package alsa-utils 1.0.23-2ubuntu3.3 failed to install/upgrade: subprocess installed post-installation script returned error exit status 1

Bug #664645 reported by Edward Lee on 2010-10-21
826
This bug affects 124 people
Affects Status Importance Assigned to Milestone
alsa-utils (Ubuntu)
Undecided
Unassigned
Maverick
Critical
Unassigned

Bug Description

Binary package hint: alsa-utils

Setting up alsa-utils (1.0.23-2ubuntu3.3) ...
dpkg: error processing alsa-utils (--configure):
 subprocess installed post-installation script returned error exit status 1
Errors were encountered while processing:
 alsa-utils
E: Sub-process /usr/bin/dpkg returned an error code (1)

ProblemType: Package
DistroRelease: Ubuntu 10.10
Package: alsa-utils 1.0.23-2ubuntu3.3
ProcVersionSignature: Ubuntu 2.6.35-22.34~ppa1-generic-tuxonice 2.6.35.4
Uname: Linux 2.6.35-22-generic-tuxonice x86_64
Architecture: amd64
Date: Thu Oct 21 14:11:16 2010
ErrorMessage: subprocess installed post-installation script returned error exit status 1
InstallationMedia: Ubuntu 10.04 "Lucid Lynx" - Alpha amd64 (20100122)
SourcePackage: alsa-utils
Title: package alsa-utils 1.0.23-2ubuntu3.3 failed to install/upgrade: subprocess installed post-installation script returned error exit status 1

Daniel T Chen (crimsun) on 2010-10-21
Changed in alsa-utils (Ubuntu):
status: New → Confirmed
importance: Undecided → High
chrhei (chrhei) wrote :

Same here:
Linux xxxxx 2.6.35-22-generic #35-Ubuntu SMP Sat Oct 16 20:45:36 UTC 2010 x86_64 GNU/Linux

apt-get install alsa-utils --reinstall
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 1 reinstalled, 0 to remove and 0 not upgraded.
1 not fully installed or removed.
After this operation, 0B of additional disk space will be used.
Setting up alsa-utils (1.0.23-2ubuntu3.3) ...
dpkg: error processing alsa-utils (--configure):
 subprocess installed post-installation script returned error exit status 1
Errors were encountered while processing:
 alsa-utils
E: Sub-process /usr/bin/dpkg returned an error code (1)

Daniel T Chen (crimsun) on 2010-10-21
Changed in alsa-utils (Ubuntu):
importance: High → Critical
milestone: none → maverick-updates
Changed in alsa-utils (Ubuntu Maverick):
importance: Undecided → Critical
status: New → Triaged
Changed in alsa-utils (Ubuntu):
status: Confirmed → Invalid
importance: Critical → Undecided
milestone: maverick-updates → none
Changed in alsa-utils (Ubuntu Maverick):
milestone: none → maverick-updates
cherry (dev-caltech) wrote :

dpkg: error processing alsa-utils (--configure):
 subprocess installed post-installation script returned error exit status 1
Errors were encountered while processing:
 alsa-utils

Accepted into lucid-proposed, the package will build now and be available in a few hours. Please test and give feedback here. See https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Testing/EnableProposed for documentation how to enable and use -proposed. Thank you in advance!

tags: added: verification-needed
Steve Langasek (vorlon) wrote :

Scratch that last comment; a) this isn't lucid, it's maverick, and b) since this was a regression in -proposed only, the bug should be fixed now. Marking as fix released, as the binary packages should all be published within an hour.

Changed in alsa-utils (Ubuntu Maverick):
status: Triaged → Fix Released
Changed in alsa-utils (Ubuntu Maverick):
status: Fix Released → Fix Committed
status: Fix Committed → Fix Released

You guys are too bloody good

On Friday 22 October 2010 09:59:59 you wrote:
> ** Changed in: alsa-utils (Ubuntu Maverick)
> Status: Fix Released => Fix Committed
>
> ** Changed in: alsa-utils (Ubuntu Maverick)
> Status: Fix Committed => Fix Released
>
> --
> package alsa-utils 1.0.23-2ubuntu3.3 failed to install/upgrade: subprocess installed
post-installation script returned error exit status 1
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/664645
> You received this bug notification because you are a direct subscriber
> of a duplicate bug (664821).
>
> Status in “alsa-utils” package in Ubuntu: Invalid
> Status in “alsa-utils” source package in Maverick: Fix Released
>
> Bug description:
> Binary package hint: alsa-utils
>
> Setting up alsa-utils (1.0.23-2ubuntu3.3) ...
> dpkg: error processing alsa-utils (--configure):
> subprocess installed post-installation script returned error exit status 1
> Errors were encountered while processing:
> alsa-utils
> E: Sub-process /usr/bin/dpkg returned an error code (1)
>
> ProblemType: Package
> DistroRelease: Ubuntu 10.10
> Package: alsa-utils 1.0.23-2ubuntu3.3
> ProcVersionSignature: Ubuntu 2.6.35-22.34~ppa1-generic-tuxonice 2.6.35.4
> Uname: Linux 2.6.35-22-generic-tuxonice x86_64
> Architecture: amd64
> Date: Thu Oct 21 14:11:16 2010
> ErrorMessage: subprocess installed post-installation script returned error exit status 1
> InstallationMedia: Ubuntu 10.04 "Lucid Lynx" - Alpha amd64 (20100122)
> SourcePackage: alsa-utils
> Title: package alsa-utils 1.0.23-2ubuntu3.3 failed to install/upgrade: subprocess
installed post-installation script returned error exit status 1
>
> To unsubscribe from this bug, go to:
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/alsa-utils/+bug/664645/+subscribe
>

Download full text (3.6 KiB)

You guys are spectacular. Thanks.
-----Original Message-----
From: rupert <email address hidden>
Sender: <email address hidden>
Date: Thu, 21 Oct 2010 23:08:39
To: <email address hidden>
Reply-To: Bug 664645 <email address hidden>
Subject: Re: [Bug 664645] Re: package alsa-utils 1.0.23-2ubuntu3.3 failed to
 install/upgrade: subprocess installed post-installation script
 returned error exit status 1

You guys are too bloody good

On Friday 22 October 2010 09:59:59 you wrote:
> ** Changed in: alsa-utils (Ubuntu Maverick)
> Status: Fix Released => Fix Committed
>
> ** Changed in: alsa-utils (Ubuntu Maverick)
> Status: Fix Committed => Fix Released
>
> --
> package alsa-utils 1.0.23-2ubuntu3.3 failed to install/upgrade: subprocess installed
post-installation script returned error exit status 1
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/664645
> You received this bug notification because you are a direct subscriber
> of a duplicate bug (664821).
>
> Status in “alsa-utils” package in Ubuntu: Invalid
> Status in “alsa-utils” source package in Maverick: Fix Released
>
> Bug description:
> Binary package hint: alsa-utils
>
> Setting up alsa-utils (1.0.23-2ubuntu3.3) ...
> dpkg: error processing alsa-utils (--configure):
> subprocess installed post-installation script returned error exit status 1
> Errors were encountered while processing:
> alsa-utils
> E: Sub-process /usr/bin/dpkg returned an error code (1)
>
> ProblemType: Package
> DistroRelease: Ubuntu 10.10
> Package: alsa-utils 1.0.23-2ubuntu3.3
> ProcVersionSignature: Ubuntu 2.6.35-22.34~ppa1-generic-tuxonice 2.6.35.4
> Uname: Linux 2.6.35-22-generic-tuxonice x86_64
> Architecture: amd64
> Date: Thu Oct 21 14:11:16 2010
> ErrorMessage: subprocess installed post-installation script returned error exit status 1
> InstallationMedia: Ubuntu 10.04 "Lucid Lynx" - Alpha amd64 (20100122)
> SourcePackage: alsa-utils
> Title: package alsa-utils 1.0.23-2ubuntu3.3 failed to install/upgrade: subprocess
installed post-installation script returned error exit status 1
>
> To unsubscribe from this bug, go to:
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/alsa-utils/+bug/664645/+subscribe
>

--
package alsa-utils 1.0.23-2ubuntu3.3 failed to install/upgrade: subprocess installed post-installation script returned error exit status 1
https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/664645
You received this bug notification because you are a direct subscriber
of a duplicate bug (664664).

Status in “alsa-utils” package in Ubuntu: Invalid
Status in “alsa-utils” source package in Maverick: Fix Released

Bug description:
Binary package hint: alsa-utils

Setting up alsa-utils (1.0.23-2ubuntu3.3) ...
dpkg: error processing alsa-utils (--configure):
 subprocess installed post-installation script returned error exit status 1
Errors were encountered while processing:
 alsa-utils
E: Sub-process /usr/bin/dpkg returned an error code (1)

ProblemType: Package
DistroRelease: Ubuntu 10.10
Package: alsa-utils 1.0.23-2ubuntu3.3
ProcVersionSignature: Ubuntu 2.6.35-22.34~ppa1-generic-tuxonice 2.6.35.4
Uname: Linux 2.6.35-22-generic-tuxon...

Read more...

Brilliant! I am in awe at how fast you managed to fix this! Thank you so
much!
On 21 Oct 2010 23:26, "Steve Langasek" <email address hidden> wrote:
> Scratch that last comment; a) this isn't lucid, it's maverick, and b)
> since this was a regression in -proposed only, the bug should be fixed
> now. Marking as fix released, as the binary packages should all be
> published within an hour.
>
> ** Changed in: alsa-utils (Ubuntu Maverick)
> Status: Triaged => Fix Released
>
> --
> package alsa-utils 1.0.23-2ubuntu3.3 failed to install/upgrade: subprocess
installed post-installation script returned error exit status 1
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/664645
> You received this bug notification because you are a direct subscriber
> of a duplicate bug (664649).
>
> Status in “alsa-utils” package in Ubuntu: Invalid
> Status in “alsa-utils” source package in Maverick: Fix Released
>
> Bug description:
> Binary package hint: alsa-utils
>
> Setting up alsa-utils (1.0.23-2ubuntu3.3) ...
> dpkg: error processing alsa-utils (--configure):
> subprocess installed post-installation script returned error exit status 1
> Errors were encountered while processing:
> alsa-utils
> E: Sub-process /usr/bin/dpkg returned an error code (1)
>
> ProblemType: Package
> DistroRelease: Ubuntu 10.10
> Package: alsa-utils 1.0.23-2ubuntu3.3
> ProcVersionSignature: Ubuntu 2.6.35-22.34~ppa1-generic-tuxonice 2.6.35.4
> Uname: Linux 2.6.35-22-generic-tuxonice x86_64
> Architecture: amd64
> Date: Thu Oct 21 14:11:16 2010
> ErrorMessage: subprocess installed post-installation script returned error
exit status 1
> InstallationMedia: Ubuntu 10.04 "Lucid Lynx" - Alpha amd64 (20100122)
> SourcePackage: alsa-utils
> Title: package alsa-utils 1.0.23-2ubuntu3.3 failed to install/upgrade:
subprocess installed post-installation script returned error exit status 1
>
> To unsubscribe from this bug, go to:
>
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/alsa-utils/+bug/664645/+subscribe

Cédric Cordenier (ccordenier) wrote :

I forgot to ask, but how would I apply this bug fix? It doesn't seem to be anywhere at the moment...

rupert (rupert-primarycore) wrote :

sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get dist-upgrade ?

On Friday 22 October 2010 11:44:37 you wrote:
> I forgot to ask, but how would I apply this bug fix? It doesn't seem to
> be anywhere at the moment...
>
> --
> package alsa-utils 1.0.23-2ubuntu3.3 failed to install/upgrade: subprocess installed
post-installation script returned error exit status 1
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/664645
> You received this bug notification because you are a direct subscriber
> of a duplicate bug (664821).
>
> Status in “alsa-utils” package in Ubuntu: Invalid
> Status in “alsa-utils” source package in Maverick: Fix Released
>
> Bug description:
> Binary package hint: alsa-utils
>
> Setting up alsa-utils (1.0.23-2ubuntu3.3) ...
> dpkg: error processing alsa-utils (--configure):
> subprocess installed post-installation script returned error exit status 1
> Errors were encountered while processing:
> alsa-utils
> E: Sub-process /usr/bin/dpkg returned an error code (1)
>
> ProblemType: Package
> DistroRelease: Ubuntu 10.10
> Package: alsa-utils 1.0.23-2ubuntu3.3
> ProcVersionSignature: Ubuntu 2.6.35-22.34~ppa1-generic-tuxonice 2.6.35.4
> Uname: Linux 2.6.35-22-generic-tuxonice x86_64
> Architecture: amd64
> Date: Thu Oct 21 14:11:16 2010
> ErrorMessage: subprocess installed post-installation script returned error exit status 1
> InstallationMedia: Ubuntu 10.04 "Lucid Lynx" - Alpha amd64 (20100122)
> SourcePackage: alsa-utils
> Title: package alsa-utils 1.0.23-2ubuntu3.3 failed to install/upgrade: subprocess
installed post-installation script returned error exit status 1
>
> To unsubscribe from this bug, go to:
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/alsa-utils/+bug/664645/+subscribe
>

Cedric,

 From the update manager, and i received the update.

However, the sound icon from Indicator applet has dissappeared.

Any ideas, anyone?

Cheers

On 10/21/2010 07:44 PM, Cédric Cordenier wrote:
> I forgot to ask, but how would I apply this bug fix? It doesn't seem to
> be anywhere at the moment...
>

Dimitrios Ntoulas (ntoulasd) wrote :

Just run a
sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get upgrade

Luke Yelavich (themuso) wrote :

The built packages take time to get published. If they are not on archive.ubuntu.com now, they should be shortly. The packages will appear on other mirrors at the time of their next update run.

rupert (rupert-primarycore) wrote :

Still havent recieved it, probably need to switch from an aus mirror to main repo?

> However, the sound icon from Indicator applet has dissappeared.

Log out and back in does not restore it?

 Friday 22 October 2010 11:53:26 you wrote:
> Cedric,
>
> From the update manager, and i received the update.
>
> However, the sound icon from Indicator applet has dissappeared.
>
> Any ideas, anyone?
>
> Cheers
>
> On 10/21/2010 07:44 PM, Cédric Cordenier wrote:
> > I forgot to ask, but how would I apply this bug fix? It doesn't seem to
> > be anywhere at the moment...
> >
>
> --
> package alsa-utils 1.0.23-2ubuntu3.3 failed to install/upgrade: subprocess installed
post-installation script returned error exit status 1
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/664645
> You received this bug notification because you are a direct subscriber
> of a duplicate bug (664821).
>
> Status in “alsa-utils” package in Ubuntu: Invalid
> Status in “alsa-utils” source package in Maverick: Fix Released
>
> Bug description:
> Binary package hint: alsa-utils
>
> Setting up alsa-utils (1.0.23-2ubuntu3.3) ...
> dpkg: error processing alsa-utils (--configure):
> subprocess installed post-installation script returned error exit status 1
> Errors were encountered while processing:
> alsa-utils
> E: Sub-process /usr/bin/dpkg returned an error code (1)
>
> ProblemType: Package
> DistroRelease: Ubuntu 10.10
> Package: alsa-utils 1.0.23-2ubuntu3.3
> ProcVersionSignature: Ubuntu 2.6.35-22.34~ppa1-generic-tuxonice 2.6.35.4
> Uname: Linux 2.6.35-22-generic-tuxonice x86_64
> Architecture: amd64
> Date: Thu Oct 21 14:11:16 2010
> ErrorMessage: subprocess installed post-installation script returned error exit status 1
> InstallationMedia: Ubuntu 10.04 "Lucid Lynx" - Alpha amd64 (20100122)
> SourcePackage: alsa-utils
> Title: package alsa-utils 1.0.23-2ubuntu3.3 failed to install/upgrade: subprocess
installed post-installation script returned error exit status 1
>
> To unsubscribe from this bug, go to:
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/alsa-utils/+bug/664645/+subscribe
>

Cédric Cordenier (ccordenier) wrote :

I've just received it, and everything seems to be working. I just needed to change to the main server.

I'm really sorry to have bothered you with this. Thank you very much!

slumbergod (slumbergod) wrote :

My update-notifier icon in the system tray is now showing an error. I have tried everything I could find. Strangely I can use synaptic, apt-get, and even aptitude perfectly but the update icon continues to show an error.

'E:Could not open file /var/lib/synaptic/preferences - open (13: Permission denied)'

I think it is related to the failed upgrade of alsa-utils and though it has upgraded properly now I seem to have this residual error.

slumbergod (slumbergod) wrote :

Error fixed. Probably a bug from Xubuntu's initial configuration when it was installed.

chrhei (chrhei) wrote :

Linux xxxxx 2.6.35-22-generic #35-Ubuntu SMP Sat Oct 16 20:36:48 UTC 2010 i686 GNU/Linux
Ubuntu 10.10

Tried this morning, fixed for me. Thank you.

setting to fix committed, 1.0.23-2ubuntu3.4 is not in -updates.

Changed in alsa-utils (Ubuntu Maverick):
status: Fix Released → Fix Committed
tags: added: regressio
tags: added: verification-done
removed: verification-needed
tags: added: regression-proposed
removed: regressio

For those you can want to test the package is in maverick-proposed. Please test and give feedback here. See https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Testing/EnableProposed for documentation how to enable and use -proposed. Thank you in advance!

Changed in alsa-utils (Ubuntu Maverick):
status: Fix Committed → Fix Released
Matthäus Brandl (matthaeus) wrote :

Works on my system:

% LC_ALL=C apt-cache policy alsa-utils
alsa-utils:
  Installed: 1.0.23-2ubuntu3.4
  Candidate: 1.0.23-2ubuntu3.4
  Version table:
 *** 1.0.23-2ubuntu3.4 0
        500 http://de.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ maverick-proposed/main i386 Packages
        100 /var/lib/dpkg/status
     1.0.23-2ubuntu3 0
        500 http://de.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ maverick/main i386 Packages

Works also for me

On Fri, Oct 22, 2010 at 16:35, Matthäus Brandl <email address hidden> wrote:

> Works on my system:
>
> % LC_ALL=C apt-cache policy alsa-utils
> alsa-utils:
> Installed: 1.0.23-2ubuntu3.4
> Candidate: 1.0.23-2ubuntu3.4
> Version table:
> *** 1.0.23-2ubuntu3.4 0
> 500 http://de.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ maverick-proposed/main
> i386 Packages
> 100 /var/lib/dpkg/status
> 1.0.23-2ubuntu3 0
> 500 http://de.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ maverick/main i386
> Packages
>
> --
> package alsa-utils 1.0.23-2ubuntu3.3 failed to install/upgrade: subprocess
> installed post-installation script returned error exit status 1
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/664645
> You received this bug notification because you are a direct subscriber
> of a duplicate bug (664786).
>

Thanks for the superb effort and turn around time. This is definately fixed and is working 100% for me. Thank you again!!

Bryan Agee (bryanagee) wrote :

This just failed for me again on the most recent; I can't figure out how to
attach it to the right bug in launchpad though--it wants me to report it as
a new one. I tried putting the bug number in the description, and even tried
copying the text into the summary box to search again.

Can someone tell me the trick to attaching the report to the existing bug?
Sorry if this is a nube question.

On Fri, Oct 22, 2010 at 11:47 AM, Charles Redman
<email address hidden>wrote:

> Thanks for the superb effort and turn around time. This is definately
> fixed and is working 100% for me. Thank you again!!
>
> --
> package alsa-utils 1.0.23-2ubuntu3.3 failed to install/upgrade: subprocess
> installed post-installation script returned error exit status 1
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/664645
> You received this bug notification because you are a direct subscriber
> of a duplicate bug (664744).
>

Bryan Agee (bryanagee) wrote :

Nevermind--just figured it out. Thanks!

On Fri, Oct 22, 2010 at 6:01 PM, Bryan Agee <email address hidden> wrote:

> This just failed for me again on the most recent; I can't figure out how to
> attach it to the right bug in launchpad though--it wants me to report it as
> a new one. I tried putting the bug number in the description, and even tried
> copying the text into the summary box to search again.
>
> Can someone tell me the trick to attaching the report to the existing bug?
> Sorry if this is a nube question.
>
> On Fri, Oct 22, 2010 at 11:47 AM, Charles Redman <
> <email address hidden>> wrote:
>
>> Thanks for the superb effort and turn around time. This is definately
>> fixed and is working 100% for me. Thank you again!!
>>
>> --
>> package alsa-utils 1.0.23-2ubuntu3.3 failed to install/upgrade: subprocess
>> installed post-installation script returned error exit status 1
>> https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/664645
>> You received this bug notification because you are a direct subscriber
>> of a duplicate bug (664744).
>>
>
>

Daniel T Chen (crimsun) wrote :

@Bryan What is the output from `apt-cache policy alsa-utils'?

Bryan Agee (bryanagee) wrote :

alsa-utils:
  Installed: 1.0.23-2ubuntu3.4
  Candidate: 1.0.23-2ubuntu3.4
  Version table:
 *** 1.0.23-2ubuntu3.4 0
        500 http://us.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ maverick-proposed/main
amd64 Packages
        100 /var/lib/dpkg/status
     1.0.23-2ubuntu3 0
        500 http://us.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ maverick/main amd64
Packages

Hope that helps; I haven't had any noticeable fallout from this bug, I'm
only reporting it since it keeps generating crash reports. Thanks for all
you guys do !

On Fri, Oct 22, 2010 at 6:22 PM, Daniel T Chen <email address hidden>wrote:

> @Bryan What is the output from `apt-cache policy alsa-utils'?
>
> --
> package alsa-utils 1.0.23-2ubuntu3.3 failed to install/upgrade: subprocess
> installed post-installation script returned error exit status 1
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/664645
> You received this bug notification because you are a direct subscriber
> of a duplicate bug (664744).
>

To post a comment you must log in.
This report contains Public information  Edit
Everyone can see this information.

Other bug subscribers