Avahi services are not updated
Avahi-daemon discovers services when they become available in the net. When a service stops it is removed from the list of services and .local devices are no longer resolved by avahi.
What happens instead:
Avahi-daemon discovers new services only after performing a manual restart by typing 'sudo restart avahi-daemon'. Once a discovered service is stopped and thus no longer available on the net it is still resolved with a .local device name to other applications.
How to reproduce:
1. Boot the computer without the external local device (here an Apple AirportExpress) running.
2. Switch on the external local device and wait until ping to this device is possible.
3. Avahi does not resolve the .local name.
4. Type 'sudo restart avahi-daemon' in a terminal.
5. The local device will be recognized and a .local name will be resolved.
6. Switch off the device.
7. The .local name will still be resolved from the non-existent device.
8. When typing 'sudo restart avahi-daemon' again, the device disappears.
9. Switch on the external device, and then it will be discovered automatically as should
10. Switch off the external device and unfortunately it is still there.
Maybe this bug is also related to bug #116984.
DistroRelease: Ubuntu 10.04
Package: avahi-daemon 0.6.25-1ubuntu6
Uname: Linux 2.6.32-22-generic x86_64
Date: Thu May 27 10:08:32 2010
InstallationMedia: Ubuntu 9.10 "Karmic Koala" - Release amd64 (20091027)
|Changed in avahi (Ubuntu):|
|importance:||Undecided → Low|