Notes sync errors with: Thread has not been started, or is dead

Bug #564262 reported by Joshua Hoover on 2010-04-15
38
This bug affects 7 people
Affects Status Importance Assigned to Milestone
tomboy
Unknown
Medium
tomboy (Ubuntu)
Low
Unassigned

Bug Description

User has synced notes successfully in the past. Using Lucid Beta with all the latest updates. Gets the following error in Tomboy debug mode when attempting to synchronize notes:

[ERROR]: Synchronization failed with the following exception: Thread has not been started, or is dead.
  at (wrapper managed-to-native) System.Threading.Thread:Resume_internal ()
  at System.Threading.Thread.Resume () [0x00000]
  at Tomboy.Sync.SyncManager.ResolveConflict (SyncTitleConflictResolution resolution) [0x00000]
  at Tomboy.Sync.SilentUI.NoteConflictDetected (Tomboy.NoteManager manager, Tomboy.Note localConflictNote, Tomboy.Sync.NoteUpdate remoteNote, IList`1 noteUpdateTitles) [0x00000]
  at Tomboy.Sync.SyncManager.SynchronizationThread () [0x00000]

Joshua Hoover (joshuahoover) wrote :
visibility: private → public

This looks like a Tomboy bug, not a U1 bug, though I've never seen it before. Does this happen repeatedly?

Joshua Hoover (joshuahoover) wrote :

Sandy,

Yes, this is happening repeatedly according to the user (via IRC). He said he's tried syncing a number of times and always gets a failed sync. I had him turn debug mode on to capture any errors. The user has tried to reset the Ubuntu One sync with no change in the results.

Thanks,

Joshua

Jason Brooks (jasonbrooks) wrote :

Hey guys, I got this working last night by deleting all the (old), (old) 1, etc notes from my machine, setting up the web sync again, syncing down all those old dupes, deleting them again, and then syncing. That did the trick. It seems to me that there was some confusion between the u1 servers and my client among all the many dupes that had piled up through the course of my testing this -- I've been testing/using tb sync for as long as it's been available.

I'm glad it's working now, but this was probably still a real bug. I'll have to do more testing with autosync's conflict handling and make sure I didn't miss anything. A cursory overview of the code doesn't reveal anything that would cause the sync thread to have trouble resuming.

Rodrigo Moya (rodrigo-moya) wrote :

Sandy, so do you think it's a bug in Tomboy then? Should we reassign?

Yes, it really seems to be a Tomboy bug.

Of course, there could be a component to it that's a U1 bug, but we'd need more information to be sure.

Rodrigo Moya (rodrigo-moya) wrote :

Chaging project. When we have more information, we can add a task for ubuntuone-servers

affects: ubuntuone-servers → tomboy
Miklos Juhasz (mjuhasz) wrote :

I keep getting this with Oneiric as well, on two different installations.

Aaron Borden (adborden) on 2011-12-12
Changed in tomboy:
assignee: Ubuntu One Desktop+ team (ubuntuone-desktop+) → nobody
importance: High → Unknown
status: Confirmed → Unknown
Changed in tomboy:
importance: Unknown → Medium
status: Unknown → In Progress
Changed in tomboy (Ubuntu):
importance: Undecided → Low
status: New → Triaged
Jeroen Hoek (mail-jeroenhoek) wrote :

I was bitten by this bug in Oneiric. This is a potentially very destructive bug. Tomboy will sort of sync its notes, and say that something failed, but show a list of updates notes. I only noticed that 34 (!) notes were never synched to Ubuntu One when I was configuring a new laptop. I had to manually copy over the missing notes.

The tricky thing is that since Ubuntu One dropped its notes web-interface, the average user won't even know something is wrong until he has lost his data.

Changed in tomboy:
status: In Progress → Unknown
To post a comment you must log in.
This report contains Public information  Edit
Everyone can see this information.

Other bug subscribers

Remote bug watches

Bug watches keep track of this bug in other bug trackers.