine.

Tadas Masiulionis (tadzikaz) wrote :

Same problem

Z Hespelt (zhespelt) wrote :

Run crashed when I tried to run system testing.

Exactly the same problem here

Jonas Diaz (jonasdiaz) wrote :

One more, I have the same problem...

Phil (pcorbett) wrote :

same problem too!

Randall (xrandallx2008) wrote :

same prob here just happened i was wanting to be curious and see what it done and bam it crashed

Z Hespelt (zhespelt) wrote :

updated again this morning and rebooted. Run crashed again.

macpablo (t-bordeleau) wrote :

same here, even after todays updates.

Rick McBride (rmcbride) wrote :

seems to be dying trying to attach to dbus and getting access denied.

amdefeo (amdefeo) wrote :

I might as well jump on the band wagon.

Same problem.

Jon Charge (seropith) wrote :

Same issue.

Same here.

Marc Tardif (cr3) wrote :

Could someone experiencing this problem please attach the configuration files from /etc/checkbox.d and also try running checkbox with debugging information: checkbox-gtk --log-level=debug

The reason I ask is that there have been other reports about configuration file management. So, if the backend manager which should be run as root is not blacklisted when running the checkbox client, then this might cause problems. Thanks for all the reports!

Changed in checkbox:
status: Triaged → Incomplete
Changed in checkbox (Ubuntu):
status: Triaged → Incomplete
Alethea Mack (halow8888) wrote :

Surprise, surprise. I went to run it from terminal as:
checkbox-gtk --log-level-debug

It worked. I submitted it, and am attatching the checkbox.log anyway.

amdefeo (amdefeo) wrote :

This is what I got when I ran checkbox-gtk --log-level=debug

See attachment

linuxuser600 (linuxuser600) wrote :

when i run checkbox-gtk --log-level=debug it looks like this.

Marc Tardif (cr3) wrote :

Thank you very much for the above attachments. The problem seems to be related to the installation process which didn't override the configuration file. So, the backend manager is not being blacklisted and is attempted to be run as the user, whereas it should actually be run by dbus. For a temporary workaround until a new package is released, please try adding the following line in /etc/checkbox.d/checkbox.conf under the [checkbox/plugins] section:

blacklist = backend_manager

Changed in checkbox (Ubuntu):
status: Incomplete → In Progress
Changed in checkbox:
status: Incomplete → In Progress
Jonas Enge (jonas-enge) wrote :

sudo nano /etc/checkbox.d/checkbox.ini

And add
blacklist = backend_manager

to [checkbox/plugins] section worked for me.

Adding the option worked here too.

cheshirrrrre (cheshirrrrre) wrote :

same here.

THX :)

Marc Tardif pisze:
> Thank you very much for the above attachments. The problem seems to be
> related to the installation process which didn't override the
> configuration file. So, the backend manager is not being blacklisted and
> is attempted to be run as the user, whereas it should actually be run by
> dbus. For a temporary workaround until a new package is released, please
> try adding the following line in /etc/checkbox.d/checkbox.conf under the
> [checkbox/plugins] section:
>
> blacklist = backend_manager
>
> ** Changed in: checkbox (Ubuntu)
> Status: Incomplete => In Progress
>
> ** Changed in: checkbox
> Status: Incomplete => In Progress
>
>

NetBit73 (mmach) wrote :

THX :)

Jonas Enge pisze:
> sudo nano /etc/checkbox.d/checkbox.ini
>
> And add
> blacklist = backend_manager
>
> to [checkbox/plugins] section worked for me.
>
>

dmcdonald (daniel-mcdonald) wrote :

Same here

Works ! :)

Marc Tardif a écrit :
> Thank you very much for the above attachments. The problem seems to be
> related to the installation process which didn't override the
> configuration file. So, the backend manager is not being blacklisted and
> is attempted to be run as the user, whereas it should actually be run by
> dbus.

Chris McCormick (cjmccormick) wrote :

just tried to run system testing after latest juanty upgrade, and it crashed

amdefeo (amdefeo) wrote :

Nice!!!!

Marc Tardif (cr3) wrote :

Thanks for all the feedback everyone, I have just committed a fix which should prevent this problem from occuring again. I have basically removed ucf from the equation because there is currently no use case to modify the configuration file. So, instead of asking to keep the user's configuration or the package maintainer's, the latter configuration is always used.

Changed in checkbox:
status: In Progress → Fix Committed
Changed in checkbox (Ubuntu):
status: In Progress → Fix Committed
Peter (shewankao) wrote :

Works well, thank!

On Tue, Mar 24, 2009 at 10:23 PM, Marc Tardif <email address hidden>wrote:

> Thanks for all the feedback everyone, I have just committed a fix which
> should prevent this problem from occuring again. I have basically
> removed ucf from the equation because there is currently no use case to
> modify the configuration file. So, instead of asking to keep the user's
> configuration or the package maintainer's, the latter configuration is
> always used.
>
> ** Changed in: checkbox
> Status: In Progress => Fix Committed
>
> ** Changed in: checkbox (Ubuntu)
> Status: In Progress => Fix Committed
>
> --
> run crashed with DBusException in call_blocking()
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/344916
> You received this bug notification because you are a direct subscriber
> of the bug.
>
> Status in Checkbox System Testing: Fix Committed
> Status in “checkbox” source package in Ubuntu: Fix Committed
>
> Bug description:
> Binary package hint: checkbox
>
> just tried to run system testing after latest juanty upgrade, and it
> crashed
>
> ProblemType: Crash
> Architecture: i386
> DistroRelease: Ubuntu 9.04
> ExecutablePath: /usr/share/checkbox/run
> InterpreterPath: /usr/bin/python2.6
> Package: checkbox 0.7
> PackageArchitecture: all
> ProcCmdline: python /usr/share/checkbox/run
> /usr/share/checkbox/configs/checkbox-gtk.ini
> ProcEnviron:
> SHELL=/bin/bash
> LANG=en_US.UTF-8
> PythonArgs: ['/usr/share/checkbox/run',
> '/usr/share/checkbox/configs/checkbox-gtk.ini']
> SourcePackage: checkbox
> Title: run crashed with DBusException in call_blocking()
> Uname: Linux 2.6.28-10-generic i686
> UserGroups: adm admin cdrom dialout lpadmin plugdev sambashare
>

same on amd64

CR. Middaugh (cr-middaugh) wrote :

Thanks, problem solved with:

/etc/checkbox.d/checkbox.ini

[checkbox/plugins]
blacklist = backend_manager

skyrider (xtreambike) wrote :

Hi thank you for the e-mail!
Can I ask you something else? I'm new user and I instal the ubuntu 8.10 and
I feel very happy
with this edition!!!! everthing works great, at least that I check unless a
wifi adaptor realteck rtl 8187.
I try to instal a driver that I found in realtck site and then the adaptor
works but when I open the firefox
does not run (online but no upload-download...).
But the most important problem is that, I try to do a system hardware check
and the system start and when the sound check start
I hear a mistirious noise ksssksksks... and from then and after my sound
card has malfuction.. I have not sound, only
this ksksksskssks. Have you ever hear for that problem?

Thank you for listening me.

acer aspire 2930
intel core2 T5800 2.0Ghz, 3Gb ram, Graphics 4500MHD,

2009/3/25 nutznboltz <email address hidden>

> same on amd64
>
> --
> run crashed with DBusException in call_blocking()
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/344916
> You received this bug notification because you are a direct subscriber
> of the bug.
>
> Status in Checkbox System Testing: Fix Committed
> Status in “checkbox” source package in Ubuntu: Fix Committed
>
> Bug description:
> Binary package hint: checkbox
>
> just tried to run system testing after latest juanty upgrade, and it
> crashed
>
> ProblemType: Crash
> Architecture: i386
> DistroRelease: Ubuntu 9.04
> ExecutablePath: /usr/share/checkbox/run
> InterpreterPath: /usr/bin/python2.6
> Package: checkbox 0.7
> PackageArchitecture: all
> ProcCmdline: python /usr/share/checkbox/run
> /usr/share/checkbox/configs/checkbox-gtk.ini
> ProcEnviron:
> SHELL=/bin/bash
> LANG=en_US.UTF-8
> PythonArgs: ['/usr/share/checkbox/run',
> '/usr/share/checkbox/configs/checkbox-gtk.ini']
> SourcePackage: checkbox
> Title: run crashed with DBusException in call_blocking()
> Uname: Linux 2.6.28-10-generic i686
> UserGroups: adm admin cdrom dialout lpadmin plugdev sambashare
>

--
Mototechnicland R&D Store
Babis
<email address hidden>

gissi (zerinol) on 2009-03-29
description: updated
David Murphy (schwuk) on 2009-03-31
Changed in checkbox:
status: Fix Committed → Fix Released
Changed in checkbox:
status: Fix Committed → Fix Released
28 comments hidden view all 108 comments

System Testing on 9.04 beta, upgraded from 8.10, still crashing.

ludefork (ludefork) wrote :

Crashed using 9.04 and after updating in the last 3 minutes.

zednex (zhurzuk) wrote :

thanx for the fix

David Murphy (schwuk) wrote :

@Paul, @Yohanes, @ludefork: Can you confirm which version of Checkbox you have (`dpkg -l | grep checkbox`), and can you attach your /etc/checkbox.d/checkbox.ini please.

manueljdms (manueljdms) wrote :

2009/4/2 Dave Murphy <email address hidden>

> @Paul, @Yohanes, @ludefork: Can you confirm which version of Checkbox
> you have (`dpkg -l | grep checkbox`), and can you attach your
> /etc/checkbox.d/checkbox.ini please.
>
> --
> run crashed with DBusException in call_blocking()
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/344916
> You received this bug notification because you are a direct subscriber
> of a duplicate bug.
>
> Status in Checkbox System Testing: Fix Released
> Status in “checkbox” source package in Ubuntu: Fix Released
>
> Bug description:
> Binary package hint: checkbox
>
> just tried to run system testing after latest juanty upgrade, and it
> crashed
>
> ProblemType: Crash
> Architecture: AMD64
> DistroRelease: Ubuntu 9.04
> ExecutablePath: /usr/share/checkbox/run
> InterpreterPath: /usr/bin/python2.6
> Package: checkbox 0.7
> PackageArchitecture: all
> ProcCmdline: python /usr/share/checkbox/run
> /usr/share/checkbox/configs/checkbox-gtk.ini
> ProcEnviron:
> SHELL=/bin/bash
> LANG=en_US.UTF-8
> PythonArgs: ['/usr/share/checkbox/run',
> '/usr/share/checkbox/configs/checkbox-gtk.ini']
> SourcePackage: checkbox
> Title: run crashed with DBusException in call_blocking()
> Uname: Linux 2.6.28-10-generic i686
> UserGroups: adm admin cdrom dialout lpadmin plugdev sambashare
>

--
manueljd.

Jim Louvau (jlouvau) wrote :

0.7.1 fixed it here on 1 i386 and 2 amd64 boxen (9.04 beta). Thanks!

jem141 (jem141) wrote :

Yes, 0.7.1 seems to be stable. Thanks!!!

On Thu, Apr 2, 2009 at 8:33 AM, Jim Louvau <email address hidden> wrote:
> 0.7.1 fixed it here on 1 i386 and 2 amd64 boxen (9.04 beta). Thanks!
>
> --
> run crashed with DBusException in call_blocking()
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/344916
> You received this bug notification because you are a direct subscriber
> of the bug.
>

--
~ Jeff McDonough

ludefork (ludefork) wrote :

Dave Murphy:

I've got checkbox 0.7.1.

See attach for checkbox.ini

Crashed again a few minutes ago while loading "System Testing". I had updated the 9.04 software before loading "System Testing."

David Murphy (schwuk) wrote :

@ludefork: You might have 0.7.1 installed, but your checkbox.ini is wrong (which is strange because 0.7.1 should replace that file). Can you replace the contents of /etc/checkbox.d/checkbox.ini with the following and re-test?

[DEFAULT]
version = 0.7
plugins = checkbox/plugins
registries = checkbox/registries

[checkbox/plugins]
blacklist = backend_manager
modules = %(checkbox_share)s/plugins/*.py

[checkbox/registries]
modules = %(checkbox_share)s/registries/*.py

jem141 (jem141) wrote :

It appears mine is wrong as well.

rugrat@jeff3:~$ cat /etc/checkbox.d/checkbox.ini
[DEFAULT]
version = 0.1-0ubuntu10
plugins = checkbox/plugins
registries = checkbox/registries

[checkbox/plugins]
blacklist = backend_manager
modules = %(checkbox_share)s/plugins

[checkbox/registries]
modules = %(checkbox_share)s/registries

rugrat@jeff3:~$ dpkg -l | grep checkbox
ii checkbox 0.7.1
                Checkbox System Testing
ii checkbox-gtk 0.7.1
                Checkbox GTK Interface
ii hwtest 0.7.1
                Transitional package to checkbox
ii hwtest-gtk 0.7.1
                Transitional package to checkbox-gtk
rugrat@jeff3:~$

On Thu, Apr 2, 2009 at 11:08 AM, Dave Murphy <email address hidden> wrote:
> @ludefork: You might have 0.7.1 installed, but your checkbox.ini is
> wrong (which is strange because 0.7.1 should replace that file). Can you
> replace the contents of /etc/checkbox.d/checkbox.ini with the following
> and re-test?
>
> [DEFAULT]
> version = 0.7
> plugins = checkbox/plugins
> registries = checkbox/registries
>
> [checkbox/plugins]
> blacklist = backend_manager
> modules = %(checkbox_share)s/plugins/*.py
>
> [checkbox/registries]
> modules = %(checkbox_share)s/registries/*.py
>
> --
> run crashed with DBusException in call_blocking()
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/344916
> You received this bug notification because you are a direct subscriber
> of the bug.
>

--
~ Jeff McDonough

Michael Priest (pingers) wrote :

Okay, I had the same trouble - replaced the checkbox.ini and it runs fine
Running 0.7.1... so I assume it was supposed to be replaced, but wasn't.
(Upgraded from Ubuntu 8.10 to 9.04)

ludefork (ludefork) wrote :

Dave Murphy: thanks, that worked!

manueljdms (manueljdms) wrote :

2009/4/2 Michael Priest <email address hidden>

> Okay, I had the same trouble - replaced the checkbox.ini and it runs fine
> Running 0.7.1... so I assume it was supposed to be replaced, but wasn't.
> (Upgraded from Ubuntu 8.10 to 9.04)
>
> --
> run crashed with DBusException in call_blocking()
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/344916
> You received this bug notification because you are a direct subscriber
> of a duplicate bug.
>
> Status in Checkbox System Testing: Fix Released
> Status in “checkbox” source package in Ubuntu: Fix Released
>
> Bug description:
> Binary package hint: checkbox
>
> just tried to run system testing after latest juanty upgrade, and it
> crashed
>
> ProblemType: Crash
> Architecture: AMD64
> DistroRelease: Ubuntu 9.04
> ExecutablePath: /usr/share/checkbox/run
> InterpreterPath: /usr/bin/python2.6
> Package: checkbox 0.7
> PackageArchitecture: all
> ProcCmdline: python /usr/share/checkbox/run
> /usr/share/checkbox/configs/checkbox-gtk.ini
> ProcEnviron:
> SHELL=/bin/bash
> LANG=en_US.UTF-8
> PythonArgs: ['/usr/share/checkbox/run',
> '/usr/share/checkbox/configs/checkbox-gtk.ini']
> SourcePackage: checkbox
> Title: run crashed with DBusException in call_blocking()
> Uname: Linux 2.6.28-10-generic i686
> UserGroups: adm admin cdrom dialout lpadmin plugdev sambashare
>

--
manueljd.

manueljdms a écrit :
> 2009/4/2 Michael Priest <email address hidden>
>
>
>> Okay, I had the same trouble - replaced the checkbox.ini and it runs fine
>> Running 0.7.1... so I assume it was supposed to be replaced, but wasn't.
>> (Upgraded from Ubuntu 8.10 to 9.04)
>>
>> --
>> run crashed with DBusException in call_blocking()
>> https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/344916
>> You received this bug notification because you are a direct subscriber
>> of a duplicate bug.
>>
>> Status in Checkbox System Testing: Fix Released
>> Status in “checkbox” source package in Ubuntu: Fix Released
>>
>> Bug description:
>> Binary package hint: checkbox
>>
>> just tried to run system testing after latest juanty upgrade, and it
>> crashed
>>
>> ProblemType: Crash
>> Architecture: AMD64
>> DistroRelease: Ubuntu 9.04
>> ExecutablePath: /usr/share/checkbox/run
>> InterpreterPath: /usr/bin/python2.6
>> Package: checkbox 0.7
>> PackageArchitecture: all
>> ProcCmdline: python /usr/share/checkbox/run
>> /usr/share/checkbox/configs/checkbox-gtk.ini
>> ProcEnviron:
>> SHELL=/bin/bash
>> LANG=en_US.UTF-8
>> PythonArgs: ['/usr/share/checkbox/run',
>> '/usr/share/checkbox/configs/checkbox-gtk.ini']
>> SourcePackage: checkbox
>> Title: run crashed with DBusException in call_blocking()
>> Uname: Linux 2.6.28-10-generic i686
>> UserGroups: adm admin cdrom dialout lpadmin plugdev sambashare
>>
>>
>
>
>
no more problem since i made some updates,
many thanks

Desai (bhavikdesai1988) wrote :

when clicked system testing, it gave me
Sorry, the program g
"run" closed
unexpectedly

If you were not doing anything confidential(entering
passwords or other private information), you can help
to improve the application by reporting the problem.

2009/4/4 Desai <email address hidden>

> when clicked system testing, it gave me
> Sorry, the program g
> "run" closed
> unexpectedly
>
> If you were not doing anything confidential(entering
> passwords or other private information), you can help
> to improve the application by reporting the problem.
>
> --
> run crashed with DBusException in call_blocking()
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/344916
> You received this bug notification because you are a direct subscriber
> of a duplicate bug.
>
> Status in Checkbox System Testing: Fix Released
> Status in “checkbox” source package in Ubuntu: Fix Released
>
> Bug description:
> Binary package hint: checkbox
>
> just tried to run system testing after latest juanty upgrade, and it
> crashed
>
> ProblemType: Crash
> Architecture: AMD64
> DistroRelease: Ubuntu 9.04
> ExecutablePath: /usr/share/checkbox/run
> InterpreterPath: /usr/bin/python2.6
> Package: checkbox 0.7
> PackageArchitecture: all
> ProcCmdline: python /usr/share/checkbox/run
> /usr/share/checkbox/configs/checkbox-gtk.ini
> ProcEnviron:
> SHELL=/bin/bash
> LANG=en_US.UTF-8
> PythonArgs: ['/usr/share/checkbox/run',
> '/usr/share/checkbox/configs/checkbox-gtk.ini']
> SourcePackage: checkbox
> Title: run crashed with DBusException in call_blocking()
> Uname: Linux 2.6.28-10-generic i686
> UserGroups: adm admin cdrom dialout lpadmin plugdev sambashare
>

--
manueljd.

description: updated
Adam Stovicek (arstovicek) wrote :

System Testing crashed with this bug on first attempt with the below criteria. It happen while the "Gathering information from your system..." dialog box was visible. Subsequent attempts to use System Testing finished with no errors.

adam@osiris:~$ lsb_release -a
No LSB modules are available.
Distributor ID: Ubuntu
Description: Ubuntu jaunty (development branch)
Release: 9.04
Codename: jaunty

adam@osiris:~$ uname -a
Linux osiris 2.6.28-11-generic #40-Ubuntu SMP Fri Apr 3 17:39:51 UTC 2009 i686 GNU/Linux

adam@osiris:~$ dpkg -l | grep checkbox
ii checkbox 0.7.1 Checkbox System Testing
ii checkbox-gtk 0.7.1 Checkbox GTK Interface
ii hwtest-gtk 0.7.1 Transitional package to checkbox-gtk

adam@osiris:~$ cat /etc/checkbox.d/checkbox.ini
[DEFAULT]
version = 0.7
plugins = checkbox/plugins
registries = checkbox/registries

[checkbox/plugins]
blacklist = backend_manager
modules = %(checkbox_share)s/plugins/*.py

[checkbox/registries]
modules = %(checkbox_share)s/registries/*.py

collinp (collinp) wrote :

Had this same problem, the configuration posted before fixed it.

Nerix (l-neri) wrote :

Run crashed while loading system testing

manueljdms (manueljdms) wrote :

2009/4/5 Nerix <email address hidden>

> Run crashed while loading system testing
>
> --
> run crashed with DBusException in call_blocking()
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/344916
> You received this bug notification because you are a direct subscriber
> of a duplicate bug.
>
> Status in Checkbox System Testing: Fix Released
> Status in “checkbox” source package in Ubuntu: Fix Released
>
> Bug description:
> Binary package hint: checkbox
>
> just tried to run system testing after latest juanty upgrade, and it
> crashed
>
> ProblemType: Crash
> Architecture: i386
> DistroRelease: Ubuntu 9.04
> ExecutablePath: /usr/share/checkbox/run
> InterpreterPath: /usr/bin/python2.6
> Package: checkbox 0.7
> PackageArchitecture: all
> ProcCmdline: python /usr/share/checkbox/run
> /usr/share/checkbox/configs/checkbox-gtk.ini
> ProcEnviron:
> SHELL=/bin/bash
> LANG=en_US.UTF-8
> PythonArgs: ['/usr/share/checkbox/run',
> '/usr/share/checkbox/configs/checkbox-gtk.ini']
> SourcePackage: checkbox
> Title: run crashed with DBusException in call_blocking()
> Uname: Linux 2.6.28-10-generic i686
> UserGroups: adm admin cdrom dialout lpadmin plugdev sambashare
>

--
manueljd.

Allan Nordhøy (comradekingu) wrote :

8.04 → 8.10 → 9.04
Updated, but still crashes.

Jonathande2 (jonathan-slob) wrote :

fixed only you clicked on no when the updater asked to replace a config file that`s why it still crashes

zaphodbblx (zaphodbblx) wrote :

found fix...all better thanks!
brian
On Tue, Apr 7, 2009 at 4:07 PM, Jonathande2 <email address hidden>wrote:

> fixed only you clicked on no when the updater asked to replace a config
> file that`s why it still crashes
>
> --
> run crashed with DBusException in call_blocking()
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/344916
> You received this bug notification because you are a direct subscriber
> of the bug.
>

--
Ubuntu..... Linux for human beings

Alex Mayorga (alex-mayorga) wrote :

I for one still crashing like this as reported on Bug #357407

ivavis (ivano.visco) wrote :

good work :D

2009/4/8 zaphodbblx <email address hidden>

> found fix...all better thanks!
> brian
> On Tue, Apr 7, 2009 at 4:07 PM, Jonathande2 <<email address hidden>
> >wrote:
>
> > fixed only you clicked on no when the updater asked to replace a config
> > file that`s why it still crashes
> >
> > --
> > run crashed with DBusException in call_blocking()
> > https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/344916
> > You received this bug notification because you are a direct subscriber
> > of the bug.
> >
>
>
> --
> Ubuntu..... Linux for human beings
>
> --
> run crashed with DBusException in call_blocking()
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/344916
> You received this bug notification because you are a direct subscriber
> of the bug.
>
> Status in Checkbox System Testing: Fix Released
> Status in “checkbox” source package in Ubuntu: Fix Released
>
> Bug description:
> Binary package hint: checkbox
>
> just tried to run system testing after latest juanty upgrade, and it
> crashed
>
> ProblemType: Crash
> Architecture: i386
> DistroRelease: Ubuntu 9.04
> ExecutablePath: /usr/share/checkbox/run
> InterpreterPath: /usr/bin/python2.6
> Package: checkbox 0.7
> PackageArchitecture: all
> ProcCmdline: python /usr/share/checkbox/run
> /usr/share/checkbox/configs/checkbox-gtk.ini
> ProcEnviron:
> SHELL=/bin/bash
> LANG=en_US.UTF-8
> PythonArgs: ['/usr/share/checkbox/run',
> '/usr/share/checkbox/configs/checkbox-gtk.ini']
> SourcePackage: checkbox
> Title: run crashed with DBusException in call_blocking()
> Uname: Linux 2.6.28-10-generic i686
> UserGroups: adm admin cdrom dialout lpadmin plugdev sambashare
>

David Murphy (schwuk) wrote :

For anyone still experiencing this problem, please can you replace the contents of /etc/checkbox.d/checkbox.ini with the following and re-test. Thank you.

[DEFAULT]
version = 0.7
plugins = checkbox/plugins
registries = checkbox/registries

[checkbox/plugins]
blacklist = backend_manager
modules = %(checkbox_share)s/plugins/*.py

[checkbox/registries]
modules = %(checkbox_share)s/registries/*.py

YA_SRSLY (hippo56) wrote :

found fix that works for me... try re-installing "checkbox" through Synaptic... worked like a charm

Nikola B (eniaroyah) wrote :

Re> For anyone still experiencing this problem, please can you replace the
contents of /etc/checkbox.d/checkbox.ini with the following and re-test.

Thank you, this works on x64.

Eero Pajarre (epajarre) wrote :

Dave Murphy's checkbox.ini fixed the System testing start for me also
(Jaunty on Pentium4). I still seem to get an latter error though.

I will see what Apport wants to report for that.

     Eero

ivavis (ivano.visco) wrote :

re-installing checkbox worked for me too.

2009/4/8 YA_SRSLY <email address hidden>

> found fix that works for me... try re-installing "checkbox" through
> Synaptic... worked like a charm
>
> --
> run crashed with DBusException in call_blocking()
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/344916
> You received this bug notification because you are a direct subscriber
> of the bug.
>
> Status in Checkbox System Testing: Fix Released
> Status in “checkbox” source package in Ubuntu: Fix Released
>
> Bug description:
> Binary package hint: checkbox
>
> just tried to run system testing after latest juanty upgrade, and it
> crashed
>
> ProblemType: Crash
> Architecture: i386
> DistroRelease: Ubuntu 9.04
> ExecutablePath: /usr/share/checkbox/run
> InterpreterPath: /usr/bin/python2.6
> Package: checkbox 0.7
> PackageArchitecture: all
> ProcCmdline: python /usr/share/checkbox/run
> /usr/share/checkbox/configs/checkbox-gtk.ini
> ProcEnviron:
> SHELL=/bin/bash
> LANG=en_US.UTF-8
> PythonArgs: ['/usr/share/checkbox/run',
> '/usr/share/checkbox/configs/checkbox-gtk.ini']
> SourcePackage: checkbox
> Title: run crashed with DBusException in call_blocking()
> Uname: Linux 2.6.28-10-generic i686
> UserGroups: adm admin cdrom dialout lpadmin plugdev sambashare
>

Voicu Marius (voicumarius) wrote :

 It worked after re-installing checkbox.

2009/4/8 Ivano Visco <email address hidden>

> re-installing checkbox worked for me too.
>
> 2009/4/8 YA_SRSLY <email address hidden>
>
> > found fix that works for me... try re-installing "checkbox" through
> > Synaptic... worked like a charm
> >
> > --
> > run crashed with DBusException in call_blocking()
> > https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/344916
> > You received this bug notification because you are a direct subscriber
> > of the bug.
> >
> > Status in Checkbox System Testing: Fix Released
> > Status in “checkbox” source package in Ubuntu: Fix Released
> >
> > Bug description:
> > Binary package hint: checkbox
> >
> > just tried to run system testing after latest juanty upgrade, and it
> > crashed
> >
> > ProblemType: Crash
> > Architecture: i386
> > DistroRelease: Ubuntu 9.04
> > ExecutablePath: /usr/share/checkbox/run
> > InterpreterPath: /usr/bin/python2.6
> > Package: checkbox 0.7
> > PackageArchitecture: all
> > ProcCmdline: python /usr/share/checkbox/run
> > /usr/share/checkbox/configs/checkbox-gtk.ini
> > ProcEnviron:
> > SHELL=/bin/bash
> > LANG=en_US.UTF-8
> > PythonArgs: ['/usr/share/checkbox/run',
> > '/usr/share/checkbox/configs/checkbox-gtk.ini']
> > SourcePackage: checkbox
> > Title: run crashed with DBusException in call_blocking()
> > Uname: Linux 2.6.28-10-generic i686
> > UserGroups: adm admin cdrom dialout lpadmin plugdev sambashare
> >
>
> --
> run crashed with DBusException in call_blocking()
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/344916
> You received this bug notification because you are a direct subscriber
> of a duplicate bug.
>
> Status in Checkbox System Testing: Fix Released
> Status in “checkbox” source package in Ubuntu: Fix Released
>
> Bug description:
> Binary package hint: checkbox
>
> just tried to run system testing after latest juanty upgrade, and it
> crashed
>
> ProblemType: Crash
> Architecture: i386
> DistroRelease: Ubuntu 9.04
> ExecutablePath: /usr/share/checkbox/run
> InterpreterPath: /usr/bin/python2.6
> Package: checkbox 0.7
> PackageArchitecture: all
> ProcCmdline: python /usr/share/checkbox/run
> /usr/share/checkbox/configs/checkbox-gtk.ini
> ProcEnviron:
> SHELL=/bin/bash
> LANG=en_US.UTF-8
> PythonArgs: ['/usr/share/checkbox/run',
> '/usr/share/checkbox/configs/checkbox-gtk.ini']
> SourcePackage: checkbox
> Title: run crashed with DBusException in call_blocking()
> Uname: Linux 2.6.28-10-generic i686
> UserGroups: adm admin cdrom dialout lpadmin plugdev sambashare
>

Steven Acres (swa) wrote :

Re-installing and hand-editing the checkbox.ini config is a viable and working solution.
Cheers!

Jordy Dickinson (jordy-d) wrote :

Wow, the entire Ubuntu community must be subscribed to this page. O.o

mickey (mickey-rose-trees) wrote :

Replaced file...now works fine. thanks.

Hello

Thanks alot all of you. I have re-installed checkbox, and now can use
"system testing".
Keep up the goodwork.

Good day

On Fri, Apr 10, 2009 at 10:40 PM, mickey <email address hidden> wrote:

> Replaced file...now works fine. thanks.
>
> --
> run crashed with DBusException in call_blocking()
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/344916
> You received this bug notification because you are a direct subscriber
> of a duplicate bug.
>

--
aTs

David Wing (dave-penguinway) wrote :

I just upgraded to Jaunty today and I had the same problem with System Testing crashing. It would only run if I ran it as root from the command line. I replaced the /etc/checkbox.d/checkbox.ini file with the one Dave Murphy suggested and the program works fine now. I am using x64 architecture on my PC. I guess the bad .ini file is still getting shipped with Jaunty. Here is an attachment of it.

I added the line blacklist = backend_manager to

/etc/checkbox.d/checkbox.ini and System Testing now works in Jaunty.

M

David Wing wrote:
> I just upgraded to Jaunty today and I had the same problem with System
> Testing crashing. It would only run if I ran it as root from the
> command line. I replaced the /etc/checkbox.d/checkbox.ini file with the
> one Dave Murphy suggested and the program works fine now. I am using
> x64 architecture on my PC. I guess the bad .ini file is still getting
> shipped with Jaunty. Here is an attachment of it.
>
>
> ** Attachment added: "0.1-0ubuntu10.txt"
> http://launchpadlibrarian.net/25994165/0.1-0ubuntu10.txt
>
>

Myroslav (mgalan) wrote :

Sorry. I forgot to say that I added the line blacklist =
backend_manager in

/etc/checkbox.d/checkbox.ini

under the item [checkbox/plugins]

M

David Wing wrote:
> I just upgraded to Jaunty today and I had the same problem with System
> Testing crashing. It would only run if I ran it as root from the
> command line. I replaced the /etc/checkbox.d/checkbox.ini file with the
> one Dave Murphy suggested and the program works fine now. I am using
> x64 architecture on my PC. I guess the bad .ini file is still getting
> shipped with Jaunty. Here is an attachment of it.
>
>
> ** Attachment added: "0.1-0ubuntu10.txt"
> http://launchpadlibrarian.net/25994165/0.1-0ubuntu10.txt
>
>

Paco Soberón (unratito) wrote :

Same here. Just upgraded to Jaunty yesterday and checkbox-gtk doesn't run as user. The version installed was 0.7.1 (which is supposed to have the fix included). I guess it works for fresh installs but not for upgrades.

For the record, workaround (including blacklist line in config file) works.

LinkedIn
------------

Bug,

I'd like to add you to my professional network on LinkedIn.

- 旭萬

旭萬 高
Student at University of Houston
Houston, Texas Area

Confirm that you know 旭萬 高
https://www.linkedin.com/e/isd/1270243140/vo4GTyKz/

------
(c) 2010, LinkedIn Corporation

Displaying first 40 and last 40 comments. View all 108 comments or add a comment.