software-center crashed with signal 5 in _XReadEvents()

Bug #1187893 reported by James on 2013-06-05
328
This bug affects 74 people
Affects Status Importance Assigned to Milestone
Ubuntu GNOME
Undecided
Gatis Mihnevics

Bug Description

When I open the Ubuntu Software Centre, it closes after a second or two. I briefly see the screen as it should be, showing apps available for download.

ProblemType: Crash
DistroRelease: Ubuntu 13.04
Package: software-center 5.6.0-0ubuntu3 [origin: LP-PPA-gnome3-team-gnome3]
ProcVersionSignature: Ubuntu 3.8.0-23.34-generic 3.8.11
Uname: Linux 3.8.0-23-generic x86_64
NonfreeKernelModules: wl
ApportVersion: 2.9.2-0ubuntu8.1
Architecture: amd64
CrashCounter: 1
Date: Wed Jun 5 19:46:00 2013
ExecutablePath: /usr/share/software-center/software-center
InstallationDate: Installed on 2013-05-16 (20 days ago)
InstallationMedia: Ubuntu 13.04 "Raring Ringtail" - Release amd64+mac (20130424)
InterpreterPath: /usr/bin/python2.7
MarkForUpload: True
PackageArchitecture: all
ProcCmdline: /usr/bin/python /usr/bin/software-center apt:ppa-purge
ProcEnviron:
 LANGUAGE=en_GB:en
 PATH=(custom, user)
 XDG_RUNTIME_DIR=<set>
 LANG=en_GB.UTF-8
 SHELL=/bin/bash
Signal: 5
SourcePackage: software-center
StacktraceTop:
 ?? () from /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libX11.so.6
 ?? () from /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libX11.so.6
 _XReadEvents () from /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libX11.so.6
 ?? () from /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libcairo.so.2
 cairo_surface_flush () from /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libcairo.so.2
Title: software-center crashed with signal 5 in _XReadEvents()
UpgradeStatus: No upgrade log present (probably fresh install)
UserGroups: adm cdrom dip lpadmin plugdev sambashare sudo

James (j-fallon1997) wrote :
Tim Lunn (darkxst) on 2013-06-05
information type: Private → Public

When I open the SoftwareCenter suddenly closes and displays a notification reporting the bug, but when I try to open a second time, this time it works.

Ok, I fixed it myself, but the bug was partly my fault it turns out. LOL

I had some gnome 3.8 stuff installed that was messing with lightdm and that
seemed to be causing problems with a few apps. I'm all sorted now :D

On 6 June 2013 15:35, Edgar Roberto Castellanos García <
<email address hidden>> wrote:

> When I open the SoftwareCenter suddenly closes and displays a
> notification reporting the bug, but when I try to open a second time,
> this time it works.
>
> --
> You received this bug notification because you are subscribed to the bug
> report.
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/1187893
>
> Title:
> software-center crashed with signal 5 in _XReadEvents()
>
> Status in Ubuntu GNOME:
> New
>
> Bug description:
> When I open the Ubuntu Software Centre, it closes after a second or
> two. I briefly see the screen as it should be, showing apps available
> for download.
>
> ProblemType: Crash
> DistroRelease: Ubuntu 13.04
> Package: software-center 5.6.0-0ubuntu3 [origin:
> LP-PPA-gnome3-team-gnome3]
> ProcVersionSignature: Ubuntu 3.8.0-23.34-generic 3.8.11
> Uname: Linux 3.8.0-23-generic x86_64
> NonfreeKernelModules: wl
> ApportVersion: 2.9.2-0ubuntu8.1
> Architecture: amd64
> CrashCounter: 1
> Date: Wed Jun 5 19:46:00 2013
> ExecutablePath: /usr/share/software-center/software-center
> InstallationDate: Installed on 2013-05-16 (20 days ago)
> InstallationMedia: Ubuntu 13.04 "Raring Ringtail" - Release amd64+mac
> (20130424)
> InterpreterPath: /usr/bin/python2.7
> MarkForUpload: True
> PackageArchitecture: all
> ProcCmdline: /usr/bin/python /usr/bin/software-center apt:ppa-purge
> ProcEnviron:
> LANGUAGE=en_GB:en
> PATH=(custom, user)
> XDG_RUNTIME_DIR=<set>
> LANG=en_GB.UTF-8
> SHELL=/bin/bash
> Signal: 5
> SourcePackage: software-center
> StacktraceTop:
> ?? () from /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libX11.so.6
> ?? () from /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libX11.so.6
> _XReadEvents () from /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libX11.so.6
> ?? () from /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libcairo.so.2
> cairo_surface_flush () from /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libcairo.so.2
> Title: software-center crashed with signal 5 in _XReadEvents()
> UpgradeStatus: No upgrade log present (probably fresh install)
> UserGroups: adm cdrom dip lpadmin plugdev sambashare sudo
>
> To manage notifications about this bug go to:
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu-gnome/+bug/1187893/+subscriptions
>

--
from James Fallon

Dhruv (meetsangvikar) wrote :

I think this happens only after upgrading gnome 3.6 to 3.8 using the gnome3 ppa.

orjeda (orjeda-2) wrote :

On 10.06.2013 13:59, Dhruv wrote:
> I think this happens only after upgrading gnome 3.6 to 3.8 using the
> gnome3 ppa.
>
i believe it too.

Martins K. (martinsk89) wrote :

> I think this happens only after upgrading gnome 3.6 to 3.8 using the gnome3 ppa.

It seems to be quite likely; I had upgraded gnome to 3.8 and encountered this bug. Recently I purged the gnome3 ppa and downgraded gnome to 3.6, now the software-center again works without any problems.

I boiled it down to
libwebkitgtk-3.0-0_2.0.2-1ubuntu1~13.04~ricotz3_i386.deb
or
libjavascriptcoregtk-3.0-0_2.0.2-1ubuntu1~13.04~ricotz3_i386.deb

since both packages depend on each other I can't tell which package is causing the problem
What now? Where or whom to report?

James D. Gilbert (gilbert3b2g) wrote :

This bug also affected me

Changed in ubuntu-gnome:
status: New → Confirmed
status: Confirmed → New
Changed in ubuntu-gnome:
assignee: nobody → Gatis Mihnevics (chigaans88)
status: New → Incomplete
To post a comment you must log in.
This report contains Public information  Edit
Everyone can see this information.

Other bug subscribers