Ubuntu

strange bahavior on directory completion with bash built-in commands

Reported by Mingming Ren on 2011-02-09
192
This bug affects 39 people
Affects Status Importance Assigned to Milestone
Partner Packaging
Undecided
Unassigned
bash-completion (Ubuntu)
High
Unassigned

Bug Description

Binary package hint: bash-completion

The recent upgrade of 1.3 version has a strange behavior on directory completion.
For example, with 1.2 version bash-completion,
$ ls /us
then TAB will complete with
$ ls /usr/
Then a second TAB will prompt files in the /usr/ directory.

But with 1.3 version,
$ ls /us TAB
gives
$ ls /usr
It's then impossible to prompt files in the directory.

Tobias Wolf (towolf) wrote :

This is due to changes in the 1.3 upstream version of bash-completion I think. In the diff there is some talk about dynamically toggling "-O filenames".

Chris Coulson (chrisccoulson) wrote :

This new behaviour is horrible

Changed in bash-completion (Ubuntu):
status: New → Confirmed
Changed in bash-completion (Ubuntu):
importance: Undecided → High
status: Confirmed → Triaged
Mingming Ren (portis25) wrote :

This turn out be to a bug in acroread package.
http://aur.archlinux.org/packages.php?ID=16980

The workaround is
sed -i "s/_filedir/_filedir_acroread/" /etc/bash_completion.d/acroread.sh

and it works.

Tobias Wolf (towolf) wrote :

> and it works

Indeed.

David Marín (davefx) wrote :

The workaround works properly: it is a bug in acroread package, not in bash-completion package.

Chris Coulson (chrisccoulson) wrote :

Good catch! I can confirm that if I just
drop /etc/bash_completion.d/acroread.sh, then it starts working
correctly again. I'm not sure where to assign this though, as that's
from the partner repo. I'm not sure what the correct project is there.

 affects partner-packaging
 status confirmed
 affects ubuntu/bash-completion
 status invalid

Changed in bash-completion (Ubuntu):
status: Triaged → Invalid

The sed workaround worked perfectly for me as well.

On Sun, Apr 10, 2011 at 05:09:30PM -0000, Bram Swenson wrote:
> The sed workaround worked perfectly for me as well.
---end quoted text---

Removing acroread fixed that indeed !

--
 ‎أحمد المحمودي (Ahmed El-Mahmoudy)
  Digital design engineer
 GPG KeyID: 0xEDDDA1B7
 GPG Fingerprint: 8206 A196 2084 7E6D 0DF8 B176 BC19 6A94 EDDD A1B7

Ktron (kevin-hamer) wrote :

I also suffered from this bug, and after some discussion in #bash and #ubuntu+1, figured out the right search terms to figure this out.

The sed workaround works fine here.

Dan Joakim Eiworth (jeiworth) wrote :

I also had the same problem, confirming that the sed workaround works fine.

frankie (frankie-etsetb) wrote :

apt-get remove adobereader-enu solved it for me.

belltoy (belltoy) wrote :

My system was installed from beta2 livecd.
But I don't have /etc/bash_completion.d/acroread.sh, and I didn't install adobereader-enu package either.

What can I do to fix the problem?

Tks

Mingming Ren (portis25) wrote :

It has been fixed in the latest acroread:

acroread (9.4.2-0natty1) natty; urgency=low

  * Not allowing the autocompletion script to redefine _filedir as it was
    causing problems with the proper autocompeltion of dirs (LP: #752193)

belltoy (belltoy) wrote :

Sorry, it do has been fixed.
I got this issue because I add a third-party completion script.

Philippe Mermod (h-philippe) wrote :

Hi, same problem, which reading this trend I realise appeared just after I installed acrobat reader. The sed workaround + rebooting made the job. Thanks!

To post a comment you must log in.
This report contains Public information  Edit
Everyone can see this information.

Other bug subscribers