Ubuntu

Ctrl-C doesn't work in "apt-get install flashplugin-installer"

Reported by Cheng Sheng on 2010-05-11
14
This bug affects 3 people
Affects Status Importance Assigned to Milestone
apt (Debian)
New
Unknown
apt (Ubuntu)
Medium
Unassigned

Bug Description

Binary package hint: apt

In the execution of "apt-get install flashplugin-installer", everything looks okay until it starts to download "adobe_flashplugin...tar.gz". If it fails to connect, it will retry again and again to download with wget, and Ctrl-C cannot interrupt the downloading. I tried "aptitude" too, but wget is not interruptible, either.

Interestingly, after I reboot (so that flashplugin-installer package is in the intermediate state), and when I run "dpkg --configure -a", it will go on the installation of flashplugin-installer by downloading "adobe...tar.gz" file. But "dpkg" CAN be interrupted by Ctrl-C.

******* 1. Release *******
10.04 LTS

******* 2. Package Versions *******
apt 0.7.25.3ubuntu7
aptitude 0.4.11.11-1ubuntu10
wget 1.12-1.1ubuntu2
flashplugin-installer 10.0.45.2ubuntu1

******* 3. What you expected to happen *******
When I press "Ctrl-C", "apt-get" should be interrupted.

******* 4. What happened instead *******
It's not interrupted when it's downloading with wget.

ProblemType: Bug
DistroRelease: Ubuntu 10.04
Package: apt 0.7.25.3ubuntu7
ProcVersionSignature: Ubuntu 2.6.32-22.33-generic 2.6.32.11+drm33.2
Uname: Linux 2.6.32-22-generic i686
Architecture: i386
Date: Tue May 11 11:26:19 2010
InstallationMedia: Ubuntu 10.04 "Lucid Lynx" - Release Candidate i386 (20100419.1)
ProcEnviron:
 PATH=(custom, user)
 LANG=en_HK.utf8
 SHELL=/bin/bash
SourcePackage: apt

Cheng Sheng (jeru-sheng) wrote :

Thank you for taking the time to report this bug and helping to make Ubuntu better. Unfortunately, we cannot work on this bug because your description didn't include enough information.

At a minimum, we need:
 * the specific steps or actions you took that caused you to encounter the problem
 * Please explain as simple and clear as possible how we can reproduce this issue.
 * Is wget interruptible with Ctrl+C normally?
Thanks!

Changed in apt (Ubuntu):
status: New → Incomplete

1. Ensure flashplugin-installer is not installed yet (so I use "apt-get
remove" to remove it).
2. Install it with "apt-get install flashplugin-installer".
3. When it's downloading "adobe-flashplugin_xx.xx.xx.orig.tar.gz" with wget,
try Ctrl-C (hope your network speed is not that fast so that you have a
chance to press Ctrl-C before it finishes downloading).

In fact, this bug is annoying to those users behind a firewall. When he/she
doesn't set a proxy correctly for wget, the wget will be stuck there
retrying connections, and Ctrl-C doesn't work here.

On Fri, Sep 10, 2010 at 2:14 AM, Charlie Kravetz <email address hidden>wrote:

> Thank you for taking the time to report this bug and helping to make
> Ubuntu better. Unfortunately, we cannot work on this bug because your
> description didn't include enough information.
>
> At a minimum, we need:
> * the specific steps or actions you took that caused you to encounter the
> problem
> * Please explain as simple and clear as possible how we can reproduce this
> issue.
> * Is wget interruptible with Ctrl+C normally?
> Thanks!
>
> ** Changed in: apt (Ubuntu)
> Status: New => Incomplete
>
> --
> Ctrl-C doesn't work in "apt-get install flashplugin-installer"
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/578625
> You received this bug notification because you are a direct subscriber
> of the bug.
>
> Status in “apt” package in Ubuntu: Incomplete
>
> Bug description:
> Binary package hint: apt
>
> In the execution of "apt-get install flashplugin-installer", everything
> looks okay until it starts to download "adobe_flashplugin...tar.gz". If it
> fails to connect, it will retry again and again to download with wget, and
> Ctrl-C cannot interrupt the downloading. I tried "aptitude" too, but wget is
> not interruptible, either.
>
> Interestingly, after I reboot (so that flashplugin-installer package is in
> the intermediate state), and when I run "dpkg --configure -a", it will go on
> the installation of flashplugin-installer by downloading "adobe...tar.gz"
> file. But "dpkg" CAN be interrupted by Ctrl-C.
>
> ******* 1. Release *******
> 10.04 LTS
>
> ******* 2. Package Versions *******
> apt 0.7.25.3ubuntu7
> aptitude 0.4.11.11-1ubuntu10
> wget 1.12-1.1ubuntu2
> flashplugin-installer 10.0.45.2ubuntu1
>
> ******* 3. What you expected to happen *******
> When I press "Ctrl-C", "apt-get" should be interrupted.
>
> ******* 4. What happened instead *******
> It's not interrupted when it's downloading with wget.
>
> ProblemType: Bug
> DistroRelease: Ubuntu 10.04
> Package: apt 0.7.25.3ubuntu7
> ProcVersionSignature: Ubuntu 2.6.32-22.33-generic 2.6.32.11+drm33.2
> Uname: Linux 2.6.32-22-generic i686
> Architecture: i386
> Date: Tue May 11 11:26:19 2010
> InstallationMedia: Ubuntu 10.04 "Lucid Lynx" - Release Candidate i386
> (20100419.1)
> ProcEnviron:
> PATH=(custom, user)
> LANG=en_HK.utf8
> SHELL=/bin/bash
> SourcePackage: apt
>
> To unsubscribe from this bug, go to:
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/apt/+bug/578625/+subscribe
>

 Thanks for reporting this bug and any supporting documentation. Since this bug has enough information provided for a developer to begin work, I'm going to mark it as confirmed and let them handle it from here.

Thanks to very good instructions, I am able to reproduce this issue in Maverick Meerkat. Once the download has started, it is impossible to interrupt until it completes. If I changed my mind or did not know it would download the file, it is not possible to stop it. Since I installed a single application, there is no verification needed. This could get expensive for bandwidth depending on where the individual is.

Thanks for taking the time to make Ubuntu better!

Changed in apt (Ubuntu):
importance: Undecided → Medium
status: Incomplete → Triaged
Changed in apt (Debian):
status: Unknown → New
To post a comment you must log in.
This report contains Public information  Edit
Everyone can see this information.

Other bug subscribers

Remote bug watches

Bug watches keep track of this bug in other bug trackers.