Bind is not configured correctly on upgrade (resolvconf integration)

Bug #996088 reported by Steve Conklin
This bug affects 7 people
Affects Status Importance Assigned to Milestone
bind9 (Ubuntu)

Bug Description

On an upgrade to Precise, bind was not correctly reconfigured, resulting in a failure to resolve domain names.

Solution was to dpkg-reconfigure the bind9 package, and turn off resolvconf integration which was left on on upgrade.

ProblemType: Bug
DistroRelease: Ubuntu 12.04
Package: bind9 1:9.8.1.dfsg.P1-4
ProcVersionSignature: Ubuntu 3.2.0-24.37-generic-pae 3.2.14
Uname: Linux 3.2.0-24-generic-pae i686
ApportVersion: 2.0.1-0ubuntu7
Architecture: i386
Date: Mon May 7 11:03:12 2012
EcryptfsInUse: Yes
InstallationMedia: Ubuntu 11.10 "Oneiric Ocelot" - Release i386 (20111011)
 PATH=(custom, user)
 bind9utils 1:9.8.1.dfsg.P1-4
 apparmor 2.7.102-0ubuntu3
SourcePackage: bind9
UpgradeStatus: Upgraded to precise on 2012-01-03 (125 days ago)
modified.conffile..etc.bind.named.conf.options: [modified]
mtime.conffile..etc.bind.named.conf.options: 2012-03-11T22:48:21.929661

Revision history for this message
Steve Conklin (sconklin) wrote :
Steve Langasek (vorlon)
description: updated
Revision history for this message
Steve Langasek (vorlon) wrote :

LaMont, this is related to bug #933723; we've turned resolvconf integration off by default, but in the upgrade case it's still on, which causes problems now that resolvconf is installed by default. Could we include a one-time upgrade check when upgrading to the version in 12.04 that checks whether the resolvconf debconf question has been seen, and if it hasn't been (i.e. we're using the automatic default), to turn off resolvconf integration on upgrade?

Scott Moser (smoser)
Changed in bind9 (Ubuntu):
importance: Undecided → Medium
status: New → Confirmed
Steve Langasek (vorlon)
summary: - Bind is not configured correctly on upgrade
+ Bind is not configured correctly on upgrade (resolvconf integration)
Revision history for this message
Grandswiss (joerg-straube) wrote :

My "named.conf" looked like this:
  include "/etc/bind/named.conf.options";
  include "/etc/bind/named.conf.local";
  include "/etc/bind/named.conf.default-zones";

I changed it statically to:
  include "/var/run/bind/named.options";
  include "/etc/bind/named.conf.local";
  include "/etc/bind/named.conf.default-zones";

Even better would be, to select the right include based on info in "/etc/default/bind"

To post a comment you must log in.
This report contains Public information  
Everyone can see this information.

Duplicates of this bug

Other bug subscribers