fwupd fails to refresh because of badly encoded data

Bug #1780520 reported by François Marier on 2018-07-07
28
This bug affects 5 people
Affects Status Importance Assigned to Milestone
appstream-glib (Ubuntu)
Undecided
Unassigned

Bug Description

I see the following in my logs several times a day:

  Jul 5 20:35:45 hostname fwupd[14510]: (fwupd:14510): Fu-WARNING **: FuMain: failed to load AppStream data: Failed to parse
/var/cache/app-info/xmls/fwupd.xml file: Erreur à la ligne 265 : L’entité ne se termine pas par un point-virgule ; vous avez probablement
utilisé une esperluette sans intention d’écrire une entité — échappez l’esperluette avec &
  Jul 5 20:36:07 hostname dbus[1044]: [system] Failed to activate service 'org.freedesktop.fwupd': timed out

and I get the following message when I run `apt update`:

  Réception de:18 http://security.ubuntu.com/ubuntu xenial-security/main amd64 DEP-11 Metadata [67,7 kB]
  Réception de:19 http://security.ubuntu.com/ubuntu xenial-security/main DEP-11 64x64 Icons [68,0 kB]
  Réception de:20 http://security.ubuntu.com/ubuntu xenial-security/universe amd64 DEP-11 Metadata [107 kB]
  Réception de:21 http://security.ubuntu.com/ubuntu xenial-security/universe DEP-11 64x64 Icons [142 kB]
  1 841 ko réceptionnés en 1s (1 128 ko/s)
  AppStream cache update completed, but some metadata was ignored due to errors.

According to the fwupd author, this is a problem ib appstream-glib and the fix should be backported in 16.04:

  https://github.com/hughsie/fwupd/issues/565#issuecomment-402541089

Launchpad Janitor (janitor) wrote :

Status changed to 'Confirmed' because the bug affects multiple users.

Changed in appstream-glib (Ubuntu):
status: New → Confirmed
Changed in appstream-glib (Ubuntu):
status: Confirmed → Invalid
status: Invalid → Confirmed
François Marier (fmarier) wrote :

I have uploaded a fixed package to my PPA: https://launchpad.net/~fmarier/+archive/ubuntu/ppa?field.series_filter=xenial

Here's how I fixed the problem:

1. upgrade the appstream-glib package to the one in my PPA
2. delete /var/cache/app-info/xmls/fwupd.xml
3. run `fwupdmgr refresh` as root to re-download the XML file

François Marier (fmarier) wrote :

The only change I made to the package is to drop the attached patch into debian/patches.

It consists simply of the commit referenced by upstream: https://github.com/hughsie/appstream-glib/commit/6048520484101df5d33f3c852c10640e630d20cf

without the tests since they didn't applied cleanly.

description: updated

The attachment "06_ampersand_in_attribute_values.patch" seems to be a patch. If it isn't, please remove the "patch" flag from the attachment, remove the "patch" tag, and if you are a member of the ~ubuntu-reviewers, unsubscribe the team.

[This is an automated message performed by a Launchpad user owned by ~brian-murray, for any issues please contact him.]

tags: added: patch
Mario Limonciello (superm1) wrote :

Can you please bring that comment into the duplicate that I just made this marked as. I started SRU process in making the bug, but you can continue it there as you already have a test build and can confirm from your PPA it works etc.

To post a comment you must log in.
This report contains Public information  Edit
Everyone can see this information.

Other bug subscribers