Catfish does not find files whose size exceeds 2GB

Bug #1442559 reported by Manuel on 2015-04-10
8
This bug affects 1 person
Affects Status Importance Assigned to Milestone
Catfish
Fix Released
Undecided
Sean Davis
catfish (Ubuntu)
Undecided
Unassigned

Bug Description

Files with size greater or equal to 2GB produces a python exception that prevents the file from appearing in the results window.

Steps to reproduce:
1) Create two files, 1GB and 2GB in size respectively, with a common name pattern:
$truncate -s 1G file.1gb && truncate -s 2G file.2gb

2) Open catfish and search for pattern in directory (press Enter on opened window to start the search):
$catfish --verbose --path="$PWD" file

Both file.1gb and file.2gb should appear in results window. Instead, only file.1gb appears and two python overflow exceptions are printed to console window:

OverflowError: Python int too large to convert to C long

ProblemType: Bug
DistroRelease: Ubuntu 14.04
Package: catfish 1.0.2-2
ProcVersionSignature: Ubuntu 3.16.0-34.45~14.04.1-generic 3.16.7-ckt8
Uname: Linux 3.16.0-34-generic i686
ApportVersion: 2.14.1-0ubuntu3.8
Architecture: i386
Date: Fri Apr 10 11:35:08 2015
InstallationDate: Installed on 2015-03-25 (16 days ago)
InstallationMedia: Xubuntu 14.04.2 LTS "Trusty Tahr" - Release i386 (20150218.1)
PackageArchitecture: all
SourcePackage: catfish
UpgradeStatus: No upgrade log present (probably fresh install)

Manuel (loloh) wrote :
Elfy (elfy) on 2015-04-10
tags: added: vivid
Manuel (loloh) wrote :

Changing size type from long to int64 gets things working, not sure if it's the right thing to do.

Elfy (elfy) wrote :

Do you not see them if you just open catfish to search?

In vivid - I do get the fail to see the file once catfish opens from the command.

However, opening catfish and then searching, file is found.

Elfy,

You need to press Enter on the text box to start the search. It really does
not matter if you run catfish from the command line or not.

Note that I'm running a 32-bit system. Since this error is related to
integer size, you may not hit it on 64 bit systems, but I can't assure that.

2015-04-10 12:35 GMT+02:00 Elfy <email address hidden>:

> Do you not see them if you just open catfish to search?
>
> In vivid - I do get the fail to see the file once catfish opens from the
> command.
>
> However, opening catfish and then searching, file is found.
>
> ** Attachment added: "catfish"
>
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/catfish/+bug/1442559/+attachment/4371365/+files/catfish
>
> --
> You received this bug notification because you are subscribed to the bug
> report.
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/1442559
>
> Title:
> Catfish does not find files whose size exceeds 2GB
>
> Status in catfish package in Ubuntu:
> New
>
> Bug description:
> Files with size greater or equal to 2GB produces a python exception
> that prevents the file from appearing in the results window.
>
> Steps to reproduce:
> 1) Create two files, 1GB and 2GB in size respectively, with a common
> name pattern:
> $truncate -s 1G file.1gb && truncate -s 2G file.2gb
>
> 2) Open catfish and search for 'file' in that directory:
> $catfish --verbose --path=$PWD file
>
> Both file.1gb and file.2gb should appear in results window. Instead,
> only file.1gb appears and two python overflow exceptions are printed
> to console window:
>
> OverflowError: Python int too large to convert to C long
>
> ProblemType: Bug
> DistroRelease: Ubuntu 14.04
> Package: catfish 1.0.2-2
> ProcVersionSignature: Ubuntu 3.16.0-34.45~14.04.1-generic 3.16.7-ckt8
> Uname: Linux 3.16.0-34-generic i686
> ApportVersion: 2.14.1-0ubuntu3.8
> Architecture: i386
> Date: Fri Apr 10 11:35:08 2015
> InstallationDate: Installed on 2015-03-25 (16 days ago)
> InstallationMedia: Xubuntu 14.04.2 LTS "Trusty Tahr" - Release i386
> (20150218.1)
> PackageArchitecture: all
> SourcePackage: catfish
> UpgradeStatus: No upgrade log present (probably fresh install)
>
> To manage notifications about this bug go to:
>
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/catfish/+bug/1442559/+subscriptions
>

Manuel (loloh) on 2015-04-10
description: updated
Manuel (loloh) wrote :

I can confirm that this does NOT affect Ubuntu x86_64

The attachment "fix-size-overflow-exception.patch" seems to be a patch. If it isn't, please remove the "patch" flag from the attachment, remove the "patch" tag, and if you are a member of the ~ubuntu-reviewers, unsubscribe the team.

[This is an automated message performed by a Launchpad user owned by ~brian-murray, for any issues please contact him.]

tags: added: patch
Sean Davis (bluesabre) wrote :

Tested your patch in Ubuntu x86_64 and was able to find a 6.7GB file. Since it works for you and did not negatively impact here, applied the patch: https://bazaar.launchpad.net/~catfish-search/catfish-search/trunk/revision/386

Changed in catfish-search:
status: New → Fix Committed
milestone: none → 1.3.1
assignee: nobody → Sean Davis (bluesabre)
Sean Davis (bluesabre) on 2015-09-09
Changed in catfish-search:
status: Fix Committed → Fix Released
Launchpad Janitor (janitor) wrote :

This bug was fixed in the package catfish - 1.3.1-0ubuntu1

---------------
catfish (1.3.1-0ubuntu1) wily; urgency=medium

  * New upstream bugfix release
    - Fix: authentication in livesession accepts any
      value as password (LP: #1395720)
    - Fix: Catfish will lock up if 'locate' is not
      installed (LP: #1482919)
    - Fix: Catfish does not find files whose size
      exceeds 2GB (LP: #1442559)

 -- Sean Davis <email address hidden> Tue, 08 Sep 2015 20:54:13 -0400

Changed in catfish (Ubuntu):
status: New → Fix Released
To post a comment you must log in.
This report contains Public information  Edit
Everyone can see this information.

Other bug subscribers