accounts-daemon using up several gigabytes of RAM

Bug #1434205 reported by Adam K
10
This bug affects 2 people
Affects Status Importance Assigned to Milestone
accountsservice (Ubuntu)
Invalid
Undecided
Unassigned

Bug Description

HP Z400 Workstation
Intel Xeon W3520
12GB RAM
nVidia QuadroFX 580

Kubuntu Trusty 14.04.2 LTS, apt-get says everything is up to date
Kernel 3.13.0-46-generic x64
KDE SC Version 4.13.2
Accountsservice 0.6.35-0ubuntu7.1

My system seems to boot just fine until it tries to bring up LightDM. At that point, accounts-daemon eats up 100% of a CPU core, starts allocating tons of memory and causes LightDM to hang for ~25 seconds. After I put in my username and password accounts-daemon continues eating up 100% of a CPU core, allocates more memory and hangs the login process some more. After being logged in for a few minutes it stops using CPU time but never frees any memory, eventually settling in at ~6GB used. At the time of this writing it is currently at 5,754,280K.

If I kill the process it frees all of the memory, but after locking the screen or similiar action something (dbus?) starts it back up again and the process repeats, although only using up ~3GB of RAM. I have tried running accounts-daemon --debug and it doesn't spit out anything indicating an error. The closest that I've found to a problem is in the lightdm.log file excerpted below:

<snip>
[+0.05s] DEBUG: Using VT 7
[+0.05s] DEBUG: Seat: Starting local X display on VT 7
[+0.05s] DEBUG: DisplayServer x-0: Logging to /var/log/lightdm/x-0.log
[+0.05s] DEBUG: DisplayServer x-0: Writing X server authority to /var/run/lightdm/root/:0
[+0.05s] DEBUG: DisplayServer x-0: Launching X Server
[+0.05s] DEBUG: Launching process 1254: /usr/bin/X -core :0 -seat seat0 -auth /var/run/lightdm/root/:0 -nolisten tcp vt7 -novtswitch
[+0.05s] DEBUG: DisplayServer x-0: Waiting for ready signal from X server :0
[+0.05s] DEBUG: Acquired bus name org.freedesktop.DisplayManager
[+0.05s] DEBUG: Registering seat with bus path /org/freedesktop/DisplayManager/Seat0
[+25.08s] WARNING: Error getting user list from org.freedesktop.Accounts: Timeout was reached
[+25.08s] DEBUG: Loading user config from /etc/lightdm/users.conf
[+25.09s] DEBUG: User xxxxx added
[+25.09s] DEBUG: Got signal 10 from process 1254
[+25.09s] DEBUG: DisplayServer x-0: Got signal from X server :0
[+25.09s] DEBUG: DisplayServer x-0: Connecting to XServer :0
<snip />

dbus does seem to start the service successfully as evidenced in syslog:

<snip>
Mar 19 10:32:32 the-cybercraft dbus[791]: [system] Activating service name='org.freedesktop.Accounts' (using servicehelper)
Mar 19 10:32:32 the-cybercraft accounts-daemon[1259]: started daemon version 0.6.35
Mar 19 10:32:32 the-cybercraft dbus[791]: [system] Successfully activated service 'org.freedesktop.Accounts'
<snip />

I'll provide any help that I can, and thanks!

Revision history for this message
Adam K (m3741) wrote :

If it helps, here's a /proc/<pid>/maps dump of the offending process.

Revision history for this message
Adam K (m3741) wrote :

If you're feeling brave, here's a snippet of the heap that contains "similar" looking things in it. Without knowing much about accounts-daemon, it doesn't make sense to me. I just did a gdb dump memory to get it and dumped this chunk out using Bless.

Revision history for this message
Adam K (m3741) wrote :

Please close this bug. As I'm sure you've guessed, it was something else.

To add to the history of the Internet...
For some reason, something ran amok a few days ago and caused /var/log/wtmp to become polluted with false logins (this is a standalone box, so I'm not worried) and become huge, 2.1GB. accounts-daemon was dutifully trying and succeeding to load the file while in entry_generator_wtmp from daemon.c. Once I rotated the file out by hand, things are back to normal.

Changed in accountsservice (Ubuntu):
status: New → Invalid
To post a comment you must log in.
This report contains Public information  
Everyone can see this information.

Other bug subscribers

Related questions