Multiple cd burning problems

Reported by Bruno Dusausoy on 2004-11-24
6
Affects Status Importance Assigned to Milestone
Ubuntu
Medium
Unassigned

Bug Description

I have two IDE drives : /dev/hda is a harddisk and
/dev/hdb (/dev/cdrom) is my cd-writer.
I alse have a SCSI harddisk : /dev/sda
My Ubuntu is installed on /dev/sda2.

First, when I try to burn a cd with nautilus-cd-burner
as a normal user, it tells me :
"Reload rewritable or blank media
Please replace the in-drive media by a rewritable or blank media."
But the cd in the cd-writer _is_ blank.
N-c-b keeps telling me that message.

Then, when I try to burn (as a normal user, again) with cdrecord
in command-line with this command :
"cdrecord -v dev=ATAPI:/dev/cdrom driveropts=burnproof -data image.iso",
I get the following:
"cdrecord: Drive does not support TAO recording.
cdrecord: Illegal write mode for this drive."

Trying again with cdrecord, but this time as root, it works ... not
totally perfectly.
During burning, I see a strange behaviour :
Cdrecord burns 10-15Mbytes, then stop a fraction of second,
the buffer gets empty, the speed decreases,and then it restarts burning.

The results are a low average burning speed and some
buffer underruns (without any bad consequences),
as you can see in this output :
"Average write speed 16.0x
Total of 23 possible drive buffer underruns predicted."

My cd-writer is a 52x.

Weirder : if I burn an iso image placed on my IDE disk,
the burning process is a lot slower, cdrecord
hangs each time a few Mbytes are "burned" (5-6Mbytes)
and the average write speed decreases to reach
6x !!!

I've wondered if this was due to a 2.6.8 kernel problem,
so I installed a 2.6.7 (kernel-image-2.6.7-1-k7
from Ubuntu) ... same problem, but I noticed
a weird message I don't have with 2.6.8 :
"Nov 23 22:43:21 localhost kernel: cdrom: hdb: mrw address space DMA selected
Nov 23 22:43:21 localhost kernel:
Nov 23 22:43:21 localhost kernel: device-mapper: error adding target to table"
The latter is repeated several times.

Because I have a dual-boot Ubuntu/Debian-Sid,
I tried on my Debian (kernel 2.6.7-1-k7, the same as Ubuntu 2.6.7 one).
I have no problem writing an iso (no matter if this iso is placed
on my IDE or SCSI hard disk), it works well and fast.

I still use devfs on my Debian-Sid

Matt Zimmerman (mdz) wrote :

(In reply to comment #0)
> First, when I try to burn a cd with nautilus-cd-burner
> as a normal user, it tells me :
> "Reload rewritable or blank media
> Please replace the in-drive media by a rewritable or blank media."
> But the cd in the cd-writer _is_ blank.
> N-c-b keeps telling me that message.

Please attach the output from lshal when a blank media is inserted.

> Then, when I try to burn (as a normal user, again) with cdrecord
> in command-line with this command :
> "cdrecord -v dev=ATAPI:/dev/cdrom driveropts=burnproof -data image.iso",
> I get the following:
> "cdrecord: Drive does not support TAO recording.
> cdrecord: Illegal write mode for this drive."
>
> Trying again with cdrecord, but this time as root, it works ... not
> totally perfectly.

Make sure that the permissions on the device are correct, and that you are NOT
using ide-scsi emulation (as was necessary with older kernels).

> Weirder : if I burn an iso image placed on my IDE disk,
> the burning process is a lot slower, cdrecord
> hangs each time a few Mbytes are "burned" (5-6Mbytes)
> and the average write speed decreases to reach
> 6x !!!

It sounds like DMA is not enabled on your IDE disk.

> I've wondered if this was due to a 2.6.8 kernel problem,
> so I installed a 2.6.7 (kernel-image-2.6.7-1-k7
> from Ubuntu) ... same problem, but I noticed
> a weird message I don't have with 2.6.8 :
> "Nov 23 22:43:21 localhost kernel: cdrom: hdb: mrw address space DMA selected
> Nov 23 22:43:21 localhost kernel:
> Nov 23 22:43:21 localhost kernel: device-mapper: error adding target to table"
> The latter is repeated several times.

and apparently DMA *is* enabled on your CD device, at least with the 2.6.7 that
you tried, which sometimes does not work well.

> Because I have a dual-boot Ubuntu/Debian-Sid,
> I tried on my Debian (kernel 2.6.7-1-k7, the same as Ubuntu 2.6.7 one).
> I have no problem writing an iso (no matter if this iso is placed
> on my IDE or SCSI hard disk), it works well and fast.

Ubuntu does not have a 2.6.7 kernel. If you upgraded a Debian system to Ubuntu,
follow the instructions at http://www.ubuntulinux.org/wiki/WartyUpgradeNotes.
If you installed Warty from CD, you would have a 2.6.8.1 kernel.

Bruno Dusausoy (bdusauso) wrote :

Created an attachment (id=822)
lshal output

Bruno Dusausoy (bdusauso) wrote :

(In reply to comment #1)
> (In reply to comment #0)

> Please attach the output from lshal when a blank media is inserted.
>
done

> Make sure that the permissions on the device are correct, and that you are NOT
> using ide-scsi emulation (as was necessary with older kernels).
>
ide-scsi is neither in /etc/modules nor in the loaded modules list
Permissions seem to be ok :

lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 3 2004-11-29 10:54 /dev/cdrom -> hdb
brw-rw---- 1 root cdrom 3, 64 2004-11-29 10:54 /dev/hdb

And I'm in the "cdrom" group

> It sounds like DMA is not enabled on your IDE disk.
>
well, "hdparm -i /dev/hda |grep -i dma" tells me,
on 2.6.8-1-k7 from Ubuntu :

IORDY=on/off, tPIO={min:120,w/IORDY:120}, tDMA={min:120,rec:120}
DMA modes: mdma0 mdma1 mdma2
UDMA modes: udma0 udma1 *udma2 udma3 udma4 udma5 udma6

UDMA2 is enabled.

> and apparently DMA *is* enabled on your CD device, at least with the 2.6.7 that
> you tried, which sometimes does not work well.
>
here, too, is the ouptut of "hdparm -i /dev/hdb |grep -i dma"
on 2.6.8-1-k7 from Ubuntu:

IORDY=on/off, tPIO={min:120,w/IORDY:120}, tDMA={min:120,rec:120}
DMA modes: sdma0 sdma1 sdma2 mdma0 mdma1 mdma2
UDMA modes: udma0 udma1 *udma2

Yes, it seems to be enabled (at least for UDMA)

> Ubuntu does not have a 2.6.7 kernel. If you upgraded a Debian system to Ubuntu,
> follow the instructions at http://www.ubuntulinux.org/wiki/WartyUpgradeNotes.
> If you installed Warty from CD, you would have a 2.6.8.1 kernel.
>
In fact, it has a 2.6.7 kernel, but only in the "universe" repository.
I've installed Ubuntu from the warty cd on a new partition. So it's clean.

Note : I already had some trouble with my SCSI configuration, see bug #8156.
If it can help ...

Bruno Dusausoy (bdusauso) wrote :

(In reply to comment #3)
> (In reply to comment #1)
> > (In reply to comment #0)

> well, "hdparm -i /dev/hda |grep -i dma" tells me,
> on 2.6.8-1-k7 from Ubuntu :
>
It's a 2.6.8.1-3-k7 actually. My mistake.

Matt Zimmerman (mdz) wrote :

I can't think of a reason why you would get that TAO error when running as a
user, but not as root.

Uphaar Agrawalla (uphaar) wrote :

(In reply to comment #0)
> I have two IDE drives : /dev/hda is a harddisk and
> /dev/hdb (/dev/cdrom) is my cd-writer.
> I alse have a SCSI harddisk : /dev/sda
> My Ubuntu is installed on /dev/sda2.
>
> First, when I try to burn a cd with nautilus-cd-burner
> as a normal user, it tells me :
> "Reload rewritable or blank media
> Please replace the in-drive media by a rewritable or blank media."
> But the cd in the cd-writer _is_ blank.
> N-c-b keeps telling me that message.

Hi,
This bug was fixed in n-c-b when GNOME 2.10 / Hoary was released. It was because
of some issue with the blank CD getting mounted IIRC. Do you still experience
the problem?

Kai F. Lahmann (kl) wrote :

reopen, if you can still see the bug.

Bruno Dusausoy (bdusauso) wrote :

n-c-b now works perfectly.
I still can't burn cd's with a non-root account though, I have to burn them
through sudo.
I can also use some frontend (eg. Gnomebaker, it works fine) with a non-root
account.

To post a comment you must log in.
This report contains Public information  Edit
Everyone can see this information.

Other bug subscribers

Bug attachments

Remote bug watches

Bug watches keep track of this bug in other bug trackers.