FMOD is a commercial audio library made by Firelight Technologies that play music files of diverse formats on many different platforms. It is often used in games and software applications to provide audio functionality. FMOD supports a range of audio formats and numerous different operating system platforms.
FMOD comes in two flavors, FMOD and FMOD Ex. "Ex" is the designation given to the 4.x series of the library. FMOD alone refers to version 3.75 of the library, which lacks much of format/platform support present in FMOD Ex.
FMOD is available under multiple license schemes. It is available free of charge for non-commercial applications. FMOD may be used commercially under a number of different license types, such as Commercial License for standard commercial development, Shareware/Hobbyist License for single hobbyist programmers, and eDistributed Console Games for budget console game. Each license contains different restrictions, conditions and costs.
FMOD Non-Commercial License
If your product is not intended for commercial gain and does not include the FMOD library for resale, license or other commercial distribution, then use of FMOD is free. Yes that's right, free from license fees!.
* No license fees for non-commercial applications
* When using this license, the FMOD library cannot be used for resale or other commercial distribution
* This license cannot be used for products which do not make profit but are still commercially released
* This license cannot be used for commercial services, where the executable containing fmod is not sold, but the data is.
* When using FMOD, a credit line is required in either documentation, or 'on screen' format (if possible). It should contain at least the words FMOD Sound System and Firelight Technologies. Logos are available for box or manual art, but are not mandantory. An example credit could be:
FMOD Sound System, copyright © Firelight Technologies Pty, Ltd., 1994-2007.
Note this in advance, as it must be done before shipping your product with FMOD.