Menus for some apps always displayed below the app tittlebar

Bug #1767670 reported by Patricio on 2018-04-28
6
This bug affects 1 person
Affects Status Importance Assigned to Milestone
bamf (Ubuntu)
Undecided
Unassigned
unity (Ubuntu)
Undecided
Unassigned

Bug Description

Description: Ubuntu 16.04.4 LTS
Release: 16.04

Running 16.04 & Unity on a new Dell XPS 13 9360 laptop, freshly installed. The menus for some apps (terminal, nautilus) are always shown below the app title bar. Some other apps like Chrome or gedit do show correctly at the top bar as it is supposed to considering the use of global menus.

This is weird as it does not happen for both userids configured on this machine. The other user's desktop session shows menu for all apps at the top bar using global menus correctly.

See pic. And never mind the Macbuntu theme, I just installed it to test with it, but the same behavior was experienced before I did it.

Also, on an external display I connect, the nautilus menus show up on the desktop.

If I completely wipe this userid and recreate it, menus work as expected, but over time it reoccurs. I have not been able to identify what triggers it.

Coincidentally, libreoffice will not even open for this user session, but works well for the other.

This bug seem to show a somehow similar behavior to another reported bug in the sense that it only happens for one userid session and not for the other.
see https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/bamf/+bug/1532226

I have also posted this for help in askubuntu.
https://askubuntu.com/questions/1028598/ubuntu-16-04-broken-menus-for-gtk-apps-always-displayed

Can anyone help me with the commands I should run to produce a system report for the community to analyze it?

Thanks.

Patricio (patriciov) on 2018-05-01
summary: - Menus for GTK apps always displayed below the app tittlebar
+ Menus for some apps always displayed below the app tittlebar
description: updated
description: updated
Patricio (patriciov) wrote :

I have been able to solve this.

The problem was the .profile file in the home directory of the userid. the PATH variable had a reference to a symlink in /opt. The content under the symlinked directory had 777 permissions. After changing that to something less permissive, the problem went away.

This is my PATH variable:

PATH="$HOME/bin:$HOME/.local/bin:/opt/sub3dtool:/opt/android/sdk/platform-tools:/opt/android-studio/bin:$PATH"

Then I set the symlinked directory permissions to 755:

gunner@minix:~$ ls -l /opt | grep sub3dtool
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 16 Apr 22 10:47 sub3dtool -> sub3dtool-0.4.2/
drwxr-xr-x 4 root root 4096 Apr 22 10:47 sub3dtool-0.4.2

To post a comment you must log in.
This report contains Public information  Edit
Everyone can see this information.

Other bug subscribers