Unreliably converts multiple flac files -- cuts one track into another

Bug #1881376 reported by ethanay on 2020-05-30
6
This bug affects 1 person
Affects Status Importance Assigned to Milestone
SoundConverter
Undecided
GautierPortet

Bug Description

While converting my flac rip of an album to low quality ogg for playback on mobile devices, I need to convert one file at a time to ensure integrity. If I convert multiple files at a time, soundconverter will fail in one of several ways:

1. It will stop without giving an indicator of what track(s) were successful and which track(s) failed

2. It will crash (again without a log of what succeeded and what failed)

3. Even if it succeeds, it can produce a strange error where it cuts a portion from one of the other tracks being encoded and pastes it into the end of the track in question, overwriting its track data, but only for a few seconds, and then it cuts back to the original track. I am attaching a screenshot of the resulting waveform.

SoundConverter version 3.0.2
Pop!_OS 20.04
$ uname -a
Linux pop-os 5.4.0-7629-generic #33~1589834512~20.04~ff6e79e-Ubuntu SMP Mon May 18 23:29:32 UTC x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux

I will get an audio excerpt to post as well, and see if I can replicate the bug with the --debug flag engaged.

ethanay (ethan-y-us) wrote :
ethanay (ethan-y-us) wrote :

See attached for audio excerpt.

Both channels cut to the next track, then cut back to the current track, then the left channel cuts to another track entirely.

ethanay (ethan-y-us) wrote :

It would be nice for SC to log its activity by default and present the log to the user as an option upon task completion, so the user can review and determine if failure where and how to proceed.

sezanzeb (sezanzeb) wrote :

Can you please run soundconverter in a console to check the output during the crash and post it here, if you haven't already tried that?

I just realized the console output is cluttered with some numbers that are being printed during conversion, so the output might be a bit long.

sezanzeb (sezanzeb) wrote :

I'm working on some improved logs right now that may print some more useful information. I'll let you know when it's done

sezanzeb (sezanzeb) wrote :

Please make sure your gstreamer packages are up to date

sezanzeb (sezanzeb) wrote :

https://github.com/kassoulet/soundconverter/pull/32/

you can either wait for this PR to get eventually merged or compile that branch yourself. Then start soundconverter over the console and paste the console log output here.

Changed in soundconverter:
assignee: nobody → GautierPortet (kassoulet)
GautierPortet (kassoulet) wrote :

Can't reproduce the issue here.

ethanay (ethan-y-us) wrote :

I can pipe the output to a text file.

So to clarify, to provide the console output you are seeking, I need to compile SoundConverter from source once the PR is merged (I don't know how to compile branches), and you do NOT want console output from the current version I am reporting the bug against?

Thank you!

GautierPortet (kassoulet) wrote :

Hi,

You can first paste here the ouput of a problematic run with --debug flag first. With you already installed SoundConverter. It may be enough to identify the problem.

Thank you.

Ok, I think I can do that before the end of the week. Putting it into
my queue. Thank you!

On Fri, Jun 5, 2020 at 05:36, GautierPortet
<email address hidden> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> You can first paste here the ouput of a problematic run with --debug
> flag first. With you already installed SoundConverter. It may be
> enough
> to identify the problem.
>
> Thank you.
>
> --
> You received this bug notification because you are subscribed to the
> bug
> report.
> <https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/1881376>
>
> Title:
> Unreliably converts multiple flac files -- cuts one track into
> another
>
> Status in SoundConverter:
> New
>
> Bug description:
> While converting my flac rip of an album to low quality ogg for
> playback on mobile devices, I need to convert one file at a time to
> ensure integrity. If I convert multiple files at a time,
> soundconverter will fail in one of several ways:
>
> 1. It will stop without giving an indicator of what track(s) were
> successful and which track(s) failed
>
> 2. It will crash (again without a log of what succeeded and what
> failed)
>
> 3. Even if it succeeds, it can produce a strange error where it
> cuts a
> portion from one of the other tracks being encoded and pastes it
> into
> the end of the track in question, overwriting its track data, but
> only
> for a few seconds, and then it cuts back to the original track. I am
> attaching a screenshot of the resulting waveform.
>
> SoundConverter version 3.0.2
> Pop!_OS 20.04
> $ uname -a
> Linux pop-os 5.4.0-7629-generic #33~1589834512~20.04~ff6e79e-Ubuntu
> SMP Mon May 18 23:29:32 UTC x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux
>
> I will get an audio excerpt to post as well, and see if I can
> replicate the bug with the --debug flag engaged.
>
> To manage notifications about this bug go to:
> <https://bugs.launchpad.net/soundconverter/+bug/1881376/+subscriptions>

ethanay (ethan-y-us) wrote :

Sorry, I had computer problems/filesystem transitions.

I just did this, will post the log after the weekend.

On Tue, Jun 9, 2020 at 21:02, Ethan Young <email address hidden> wrote:
> Ok, I think I can do that before the end of the week. Putting it into
> my queue. Thank you!
>
> On Fri, Jun 5, 2020 at 05:36, GautierPortet
> <email address hidden> wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> You can first paste here the ouput of a problematic run with --debug
>> flag first. With you already installed SoundConverter. It may be
>> enough
>> to identify the problem.
>>
>> Thank you.
>>
>> --
>> You received this bug notification because you are subscribed to the
>> bug
>> report.
>> <https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/1881376>
>>
>> Title:
>> Unreliably converts multiple flac files -- cuts one track into
>> another
>>
>> Status in SoundConverter:
>> New
>>
>> Bug description:
>> While converting my flac rip of an album to low quality ogg for
>> playback on mobile devices, I need to convert one file at a time to
>> ensure integrity. If I convert multiple files at a time,
>> soundconverter will fail in one of several ways:
>>
>> 1. It will stop without giving an indicator of what track(s) were
>> successful and which track(s) failed
>>
>> 2. It will crash (again without a log of what succeeded and what
>> failed)
>>
>> 3. Even if it succeeds, it can produce a strange error where it
>> cuts a
>> portion from one of the other tracks being encoded and pastes it
>> into
>> the end of the track in question, overwriting its track data, but
>> only
>> for a few seconds, and then it cuts back to the original track. I
>> am
>> attaching a screenshot of the resulting waveform.
>>
>> SoundConverter version 3.0.2
>> Pop!_OS 20.04
>> $ uname -a
>> Linux pop-os 5.4.0-7629-generic
>> #33~1589834512~20.04~ff6e79e-Ubuntu SMP Mon May 18 23:29:32 UTC
>> x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux
>>
>> I will get an audio excerpt to post as well, and see if I can
>> replicate the bug with the --debug flag engaged.
>>
>> To manage notifications about this bug go to:
>> <https://bugs.launchpad.net/soundconverter/+bug/1881376/+subscriptions>

To post a comment you must log in.
This report contains Public information  Edit
Everyone can see this information.

Other bug subscribers