[needs-packaging] [upgrade] Please update ccrypt to version 1.9

Bug #484618 reported by zippidy_josh
14
This bug affects 2 people
Affects Status Importance Assigned to Milestone
ccrypt (Debian)
Fix Released
Unknown
ccrypt (Ubuntu)
Undecided
Unassigned

Bug Description

The current version of ccrypt in karmic and lucid is version 1.7, from a few years ago.
It has a bug in which it asks for a user's password too many times. This was fixed in version 1.8.
Is it possible to update ccrypt to a newer version to pick up this fix?
Thanks,
Josh

Revision history for this message
Xavier Guillot (valeryan-24) wrote :

I agree with this demand.

Version 1.9 of ccrypt, from August 28, 2009, had this new improvements : compilation errors on several platforms have been fixed, including Mac OSX, Ubuntu, FreeBSD, and Solaris 10.

Version 1.8 : Added a new --keyref option to avoid double password prompt. Added a new exit code in case the key was not entered or not found. Added internationalization support and German and French translations. Fixed minor bugs in user interface. Improved portability and testing.

For the moment, in Debian unstable, it is still in 1.7-11 but it would be great that Ubuntu updates this package if possible.

Revision history for this message
Xavier Guillot (valeryan-24) wrote :

[needs-packaging] [upgrade]

I've also submitted this demand of upgrade to debian via <email address hidden>

Thanks.

summary: - Please update ccrypt to version 1.8 or 1.9
+ [needs-packaging] [upgrade] Please update ccrypt to version 1.9
tags: added: upgrade-software-version
Changed in ccrypt (Debian):
status: Unknown → New
Revision history for this message
era (era) wrote :

In order for this to happen, somebody should formalize this into a proper sync request.
See https://wiki.ubuntu.com/SyncRequestProcess for instructions.

Revision history for this message
era (era) wrote :

Oops, of course, 1.8 or 1.9 needs to be available in Debian before that can happen. If the upstream maintainer is unresponsive, perhaps you could work on an NMU.

Revision history for this message
Chris Vanden Berghe (chris-vandenberghe-org) wrote : Re: [Bug 484618] Re: [needs-packaging] [upgrade] Please update ccrypt to version 1.9

Hi all,

I agree that an upgrade of ccrypt is long overdue.

I have yesterday tried to build the 1.9 package (based on the 1.7
package) but unfortunately the build fails during the configure step.
Not sure why yet but it basically fails at the build system type check.
Any help welcome.

I have also asked the upstream maintainer to comment on the name clash.

Rgds,
Chris.

Revision history for this message
era (era) wrote :

(For the record, Chris is the upstream Debian package maintainer. I puzzled over his comment for a while until I discovered this.)

Chris: do you have a public repo of your packaging attempt and/or a pastebin of the configuration error somewhere?

What's this about a name clash?

Revision history for this message
zippidy_josh (redstone) wrote : Re: [Bug 484618] Re: [needs-packaging] [upgrade] Please update ccrypt to version 1.9

Any update on this?

On Thu, May 26, 2011 at 4:26 AM, era <email address hidden> wrote:

> (For the record, Chris is the upstream Debian package maintainer. I
> puzzled over his comment for a while until I discovered this.)
>
> Chris: do you have a public repo of your packaging attempt and/or a
> pastebin of the configuration error somewhere?
>
> What's this about a name clash?
>
> --
> You received this bug notification because you are a direct subscriber
> of the bug.
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/484618
>
> Title:
> [needs-packaging] [upgrade] Please update ccrypt to version 1.9
>
> Status in “ccrypt” package in Ubuntu:
> New
> Status in “ccrypt” package in Debian:
> New
>
> Bug description:
> The current version of ccrypt in karmic and lucid is version 1.7, from a
> few years ago.
> It has a bug in which it asks for a user's password too many times. This
> was fixed in version 1.8.
> Is it possible to update ccrypt to a newer version to pick up this fix?
> Thanks,
> Josh
>
> To unsubscribe from this bug, go to:
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/ccrypt/+bug/484618/+subscribe
>

--
Josh

Revision history for this message
Chris Vanden Berghe (chris-vandenberghe-org) wrote :

I uploaded a new version to Debian a while back:
http://packages.debian.org/sid/ccrypt. There are still some issues
with the Emacs integration that need fixing.

---
Quoting zippidy_josh <email address hidden>:

> Any update on this?
>
> On Thu, May 26, 2011 at 4:26 AM, era <email address hidden> wrote:
>
>> (For the record, Chris is the upstream Debian package maintainer. I
>> puzzled over his comment for a while until I discovered this.)
>>
>> Chris: do you have a public repo of your packaging attempt and/or a
>> pastebin of the configuration error somewhere?
>>
>> What's this about a name clash?
>>
>> --
>> You received this bug notification because you are a direct subscriber
>> of the bug.
>> https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/484618
>>
>> Title:
>> [needs-packaging] [upgrade] Please update ccrypt to version 1.9
>>
>> Status in “ccrypt” package in Ubuntu:
>> New
>> Status in “ccrypt” package in Debian:
>> New
>>
>> Bug description:
>> The current version of ccrypt in karmic and lucid is version 1.7, from a
>> few years ago.
>> It has a bug in which it asks for a user's password too many times. This
>> was fixed in version 1.8.
>> Is it possible to update ccrypt to a newer version to pick up this fix?
>> Thanks,
>> Josh
>>
>> To unsubscribe from this bug, go to:
>> https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/ccrypt/+bug/484618/+subscribe
>>
>
>
> --
> Josh
>
> --
> You received this bug notification because you are subscribed to the bug
> report.
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/484618
>
> Title:
> [needs-packaging] [upgrade] Please update ccrypt to version 1.9
>
> To manage notifications about this bug go to:
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/ccrypt/+bug/484618/+subscriptions
>

Revision history for this message
zippidy_josh (redstone) wrote :

Is the ccrypt author available to help with the emacs stuff?
Josh

On Tue, Jul 19, 2011 at 6:11 AM, Chris Vanden Berghe <
<email address hidden>> wrote:

> I uploaded a new version to Debian a while back:
> http://packages.debian.org/sid/ccrypt. There are still some issues
> with the Emacs integration that need fixing.
>
> ---
> Quoting zippidy_josh <email address hidden>:
>
> > Any update on this?
> >
> > On Thu, May 26, 2011 at 4:26 AM, era <email address hidden> wrote:
> >
> >> (For the record, Chris is the upstream Debian package maintainer. I
> >> puzzled over his comment for a while until I discovered this.)
> >>
> >> Chris: do you have a public repo of your packaging attempt and/or a
> >> pastebin of the configuration error somewhere?
> >>
> >> What's this about a name clash?
> >>
> >> --
> >> You received this bug notification because you are a direct subscriber
> >> of the bug.
> >> https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/484618
> >>
> >> Title:
> >> [needs-packaging] [upgrade] Please update ccrypt to version 1.9
> >>
> >> Status in “ccrypt” package in Ubuntu:
> >> New
> >> Status in “ccrypt” package in Debian:
> >> New
> >>
> >> Bug description:
> >> The current version of ccrypt in karmic and lucid is version 1.7, from
> a
> >> few years ago.
> >> It has a bug in which it asks for a user's password too many times.
> This
> >> was fixed in version 1.8.
> >> Is it possible to update ccrypt to a newer version to pick up this fix?
> >> Thanks,
> >> Josh
> >>
> >> To unsubscribe from this bug, go to:
> >> https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/ccrypt/+bug/484618/+subscribe
> >>
> >
> >
> > --
> > Josh
> >
> > --
> > You received this bug notification because you are subscribed to the bug
> > report.
> > https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/484618
> >
> > Title:
> > [needs-packaging] [upgrade] Please update ccrypt to version 1.9
> >
> > To manage notifications about this bug go to:
> >
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/ccrypt/+bug/484618/+subscriptions
> >
>
> --
> You received this bug notification because you are subscribed to the bug
> report.
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/484618
>
> Title:
> [needs-packaging] [upgrade] Please update ccrypt to version 1.9
>
> Status in “ccrypt” package in Ubuntu:
> New
> Status in “ccrypt” package in Debian:
> New
>
> Bug description:
> The current version of ccrypt in karmic and lucid is version 1.7, from a
> few years ago.
> It has a bug in which it asks for a user's password too many times. This
> was fixed in version 1.8.
> Is it possible to update ccrypt to a newer version to pick up this fix?
> Thanks,
> Josh
>
> To manage notifications about this bug go to:
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/ccrypt/+bug/484618/+subscriptions
>

--
Josh

Revision history for this message
Jean-Louis Dupond (dupondje) wrote :

Oneiric has version 1.9 now. This bug seems to be fixed then.

Changed in ccrypt (Ubuntu):
status: New → Fix Released
Revision history for this message
zippidy_josh (redstone) wrote :

Great!

On Thu, Jul 21, 2011 at 11:43 AM, Jean-Louis Dupond <email address hidden>wrote:

> Oneiric has version 1.9 now. This bug seems to be fixed then.
>
> ** Changed in: ccrypt (Ubuntu)
> Status: New => Fix Released
>
> --
> You received this bug notification because you are subscribed to the bug
> report.
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/484618
>
> Title:
> [needs-packaging] [upgrade] Please update ccrypt to version 1.9
>
> Status in “ccrypt” package in Ubuntu:
> Fix Released
> Status in “ccrypt” package in Debian:
> New
>
> Bug description:
> The current version of ccrypt in karmic and lucid is version 1.7, from a
> few years ago.
> It has a bug in which it asks for a user's password too many times. This
> was fixed in version 1.8.
> Is it possible to update ccrypt to a newer version to pick up this fix?
> Thanks,
> Josh
>
> To manage notifications about this bug go to:
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/ccrypt/+bug/484618/+subscriptions
>

--
Josh

Changed in ccrypt (Debian):
status: New → Fix Released
To post a comment you must log in.
This report contains Public information  Edit
Everyone can see this information.

Other bug subscribers

Related questions

Remote bug watches

Bug watches keep track of this bug in other bug trackers.