Binutils templates translated but strings are in English

Reported by Sergio Zanchetta on 2012-03-16
6
This bug affects 1 person
Affects Status Importance Assigned to Milestone
Ubuntu Translations
Low
Unassigned
binutils
New
Undecided
Unassigned
binutils (Ubuntu)
Undecided
Unassigned

Bug Description

Strings from binutils templates show up in English, although there are translations available.

https://translations.launchpad.net/ubuntu/precise/+source/binutils

Binutils package has 7 templates:
bfd
binutils
gas
gold
gprof
ld
opcodes
---
ApportVersion: 1.94.1-0ubuntu2
Architecture: i386
CasperVersion: 1.311
DistroRelease: Ubuntu 12.04
LiveMediaBuild: Ubuntu 12.04 "Precise" - Build i386 LIVE Binary 20120317-11:53
Package: binutils 2.22-6ubuntu1
PackageArchitecture: i386
ProcEnviron:
 TERM=xterm
 LANG=it_IT.UTF-8
 SHELL=/bin/bash
ProcVersionSignature: Ubuntu 3.2.0-18.29-generic-pae 3.2.9
Tags: precise
Uname: Linux 3.2.0-18-generic-pae i686
UpgradeStatus: No upgrade log present (probably fresh install)
UserGroups: adm cdrom dip lpadmin plugdev sambashare sudo

apport information

tags: added: apport-collected precise
description: updated
Ubuntu QA Website (ubuntuqa) wrote :

This bug has been reported on the Ubuntu localized ISO testing tracker.

A list of all reports related to this bug can be found here:
http://localized-iso.qa.ubuntu.com/qatracker/reports/bugs/956797

tags: added: iso-testing localized-iso
Sergio Zanchetta (primes2h) wrote :

Tested with both italian (gprof, ld, opcodes, gold) and German (gprof) languages. They are not translated.

Yuri Chornoivan (yurchor-gmail) wrote :

binutils-2.21 (Ubuntu 12.04 version) was released 26-08-2011:

http://ftp.gnu.org/gnu/binutils/

This package is translated upstream (Translation Project). It seems Ubuntu maintainers do not patch it with Ubuntu translations or take it directly from Debian. The last version was uploaded 2011-12-23:

https://launchpad.net/ubuntu/oneiric/+source/binutils

So it seems Launchpad template is given just for the reference as well as many other templates:

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Translations/KnowledgeBase

Sergio Zanchetta (primes2h) wrote :

Some of the translations are available since 2003 (e.g the gprof German one), see:

http://translationproject.org/domain/gprof.html

David (dpm) , do you think could be related to this other fixed bug about libc?

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/eglibc/+bug/670678

Al 21/03/12 10:32, En/na Yuri Chornoivan ha escrit:
> Well, Ubuntu does not package any translations (does not mean how old
> they are):
>
> http://packages.ubuntu.com/precise/i386/binutils/filelist
>

Indeed, no translations are shipped in the binary packages themselves,
but they are imported into Launchpad and then shipped in the language packs.

Sergio, do you see any of the .mo files corresponding to the templates
in your /usr/share/locale-langpack/it/LC_MESSAGES directory?

> Cf. (Fedora):
>
> http://rpm.pbone.net/index.php3/stat/6/idpl/17354504/dir/fedora_16/com/binutils-2.21.53.0.1-2.fc16.i686.rpm
>

--
David Planella
Ubuntu Translations Coordinator
www.ubuntu.com / www.davidplanella.wordpress.com
www.identi.ca/dplanella / www.twitter.com/dplanella

2012/3/21 David Planella <email address hidden>:
> Sergio, do you see any of the .mo files corresponding to the templates
> in your /usr/share/locale-langpack/it/LC_MESSAGES directory?
>

Yes, they are present (6 out of 7, gas is not because no string is
translated in LP I think)

Anyway it seems that number of translated strings in mo and launchpad
doesn't match, but I need to analyze it deeper.

--
Sergio Zanchetta
https://launchpad.net/~primes2h

David Planella (dpm) wrote :

Al 21/03/12 12:37, En/na Sergio Zanchetta ha escrit:
> 2012/3/21 David Planella <email address hidden>:
>> Sergio, do you see any of the .mo files corresponding to the templates
>> in your /usr/share/locale-langpack/it/LC_MESSAGES directory?
>>
>
> Yes, they are present (6 out of 7, gas is not because no string is
> translated in LP I think)
>

That points to the translations being shipped correctly in language
packs, but them not being loaded. Perhaps the translation domain is not
being set correctly?

> Anyway it seems that number of translated strings in mo and launchpad
> doesn't match, but I need to analyze it deeper.
>

I believe they should, as if they are shipped, they probably come from
Launchpad, but let us know about the outcome of your research.

--
David Planella
Ubuntu Translations Coordinator
www.ubuntu.com / www.davidplanella.wordpress.com
www.identi.ca/dplanella / www.twitter.com/dplanella

Sergio Zanchetta (primes2h) wrote :

2012/3/21 David Planella <email address hidden>:
>> Anyway it seems that number of translated strings in mo and launchpad
>> doesn't match, but I need to analyze it deeper.
>>
>
> I believe they should, as if they are shipped, they probably come from
> Launchpad, but let us know about the outcome of your research.

Yes, they do match, I've looked at the wrong package. ;-)

>> Yes, they are present (6 out of 7, gas is not because no string is
>> translated in LP I think)
>>
>
> That points to the translations being shipped correctly in language
> packs, but them not being loaded. Perhaps the translation domain is not
> being set correctly?
>

Could be, where should I look for this kind of files?

--
Sergio Zanchetta
https://launchpad.net/~primes2h

David Planella (dpm) wrote :

Al 21/03/12 14:38, En/na Sergio Zanchetta ha escrit:
> 2012/3/21 David Planella <email address hidden>:
>>> Anyway it seems that number of translated strings in mo and launchpad
>>> doesn't match, but I need to analyze it deeper.
>>>
>>
>> I believe they should, as if they are shipped, they probably come from
>> Launchpad, but let us know about the outcome of your research.
>
> Yes, they do match, I've looked at the wrong package. ;-)
>
>
>>> Yes, they are present (6 out of 7, gas is not because no string is
>>> translated in LP I think)
>>>
>>
>> That points to the translations being shipped correctly in language
>> packs, but them not being loaded. Perhaps the translation domain is not
>> being set correctly?
>>
>
> Could be, where should I look for this kind of files?
>

You could use 'strace <program>' to see the open() syscalls. There you
can see which .mo files are being opened (or trying to be) whenever the
<program> is executed.

E.g. looking at gold, from binutils, which is mentioned in the bug:

strace man 2>&1 | grep open

Seems that it's not even trying to load any .mo files. Perhaps an
upstream bug?

--
David Planella
Ubuntu Translations Coordinator
www.ubuntu.com / www.davidplanella.wordpress.com
www.identi.ca/dplanella / www.twitter.com/dplanella

Sergio Zanchetta (primes2h) wrote :

@Yuri
Thank you very much.
Could you please mark it as Confirmed?

Gabor Kelemen (kelemeng) on 2012-04-08
Changed in binutils (Ubuntu):
status: New → Confirmed
Changed in ubuntu-translations:
status: New → Triaged
importance: Undecided → Low
Matthias Klose (doko) wrote :

fixed for binutils 2.23 (which is in quantal)

Changed in binutils (Ubuntu):
status: Confirmed → Fix Released
To post a comment you must log in.
This report contains Public information  Edit
Everyone can see this information.

Other bug subscribers