acer touchpad not working after upgrade to latest kernel (2.6.28-11 - 2.6.32.24)

Bug #365382 reported by Ritesh Sinha on 2009-04-23
20
This bug affects 3 people
Affects Status Importance Assigned to Milestone
Ubuntu
Undecided
Unassigned

Bug Description

After I upgraded to the latest kernel (2.6.28-11) my laptop keyboard and touchpad have stopped working completely. They work perfectly up to the latest .27 kernel series (2.6.27-11) but refuse to work once I boot into .28-11. The following behaviour was observed:

KDE 4.2.2 : After booting I am able to enter my login password. Using the touchpad does not move the mouse pointer at all (I have tried using the Fn+TouchPad enable/disable keys too). Also, after I've attempted to use the touchpad, the keyboard stops working for a while (random time) or behaves erratically (randomly repeats one character).

GNOME (latest): I installed the ubuntu-desktop package on kubuntu to test if this was a KDE issue. I am able to logon to my GNOME desktop but I'm unable to use the touchpad or the keyboard at all. I also booted from a Jaunty live usb stick to test this out, similar behaviour was observed (Jaunty uses the 2.6.28 series kernel)

As this is my first time reporting a bug, I would be really grateful if you guys could let me know what information I can provide to help fix this. So far I've tried comparing the modules list (lsmod) when both kernels load but I couldn't see any differences (I will compare again to be sure). The only difference I've noticed is that in the newer kernel (.28-11) I see a message regarding loading some driver elantech.c (no error, normal loading). I can replicate the message if required but after I boot into the new kernel i will need to type using a virtual keyboard.

Update: I have done a clean install of ubuntu 9.04. Keyboard is working fine, touchpad is still not working.

description: updated
summary: - acer 3212WLxMi keyboard and mouse not working after upgrade to latest
- kernel (2.6.28-11)
+ acer touchpad not working after upgrade to latest kernel (2.6.28-11)

I booted the ubuntu 9.04 RC live CD and the touchpad of my Twinhead 10D didn't work, but the keyboard did.
So I updated with "update-manager -d" and using the last kernel 2.6.27-11 it does work.
The kernel 2.6.28-11 really has a bug with touchpad.

big one (bkuyang) wrote :

I have encountered the same problem. And, it's definitely not a bug with either GNOME, KDE, or X, since the problem occurred with GPM as well. Also, I have found that the touchpad can work with 2.6.27, but won't work with kernel 2.6.28-11, as Daniel have described above.
#uname -a
Linux acer 2.6.28-11-generic #42-Ubuntu SMP Fri Apr 17 01:57:59 UTC 2009 i686 GNU/Linux

With kernel 2.6.28-11, only the mouse left key and right key will work. And once you touch the touchpad or click the mouse left or right key, the keyboard will stop working. Any keys you typed with the keyboard will not come out, until you click once more the mouse keys on the touchpad.

My temporary solution is to disable the touchpad, so that keyboard will not be frozen. Or, boot with the kernel 2.6.27.

Download full text (3.2 KiB)

Update: Tried booting into 2.6.28-11 yesterday, same problem persists.
While the keyboard seems to work until I log on, the touchpad refuses
to work at all. Same problem as big one, after attempting to use the
touchpad, the keyboard stops working completely. Tried disabling the
touchpad, but it usually gets re-enabled after booting. I have a
strong feeling this has something to do with the elantech driver (idle
speculation). I am currently using the 2.6.27 kernel.

On Wed, Apr 29, 2009 at 10:50 AM, big one <email address hidden> wrote:
> I have encountered the same problem. And, it's definitely not a bug with either GNOME, KDE, or X, since the problem occurred with GPM as well. Also, I have found that the touchpad can work with 2.6.27, but won't work with kernel 2.6.28-11, as Daniel have described above.
> #uname -a
> Linux acer 2.6.28-11-generic #42-Ubuntu SMP Fri Apr 17 01:57:59 UTC 2009 i686 GNU/Linux
>
> With kernel 2.6.28-11, only the mouse left key and right key will work.
> And once you touch the touchpad or click the mouse left or right key,
> the keyboard will stop working. Any keys you typed with the keyboard
> will not come out, until you click once more the mouse keys on the
> touchpad.
>
> My temporary solution is to disable the touchpad, so that keyboard will
> not be frozen. Or, boot with the kernel 2.6.27.
>
> --
> acer touchpad not working after upgrade to latest kernel (2.6.28-11)
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/365382
> You received this bug notification because you are a direct subscriber
> of the bug.
>
> Status in Ubuntu: New
>
> Bug description:
> After I upgraded to the latest kernel (2.6.28-11) my laptop keyboard and touchpad have stopped working completely. They work perfectly up to the latest .27 kernel series (2.6.27-11) but refuse to work once I boot into .28-11. The following behaviour was observed:
>
> KDE 4.2.2 : After booting I am able to enter my login password. Using the touchpad does not move the mouse pointer at all (I have tried using the Fn+TouchPad enable/disable keys too). Also, after I've attempted to use the touchpad, the keyboard stops working for a while (random time) or behaves erratically (randomly repeats one character).
>
> GNOME (latest): I installed the ubuntu-desktop package on kubuntu to test if this was a KDE issue. I am able to logon to my GNOME desktop but I'm unable to use the touchpad or the keyboard at all. I also booted from a Jaunty live usb stick to test this out, similar behaviour was observed (Jaunty uses the 2.6.28 series kernel)
>
> As this is my first time reporting a bug, I would be really grateful if you guys could let me know what information I can provide to help fix this. So far I've tried comparing the modules list (lsmod) when both kernels load but I couldn't see any differences (I will compare again to be sure). The only difference I've noticed is that in the newer kernel (.28-11) I see a message regarding loading some driver elantech.c (no error, normal loading). I can replicate the message if required but after I boot into the new kernel i will need to type using a virtual keyboard.
>
> Update: I have done a clean install of ubuntu 9.04. Keyboard is working fine, to...

Read more...

tags: added: jaunty keyboard touchpad
tags: added: regression-potential
Steve Beattie (sbeattie) on 2009-04-29
tags: added: regression-release
removed: regression-potential

Hello guys.
I just want to confirm this bug regarding touchpad. As for keyboard, it works fine.
Acer Aspire 7520G-402G25Bi

Aviator (tarmiziaffandi) wrote :

Came here to report the same exact problem. After upgrading my Acer's Ubuntu installation to Jaunty, the touchpad is not working at all, and, attempting to use it will cause the keyboard to also stop from functioning. The "Fn" key also does not work.

I have switched to Hardy which fixes these issues. I was also
experiencing a number of video performance degradation bugs (intel
card) with both intrepid and jaunty which have disappeared with hardy.

On 5/25/09, Aviator <email address hidden> wrote:
> Came here to report the same exact problem. After upgrading my Acer's
> Ubuntu installation to Jaunty, the touchpad is not working at all, and,
> attempting to use it will cause the keyboard to also stop from
> functioning. The "Fn" key also does not work.
>
> --
> acer touchpad not working after upgrade to latest kernel (2.6.28-11)
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/365382
> You received this bug notification because you are a direct subscriber
> of the bug.
>
> Status in Ubuntu: New
>
> Bug description:
> After I upgraded to the latest kernel (2.6.28-11) my laptop keyboard and
> touchpad have stopped working completely. They work perfectly up to the
> latest .27 kernel series (2.6.27-11) but refuse to work once I boot into
> .28-11. The following behaviour was observed:
>
> KDE 4.2.2 : After booting I am able to enter my login password. Using the
> touchpad does not move the mouse pointer at all (I have tried using the
> Fn+TouchPad enable/disable keys too). Also, after I've attempted to use the
> touchpad, the keyboard stops working for a while (random time) or behaves
> erratically (randomly repeats one character).
>
> GNOME (latest): I installed the ubuntu-desktop package on kubuntu to test if
> this was a KDE issue. I am able to logon to my GNOME desktop but I'm unable
> to use the touchpad or the keyboard at all. I also booted from a Jaunty live
> usb stick to test this out, similar behaviour was observed (Jaunty uses the
> 2.6.28 series kernel)
>
> As this is my first time reporting a bug, I would be really grateful if you
> guys could let me know what information I can provide to help fix this. So
> far I've tried comparing the modules list (lsmod) when both kernels load but
> I couldn't see any differences (I will compare again to be sure). The only
> difference I've noticed is that in the newer kernel (.28-11) I see a message
> regarding loading some driver elantech.c (no error, normal loading). I can
> replicate the message if required but after I boot into the new kernel i
> will need to type using a virtual keyboard.
>
> Update: I have done a clean install of ubuntu 9.04. Keyboard is working
> fine, touchpad is still not working.
>

--
Sent from my mobile device

Hello again, I want to notice how I managed to solve this problem.
The solution wasn't obvious as you may see below.
I have rebooted in Windows. Touchpad still didn't work & there was no any response for Fn key pressing.
But suddenly I missed the touchpad on/off key and pressed sleep or hibernate button. After I had my laptop awaken I found out that touchpad is working now! By the way, having done the same actions under my Kubuntu installation, I had nothing. I hope that this would help somebody.

Russell Ault (russell-ault) wrote :

Any further developments on this? Last night I tried to upgrade a friend's Aspire to Jaunty from Hardy and gave up because of how bad the LiveCD was behaving. Same details as above (keyboard works, kinda, until the touchpad is used) with the added bit of fun that I can move the cursor (sporadically, up and down only) using the arrow buttons that this particular Aspire has in place of a middle touchpad button. Any ideas what changed between Hardy and Jaunty to cause this (or, more to the point, a work-around/fix)?

Aviator (tarmiziaffandi) wrote :

Just now I upgraded to Karmic and the touchpad now works :)

Changed in ubuntu:
status: New → Incomplete
status: Incomplete → New
Fabio Marconi (fabiomarconi) wrote :

Thank you for taking the time to report this bug and helping to make Ubuntu better.
Is this bug reproducible with the latest Lucid packages ?
Tanks in advance.

Changed in ubuntu:
status: New → Incomplete

I don't know, as the new kernel makes my laptop stop working at all,
everything is black now.

Em 19-07-2010 17:01, Fabio Marconi escreveu:
> Thank you for taking the time to report this bug and helping to make Ubuntu better.
> Is this bug reproducible with the latest Lucid packages ?
> Tanks in advance.
>
> ** Changed in: ubuntu
> Status: New => Incomplete
>
>

Are you talking about Lucid's kernel 2.6.32-23 ?

Even the new 2.6.32-24 doesn't work either.
Daniel

Em 23-07-2010 17:02, Fabio Marconi escreveu:
> Are you talking about Lucid's kernel 2.6.32-23 ?
>
>

summary: - acer touchpad not working after upgrade to latest kernel (2.6.28-11)
+ acer touchpad not working after upgrade to latest kernel (2.6.28-11 -
+ 2.6.32.24)
tags: added: lucid
Fabio Marconi (fabiomarconi) wrote :

Hello Daniel.
Can you start a session from the working kernel (liveCD works too), and attach here :
/var/log/syslog
/var/log/dmesg
/var/log/kern.log
/var/log/Xorg.0.log
of the failing kernel ? (Lucid preferable)
Thanks

Fabio Marconi (fabiomarconi) wrote :

 Thank you for taking the time to report this bug and helping to make Ubuntu better. This bug did not have a package associated with it, which is important for ensuring that it gets looked at by the proper developers. You can learn more about finding the right package at https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Bugs/FindRightPackage .

When reporting bugs in the future please use apport by using 'ubuntu-bug' and the name of the package affected. You can learn more about this functionality at https://help.ubuntu.com/community/ReportingBugs.

Fabio Marconi (fabiomarconi) wrote :

We are closing this bug report because it lacks the information we need to investigate the problem, as described in the previous comments. Please reopen it if you can give us the missing information, and don't hesitate to submit bug reports in the future. To reopen the bug report you can click on the current status, under the Status column, and change the Status back to "New". Thanks again!

Changed in ubuntu:
status: Incomplete → Invalid
Daniel (dandao) wrote :

New Ubuntu 10.10 kernel make the screen show up. Everything is fine in my Twinhead 10D.
For me the bug is solved.

Daniel (dandao) on 2010-11-11
Changed in ubuntu:
status: Invalid → New
Changed in ubuntu:
status: New → Invalid
To post a comment you must log in.
This report contains Public information  Edit
Everyone can see this information.

Other bug subscribers