Planet trails are buggy in some projection modes.
Affected projection modes:
- perspective (phantom fragments of the trails are projected in the wrong places and move independently from the star field)
- Hammer-Aitoff (probably a separate problem - trails are not rendered correctly when their ends are on opposite sides of the projected star field)
- cylinder (same problem as with Hammer-Aitoff)
- Mercator (same problem as with Hammer-Aitoff)
- orthographic (same problem as with perspective projection)
See this thread in the Feedback forum for the user report that prompted this bug report: