Native INDI support

Bug #890007 reported by nacho mas on 2011-11-13
20
This bug affects 3 people
Affects Status Importance Assigned to Milestone
Stellarium
Wishlist
Bogdan Marinov

Bug Description

For telescope control native INDI (http://www.indilib.org/) support would be great.

treaves (treaves) wrote :

As opposed to non- native INDI support?

nacho mas (mas-ignacio) wrote :

I am the owner of a ieq45 GEM and in order to connect it with stellarium I have to install TelescopeServerRTS2 plus with rts2-teld-indi-bridge.

Sorry if I ma wrong but my feeling is that direct driver is not needed if Stellarium support both ASCOM and INDI. It will be take advantage off those great sister projects projects and telescope plug-in would be more simple . As side effect Stellarium support for other device like focusers or CCD will be posible.

Bogdan Marinov (daggerstab) wrote :

Support for both INDI and ASCOM has been under development for quite some time. The main factors slowing down the development are the inexperience of the developer, his chronic inability to manage his time and the fact that this is not the only feature of Stellarium that he has to work on.

The code written so far is here:
https://code.launchpad.net/~stellarium/stellarium/telescope-control-0-4-0

If you are a developer, you can try building it to see the progress. There's some limited ASCOM support (basically the same functions as now, but via ASCOM) and an unfinished and buggy INDI control panel.

Changed in stellarium:
assignee: nobody → Bogdan Marinov (daggerstab)
importance: Undecided → Wishlist
milestone: none → 1.0.0
status: New → In Progress
summary: - wishlist: Native INDI support
+ Native INDI support
nacho mas (mas-ignacio) wrote :

Hi Bogdan,

I tested it. good job! I encourage you to dedicate more time! Give up the other features. This is the important one! :-) In the meantime I check your code trying to contribute...

Why do you avoid using indilib? It is well suited to do clients see: http://indilib.org/index.php?title=Developing_INDI_clients.

Nacho Mas

Bogdan Marinov (daggerstab) wrote :

Reasons for not using libindi directly:
- portability: Stellarium's INDI _client_ is supposed to work on all of Stellarium's supported platforms: Windows, Mac OS and Linux. This rules out dynamic linking, as there is no official port of libindi to Windows, AFAIK.
- bloat: including only the relevant parts of the library in Stellarium's code may solve the above problem, but will lead to others, such as keeping the foreign code up-to-date.

The problems that stopped the development of the plug-in:
- the fact that INDI is not pure XML, so tricks were needed to convince Qt's XML parsers to handle it;
- it turned out that some BLOBs will be too big and will have to be handled in parts, which meant re-writing most of the XML handling code - either trying to fix it or replacing it with a Qt wrapper of lilxml or whatever INDI's parser is called;
- it also turned out that the underlying code of Stellarium's telescope control plug-in also needed to be re-written to better accommodate three diferent architectures and various error states;
- author burnout facing all of the above and the need to continue his education.

I'll probably continue to work on the plug-in after I fix the current crisis, that is, the plug-ins translation mess-up.

tags: removed: wishlist
tags: added: telescope-control
Changed in stellarium:
milestone: 1.0.0 → none
To post a comment you must log in.
This report contains Public information  Edit
Everyone can see this information.

Duplicates of this bug

Other bug subscribers