Intrepid Ibex (8.10) loses Internet connectivity after installation

Bug #320105 reported by dennisshipman on 2009-01-22
10
Affects Status Importance Assigned to Milestone
Ubuntu
Undecided
Unassigned

Bug Description

After installing 8.10 (8th time; 7 times "upgrade," 1st from CD) when I attempt to surf the web, update, or do any function, which requires an internet connection, I get an error message. "Error: root: could not find def gateway info in/proc file "usr/share/hwtest/scripts/internetTrace_test" back line 132, 118, 18...

The 2 earlier Ubuntu versions were basically plug and play. I simply installed the operating system from CD or on line, and it automatically connected to the internet. I am now still running Hardy Heron (8.04) because I lose internet connectivity when I try to "upgrade" to Intrepid Ibex (8.10) either on line, or with the CD. What gives. I did not have to manually set up my connections with Fiesty Fawn (7.04) or Hardy Heron (8.04). The eth0 Property box (Network) are all empty and grayed out by the way. The only check box there says "roaming mode enabled." The other problem I am concerned about is all my machines are 64 bit, not 32 bit. Hardy Heron (8.04) offers a specific build for this architecture. I do not see anywhere on the CD label or on line that Intrepid Ibex (8.10) is designed to take full advantage of 64 bit AMD architecture.

Hi dennisshipman,

Can you post some system info please? . Network card being used, output of lspic, uname -a, lsmod, /etc/network/interfaces file, etc.

Thanks.

Dan Trevino (dantrevino) wrote :

Thank you for taking the time to report this bug and helping to make Ubuntu better. Unfortunately we can't start working on it yet, because your bug report didn't include enough information.

Please include the information requested at https://wiki.ubuntu.com/DebuggingNetworkManager. If you have trouble, do not hesitate to ask for more assistance. Thanks in advance.

http://www.ubuntu.com/getubuntu/download has options for both 64 and 32 bit downloads clearly identified.

HP/Compaq Dual Turion 64 Bit

Prof. Dennis Shipman, A.A., B.S., M.S.
Adjunct Professor of Human Services
Camden County College College Drive P.O. Box 200 Blackwood, NJ 08012-0200
347-251-6140
________________________________________________________
The information contained in this communication (including any attachments) may be confidential and legally privileged. This email may not serve as a contractual agreement unless explicit written agreement for this purpose has been made. If you are not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any dissemination, distribution, or copying of this communication or any of its contents is strictly prohibited. If you have received this communication in error, please re-send this communication to the sender indicating that it was received in error and delete the original message and any copy of it from your computer system. Thank you for your cooperation.
_________________________________________________________________________________

________________________________

From: <email address hidden> on behalf of CrownDude
Sent: Thu 1/22/2009 2:05 PM
To: Shipman, Dennis
Subject: [Bug 320105] Re: Intrepid Ibex (8.10) loses Internet connectivityafter installation

Hi dennisshipman,

Can you post some system info please? . Network card being used, output
of lspic, uname -a, lsmod, /etc/network/interfaces file, etc.

Thanks.

--
Intrepid Ibex (8.10) loses Internet connectivity after installation
https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/320105
You received this bug notification because you are a direct subscriber
of the bug.

Status in Ubuntu: New

Bug description:
After installing 8.10 (8th time; 7 times "upgrade," 1st from CD) when I attempt to surf the web, update, or do any function, which requires an internet connection, I get an error message. "Error: root: could not find def gateway info in/proc file "usr/share/hwtest/scripts/internetTrace_test" back line 132, 118, 18...

The 2 earlier Ubuntu versions were basically plug and play. I simply installed the operating system from CD or on line, and it automatically connected to the internet. I am now still running Hardy Heron (8.04) because I lose internet connectivity when I try to "upgrade" to Intrepid Ibex (8.10) either on line, or with the CD. What gives. I did not have to manually set up my connections with Fiesty Fawn (7.04) or Hardy Heron (8.04). The eth0 Property box (Network) are all empty and grayed out by the way. The only check box there says "roaming mode enabled." The other problem I am concerned about is all my machines are 64 bit, not 32 bit. Hardy Heron (8.04) offers a specific build for this architecture. I do not see anywhere on the CD label or on line that Intrepid Ibex (8.10) is designed to take full advantage of 64 bit AMD architecture.

kfadnis (kfadnis) wrote :

Hi Guys,
My 8.10 upgrade has been affected by the same bug, I think..

Here is some system info

Network card : Realtek Semiconductor Co. RTL8111/8168B PCI Express Gigabit Ethernet Controller (rev 02)
Output from lspci is all the hardware listed on different ports. its a lot I am typing all the stuff here because my Ubuntu machine isnt connected to the web.

uname -a : Linux myubuntu-desktop 2.6.27.11-generic #1 SMP Thu Jan 29 19:24:39 UTC 2009 i686 GNU/Linux

/etc/network/interfaces file
----------------------------------------------------
auto lo
iface lo inet looback

auto eth0
#iface eth0 inet dhcp

auto eth1
#iface eth1 inet dhcp

auto eth0
#iface eth0 inet dhcp

auto ath0
#iface ath0 inet dhcp

auto wlan0
#iface wlan0 inet dhcp
---------------------------------------------------

let me know what else is needed and i will post the info as soon as possible.

Thanks guys,

K.

I had this problem here https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/network-manager/+bug/319553 and these guys helped me at #ubuntu-bugs but we didn't post the workaround I used there. I just removed a word out of a file and it worked. I asked them to post the workaround as I can't remember it, so if you subscribe to the above report you'll get notified when they post it.

Hey CrowAmbassador,
Thanks very very much. that solved my problem. one of the posts in your link
had the solution. You have to remove "interface-mtu" words from the dhclient
file.

K.

On Sun, Feb 1, 2009 at 3:09 PM, CrownAmbassador <email address hidden>wrote:

> I had this problem here https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source
> /network-manager/+bug/319553 and these guys helped me at #ubuntu-bugs
> but we didn't post the workaround I used there. I just removed a word
> out of a file and it worked. I asked them to post the workaround as I
> can't remember it, so if you subscribe to the above report you'll get
> notified when they post it.
>
> --
> Intrepid Ibex (8.10) loses Internet connectivity after installation
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/320105
> You received this bug notification because you are a direct subscriber
> of the bug.
>
> Status in Ubuntu: Incomplete
>
> Bug description:
> After installing 8.10 (8th time; 7 times "upgrade," 1st from CD) when I
> attempt to surf the web, update, or do any function, which requires an
> internet connection, I get an error message. "Error: root: could not find
> def gateway info in/proc file "usr/share/hwtest/scripts/internetTrace_test"
> back line 132, 118, 18...
>
> The 2 earlier Ubuntu versions were basically plug and play. I simply
> installed the operating system from CD or on line, and it automatically
> connected to the internet. I am now still running Hardy Heron (8.04) because
> I lose internet connectivity when I try to "upgrade" to Intrepid Ibex (8.10)
> either on line, or with the CD. What gives. I did not have to manually set
> up my connections with Fiesty Fawn (7.04) or Hardy Heron (8.04). The eth0
> Property box (Network) are all empty and grayed out by the way. The only
> check box there says "roaming mode enabled." The other problem I am
> concerned about is all my machines are 64 bit, not 32 bit. Hardy Heron
> (8.04) offers a specific build for this architecture. I do not see anywhere
> on the CD label or on line that Intrepid Ibex (8.10) is designed to take
> full advantage of 64 bit AMD architecture.
>

Great!

Glad that helped you!

Since this missing file bug if that is the issue with 8.10 was reported back in January have the developers rectified the problem yet (I still have the same problem when I recently attempted to upgrade to 8.10). I think I will wait for 9.04 aka Jaunty Jackalope, and hope the problem has been worked out in that distro.

kfadnis (kfadnis) wrote :

Did you see my reply, you can get around it by following my reply and the
link posted by CrownAmbassador

On Sun, Mar 29, 2009 at 9:24 PM, <email address hidden> <
<email address hidden>> wrote:

> Since this missing file bug if that is the issue with 8.10 was reported
> back in January have the developers rectified the problem yet (I still
> have the same problem when I recently attempted to upgrade to 8.10). I
> think I will wait for 9.04 aka Jaunty Jackalope, and hope the problem
> has been worked out in that distro.
>
> --
> Intrepid Ibex (8.10) loses Internet connectivity after installation
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/320105
> You received this bug notification because you are a direct subscriber
> of the bug.
>
> Status in Ubuntu: Incomplete
>
> Bug description:
> After installing 8.10 (8th time; 7 times "upgrade," 1st from CD) when I
> attempt to surf the web, update, or do any function, which requires an
> internet connection, I get an error message. "Error: root: could not find
> def gateway info in/proc file "usr/share/hwtest/scripts/internetTrace_test"
> back line 132, 118, 18...
>
> The 2 earlier Ubuntu versions were basically plug and play. I simply
> installed the operating system from CD or on line, and it automatically
> connected to the internet. I am now still running Hardy Heron (8.04) because
> I lose internet connectivity when I try to "upgrade" to Intrepid Ibex (8.10)
> either on line, or with the CD. What gives. I did not have to manually set
> up my connections with Fiesty Fawn (7.04) or Hardy Heron (8.04). The eth0
> Property box (Network) are all empty and grayed out by the way. The only
> check box there says "roaming mode enabled." The other problem I am
> concerned about is all my machines are 64 bit, not 32 bit. Hardy Heron
> (8.04) offers a specific build for this architecture. I do not see anywhere
> on the CD label or on line that Intrepid Ibex (8.10) is designed to take
> full advantage of 64 bit AMD architecture.
>

On my blog you'll find a work around that worked for me. www.technologyheaven.com Seems to be the same in 9.04.
------Original Message------
From: <email address hidden>
Sender: <email address hidden>
To: <email address hidden>
ReplyTo: Bug 320105
Subject: [Bug 320105] Re: Intrepid Ibex (8.10) loses Internet connectivityafter installation
Sent: Mar 30, 2009 03:24

Since this missing file bug if that is the issue with 8.10 was reported
back in January have the developers rectified the problem yet (I still
have the same problem when I recently attempted to upgrade to 8.10). I
think I will wait for 9.04 aka Jaunty Jackalope, and hope the problem
has been worked out in that distro.

--
Intrepid Ibex (8.10) loses Internet connectivity after installation
https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/320105
You received this bug notification because you are a direct subscriber
of the bug.

Conrad Theart
Visit my blog at www.technologyheaven.com

kfadnis wrote:
> Did you see my reply, you can get around it by following my reply and the
> link posted by CrownAmbassador
>
> On Sun, Mar 29, 2009 at 9:24 PM, <email address hidden> <
> <email address hidden>> wrote:
>
>
>> Since this missing file bug if that is the issue with 8.10 was reported
>> back in January have the developers rectified the problem yet (I still
>> have the same problem when I recently attempted to upgrade to 8.10). I
>> think I will wait for 9.04 aka Jaunty Jackalope, and hope the problem
>> has been worked out in that distro.
>>
>> --
>> Intrepid Ibex (8.10) loses Internet connectivity after installation
>> https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/320105
>> You received this bug notification because you are a direct subscriber
>> of the bug.
>>
>> Status in Ubuntu: Incomplete
>>
>> Bug description:
>> After installing 8.10 (8th time; 7 times "upgrade," 1st from CD) when I
>> attempt to surf the web, update, or do any function, which requires an
>> internet connection, I get an error message. "Error: root: could not find
>> def gateway info in/proc file "usr/share/hwtest/scripts/internetTrace_test"
>> back line 132, 118, 18...
>>
>> The 2 earlier Ubuntu versions were basically plug and play. I simply
>> installed the operating system from CD or on line, and it automatically
>> connected to the internet. I am now still running Hardy Heron (8.04) because
>> I lose internet connectivity when I try to "upgrade" to Intrepid Ibex (8.10)
>> either on line, or with the CD. What gives. I did not have to manually set
>> up my connections with Fiesty Fawn (7.04) or Hardy Heron (8.04). The eth0
>> Property box (Network) are all empty and grayed out by the way. The only
>> check box there says "roaming mode enabled." The other problem I am
>> concerned about is all my machines are 64 bit, not 32 bit. Hardy Heron
>> (8.04) offers a specific build for this architecture. I do not see anywhere
>> on the CD label or on line that Intrepid Ibex (8.10) is designed to take
>> full advantage of 64 bit AMD architecture.
>>
>>
>
>
Yes, I did. But you're missing my point. The two earlier distros did not
have this problem. So why should I have to employ a workaround to get
the distro to work. Beyond that since I'm off-line after I install 8.10,
and have basically erased my hard drive, I don't wanna chance that your
workaround won't work.

--

CrownAmbassador wrote:
> On my blog you'll find a work around that worked for me. www.technologyheaven.com Seems to be the same in 9.04.
> ------Original Message------
> From: <email address hidden>
> Sender: <email address hidden>
> To: <email address hidden>
> ReplyTo: Bug 320105
> Subject: [Bug 320105] Re: Intrepid Ibex (8.10) loses Internet connectivityafter installation
> Sent: Mar 30, 2009 03:24
>
> Since this missing file bug if that is the issue with 8.10 was reported
> back in January have the developers rectified the problem yet (I still
> have the same problem when I recently attempted to upgrade to 8.10). I
> think I will wait for 9.04 aka Jaunty Jackalope, and hope the problem
> has been worked out in that distro.
>
>
Why have the developers allows this bug to persist given it does not
exist in earlier distros? I really like open source generally and Ubuntu
particularly but I cannot believe they have igorned this bug report
because someone published a "workaround."

--

CrownAmbassador wrote:
> On my blog you'll find a work around that worked for me. www.technologyheaven.com Seems to be the same in 9.04.
> ------Original Message------
> From: <email address hidden>
> Sender: <email address hidden>
> To: <email address hidden>
> ReplyTo: Bug 320105
> Subject: [Bug 320105] Re: Intrepid Ibex (8.10) loses Internet connectivityafter installation
> Sent: Mar 30, 2009 03:24
>
> Since this missing file bug if that is the issue with 8.10 was reported
> back in January have the developers rectified the problem yet (I still
> have the same problem when I recently attempted to upgrade to 8.10). I
> think I will wait for 9.04 aka Jaunty Jackalope, and hope the problem
> has been worked out in that distro.
>
>
I checked for that phrase "interface-MTU" before I again downloaded
8.10. It does not exist on my computer. Just to be certain, I used ctrl
F. There is a similar phrase named interface-eth0 but I did not delete it.

--

Przemek K. (azrael) wrote :

Thank you for taking the time to report this bug and helping to make Ubuntu better. We are sorry that we do not always have the capacity to look at all reported bugs in a timely manner. There have been many changes in Ubuntu since that time you reported the bug and your problem may have been fixed with some of the updates. If you could test the current Ubuntu development version (10.04), this would help us a lot. If you can test it, and it is still an issue, we would appreciate if you could upload updated logs by running apport-collect 320105, and any other logs that are relevant for this particular issue.

Przemek K. (azrael) wrote :

We are closing this bug report because it lacks the information we need to investigate the problem, as described in the previous comments. Please reopen it if you can give us the missing information, and don't hesitate to submit bug reports in the future.
To reopen the bug report you can click on the current status, under the Status column, and change the Status back to "New".
If you decide to reopen this bug, it would help us a lot if you could test the current Ubuntu development version (10.10) and check if this bug is still relevant.
Thanks again!

Changed in ubuntu:
status: Incomplete → Invalid

LinkedIn
------------

Bug,

I'd like to add you to my professional network on LinkedIn.

- Dennis

Dennis Shipman
Chief Ethnography Officer at Applied Anthropologics Co., Inc.
Baltimore, Maryland Area

Confirm that you know Dennis Shipman:
https://www.linkedin.com/e/-n4mxhh-hsp26xmw-g/isd/5849611355396530176/TELJ9p4k/?hs=false&tok=0p8QdJWXDHHm81

--
You are receiving Invitation to Connect emails. Click to unsubscribe:
http://www.linkedin.com/e/-n4mxhh-hsp26xmw-g/pGr33h4wLbISwM3sn0tKYMDw5BZW9mSQiFIuU-0/goo/320105%40bugs%2Elaunchpad%2Enet/20061/I6672727536_1/?hs=false&tok=2APray6oDHHm81

(c) 2012 LinkedIn Corporation. 2029 Stierlin Ct, Mountain View, CA 94043, USA.

To post a comment you must log in.
This report contains Public information  Edit
Everyone can see this information.

Other bug subscribers

Related questions