[needs-packaging] jai (Java Advanced Imaging API)

Bug #314799 reported by Craig on 2009-01-07
8
This bug affects 1 person
Affects Status Importance Assigned to Milestone
Debian
New
Undecided
Unassigned
Ubuntu
Wishlist
Unassigned

Bug Description

The Java Advanced Imaging API provides a set of object-oriented interfaces that support a simple, high-level programming model which lets you manipulate images easily.

URL: http://java.sun.com/javase/technologies/desktop/media/jai/
License: JDL/JRL

Filed in Debian at http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=341776

According to https://jai-core.dev.java.net/issues/show_bug.cgi?id=35, a license change was requested, and accepted, in 2005. However, there have been no updates since, so I'm not sure what the licensing situation is exactly.

On 12/3/05, Andreas Schildbach <email address hidden> wrote:
> JAI, JAI Tools and JavaMail - all of those can't be distributed as a
> .deb like the JDK or JRE. This qualifies them to be packaged by
> yourself, using a similar process (make-jpkg).

There's already libgnumail-java, a free implementation of the JavaMail
API, in Debian.

--
GPG Key ID: 0xD6655C18
Linux Just Simply Rocks!
http://deathwing.penarmac.com/

Craig (candrews-integralblue) wrote :

The Java Advanced Imaging API provides a set of object-oriented interfaces that support a simple, high-level programming model which lets you manipulate images easily.

URL: http://java.sun.com/javase/technologies/desktop/media/jai/
License: JDL/JRL

Filed in Debian at http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=341776

According to https://jai-core.dev.java.net/issues/show_bug.cgi?id=35, a license change was requested, and accepted, in 2005. However, there have been no updates since, so I'm not sure what the licensing situation is exactly.

JAI seems to be still under the JDL/JRL. In 2005, a bug report was filed
requesting a license change, and upstream agreed.
https://jai-core.dev.java.net/issues/show_bug.cgi?id=35 However, there has
been no more news that I could find out this license change, and the
license in the source repository has not changed.

Seeing as Java is quickly opening up, can you release JAI under a more
open license, such as the GPL that is used for the JDK?

Thank you,
~Craig

Brian Murray (brian-murray) wrote :

*** This is an automated message ***

This bug is tagged needs-packaging which identifies it as a request for a new package in Ubuntu. As a part of the managing needs-packaging bug reports specification, https://wiki.ubuntu.com/QATeam/Specs/NeedsPackagingBugs, all needs-packaging bug reports have Wishlist importance. Subsequently, I'm setting this bug's status to Wishlist.

Is is possible to havve JAI in non-free meanwhile ?

Thanks,
--
Mathieu

On Wed, Sep 16, 2009 at 03:32:36PM +0200, Mathieu Malaterre wrote:
> Is is possible to havve JAI in non-free meanwhile ?

Have they changed their license meanwhile?

Cheers,
Michael

On Wed, Sep 16, 2009 at 3:59 PM, Michael Koch <email address hidden> wrote:
> On Wed, Sep 16, 2009 at 03:32:36PM +0200, Mathieu Malaterre wrote:
>> Is is possible to havve JAI in non-free meanwhile ?
>
> Have they changed their license meanwhile?

Obviously not. I would not be asking for non-free otherwise :)
I'd like to avoid redoing the debian/* files. Thanks.

--
Mathieu

On Wed, Sep 16, 2009 at 04:13:25PM +0200, Mathieu Malaterre wrote:
> On Wed, Sep 16, 2009 at 3:59 PM, Michael Koch <email address hidden> wrote:
> > On Wed, Sep 16, 2009 at 03:32:36PM +0200, Mathieu Malaterre wrote:
> >> Is is possible to havve JAI in non-free meanwhile ?
> >
> > Have they changed their license meanwhile?
>
> Obviously not. I would not be asking for non-free otherwise :)
> I'd like to avoid redoing the debian/* files. Thanks.

IIRC the old license was even unsuitable for non-free.

You can mail Arnaud directly about the debian/* files.

Cheers,
Michael

On Wed, Sep 16, 2009 at 3:34 PM, Michael Koch <email address hidden> wrote:
> On Wed, Sep 16, 2009 at 04:13:25PM +0200, Mathieu Malaterre wrote:
>> On Wed, Sep 16, 2009 at 3:59 PM, Michael Koch <email address hidden> wrote:
>> > On Wed, Sep 16, 2009 at 03:32:36PM +0200, Mathieu Malaterre wrote:
>> >> Is is possible to havve JAI in non-free meanwhile ?
>> >
>> > Have they changed their license meanwhile?
>>
>> Obviously not. I would not be asking for non-free otherwise :)
>> I'd like to avoid redoing the debian/* files. Thanks.
>
> IIRC the old license was even unsuitable for non-free.
>
> You can mail Arnaud directly about the debian/* files.

Hum, could someone confirm JAI has a new license:

https://jai-imageio-core.dev.java.net/

Summary The Java Advanced Imaging Image I/O Tools API Core
Categories None
License Berkeley Software Distribution (BSD) License
Owner(s) bpb

Who is this 'Arnaud' ? How do I contact him ?

Thanks,
--
Mathieu

On Mon, Jan 25, 2010 at 11:22 AM, Mathieu Malaterre
<email address hidden> wrote:
> Hum, could someone confirm JAI has a new license:
>
> https://jai-imageio-core.dev.java.net/

looks good

> Who is this 'Arnaud' ? How do I contact him ?

He was a Debian developer but he is no longer one. There is no point
in contacting him.

Cheers,
Torsten

On Mon, Jan 25, 2010 at 3:05 PM, Torsten Werner <email address hidden> wrote:
> On Mon, Jan 25, 2010 at 11:22 AM, Mathieu Malaterre
> <email address hidden> wrote:
>> Hum, could someone confirm JAI has a new license:
>>
>> https://jai-imageio-core.dev.java.net/
>

For some reason I got confused and mixed-up jai and jai-imageio

https://jai-core.dev.java.net/

The source code for the jai-core project is licensed under the Java
Research License (JRL) for non-commercial use.
From: https://jai.dev.java.net/

Sorry for the noise,
--
Mathieu

Changed in debian:
status: New → Fix Released
Johan Van de Wauw (johanvdw) wrote :

Debian closed this bug because it was a bug against a package (java-package) which no longer exists.
The issue remains.

Changed in debian:
importance: Unknown → Undecided
status: Fix Released → New
Johan Van de Wauw (johanvdw) wrote :
Changed in ubuntu:
status: Confirmed → Fix Released
To post a comment you must log in.
This report contains Public information  Edit
Everyone can see this information.

Other bug subscribers

Remote bug watches

Bug watches keep track of this bug in other bug trackers.