Ubuntu

gcdmaster not built on Oneiric: breaks ubuntustudio installation with additional software

Reported by Guillem Hernandez Sola on 2011-06-01
12
This bug affects 1 person
Affects Status Importance Assigned to Milestone
cdrdao (Ubuntu)
Medium
Unassigned
Oneiric
Medium
Unassigned
ubuntustudio-meta (Ubuntu)
High
Unassigned
Oneiric
High
Unassigned

Bug Description

Binary package hint: tasksel

I was installing Ubuntu Studio Alternate selecting all the possible packages and then the installer stops.

I attached an screenshot of the missing packages.

Missing dependencies

Changed in tasksel (Ubuntu):
status: New → Confirmed
assignee: nobody → Ubuntu Studio Testers (ubuntustudio-testers)
tags: added: iso-testing
Scott Lavender (slavender) wrote :

I suspect this is because the cdrdao package is currently producing uninstallable binaries at the moment.

Changed in tasksel (Ubuntu):
importance: Undecided → Low
Jean-Baptiste Lallement (jibel) wrote :

The error is:
# apt-get install gcdmaster
[...]
The following packages have unmet dependencies:
 gcdmaster : Depends: cdrdao (= 1:1.2.3-0.1ubuntu1) but it is not going to be installed
E: Broken packages

gcdmaster dependency on cdrdao should be bumped to 1:1.2.3-0.1ubuntu2

affects: tasksel (Ubuntu) → cdrdao (Ubuntu)
Changed in cdrdao (Ubuntu):
importance: Low → Medium
status: Confirmed → Triaged
summary: - Ubuntu studio alternate i386 11.10 crashes on installation
+ bump gcdmaster dependency on cdrdao to 1:1.2.3-0.1ubuntu2
Changed in cdrdao (Ubuntu):
assignee: Ubuntu Studio Testers (ubuntustudio-testers) → nobody
tags: added: bitesize

is this bug specific to Ubuntu Studio Alternate? Because I can install cdrdao on Natty without problems. Besides, when you say to bump the version what exactly do you mean? Because in the control file the dependency on cdrdao is listed as having to be of the same version as gcdmaster.

Jean-Baptiste Lallement (jibel) wrote :

Looking closer, I think it comes from this change:

cdrdao (1:1.2.3-0.1ubuntu2) oneiric; urgency=low

  * debian/control: build without gcdmaster it's not really maintained and it
    depends on deprecated gnome libraries

That would explain why both packages are out of sync.

---
Ubuntu Bug Squad volunteer triager
http://wiki.ubuntu.com/BugSquad

summary: - bump gcdmaster dependency on cdrdao to 1:1.2.3-0.1ubuntu2
+ gcdmaster not built on Oneiric: breaks ubuntustudio installation with
+ additional software
Changed in ubuntustudio-meta (Ubuntu Oneiric):
status: New → Triaged
importance: Undecided → High
falkTX (falk-t-j) wrote :

why not simply just use brasero?
it's the default cd tool in Ubuntu, so it has great support, and it's still a gtk app.

On Fri, Jun 10, 2011 at 1:49 PM, falkTX <email address hidden> wrote:

> why not simply just use brasero?
> it's the default cd tool in Ubuntu, so it has great support, and it's still
> a gtk app.
>

GCDmaster allows for burning exports from ardour with TOC... if you want to
have tracks fade or overlap... brasero has no way of doing this AFAIK

>
> --
> You received this bug notification because you are subscribed to the bug
> report.
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/791467
>
> Title:
> gcdmaster not built on Oneiric: breaks ubuntustudio installation with
> additional software
>
> Status in “cdrdao” package in Ubuntu:
> Triaged
> Status in “ubuntustudio-meta” package in Ubuntu:
> Triaged
> Status in “cdrdao” source package in Oneiric:
> Triaged
> Status in “ubuntustudio-meta” source package in Oneiric:
> Triaged
>
> Bug description:
> Binary package hint: tasksel
>
> I was installing Ubuntu Studio Alternate selecting all the possible
> packages and then the installer stops.
>
> I attached an screenshot of the missing packages.
>
> To manage notifications about this bug go to:
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/cdrdao/+bug/791467/+subscriptions
>

--
MH

http://opensourcemusician.libsyn.com/
http://wnclug.ourproject.org/

falkTX (falk-t-j) wrote :

How can a cd/dvd burner app not support TOC?

I just checked brasero on natty, has it can burn TOC files... or I am missing something here?

tags: added: rls-mgr-o-tracking
Michael Terry (mterry) wrote :

gcdmaster was removed from Ubuntu Studio a while ago:

ubuntustudio-meta (0.84) oneiric; urgency=low

  * update.cfg: Move to oneiric
  * Refreshed dependencies
  * Added libnotify-bin to desktop
  * Removed gcdmaster from generation, recording
  * Removed padevchooser from desktop-recommends
  * Removed smbclient from desktop

 -- Luke Yelavich <email address hidden> Fri, 10 Jun 2011 09:56:21 +1000

Changed in ubuntustudio-meta (Ubuntu Oneiric):
status: Triaged → Fix Released
Michael Terry (mterry) wrote :

I don't believe there's anything to do from cdrdao's perspective? gcdmaster was removed on purpose.

Changed in cdrdao (Ubuntu Oneiric):
status: Triaged → Invalid
Michael Terry (mterry) wrote :

(note that brasero is in the meta package, in the video category)

Scott Lavender (slavender) wrote :

Michael,

Perhaps my perception is unclear and I am misunderstanding your logical statements. But please allow my simple statements.

gcdmaster was removed from the Ubuntu Studio seeds because it was not available in the oneiric repositories.

Ubuntu Studio desires gcdmaster's inclusion.

Brasero is not a desired alternative as gcdmaster affords additional functionality.

We (Ubuntu Studio) still need to address this issue in the generation/recording seeds (i.e. brasero in the video seed does not resolve this issue).

I wanted to explicitly state these because your comments seemed to intimate that we removed gcdmaster from the seeds and no additional action is required because this was done on purpose. This seems to imply that the removal of gcdmaster from the seeds was a catalyst to other effects when gcdmaster's exclusion in the repos was the catalyst for the removal from the seeds. This might be a small matter, but I wanted to clarify.

Thank you.

^rooker (rooker) wrote :

For the sake of completeness I wanted to add that gcdmaster is a very valuable tool for audio CD mastering, because it provides means of generating a valid TOC.

Even HowTos how to create a production-facility-safe audio master rely on gcdmaster:
http://www.xbloome.com/drupal/howto/toc_cd_master

I think it's about time to find maintainers for gcdmaster! :)

Janne Jokitalo (astraljava) wrote :

https://launchpad.net/gcdmaster-gtk3

Please help if you can.

To post a comment you must log in.
This report contains Public information  Edit
Everyone can see this information.

Other bug subscribers