Ubuntu

Banshee is uninstallable due to broken depends

Reported by Phillip Susi on 2012-12-19
14
This bug affects 3 people
Affects Status Importance Assigned to Milestone
banshee (Ubuntu)
High
Unassigned

Bug Description

Package can not be installed due to listing several incorrect dependencies. It lists libc6 twice, once with the correct version, and again with version >= 2.7, which does not exist. Most of its listed depends do not appear to exist.

On 19/12/2012 12:20, Phillip Susi wrote:
> Public bug reported:
>
> Package can not be installed due to listing several incorrect
> dependencies. It lists libc6 twice, once with the correct version, and
> again with version >= 2.7, which does not exist. Most of its listed
> depends do not appear to exist.
>
> ** Affects: banshee (Ubuntu)
> Importance: Undecided
> Status: New
>

Which version of Ubuntu is this, and where are you installing Banshee from?

Please provide the output of the following two commands:
lsb_release -r -rd
apt-cache policy banshee

  status incomplete

--
Kind regards,
Loong Jin

Changed in banshee (Ubuntu):
status: New → Incomplete
teranex (teranex) wrote :

I'm using 12.10 (64 bit) and when I ran `apt-get dist-upgrade` it told me Banshee had been kept back. When I removed banshee and tried to reinstall it failed:

$ sudo apt-get install banshee banshee-extension-soundmenu
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
Some packages could not be installed. This may mean that you have
requested an impossible situation or if you are using the unstable
distribution that some required packages have not yet been created
or been moved out of Incoming.
The following information may help to resolve the situation:

The following packages have unmet dependencies:
 banshee : Depends: libglib2.0-0 (>= 2.34.1) but 2.34.0-1ubuntu1 is to be installed
E: Unable to correct problems, you have held broken packages.

lopho (lopho) wrote :

Description: Ubuntu 12.10
Release: 12.10

banshee:
  Installiert: 2.6.0-1ubuntu2
  Kandidat: 2.6.0-1ubuntu2.1
  Versionstabelle:
     2.6.0-1ubuntu2.1 0
        500 http://de.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ quantal-updates/universe amd64 Packages
 *** 2.6.0-1ubuntu2 0
        500 http://de.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ quantal/universe amd64 Packages
        100 /var/lib/dpkg/status

Paketlisten werden gelesen... Fertig
Abhängigkeitsbaum wird aufgebaut
Statusinformationen werden eingelesen... Fertig
Einige Pakete konnten nicht installiert werden. Das kann bedeuten, dass
Sie eine unmögliche Situation angefordert haben oder, wenn Sie die
Unstable-Distribution verwenden, dass einige erforderliche Pakete noch
nicht erstellt wurden oder Incoming noch nicht verlassen haben.
Die folgenden Informationen helfen Ihnen vielleicht, die Situation zu lösen:

Die folgenden Pakete haben unerfüllte Abhängigkeiten:
 banshee : Hängt ab von: libglib2.0-0 (>= 2.34.1) aber 2.34.0-1ubuntu1 soll installiert werden
E: Probleme können nicht korrigiert werden, Sie haben zurückgehaltene defekte Pakete.

On 19/12/2012 21:38, Philipp Kleinhenz wrote:
> Description: Ubuntu 12.10
> Release: 12.10
>
> banshee:
> Installiert: 2.6.0-1ubuntu2
> Kandidat: 2.6.0-1ubuntu2.1
> Versionstabelle:
> 2.6.0-1ubuntu2.1 0
> 500 http://de.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ quantal-updates/universe amd64 Packages
> *** 2.6.0-1ubuntu2 0
> 500 http://de.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ quantal/universe amd64 Packages
> 100 /var/lib/dpkg/status
>
>
> Paketlisten werden gelesen... Fertig
> Abhängigkeitsbaum wird aufgebaut
> Statusinformationen werden eingelesen... Fertig
> Einige Pakete konnten nicht installiert werden. Das kann bedeuten, dass
> Sie eine unmögliche Situation angefordert haben oder, wenn Sie die
> Unstable-Distribution verwenden, dass einige erforderliche Pakete noch
> nicht erstellt wurden oder Incoming noch nicht verlassen haben.
> Die folgenden Informationen helfen Ihnen vielleicht, die Situation zu lösen:
>
> Die folgenden Pakete haben unerfüllte Abhängigkeiten:
> banshee : Hängt ab von: libglib2.0-0 (>= 2.34.1) aber 2.34.0-1ubuntu1 soll installiert werden
> E: Probleme können nicht korrigiert werden, Sie haben zurückgehaltene defekte Pakete.
>

Seems it's been fixed -- basically banshee was built against libglib2.0-0
2.34.0-1ubuntu1 which is in quantal-proposed, but banshee made its way to
-updates before libglib2.0-0, so you're seeing this issue. libglib2.0-0 should
be making its way into quantal-updates now once the mirrors are updated, so I'm
closing this bug.

  status invalid

--
Kind regards,
Loong Jin

Changed in banshee (Ubuntu):
status: Incomplete → Invalid
Phillip Susi (psusi) wrote :

12.10 and a simple glance at packages.ubuntu.com or apt-cache show would have confirmed this.

Changed in banshee (Ubuntu):
importance: Undecided → High
status: Invalid → Triaged
Chow Loong Jin (hyperair) wrote :

On 19/12/2012 22:57, Phillip Susi wrote:
> 12.10 and a simple glance at packages.ubuntu.com or apt-cache show would
> have confirmed this.

A simple glance at packages.ubuntu.com or apt-cache show libc6 would have
confirmed that libc6 >= 2.7 (2.15 to be exact) does indeed exist on Ubuntu
12.10, contrary to what you claimed in the bug description.

In fact, libc6 2.7 has been around since Ubuntu 8.04, i.e. four years ago. Your
bug description had merely led me to think that you were trying to install a
Banshee package targeted at a newer Ubuntu release on something older than Hardy.

> ** Changed in: banshee (Ubuntu)
> Importance: Undecided => High
>
> ** Changed in: banshee (Ubuntu)
> Status: Invalid => Triaged
>

As I mentioned in my previous post, the bug is:
1. Unrelated to Banshee (it was glib2.0 that hadn't been moved to
quantal-updates yet)
2. Fixed -- glib2.0 has moved to -updates, you just need to wait for your mirror
to update.

Please do not toggle the bug status again unless you have a valid reason.

  status invalid

--
Kind regards,
Loong Jin

Changed in banshee (Ubuntu):
status: Triaged → Invalid
Phillip Susi (psusi) wrote :

-----BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE-----
Hash: SHA1

On 12/19/2012 10:29 AM, Chow Loong Jin wrote:
> A simple glance at packages.ubuntu.com or apt-cache show libc6
> would have confirmed that libc6 >= 2.7 (2.15 to be exact) does
> indeed exist on Ubuntu 12.10, contrary to what you claimed in the
> bug description.

Gah, you're right... even though numerically 2.7 is greater than 2.15,
it's earlier in version numbers... I kept thinking what the hell,
that version is from the future!

-----BEGIN PGP SIGNATURE-----
Version: GnuPG v2.0.17 (MingW32)
Comment: Using GnuPG with undefined - http://www.enigmail.net/

iQEcBAEBAgAGBQJQ0eXYAAoJEJrBOlT6nu7545gIALef0Ne2eIY/jdudrIkoSjE1
/GZW0Uvq/BpAwYuGQ464HBYwPuTTSBQZKBog6Ek8/ToNpBCGqs1HqOnrNnCDTSFe
c2vGNNbg2wIwS72RYUlvUqr/kVidlAKnnZQj6PYQFfYQ2IXJ9EuiSgvFWNtpEjuq
7G5rhMkln+qFs1UgRgKw2XEPQ5ZIGCuxqbMB8VJz3MLIMENqPOihEooHXWR6OoFR
XWI985dFfx4Aqx9PJLShZTqr2ZwT0PTRnEeBsHbswSOzzSRkNR8a8FtdZEm5K+xb
K0wEDkiuPvfIG091MIQhicWDgi9wFam31zNFoq4ioBRLvKWPRu2u8Z6xWWGTGoE=
=09+k
-----END PGP SIGNATURE-----

Phillip Susi (psusi) wrote :

Technically it should be fix released since it is not installable in the quantal release pocket, and is just now being fixed in updates.

Changed in banshee (Ubuntu):
status: Invalid → Fix Released
To post a comment you must log in.
This report contains Public information  Edit
Everyone can see this information.

Other bug subscribers