Cant detect second harddrive

Bug #162234 reported by bornskilled200 on 2007-11-12
4
Affects Status Importance Assigned to Milestone
Ubuntu
Undecided
Unassigned

Bug Description

Currently i have installed Ubuntu 7.10 GG and loving it . Now to be
serious, for some reason Ubuntu cannot detect my second harddrive at
all.... This harddrive is where i store all my media and backups. The
harddrive is ntfs.
I have tried using this
guide(http://www.psychocats.net/ubuntu/mountwindows) but it did not
help me.

When i posted this thread on the forums and on the mailing list i got various information that people supposedly needed, here is that information.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
cat /etc/fstab

# /etc/fstab: static file system information.
#
# -- This file has been automaticly generated by ntfs-config --
#
# <file system> <mount point> <type> <options> <dump> <pass>

proc /proc proc defaults 0 0
/dev/sda1 /windows ntfs-3g defaults,locale=en_US.UTF-8 0 0
# Entry for /dev/sda2 :
UUID=1581d1f1-46da-4ef1-8b5c-79489209ad3b / ext3 defaults,errors=remount-ro 0 1
# Entry for /dev/sda5 :
UUID=17da03ee-a38c-4a9a-af24-2195d10810c5 none swap sw 0 0
/dev/scd0 /media/cdrom0 udf,iso9660 user,noauto,exec 0 0

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
sudo fdisk -l

Disk /dev/sda: 80.0 GB, 80026361856 bytes
255 heads, 63 sectors/track, 9729 cylinders
Units = cylinders of 16065 * 512 = 8225280 bytes
Disk identifier: 0x49104910

Device Boot Start End Blocks Id System
/dev/sda1 1 6414 51520423+ 7 HPFS/NTFS
/dev/sda2 * 6415 9586 25479090 83 Linux
/dev/sda3 9587 9729 1148647+ 5 Extended
/dev/sda5 9587 9729 1148616 82 Linux swap / Solaris

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
cd /dev
ls -l | grep brw | grep -v ram

brw------- 1 root root 7, 0 2007-10-15 19:18 loop0
brw-rw---- 1 root cdrom 11, 0 2007-11-09 15:58 scd0
brw-rw---- 1 root disk 8, 0 2007-11-09 15:58 sda
brw-rw---- 1 root disk 8, 1 2007-11-09 22:53 sda1
brw-rw---- 1 root disk 8, 2 2007-11-09 20:58 sda2
brw-rw---- 1 root disk 8, 5 2007-11-09 15:58 sda5

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
HardDrive Info
On Acronis Disk Director Suite it said the harddrive that has windows
on it is a IDE secondary master.(Note: My dad said that this drive is
a SATA but i'm not sure who is correct)
(Note PS, i looked in my computer and confirmed that my dad is correct and it is a SATA)
The media storing one is IDE primary master which has a cd-rom as a slave(the cd-rom is detected).Because i couldnt install
Ubuntu on my Media storing harddrive i put it on the harddrive that
has windows on it.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Other Info
I checked out my bios and it does detect the harddrive.
When i installed Ubuntu in the first place i couldnt detect the second
harddrive either.
I made a partition for Ubuntu by using Acronis Disk Suite,splitting my
80GB harddrive(The one that has windows xp on it) in 25gb for Ubuntu
and the rest for Windows xp.

On another related note whenever i refresh the devices in partition
editor it crashes im not sure but its probably related to this problem
also.

If you need any other information please ask because i really want to
get rid of this annoying thing >.<

jtholmes (jtholmes) wrote :

Thank you for your report.

According to the fdisk -l shown here you have an ntfs partition on sda1 and fstab
shows the same ntfs partition.
Not sure why Acronis says the windows partition is the secondary master when
you say ntfs on sda1 is on primary loop with a cd.

If you boot the live cd does it find the second hard drive.

.... this is weird... oh well, from what i know there is no freakin the
ubuntu can detect my 2cnd hard drive(including live cd) I even tried taking
out the sata drive and just putting in the ide, i tink the only way to
detect the hard drive is to update the linux kernal in the cd which i have
no idea on how to do. Tried putting up a laundpad thing, no one is
answering, doesnt really matter anymore, dont even use ubuntu that much.

On Jan 5, 2008 8:31 PM, jtholmes <email address hidden> wrote:

> Thank you for your report.
>
> According to the fdisk -l shown here you have an ntfs partition on sda1
> and fstab
> shows the same ntfs partition.
> Not sure why Acronis says the windows partition is the secondary master
> when
> you say ntfs on sda1 is on primary loop with a cd.
>
> If you boot the live cd does it find the second hard drive.
>
> --
> Cant detect second harddrive
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/162234
> You received this bug notification because you are a direct subscriber
> of the bug.
>

Adam Niedling (krychek) wrote :

I'm closing this bug as the original reporter mention he is not using Ubuntu frequently. Please reopen if you decide to test Hardy and the problem is still there.

To post a comment you must log in.
This report contains Public information  Edit
Everyone can see this information.

Other bug subscribers