Mass conversion limited to 180-200 files

Bug #784926 reported by Yaroslav Zubkov on 2011-05-18
14
This bug affects 3 people
Affects Status Importance Assigned to Milestone
SoundConverter
Medium
GautierPortet

Bug Description

I have SoundConverter 1.5.3 on Fedora 14 and I am converting many wavs into oggs. The application gets frozen. CPU usage flatlines at 50% and only the first 2 files in the queue gets converted. In addition the GUI is not updated as reported in another bug. I have left it in that state for couple of hours just to be sure that it is stuck and is not converting. If I try to convert fewer files everything works. I get mixed results with various batch sizes, so I do not think this limit is hard-coded in the app. Never had any luck with batches over 190. Sometimes a batch of 185 will process 15-20 files and gets stuck also. Great app otherwise. Good luck.

nloewen (nloewen) wrote :

This also affects 1.5.3 on Ubuntu 11.04.

GautierPortet (kassoulet) wrote :

Weird. each release is tested with a run of tens of thousands of conversions.
I'll investigate...

Changed in soundconverter:
assignee: nobody → GautierPortet (kassoulet)
Steven Vancoillie (steabert) wrote :

I have a similar issue with SoundConverter 1.5.4 (on Arch Linux) trying to convert a few thousand flac to mp3. Files are read and listed correctly, as well as the tags. After that, when I hit the convert button, the program gets stuck at some point.

Steven Vancoillie (steabert) wrote :

I found a work-around, at least for my problem:

it seems gobject.timeout_add is called on every add to the ConverterQueue, leading to a huge number of calls to the set_progress method which were hanging my computer. I removed that call, and instead added a line to the else statement in the do_convert method, before self.converter.start() and this worked fine.

This is only for 1.5.4, and I saw that the code has been completely restuctured in the trunk, with timeout_add being called indeed once in the do_convert.

grtz

GautierPortet (kassoulet) wrote :

Ok, so it should be fixed in the next release.

Changed in soundconverter:
milestone: none → 2.0
importance: Undecided → Medium
status: New → Fix Committed
Changed in soundconverter:
status: Fix Committed → Fix Released
To post a comment you must log in.
This report contains Public information  Edit
Everyone can see this information.

Other bug subscribers