turnkey hub mx record interface broken

Reported by gabe trxstr on 2011-06-02
6
This bug affects 1 person
Affects Status Importance Assigned to Milestone
TurnKey Linux
Fix Released
Medium
Alon Swartz

Bug Description

The turnkey hub mx record interface only allows a single mx record at a time. When you try to add a second record, you get an error which may be coming from the underlying route 53 aws service. I used interstate 53 to add a full set of mx records and it also had the error when trying to add a record but supports a batch update which works as long as there is no existing mx record.

Alon Swartz (alonswartz) on 2011-06-02
Changed in turnkeylinux:
status: New → Confirmed
Alon Swartz (alonswartz) wrote :

Is this the error you received?

    Tried to create resource record set $DOMAIN., type MX but it already exists

I never came across this during testing, as I only tested adding multiple MX records by specifying subdomain delegation.

The solution seems to be using the "batch update", which shouldn't be very difficult to implement.

Could you please provide the MX records you want to create so I can use them as a test case to make sure the fix works as expected (you can replace your domain name with DOMAIN if you like).

Thanks for reporting the issue BTW.

Changed in turnkeylinux:
assignee: nobody → Alon Swartz (alonswartz)

Hi Alon,

responses inline...

On Wed, Jun 1, 2011 at 11:22 PM, Alon Swartz <email address hidden> wrote:

> Is this the error you received?
>
> Tried to create resource record set $DOMAIN., type MX but it already
> exists
>
Yup, that's the one.

>
> I never came across this during testing, as I only tested adding
> multiple MX records by specifying subdomain delegation.
>
> The solution seems to be using the "batch update", which shouldn't be
> very difficult to implement.
>

Could you please provide the MX records you want to create so I can use
> them as a test case to make sure the fix works as expected (you can
> replace your domain name with DOMAIN if you like).

I'm delegating extranet services to Google Apps and the email configuration
settings
are documented at
http://www.google.com/support/a/bin/answer.py?answer=174125.
These are slightly different than what I added which is a little worrying. I
migrated the
domain from namecheap which had a convenient MX record auto-generate button
for Google Apps
which I used. I should probably go back and use the "canonical" settings
from the Google
page.

>

Thanks for reporting the issue BTW.
>

Glad to help,

Gabe

>
> ** Changed in: turnkeylinux
> Assignee: (unassigned) => Alon Swartz (alonswartz)
>
> --
> You received this bug notification because you are a direct subscriber
> of the bug.
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/791687
>
> Title:
> turnkey hub mx record interface broken
>
> Status in TurnKey Linux:
> Confirmed
>
> Bug description:
> The turnkey hub mx record interface only allows a single mx record at
> a time. When you try to add a second record, you get an error which
> may be coming from the underlying route 53 aws service. I used
> interstate 53 to add a full set of mx records and it also had the
> error when trying to add a record but supports a batch update which
> works as long as there is no existing mx record.
>
> To unsubscribe from this bug, go to:
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/turnkeylinux/+bug/791687/+subscribe
>

Alon Swartz (alonswartz) on 2011-06-03
Changed in turnkeylinux:
importance: Undecided → Medium
Alon Swartz (alonswartz) wrote :

Hi Gabe, I just updated the Hub with the new functionality that should allow you manage multiple MX records. It would be great if you could confirm that it works as expected.

Changed in turnkeylinux:
status: Confirmed → Fix Released
gabe trxstr (hub-tkl) wrote :

confirmed that new functionality works as expected.

Thanks,

Gabe

To post a comment you must log in.
This report contains Public information  Edit
Everyone can see this information.

Other bug subscribers